Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tropers sure do love violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hyperhazard posted:

I don't know how to feel about this. If only there were some sort of commentary like "omg this is literally the best thing ever" or "YOU. WIN. AT. LIFE." tacked on at the end.

Oh, there was, but I deleted it because it made me cringe. They said "oh my god you are a goddess." :barf:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

Tropers sure do love violence.

Every one of these has like a read between the lines thing where even if it happened, their classmates probably shunned them for being "that weird psycho kid".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
today someone at work shared the story with a bunch of people about his wife working at the hospital and encountering a "La-A" pronounced Ladasha.
I wanted to tell him that it was made up and stupid and kinda racist but I didn't want to make it weirder.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The school had computer monitors but the lunch room was in a mud pit.

Edit:

VVVV Until you posted that I was assuming it was a CRT. I'm old.

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Mar 1, 2016

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Keith Atherton posted:

The school had computer monitors but the lunch room was in a mud pit.

I just realized that my first thought was this kid shot put a CRT into this girl but it was probably an LCD and I'm old now.

The saddest troper tales are when it's not even about them, just their friend. Poor lil nerd can't even make up stories about how cool they are, they just know cool people.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

"oh my god you are a goddess."

Zeus, god of thunder.

Mars, god of war.

Aphrodite, goddess of love and sex.

Circe, goddess of chaos

Tumblria, goddess of dumb combacks at the coffee house.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

canyoneer posted:

today someone at work shared the story with a bunch of people about his wife working at the hospital and encountering a "La-A" pronounced Ladasha.
I wanted to tell him that it was made up and stupid and kinda racist but I didn't want to make it weirder.

I was at a lunch table in the faculty lounge subbing at a high school once and we got on the topic of weird names, and the nurse started talking about her daughter/friend who works in a hospital (at which point you know what's coming) and how "Male" and "Female" pronounced "MAH-li and Fa-MAH-li" are "very popular in the black community." The predominantly and probably exclusively white group of teachers chuckled, clearly not having ever heard the "joke" before, or being really good at acting and just were laughing nervously.

Part of me really wanted to say something, but :effort:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

I was at a lunch table in the faculty lounge subbing at a high school once and we got on the topic of weird names, and the nurse started talking about her daughter/friend who works in a hospital (at which point you know what's coming) and how "Male" and "Female" pronounced "MAH-li and Fa-MAH-li" are "very popular in the black community." The predominantly and probably exclusively white group of teachers chuckled, clearly not having ever heard the "joke" before, or being really good at acting and just were laughing nervously.

Congratulations on affirming racist behaviour...?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Dogfish posted:

Congratulations on affirming racist behaviour...?

They were a sub at a table full of presumably actual (aka fully employed at the school) teachers and faculty. Sweeperbravo may want to get called to sub at that school again. Sometimes power differentials make people keep their mouth shut, no reason to guilt them for it imho.

J Miracle has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Mar 1, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Batman Villain Rentals

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

Libandano Urfam posted:

This is all I can think about when I read stupid script format.

loving hell this is awesome

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Tunicate posted:

Batman Villain Rentals

and that's terrible

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tunicate posted:

Batman Villain Rentals

The father's and son's name? Donald Trump.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Libandano Urfam posted:

I may not be the ENTIRE thread but I sure as gently caress applauded at the end of this, sweet baby jesus

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Batman Villain Rentals

I know this is stdh so there's little reason to pick it apart, but I love that he needs to ask if he will own the land the house has been moved to. Because that's how land ownership works.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

J Miracle posted:

They were a sub at a table full of presumably actual (aka fully employed at the school) teachers and faculty. Sweeperbravo may want to get called to sub at that school again. Sometimes power differentials make people keep their mouth shut, no reason to guilt them for it imho.

I see your point, but then why mention their own role in the conversation at all?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Dogfish posted:

I see your point, but then why mention their own role in the conversation at all?

The person I quoted told a similar story. I just kept my head down and kept eating my meal. Yeah, I guess I'm a shitlord as well, but it's kind of water over the dam as it was like 2 years ago by now. Also the nurse is like gotta be nearing 70.

Also, I mention my own role because I do kind of feel residually guilty about it. Idk, what would you have done in my position?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

sweeperbravo posted:

The person I quoted told a similar story. I just kept my head down and kept eating my meal. Yeah, I guess I'm a shitlord as well, but it's kind of water over the dam as it was like 2 years ago by now. Also the nurse is like gotta be nearing 70.

Also, I mention my own role because I do kind of feel residually guilty about it. Idk, what would you have done in my position?

