Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Lynkericious posted:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Fight Stick for a PS4 player on a budget? I'd like to play more SFV, but I keep messing up reactionary inputs on my controller, so I want something that's easier to be precise with.

the HRAP4's were 100 for a while during the beta, wouldnt be surprised to see them there again at some point. thats about the only budget option everything else now seems to be 200+ except for the hori and mad catz baby sticks. A used PS3/360 stick with the convertor is an option as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

With Chun how should I be punishing jump ins? I use st.lk which is pretty good for defense but does so little damage and I can't really take advantage of it. So a jump in is a low risk/high reward if I don't get the anti air out in time

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Air throw guarantees meaty setups at least, idk about safejumps. Go for dash under mixups off lk

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
You can dash under them for a mix up after st. lk

Back hk is pretty okay for cross up attempts. You can also air throw or j. mp xx legs

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Hey, my first ragequit! I was wondering when that would happen. It was against a Ryu player named CuteGirl or some poo poo, and they seemed unable to cope with the fact that their jump back hadouken --> jump forward roundhouse sweep didn't work. Sucks, because they were a higher rank than me and I would've gotten a bunch of free points off of them, but ah well. Who cares about points.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Turn on japanese voices, smdh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ayGQm2yKZ4

I mean some of them are insane, like english ryu and necalli vs japanese ryu and necalli. I'm not even a weeb

The only stand-out to me is Bison. I've only used his English voice so far but I might have to change that now. He's fine but the Japanese guy (yes I know who he is, just can't remember his name) is hilarious.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Lynkericious posted:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Fight Stick for a PS4 player on a budget? I'd like to play more SFV, but I keep messing up reactionary inputs on my controller, so I want something that's easier to be precise with.

Crosspost from imp zone. Kinda old but still works.
http://m.imgur.com/8dsdvpL

edit oops saw the ps4 part now. Also what's lijoes twitch?

Double edit its ThisIsLIJoe

OxMan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 1, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

With Chun how should I be punishing jump ins? I use st.lk which is pretty good for defense but does so little damage and I can't really take advantage of it. So a jump in is a low risk/high reward if I don't get the anti air out in time

Did they catch you off-guard or is it a very deep crossup? LK, dash in for a throw/cross under mixup.

Were you ready for the jump and they're attempting an ambiguous crossup? bHK, dash in for a throw/cross under mixup.

Are they really far out and want to tag you with a far-reaching button? bHP, buffer HK Legs or Super in case it's a Crush Counter.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ok so discounting ex bird because I think saving meter is really important:

It's important to try to get optimal damage from your antiairs with chun and it can be kinda hard when jab/s.lk work so well vs many things, so here are some tips. First of all don't use jab, I overuse it and am having to retrain myself it's sadly good enough to work a lot but the hitbox is clearly worse than s.lk and the startup is the same. From far back+HP vs a lot of characters, especially ones like Laura that jump with mediums, you can get crush counters into fireball or lightning legs as well. Vs many close range jumps that normally you need to space correctly with s.lk you should aim to immediately back+HK and if you have trigger just activate and get the free 2xx damage off the antiair, this is tricky because the move is not very fast and you obviously don't want to give someone a counter hit jump in. The command standing medium punch is also worth noting because it will get you more damage than s.lk but is harder to use, another thing to use vs far jumps.

Air to airs: Jump medium punch cancelled into legs does 120 damage(iirc), this can in theory be pretty good but throw does about the same damage and gives a knockdown. Jump jab aside from that is godlike and is an instant overhead, don't bother with her other jump moves on the reg as reaction antiairs, the hitbox and speed of her jump normals is remarkably mediocre.

