Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ugh, browsing this thread makes me want to restart my Gunpla hobby, grab a MG Tallgeese, acquire a MG Tallgeese 3 somehow, and try airbrushing my models for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Is that supposed to be all three at the same time?

No, but the suit it's based on is. The FOX HOUND is an extra-shooty custom version.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there a way to buy the little protective cover that comes with God Hand nippers by itself? I am tempted to buy the GH just for that cuz it's neat and seems better than wrapping a rubber band around my nippers to keep it closed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

TaurusOxford posted:

MG Gundam X is not better. Don't listen to blitzblast's inevitable lies. :colbert:

Watch your back. :colbert:

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, Gundam Double X is even better than Gundam X

MG DX actually is better but still you should totally get MG X just on principle.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Oh the Fox Hound is 37 bucks from good game ininite. That's not too horrible a price I think.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Oh the Fox Hound is 37 bucks from good game ininite. That's not too horrible a price I think.

When the retail price is 10bux, that's pretty steep. Just hit up Samueldecal.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

Nobody mentioned how the V-fin looks like a cowboy hat.

I didn't think I could want it more, but then...

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

When the retail price is 10bux, that's pretty steep. Just hit up Samueldecal.

I have no idea on how to order from samuel decal. I sent a couple of emails a year ago about some decals but never got an answer.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Is there a good place to buy stickers for specific kits? I lost the sticker sheet for my Turn X.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So, gently caress
FUUUUUUCK

I was working on redoing the thigh part of my Papillon project, when I looked inside and saw that the polycap housing had completely cracked, causing the polycap itself to fall out and be useless. I checked its cannibalized spare, and that one cracked and fell out from the top just with a little modest movement of the polycap within its normal range.

So as I embark on dropping dosh for another Qubeley Papillon (unless anyone has one partially built or at least un-stickered for me to buy) I ask this: is there any way to increase the strength of the polycap holes? I'm not looking for much, just enough to stiffen them without being too brittle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I have no idea on how to order from samuel decal. I sent a couple of emails a year ago about some decals but never got an answer.

Email should do it. Try again?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

zelah posted:

The new Gundam RX-78-2 HG would be a good second kit to go with your Char. Those were my first kits and now I can't stop!

The hg RX 78 is great. He looks cool in literally any pose you put him in.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really need to find time to get back into this hobby.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Make sure you email order@samueldecal.com and not orders@samueldecal.com.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ok so by my approximation you can make the Gusion with the Barbatos' and Rebake's frame parts, but the rebake can't be made with Barbatos' frame parts.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.

Bimmi posted:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, follow through with this advice.

Thank you for the heads up. I don't trust CA honestly because I work with polymer clay (which is technically plastic) and it causes all kinds of problems with cured clay. I'm going to take your advice and strengthen both sides. You're right those pieces are way too thin. I also have this UV light activated glue like what dentists use (my dad gave this to me recently and I have yet to test it out). I'll have to run some experiments and report back if that works well on plasic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's probably UV curing epoxy, which is likely to be pretty good. Test on some scraps, of course, but you should be able to sculpt it very precisely and then cure it rock hard.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Blackish Sheep posted:

Thank you for the heads up. I don't trust CA honestly because I work with polymer clay (which is technically plastic) and it causes all kinds of problems with cured clay. I'm going to take your advice and strengthen both sides. You're right those pieces are way too thin. I also have this UV light activated glue like what dentists use (my dad gave this to me recently and I have yet to test it out). I'll have to run some experiments and report back if that works well on plasic.

If you choose to go the laminate-plastic route, CA glue will work fine — bonding wide, flat surfaces is exactly what it's best for. I would still recommend a regular plastic cement for rejoining the kit pieces. Definitely test this UV stuff on some scrap before trying it on anything important.

It's annoying when parts break. Easier now that you can seek out solutions online, but there's still a certain amount of deduction and improvisation to the process. Good luck.

muike posted:

Ok so by my approximation you can make the Gusion with the Barbatos' and Rebake's frame parts, but the rebake can't be made with Barbatos' frame parts.

Here's a guide to adapting the Barbatos frame to fit the Gusion... not sure how helpful it really is, but it's a start:

http://www.modelers-g.jp/modules/myalbum2/photo.php?lid=832

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

UV glue is also used a lot in clear parts. I haven't personally used it so I cannot testify to how better it is to the alternative PVC glue (never use poly cement on clear parts, it'll smelt them; also CA releases fumes when curing, which wrecks clear parts)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Model Legend finished up a MG to MB Strike Freedom conversion kit.

I guess we know what Dragon Momoko's next kit will be.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Model Legend finished up a MG to MB Strike Freedom conversion kit.

I guess we know what Dragon Momoko's next kit will be.

:flashfap:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Blackish Sheep posted:

I'm going to take your advice and strengthen both sides. You're right those pieces are way too thin.

One more bit of advice: see if you can find a hobby shop near you that carries Plastruct products. They have ABS sheet and structural forms (I-beams, strips, etc.) that are pre-sized for width and also come in medium and dark grey plastic, which might be helpful in several ways over using raw white card stock. They also sell a pretty decent, multi-compatible liquid cement. At the very least, it's all the sort of stuff any journeyman scale modeler should be aware of.

(Plastruct does have a website but it is more or less useless unless you know what you want in advance)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Revitalized posted:

Also while I'm in the middle of contemplating life choices, how are those cool city dioramas made? Like a war torn office building or urban backdrop for a gunpla?

Sheperd Paine. He is basically the Yoda of scale diorama modeling. All his books seem to be out of print and expensive now, but seek out any articles you can find regardless.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 2, 2016

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Kuvo posted:

I'm having trouble deciding which kit to do next as I've already done the best two mobile suits. Does a BIG ZAM gunpla kit exist or are they mass produced now?