Norma Rae-d yourself up onto the table in a Crowning Moment of Awesome, given a Badass Monologue about how racism hurts everyone, Kramered out of the room flipping birds at all the mundanes, then had Marine Albert Einstein carry you to your car a la An Officer and a Gentleman, while the entire school applauded and the sobbing nurse donated her year's paycheck to Black Lives Matter, of course.

It's like you haven't even been reading this thread at all!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I almost want to believe this, based on a report from my old roommate that an American tourist asked him "how much is $5 in Canadian?", as in, "How many dollars is your five dollar bill worth". But this is on the internet and is thus immediately suspect.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cash crab posted:

"how much is $5 in Canadian?", as in, "How many dollars is your five dollar bill worth".

Without any context, it sounds more like "how many Canadian dollars is my five American dollars worth", which is a fair question.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

Really it was this I was reacting to:

sweeperbravo posted:

I understand being embarrassed or afraid, but this bit just came off as really flippant. I don't think you're a shitlord, but I don't think that last bit was necessary.

To answer your question, usually I say something like "Not unless your niece/friend/coworker works in an urban legend!" and make a joke out of it. Or I'll just be like, "Awww, that's rude!" in a light tone of voice. On the one hand, I understand and sympathise with letting things slide because I know it's hard to speak up, but on the other hand too many people who can't tell I'm Jewish tell me anti-Semitic jokes for me to excuse it. You don't have to call people out aggressively; sometimes a little pushback is all that's needed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Libandano Urfam posted:

:roboluv:

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Dogfish posted:

I understand being embarrassed or afraid, but this bit just came off as really flippant. I don't think you're a shitlord, but I don't think that last bit was necessary.

To answer your question, usually I say something like "Not unless your niece/friend/coworker works in an urban legend!" and make a joke out of it. Or I'll just be like, "Awww, that's rude!" in a light tone of voice. On the one hand, I understand and sympathise with letting things slide because I know it's hard to speak up, but on the other hand too many people who can't tell I'm Jewish tell me anti-Semitic jokes for me to excuse it. You don't have to call people out aggressively; sometimes a little pushback is all that's needed.

"Hey we need a math sub, and don't send that one that was such a jerk to Mary last time."

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

J Miracle posted:

"Hey we need a math sub, and don't send that one that was such a jerk to Mary last time."

Yeah man I don't know, I work on a labour and delivery floor which means I hear a lot of nonsense directed at various minority groups, and I nearly always push back but also I have great relationships with the nurses so it must be possible to not affirm racist jokes without undermining relationships with coworkers somehow?

Like, you can also just look visibly uncomfortable if you don't want to say anything. Just don't be comfortable with racism, and don't laugh.

Dogfish has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Mar 1, 2016

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I saw on some other thread that you're not from the U.S. so you may not realize how shifty being a substitute teacher is. At least where when I did it, you don't get called in the morning, you don't get paid. When I was doing it I wouldn't have risked a school developing a bad feeling about me and maybe off handedly saying "don't send the last guy again he's a bad fit here", because as much as I hate racism I also enjoy eating and having a place to live, and if you are subbing you're probably hand to mouth. Further there ARE no "coworkers" it's just strangers you want to have neutral to good feelings about you.

It's easy to castigate someone and imagine you wouldn't have just uncomfortably laughed and resumed eating while desperately hoping the convo moves on, but it's kinda lovely imho to ignore power differentials and economic poo poo

J Miracle has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Mar 1, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If your boss makes an off color joke you laugh. The Romans did it, the Africans did it and I do it.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Dogfish posted:

Ohhh I gotcha, fair enough. It was being flippant more for the sake of this being in this thread and being on SA than me really feeling like racism isn't worth confronting. Bad attempt at humor on my part.

I think if it was a situation where I wasn't like the lowest on the totem pole in the room (at the time I was 23 and still looked like I was a student in the high schoo) maybe I would have felt more comfortable about saying something.

I guess it's one of those situations where, for me, it's really rare that I actually come across someone who actually expresses a racist viewpoint in that kind of blatant manner so I'm usually so baffled by the fact that someone actually said something like that and wasn't just part of an email forward that I have no idea how to react. I'm pretty defensive over gay/trans issues, but feel less comfortable being as outspoken about race. Something I need to work on.

Sorry for contributing to a derail, everyone. Let's talk about more stdh :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tunicate posted:

Batman Villain Rentals

A parasitic landlord has their home liberated from them by the heroic working class. A Good STDH.txt.