But most of all be ready to dash under point blank jump ins, fastest dash in the game(I think, or tied for it?). I think Chun's biggest weakness in this game is simply that a lot of antiairing some characters is guess work or requires too much prediction. I've lost a lot of matches from trying things that don't work and eating full damage combos lol.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
did they patch the pc version to work with the official branded controllers yet

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lynkericious posted:

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting...ght+commander+4

I bought the Japanese version since Amazon takes forever to ship here but they are pretty much the exact same controller. You can rotate the D-Pad like 20 degrees to the right and adjust the diagonal sensitivity with a knob the on back. I put the right side of the controller on my thigh and tap the buttons like you would a stick. It's cheap because there is no blutooth, analog sticks, rumble, or any other features you'd find in a PS4 controller. However the components that are in the controller are really good and it only tries to do one specific thing which is be used for fighting games.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 1, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zand posted:

of course not

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I emotionally can't handle being right around rank. cause the constant win one lose one or so, has me rank up then lose it. I can't deal with so much loss.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqWs6sc0-x8

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Reznor posted:

I emotionally can't handle being right around rank. cause the constant win one lose one or so, has me rank up then lose it. I can't deal with so much loss.
this is the rankings working as intended. if you don't win enough at a certain level to move on, you're where you should be.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting...ght+commander+4

I bought the Japanese version since Amazon takes forever to ship here but they are pretty much the exact same controller. You can rotate the D-Pad like 20 degrees to the right and adjust the diagonal sensitivity with a knob the on back. I put the right side of the controller on my thigh and tap the buttons like you would a stick. It's cheap because there is no blutooth, analog sticks, rumble, or any other features you'd find in a PS4 controller. However the components that are in the controller are really good and it only tries to do one specific thing which is be used for fighting games.

It cannot be said how much better this pad is than the madcatz pad. The best pad since the saturn pad IMO.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

cams posted:

this is the rankings working as intended. if you don't win enough at a certain level to move on, you're where you should be.

I know what he means though. When your correct resting state is on a promotion boundary it's a constant stream of 'Promo!'(Yay).....'Demoted'(awwww).....'Promo!'(Yay).....'Demoted'(awwww).....'Promo!'(Yay).....'Demoted'(awwww).....

cams
Mar 28, 2003

RossCo posted:

I know what he means though. When your correct resting state is on a promotion boundary it's a constant stream of 'Promo!'(Yay).....'Demoted'(awwww).....'Promo!'(Yay).....'Demoted'(awwww).....'Promo!'(Yay).....'Demoted'(awwww).....
yeah i know. i'm at the point where i only play ranked when i'm really feeling it, cause i can still very easily lose to low ranked players. doesn't happen often, when it does it's like 90-120 points lost. i get 10-25 points from beating these players.

MY POIINTSSSSSS

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
bo1 against bad players can be a nightmare because you don't really have time to adjust to them being total nutjobs unless they're like hold up forward and never stop mashing bad. even bo3 can be a nightmare if you aren't ready to deal with someone who only vaguely knows what they're doing

someone post that rufus player getting clowned on and failing to adjust, or even just punish dps please

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Stop flattering us scrublords pomp, we know we're poo poo. As some nerd once said "It is a very wise thing to simulate madness".

cams
Mar 28, 2003

was just watching li joe commentate his own matches at winter brawl. i think it would be really good for newer players to watch this little bit posted below, just a few minutes while joe analyzes this one moment in one of his matches

http://www.twitch.tv/thisislijoe/v/51647586?t=23m01s

when he's talking about what happened while julio had him cornered, you'll learn a lot about the game itself and what to look for in your losses.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I feel really dumb asking but I don't understand the frames references. I understand frames per second and frames of animation for cartoons and stuff. So when people talk about frames are they talking about how many frames of animation a movement is? Wouldn't that vary from computer to PS4 and computer to computer because of video cards and other variables? I googled "Fighting games frames" and got some flip book reference but it's not really clicking for me.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's related to the FPS, and it's just the amount of frames an action takes up yes. Fighting games also generally don't function under or over their fixed fps either.

Something with 3 frame start up takes 3/60ths of a second to hit, unless it's some garbage game that runs at 30fps

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Wouldn't that vary from computer to PS4 and computer to computer because of video cards and other variables?

No. The game renders at a fixed 60 fps. It is unplayable on low-end machines because of this, but it's very critical to the gameplay.

