Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

So is it possible to get a single to gain 10 hearts without giving them the flowers?

I want to sample a bit of everyone before settling down.

Romance is set to 3 stages.

1-6 is friendship. You can also do 6-10 friendship if you want.

After 6, you can buy them some flowers. This sets the relationship as "romantic" and the context of some of the dialogues change. Noooobody seems to care though if you are romancing the entire town, at least not that I've seen so far.

At 10, you can choose to marry someone. This removes the single flag from everyone, sets that person to move into your farm, and causes you to become monogamous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grrarg posted:

Two days before the end of spring and it is finally raining. I was starting to wonder if one of the patches had broken my save. It rained twice the first week then nothing since. One day to catch a catfish and eel, and the Fortune Teller forecasts bad luck.

rain definitely seems to be pretty random, but i DID get like 3 days in a row of rain during fall. definitely cleaned up getting the rest of the rain fish i needed at that point, thankfully.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You don't need to tap to fish. Hold down the button until the fish is in the green area, then tap to make the fish stay where it's green.

Most problems I see for people fishing is they think they need to continually tap to make the green area go up to stay under the fish. That is a trap. You don't need to tap except if it's to keep a fish in the green zone for catching it.

Also, the bamboo rod is complete garbage. Once you can upgrade it, do so. You will soon be the River King once you start upgrading your rod.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Revol posted:

Post your farm!

I've got about a week left in Summer, Y1. Planning modifying the planting area (Except the corn) in fall to add sprinklers and then maybe working on getting a chicken coop during the fall.

I need to add more scarecrows thanks to that area of effect change. drat crow ate one of my cornstalks. :argh:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Indecisive posted:

Does grass die in the winter? I've been assuming it does but haven't seen anyone mention it yet. Got a pretty sizable self-sustaining field growing, want to know if I should stuff it all in the silo before the end of fall.

Yes. Anything growing other than trees in winter immediately becomes covered with snow and disappears.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Away all Goats posted:

Any tips for someone about to start?

Crops to avoid? Random items you can pick up that are really valuable? Most attractive farm animals?

Get a chest. It costs 50 wood so it's fairly cheap if you chop some trees down.
Potatoes are the best for spring, but you should KEEP at least one of each crops/forage goods.
Mostly everyone likes flowers.
There's 28 days in a season, not 30. Don't be a dumbass like me and have your crops die.
Upgrading tools make you lose them for 2 days. So upgrade watering cans when tomorrow is gonna be a rainy day.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Love this game but holy poo poo if it doesn't piss me off when a furnace/crop/preserve jar is replaced with a rock/branch. Is this unavoidable? I noticed it did even when i put those things behind a stone wall.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are they right up against a wall? Apparently when those start decaying (They break eventually) they'll shed pieces of wood/stone onto neighboring squares. Hence why I have pathways around my fence.

[edit] Except my Tiki Rarecrow. I need to move that guy before he gets rocked.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
So, where do i get this skull key people have been talking about?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I loving hate how fences break over time. Its dumb. The dumbest thing in a pretty awesome game.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are they right up against a wall? Apparently when those start decaying (They break eventually) they'll shed pieces of wood/stone onto neighboring squares. Hence why I have pathways around my fence.

[edit] Except my Tiki Rarecrow. I need to move that guy before he gets rocked.

Yeah it was 2 spots next to the wall but the wall had been up maybe 2 days max!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

How does the fuckin slime hutch work? I've got a blue slime and a green slime in there, but they're not producing poo poo.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
Man, I wish Jojamart had better prices. It's hard to believe that they're putting Pierre's shop out of business when everything they sell is 25% more expensive.

I mean, I don't want to shop there, but I want to feel like they're an option that I can refuse. Right now they're just shittier in every aspect.

Also, is it ever possible to rename your pet? I couldn't think of a good name when I had the chance so I just randomly generated something, but now I've got a name I'd like to use. I'm willing to edit game files if that's the only way.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Revol posted:

Post your farm!

