Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yennefer is a great card because she is a pretty high strength while also being a medic and immune to weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man that's sad when you meet the woman who knew Vesamir. I guess if you haven't bothered to do that part of the game and met her it would have different dialog?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Strategic Tea posted:

And he totally nails it in the Witcher ending, when he asks if Ciri ever said anything about him before going off to maybe die. He's totally incapable of turning off his political mind but in the end he genuinely wanted to know his daughter :(
I loved that part because I just had my Good Dad Geralt go all ice cold and be all like , "No, why we should she?" and then not long after he got shanked to death for failing to beat Radovid.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I just realized my save file bugged out and decided that Letho died in the last game when I actually let him live. Is there any way I can alter my save after play starts? I just finished Act 1 and I really don't want to slog through that again (seriously I'm already up to like 100 hours, this game is loving huge).

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Second run through, just finished being asked the witcher 2 backstory questions and I thought I should probably have a decent idea of what has happened and answer the questions properly this time.

Nope still didnt really know what any of them meant, hopefully I didnt kill a character I like or something. :v:

I did find out that Roche is a bigot or racist of some sort, which has changed my perception a bit. I still know I will side with him in the major late game decision this time. Because I felt horrible throwing him and the cobbler under the bus.

I actually liked Dijkstra as a character. I felt he was fairly pragmatic and mostly honest, if a bit of a wanker.

This game

Edit: Speaking of Gwent, I need to get the bloody baron card this time. Also where do I find the nilfgaard leader card that lets you you pick up a card from the your oppone ts' used deck

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 1, 2016

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

fickle poofterist posted:

Second run through, just finished being asked the witcher 2 backstory questions and I thought I should probably have a decent idea of what has happened and answer the questions properly this time.

Nope still didnt really know what any of them meant, hopefully I didnt kill a character I like or something. :v:

I did find out that Roche is a bigot or racist of some sort, which has changed my perception a bit. I still know I will side with him in the major late game decision this time. Because I felt horrible throwing him and the cobbler under the bus.

I actually liked Dijkstra as a character. I felt he was fairly pragmatic and mostly honest, if a bit of a wanker.

This game

Edit: Speaking of Gwent, I need to get the bloody baron card this time. Also where do I find the nilfgaard leader card that lets you you pick up a card from the your oppone ts' used deck

This will tell you all what you need to know about Roche:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBGFiyq75w

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I didn't expect a Heist, and I didn't expect poo poo to get all Silent Hill.

I really hope Iron and Wine is this good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

twistedmentat posted:

The heist was the weak point in the expansion, but the third wish was really incredibly good.

Also, "A trader?" "In spices." gets a chuckle out of me every time.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Savy Saracen salad posted:

This will tell you all what you need to know about Roche:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBGFiyq75w

Haha so hes a shithead like everyone else

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This is me: while I download 11gb of updates for this video game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So I think I’m at the end of Act 1. Roughly how much through the actual game am I? I’m level 22 and have done most of the grey sidequests, aside from one or two which I’ve been putting off because they look plot/character relevant but I hate that “XP gained: 1 :downs:” message deeply.

Also, when do I get to go back to Kaer Morhen? I just want my drat Wolf School armor. Level 14 recommended my arse.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I think I’m at the end of Act 1. Roughly how much through the actual game am I? I’m level 22 and have done most of the grey sidequests, aside from one or two which I’ve been putting off because they look plot/character relevant but I hate that “XP gained: 1 :downs:” message deeply.

Also, when do I get to go back to Kaer Morhen? I just want my drat Wolf School armor. Level 14 recommended my arse.