You can't have variable frame rates because of the moves - a 7 frame move has to be 7/60th of a second the first time and every time after that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I feel really dumb asking but I don't understand the frames references. I understand frames per second and frames of animation for cartoons and stuff. So when people talk about frames are they talking about how many frames of animation a movement is? Wouldn't that vary from computer to PS4 and computer to computer because of video cards and other variables? I googled "Fighting games frames" and got some flip book reference but it's not really clicking for me.

SF5 runs at a fixed 60 frames per second, which is why the game slows down rather than skip frames if your computer can't run it at 60 frames per second (e.g. if your computer can only run it at 30fps, it takes 2 seconds to go through 1 second of game instead of skipping half the frames). It also runs at a fixed 60 frames per second on PS4.

She seems cool, and now I want her in SF5. :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Is there a reason why fighting games don't decouple rendering and have the game logic update at a set tickrate? Well, besides :effort:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Arzachel posted:

Is there a reason why fighting games don't decouple rendering and have the game logic update at a set tickrate? Well, besides :effort:

Surely then your actions on the pad would not directly correlate with what's happening on the screen to within the same accuracy?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yeah shimmy yay
Gimme the initiative so I can take it away
Off on a buffered charge bon-voyage
Yeah from the home of the microstep squad
some nice posting here

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

!Klams posted:

Surely then your actions on the pad would not directly correlate with what's happening on the screen to within the same accuracy?

You would still render at a fixed multiple of the game's simulation tickrate, but skipping frames seems like a way better fallback than slowing down the simulation when Capcom can't even get all the stages to stay at 60 fps on the loving PS4.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this is gonna get ugly

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick
anyone know about streaming stuff? My friend who occasionally streams ST and SF4 can't capture his PS4 because of the hdmi encryption layer(or something like that, hes getting a "Game is copyrighted" error) on his avermedia device. Is this something easy to get around?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

anyone know about streaming stuff? My friend who occasionally streams ST and SF4 can't capture his PS4 because of the hdmi encryption layer(or something like that, hes getting a "Game is copyrighted" error) on his avermedia device. Is this something easy to get around?
turn off HDCP and/or run the PS4 through a stripper

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why the gently caress is that a thing

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I feel really dumb asking but I don't understand the frames references. I understand frames per second and frames of animation for cartoons and stuff.

It's the animation of a particular move. Each move (and thus animation) in the game has 3 parts to it:

1) Startup, the animation of the move before it is able to hit.
When someone says "Necalli has a 3 frame jab" it means that Necalli's jab (LP) has 3 frames of startup animation. (Actually it gets complicated there, but I'll keep this simple)

2) Active, the animation of the move while it is able to hit.
Active frames are basically never referenced by anyone, but generally, the more active frames, the easier it is to perform a meaty attack.

3) Recovery, the animation of the move after it is unable to hit.
Lots of recovery frames are bad, and makes a move easier to whiff punish. With many moves, you can CANCEL the recovery frames by immediately performing a special move. The recovery of a move (in combination with its block-stun or hit-stun) determines if a move is at frame advantage or not. If a move is -3 on block, that means it can be punished by a move with 3 frame startup, or you can do whatever you want for 3 frames because they're still in recovery.

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Disable HDCP in settings>system. It should be disabled by default when the game is being played though sooooo

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Ranks Don't Matter

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

that http://sfv.fightinggame.community/ site owns for starkly exposing what your worst matchups are on a personal level, apparently i've only won 20% of my vs. necali matches

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Ranks Don't Matter
no, i feel like they did a good job of building a system that places you into an area relative to your skill. it is a somewhat decent form of scorekeeping.

cams fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 1, 2016

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The league system in SFV is actually pretty good, I think. It's never gonna be perfect (especially in its infancy when there are still killers who just haven't put in the ranked time yet) but I feel like 90% of my ranked opponents are within fair margins of more/same/less skilled.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Zand posted:

Negatory :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

The league system in SFV is actually pretty good, I think. It's never gonna be perfect (especially in its infancy when there are still killers who just haven't put in the ranked time yet) but I feel like 90% of my ranked opponents are within fair margins of more/same/less skilled.
enforce anarchy