Nearing the end of my first year (after 28 hours of play and still not done with the 1st year, dang I'm slow somehow). Been focusing a lot on the animals and done a bunch of fishing too, and donating a lot to the museum and community center, so I've wasted a lot of resources, not to mention 3 deaths in the mine - the death penalty is pretty harsh! Most recent was over 2k gold and 16 items from my backpack including some diamons and a bunch of my gold, which was a huge setback as I've only recently gotten to where the gold starts dropping. Almost all my tools are steel though and the pickaxe is in the shop to get gold-plated now, and the barn is getting upgraded. Been manually watering the field on the right the whole time, it had a stone fence around it for a while but the stones kept falling into the crops so I tore it down until I can spare enough iron. Animals have free range, since they don't appear to gently caress up the crops in any way and having them munch grass saves on hay. Invested in a few fruit trees (the 3 growing below the main field), and during the winter I plan to get a bunch of sprinklers made so I can have more time to do poo poo.

Also still got a lot of wild rear end trees on the west and south of the property, dunno how the hell you guys find the time/energy to clear the entire thing AND get to the bottom of the mine year 1.

edit: also gonna figure out a more elegant solution than "stack every container and processing box next to the house"

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 1, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For the tree taps, do they go away after producing once, or can you repeatedly harvest them?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For the tree taps, do they go away after producing once, or can you repeatedly harvest them?

They keep producing. Takes forever though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bumble posted:

Man, I wish Jojamart had better prices. It's hard to believe that they're putting Pierre's shop out of business when everything they sell is 25% more expensive.

If I had to guess, buying the membership probably cuts the prices.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Khorne posted:

For the person who was wondering, you can seed machine ancient fruit. Only wild crops and fruit tree fruit seems to not work. All of the stuff that comes from seeds and gets planted in tilled soil works as far as I can tell.
I had 1 Starfruit, I put it in the seed machine, and I got... 1 Starfruit seed. Is the seed machine always 1:1? Seems pointless if so.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Away all Goats posted:

Any tips for someone about to start?

Crops to avoid? Random items you can pick up that are really valuable? Most attractive farm animals?

The biggest way to be suboptimal is to underestimate how many crops you can handle. If you're not burning about half of your energy bar looking after your crops on a sunny day, you can handle more. You should grow all crops because they all get used in some form or fashion.

Corn is not a trap; it's the only crop that won't die during a season transition (it stays active in fall and summer), so having a good 15-20 plots of corn is insanely helpful for the fall transition when typically you will be broke as gently caress for a long while because you have to replant all new crops. Don't go full in on it though, there are other crops in summer and fall that will both be fantastic for that season (hops in Summer are especially good).

Use Fertilizer like mad once you are able to make it. It is almost criminally cheap to produce and will increase your cash in by quite a bit on the back end.

Unlike most games in this vein, it's worth befriending people early. Keep minerals and gemstones on you as gifts and never miss someone's birthday. Check the spreadsheet for gift ideas. Talk to folks when you see them.

When hitting the mines, kill all monsters first, since they contribute to finishing jobs and each monster you kill might spawn the stairs down. If you can't kill your way down, do not be afraid to spend copper ore and coal on cherry bombs. Explosives make searching for the stairs down a hundred times easier, and you gain absolutely nothing by dawdling on the shallow levels. I try to only use my pickaxe on ore and gemstone rocks to conserve my stamina. You want to get to the ice area pretty much as soon as possible because the black fuzzball enemies there drop coal regularly, and that will go a long way toward sustaining your development.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm looking at these farm screenshots and I gotta ask, is there a way to zoom out? Or are you all splicing several screenshots together?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Revol linked to a neat thing for that, Fun Times.

Revol posted:

Instructions here. I'm on a 2560x1440 monitor, so at 4x resolution I only needed two screenshots to piece this together.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Can anyone confirm the Angler Fish is in the River next to the Joja Store in Autumn? It seems like a weird place to find and Angler fish.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Met posted:

Can anyone confirm the Angler Fish is in the River next to the Joja Store in Autumn? It seems like a weird place to find and Angler fish.

Yep, that's where I caught it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
So for the Christmas event, is the secret Santa list bugged?