1/400 Gundam Collection Big-Zam. Actually not a bad price, considering how long it's been out of production.

There's also an oldy-moldy 1/550 kit for ¥300, but LOL to that.

edit: look what i found in my drawers:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 2, 2016

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

MJP posted:

I was working on redoing the thigh part of my Papillon project, when I looked inside and saw that the polycap housing had completely cracked, causing the polycap itself to fall out and be useless. I checked its cannibalized spare, and that one cracked and fell out from the top just with a little modest movement of the polycap within its normal range.

Hip or knee?

edit: actually, either one would have to be some sort of catastrophic solvent issue. You haven't been abusing paint thinner, have you?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 2, 2016

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bimmi posted:

Hip or knee?

edit: actually, either one would have to be some sort of catastrophic solvent issue. You haven't been abusing paint thinner, have you?

Negative. I don't think the painted parts ever got exposed to brake fluid for stripping, but there's an unpainted matte topcoated part where the top part literally fell the gently caress over due to the polycap housing cracking.

It's the thigh part, where the hip joint peg goes in.

My wife speculates it's because these were downstairs in the basement, and it got cold in there because the plywood I use to block a window with a cutout for my exhaust hose blew open, causing the temp to drop. I don't think it got colder than the 40s, but I have no way to confirm historical temps.

Here are the offenders - the first is unpainted, the second and third painted. Both the latter two got Alclad gray primer airbrushed on as normal, then Alclad gloss black base, Alclad chrome, and Auto-Air candy enamel. No issues with any of those on other parts - hell, the wing binders I must have stripped at least twice each and those still hold their shape without much incident.

At least something went right - the pink stripe masking for the feet/bell bottoms/what the hell ever parts. I'd already done them in candy colors but realized I wasn't going to be able to get a nice candy pink setup going. I airbrushed Alclad gloss black on the stripes, let it dry, hit it with the chrome, then Mr. Clear Color GX Clear Pink thinned at 3:2 for airbrushing for the candy color. After that dried, I gave it Future and left it overnight.

Then I masked off the upper parts around each recessed pink part, brushed on Mr. Masking Sol Neo, and removed the masking tape while the Masking Sol was wet. After drying, I redid the part with the same Auto-Air candy process, then took off the dried Masking Sol.

Small successes are still successes. Although now I gotta figure out how I'm going to airbrush the tiny-rear end funnels. :smith:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Definitely a solvent issue, as I see it. And good lord, man, moisturize!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bimmi posted:

Definitely a solvent issue, as I see it. And good lord, man, moisturize!

But they were never exposed to a solvent, that's the weird thing. Maybe the replacements will get primed with acrylic primer just to rule out the possibility of Alclad lacquer primer doing weird poo poo? I have no clue. I definitely didn't use the Alclad matte topcoat on the inner part of the unpainted thigh. :iiam: indeed.

You'd better believe I'm moisturizing. I'm a freaking lizard, especially compared to my wife - her skin's perfect, it never needs moisturizing.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Whatever crazy metallic paint you're using, I can guarantee you it's going on pretty hot.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 2, 2016

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bimmi posted:

Whatever crazy metallic paint you're using, I can guarantee you it's going on pretty hot.

But one of the affected pieces never got painted at all. Just topcoated, and the topcoat never once went into the joint like that. Not antagonistic, just curious and concerned.

The process for the metallics:

1) Primer (Alclad)
2) Gloss black enamel base (Alclad)
3) Chrome (Alclad)
4) Water-based candy paint (Auto-Air)
5) Gloss topcoat (Future)

Should I be doing three or more coats of primer? Switching solely to Vallejo primer since it's an acrylic and way less hot?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Vallejo primer won't take lacquer paints over it, trust a poor fool on this.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've used it as a primer for normal acrylics without issue, and for Alclad gloss black base. Never really tried a lacquer over it but yeah, I could see it having issues.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Welcome to the Club.

e: High Grade 1989 ver.Ka:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 2, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bimmi posted:

Welcome to the Club.

e: High Grade 1989 ver.Ka:

The large number of animation colour RX-78-2s had me looking at this for about 10 seconds trying to figure out if it was a picture. :psyduck:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's not really Katoki or 1989, but i like it anyway.

e: speaking of High Grade 01, mine is still quite visible to the naked eye if you look hard enough:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 2, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Any of y'all built the Double X MG? I haven't seen the show its from but it looks cool and my coworker has some Barnes & Noble coupon/discount situation that would bring it from $50 to $35.

It expires later this month so there's no rush.

The only two MGs I'm in the market for are the RX-78 The Origin and the 2.0 Char Zaku, so maybe I could wait a week or two to see if they get that in RX-78? I'm not sure what their ordering schedule looks like though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

zelah posted:

Any of y'all built the Double X MG? I haven't seen the show its from but it looks cool and my coworker has some Barnes & Noble coupon/discount situation that would bring it from $50 to $35.

The only two MGs I'm in the market for are the RX-78 The Origin and the 2.0 Char Zaku, so maybe I could wait a week or two to see if they get that in RX-78? I'm not sure what their ordering schedule looks like though.

The MG double x is a really good kit, would recommend.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

zelah posted:

Paging BlitzBlast...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
For 35 bux you'd be crazy not to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, Gundam Double X is even better than Gundam X

BlitzBlast posted:

MG DX actually is better but still you should totally get MG X just on principle.

Not empty quoting. DX MG is a great kit, very solid and looks awesome, and at $35 it's a goddamned steal.