Go back? Whenever you want once you've been there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

toggle posted:

This is me: while I download 11gb of updates for this video game

You made me excitedly check my steam download history and find nothing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Go back? Whenever you want once you've been there.
Well, go back in the sense that I was there in the tutorial and Geralt's from there.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I think I’m at the end of Act 1. Roughly how much through the actual game am I?
I'd say you've finished roughly 40% of the main quest.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well, go back in the sense that I was there in the tutorial and Geralt's from there.
It happens right at the end of Act 1/begining of Act 2.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

twistedmentat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyiSg_iNLSI

Some people think it's a little obnoxious, but I'm a fan, particularly of his earlier stuff before his voice got confident.

EDIT: Oh, you mean Blood & Wine? Yeah, it should be dope, but it won't have the longing or bearded vulnerability of Iron & Wine. (probably)

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 1, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Palpek posted:

It happens right at the end of Act 1/begining of Act 2.
ah, awesome :)

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Some people think it's a little obnoxious, but I'm a fan, particularly of his earlier stuff before his voice got confident.
I liked him until Kiss Each Other Clean came out and it had a kind of weird thing going on and then I went to see him live (having seen him before and loved it) and he was bloody awful. rip

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

gently caress that, Zerrikania or bust. Witchering in the world of the Arabian Nights would be amazing.

Oh my god is there a Middle Eastern Witcher setting

Megazver posted:

I disagree. Half of what made Witcher 3 good was Poles making a game about Poland and the depth that came from that. Even Skellige was like that because Poles have a lot of history with the northern peoples. Zerrikania on the other hand they have almost zero source material to lean on and barely any insight into the lands that inspired it beyond what they could studiously, but superficially learn just for the game. I think HoS showed it. The band that came for the prince was okay-ish, what we saw of it, but the two Zerikkanian NPCs that we got were probably the most boring conversations there are to be had in the game.

Yeah actually. I think I mentioned in this thread before but I visited Poland for the first time last year to see a friend that had moved back. While we were there we went to Gdansk for a festival, saw the city as well, enjoyed it a lot. I bought Witcher 3 while I was there because I thought it would make a nice souvenir.

Then I got to Novigrad in game... and holy poo poo it is literally Gdansk 600 years ago. I was blown away with it. Even the outdoors felt like real places I had just been to instead of just Fantasy Setting 12.

I keep wondering how many tiny references to Polish things I'm missing throughout the game because the game seems packed with them - but to the average foreigner it seems like instead of referencing Polish things they are making this huge world out of nothing

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

twistedmentat posted:

Man that's sad when you meet the woman who knew Vesamir. I guess if you haven't bothered to do that part of the game and met her it would have different dialog?

I met her earlier, unaware of what was coming in the main quest, so i expect there's different dialog for each. Only one person has commented on my face brand though.

In related news, these shades are possibly the best addition in any DLC of any game.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I sold those ugly pieces of poo poo as soon as i figured out they have no purpose

What is the 11g update for?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh my god is there a Middle Eastern Witcher setting

Ofier/Zerrikania/a few other places are inspired by the Middle East and Africa, but are not really fleshed out yet so it could be cool as hell to have a Witcher game set there.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Unless it is filled with people that speak like the runewrights "to see you here again, good it is"

That would be grating. On the other hand I think I turned into a CDPR fanboy at some point and would no doubt play the poo poo out of it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, in fact Poland does have a history with Mongolian Empire. It's also a pretty important part of Polish history that had a big influence on traditional Polish food and culture to the point of Middle-Eastern clothing being incorporated into traditional Polish aristocratic outfits.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I, for one, can't wait for the next Witcher 3 expansion, Hearts of Wine.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Palpek posted:

Well, in fact Poland does have a history with Mongolian Empire. It's also a pretty important part of Polish history that had a big influence on traditional Polish food and culture to the point of Middle-Eastern clothing being incorporated into traditional Polish aristocratic outfits.

What you mean with middle eastern clothing and weaponry has nothing to do with the Mongol invasions up to the 13th century, but with the contact and conflict with the Ottoman Empire and it's vassals up to the early 18th century.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, sorry I mixed up the wiki link. The overall idea I wanted to convey is that Poland does have influences from that side and not only from the North or current neighboring countries like that quoted guy was implying.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

twistedmentat posted:

The painted world quest was one of the best RPG quests I've ever done. It's simply incredible.