I was told that I was getting a gift for Leah. When I got to the event a week and a half later, it was actually Alex.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
I made the mayor guy sick and the luau party was shut down because I put sap in the community soup. I forgot to keep some food on me and I thought it wouldn't hurt :/ This game is great!

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

RIght at the start of autumn. Honey is my big moneymaker. Made one which produces the same time my flowers bloomed and learnt that every flower has a kind of honey if the hive is close to the flowers. Poppy honey sells for 480 every 3 days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DoubleNegative posted:

So for the Christmas event, is the secret Santa list bugged?

I was told that I was getting a gift for Leah. When I got to the event a week and a half later, it was actually Alex.

Yeah, it's bugged. Same thing happened to me with different people.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I don't care how chill/relaxed this game is supposed to be, this game gets me worse than Factorio. I've restarted twice trying to optimize the first 5 days :cripes:

Anyway, I've found the patch of Onions near the Wizard tower a good way to get some starting cash. How often does this thing respawn, if ever? I think the wild radish and the other thing pop up each couple of days.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fat Samurai posted:

I've restarted twice trying to optimize the first 5 days :cripes:

stop

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Please don't do that. Just.. just play the game.

As for the spring onions, they reappear two or three days after your harvest if I recall.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm sure this has been answered a bajillion times, but how does the scarecrow range work?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I restarted, and I'm super glad I did. I think my first game must have been bugged because in the mines I got almost no minerals and gems. In my new game, they're coming out the rear end, and not even on lucky days. I'm on day 10, and I already have one iridium bar.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Geektox posted:

I'm sure this has been answered a bajillion times, but how does the scarecrow range work?

Like this. 8 tiles north, south, east, and west of it. 6 tiles on the diagonal.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kickascii posted:

I had 1 Starfruit, I put it in the seed machine, and I got... 1 Starfruit seed. Is the seed machine always 1:1? Seems pointless if so.
It's random 0-3, where the 0 roll gives random seeds or something. It's a rare roll not sure the requirements of getting it. I got it a few times on some corn but never on any other crops. Maybe when your farming skill goes up the chance goes down? Or maybe it's a super low roll and I got unlucky. I've made 200+ strawberry seed packets without a fail, and I've done about 16 ancient seed packets. Would be more but I accidentally axed 4 ancient fruit vines and decided to roll with it instead of restarting the day. I still have around 16 planted right now.

It averages around 2 per input I believe. I have 3 machines and generally get 5-8, and in my biased view it's usually closer to 8 but I haven't been tracking.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Horse or golden pickaxe for getting more ores to sell? Or something else entirely like more animals?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does anyone know if the fast-gro fertilizer effects crops after they mature? For example, corn is every 4 days. If I fast-gro is it every 3 days?

It also really sucks that fertilizer disappears in between seasons. I hope they change that. If no crop is planted let it disappear, but if a crop wilts or persists it should really stick around.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Two quick questions: How do I start giving stuff to the community center? I can go to the plaque in the pantry, but it's all in a fantasy language, so I assume I have something I need to do before I can start the collections (I glanced at a wiki page about it).

Also, how do I meet the wizard/enter his tower? I want to be friends with a wizard.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

tomorrow you'll get a letter from the wizard and you'll be able to meet him and he'll teach you how to read the plaques

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

LemonAIDS posted:

tomorrow you'll get a letter from the wizard and you'll be able to meet him and he'll teach you how to read the plaques

go get high with the wizard and learn to read moonrunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
This will probably get fixed at some point, but here's a bug you can exploit: If you have a kitchen, you can make anything you like even without the recipe so long as you have the ingredients on hand or in the fridge. Just click on the greyed out silhouette and your character will make the dish. Doing so won't reveal the recipe or anything though, and short of using a guide you probably won't know what most of the dishes are except for the ones that are easy to tell from the silhouette (like Ice Cream).

If you're struggling with fishing you can use this to make the +3 fishing food (Dish O'The Sea), which needs Hashbrowns (potato and oil) and 2 Sardines.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 1, 2016