Seriously don't demand four months' worth of rent to fix the AC and get surprised when they're like "Ummm gently caress you actually". What the poo poo. Did you even loving look up your obligations as a landlord before getting your loving investment property

ametris
Dec 14, 2011

Furia posted:

Zeus, god of thunder.

Mars, god of war.

Aphrodite, goddess of love and sex.

Circe, goddess of chaos

Tumblria, goddess of dumb combacks at the coffee house.

Wasn't that one of Pratchett's goddesses?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

cash crab posted:

I almost want to believe this, based on a report from my old roommate that an American tourist asked him "how much is $5 in Canadian?", as in, "How many dollars is your five dollar bill worth". But this is on the internet and is thus immediately suspect.

There is a WWII joke in there somewhere.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Meals

quote:

This troper doesn't typically eat large meals (although she does have an affinity for large bowls of salad), just slightly-larger-than-average, but instead constantly snacks on junk food. Give me a bag of Doritos - and I mean the big bags - and it'll disappear. Despite both this and the fact that the only significant regular exercise I get is playing DDR, I'm quite thin. I should be roughly spherical if you take the amount and extremely variable nutritional content of stuff I eat and divide it by the fact that all I ever do is laze around and sometimes play Rock Band (DDR got shelved when that came along, but at least drumming on Hard/Expert is exercise), but I'm pretty much dead average. Not skinny as a rail, but nowhere near overweight either. Of course, I balance this out with the fact that I'll just not eat/not eat anything substantial if there's nothing in the house that I want, or if I'm too absorbed in what I'm doing to want to stop for the time it would take to get something out of the fridge, stick it on a plate/dump it in a bowl, and microwave it.

Calamari

quote:

I generally seem to fit some of the previous stories - I pig out on junk food and never seem to gain weight despite having a lifestyle which would be more akin to a sloth than a human being - but one incident is clear in my mind: I believe it was a geography trip to central Spain to do coursework on the flow of a river, and we were served calamari one night. Nobody else wanted to eat it ("ew, squid!") but I was in luck: I love calamari, and our hosts did particularly excellent calamari. I shrugged, finished off my plate and offered to eat anyone else's if they didn't want it. These were long tables seating about fourteen people per table, and I was on one end. I finished off the plates of the entire table and then asked for seconds. The cooking staff loved me, the others in the class were gobsmacked.

Stealth

quote:

This troper comes from a family of Stealth Big Eaters. We *love* food—our travel destinations are usually planned around places that have good places to eat, my incredibly busy parents cook a full borderline-gourmet dinner every single night, hell, my writer/director father even writes newspaper and magazine articles on food for s**ts and giggles. The kicker? We're all in ridiculously good shape, very healthy, and we all hate actual exercise. I'm 23, 5'8 and weigh 110 lbs. I share clothes with my fifty-something mother, and we both eat at least 4 meals a day. My 19 year old brother and my 60 year old father have *identical* builds.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
I wonder how many vitamin deficiencies those people have. Just because you're thin doesn't mean you're healthy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hexal posted:

I wonder how many vitamin deficiencies those people have. Just because you're thin doesn't mean you're healthy.

It also doesn't mean you'll be thin forever. That 23 year old who eats like that is going to balloon up and triple his weight eventually.

Also who outside of STDH stories uses the word "gobsmacked" anymore?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Khazar-khum posted:

Meals

Calamari

Stealth

poo poo that *did* happen: I too could eat tons of unhealthy stuff at 14 and remain thin as a rail, only to blow up like a balloon in my mid-20s. I wonder how these tropers look now.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

System Metternich posted:

poo poo that *did* happen: I too could eat tons of unhealthy stuff at 14 and remain thin as a rail, only to blow up like a balloon in my mid-20s. I wonder how these tropers look now.

Skinnyfat is A Thing and eventually they'll have the heart disease to show for it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

FWIW, My fiance is a nurse practitioner working at our local hospital's NICU, and apparently there is a baby there right now with the name "xxxxx, Female" (with the x's being the mothers last name). While that alone isn't totally uncommon, because this is how they fill out names if the parents haven't chosen one yet, according to my fiance, the mother has no intention of changing the baby's name... :(

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
This must be STDH, who plays TOR?

(I really hope it's STDH)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I hope that actually happened because if it's true he deserves so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I hate smug "I eat whatever I want and never gain weight" bragging. No one cares. It's not a decent barometer of health just to be thin. If you can't get up three flights of stairs without heaving, your waistline is irrelevant.

• Locked thread