As for the heist: "BRING ME RADOVID'S CORONATION CARRIAGE, NOTHING LESS."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think my favorite thing about the animation in this game is the subtle stuff like the laugh lines and cheek folds actually moving when somebody is talking. I really noticed it on Triss and it makes a world of difference seeing skin move like its supposed to.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Did they use any motion capture for the characters? The expressions and facial movements are just spot on in a way that would be super-impressive if not.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ThomasPaine posted:

Did they use any motion capture for the characters? The expressions and facial movements are just spot on in a way that would be super-impressive if not.

They definitely used mo-cap. I only know that because they talked about how there are mo-capped sex scenes, though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think my favorite thing about the animation in this game is the subtle stuff like the laugh lines and cheek folds actually moving when somebody is talking. I really noticed it on Triss and it makes a world of difference seeing skin move like its supposed to.

Ciri's fake sulky face when she loses rock paper scissors with Geralt is probably the most endearing animation ever made.

That and Geralt's ten-year-old smirk when Yen (I think) makes some totally oblivious innuendo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There are many videos showing the mocap sessions and they definitely mocaped every character movement for every scene. Faces seem to have been mocaped separately from body though. You can also probably thank the amazing Polish animators too as that's another thing that is done really well in Poland.

Here's a cool April fool's video from CDPR showing the combat mocap. It's cool to see Geralt's characteristic moves that you've seen a thousand times in the game done in real life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvrQt6s7a-0

That stuntman owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really makes me wonder how well acrobatics would work in a real fight. You watch videos of HEMA bouts and they are very close quarters (like extremely close), and jumping and spinning is a good way to get yourself killed or leave an opening for an attack.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I remember an early interview where they said they had HEMA type people mocap the fighting for regular people, then did the Witchers' moves totally separately to make them seem that much more different.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Interesting. I can buy into the idea that Geralt is superhumanly fast and accept his acrobatic combat style as a concession of the setting. I don't meant to be a pedant and dismiss something because it wouldn't work in the "real world".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

EDIT: Oh, you mean Blood & Wine? Yeah, it should be dope, but it won't have the longing or bearded vulnerability of Iron & Wine. (probably)

Derp, yep, that's what I meant. I'm curious where it's going to take place. There's a lot of empty space on both major maps, like entire Islands in Skellige that have nothing on them.

Shannow posted:

I met her earlier, unaware of what was coming in the main quest, so i expect there's different dialog for each. Only one person has commented on my face brand though.

In related news, these shades are possibly the best addition in any DLC of any game.

Why you wouldn't buy them I don't know? I wish Geralt had not gotten kicked out, I wanted to see what else was for sale.

SirSamVimes posted:

The heist was the weak point in the expansion, but the third wish was really incredibly good.

Also, "A trader?" "In spices." gets a chuckle out of me every time.

Yea, I was just surprised that there was one. Doesn't seem to fit the detective/one man army thing that Witcher games tend to focus on. I'm half way through the Painted World Quest and yea, its pretty amazing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A poster on /r/witcher translated a pretty good interview with one of the writers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/48grqw/this_is_how_you_make_the_witcher_an_interview/

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I enjoyed the heist. The music helped!

Though it does seem that every major RPG these days includes ones (1) heist quest.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Interesting. I can buy into the idea that Geralt is superhumanly fast and accept his acrobatic combat style as a concession of the setting. I don't meant to be a pedant and dismiss something because it wouldn't work in the "real world".

I don't want to control a fat LARPer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Strategic Tea posted:

I enjoyed the heist. The music helped!

Though it does seem that every major RPG these days includes ones (1) heist quest.

It's not bad, it's just the least good part of the expansion.