Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Tippis posted:

Whathowinthewhynow?!?

How the hell do you lose track of an object just because it's at a given speed? And if it didn't, how did it suddenly realise that it had too many ships? And why does it randomly remove ships when this happen rather than something sane and sensible?

:psyboom:

I can only conclude that the ship was exceeding the speed of parp, thus creating a parpspace distortion.

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Klyith posted:

To be fair, the Star Marine Indefinite Hiatus got reported pretty widely and with a lot of vague mentions of other signs of trouble at CIG. Which brings up a couple points I think you missed in your reasons for why the games press is ignoring the story:

5) What good does it do? The press can't tell people to try to get refunds and chargebacks. It's a lawsuit target, it would cause trouble for crowdfunding in general, and it's not possible for everyone to get their money back anyways. Starting a bank run right now would mean people get 25 cents on the dollar and no game, and would let Crobber ride off into the sunset with no need to justify his failure. Possibly that type of ending even allows the executives to hide more for themselves in the chaos.

The time to stop people putting money into SC was 2014, and that was well before there was good evidence to back up the naysaying. Goons still believed in 2014.

6) No one wants to be the bearer of bad news. I think the deluge of pro-citizen comments in every news article isn't a coincidence. The traditional games media audience and the SC backer base have a lot of overlap. Press was one of the reasons that the hype train got started -- I think journalists have been justifiably concerned with their own role in the kickstarter frenzy of 2012-13, especially as the stragglers are turning bad. Telling people the $4 million they put into Mighty no 9 resulted in a crap game is one thing. Telling them their SC "investment" has turned to poo poo is another.

Oh come on dude. The media has a moral responsibility to find out what's happening in the world, and tell people. I can't imagine any decent journalist gives a drat about either of those points you listed.

What good would it do? Save people from wasting money on fraud and false advertising. Help set a higher standard for crowdfunding so charismatic morons stop wasting everyones loving money.

No one wants to be the bearer of bad news? Journalism is about presenting the news, without judgment or prejudice, and definitely without condescending to your audience as if they're autistic and hit themselves in the eyes with jumbo legos whenever you say "don't do that."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Krakenwagen posted:

I can only conclude that the ship was exceeding the speed of parp, thus creating a parpspace distortion.

:gary:

It's a far more sensible and coherent explanation than what that post was suggesting, so for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to agree with your analysis.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Michaellaneous posted:

Totally off topic, but how is Crate and Crowbar, compared to, let's say, Retsutalk and Chipod Ironicast?

I love crate and crowbar. The dudes are funny as hell, are really open about likes and dislikes, and really deep-dive into game mechanics and design choices. I've never heard Retsutalk/Chipod, they good?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Its called a blocker, bro, known issue.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tank Boy Ken posted:

And to add insult to injury
code:
if (num_ships > 16)
{
	shipList[0].Delete();
	spawnNewShip();
}  

Knowing CIG, their code probably looks like this:

code:
if (Math.Abs(num_ships.Length()) > new Double(16))
{
	Ship s = ShipFactory.GetShipFromList(shipList, new Randomizer(shipList.Length())).Serialize();
	if (s.Deserialize() != null || (s.object_id > 1e4 && s.favoriteCereal != CerealEnum.CountChocula))
	{
		Ship deletedShip = shipList.Delete(FindIndex(shipList, s));
		shipList.Add(SpawnNewShip(), FindIndexOfDeleteObject(deletedShip));	
	}
}  

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Escapist already covered the story. How would another publication do it better? Private companies are difficult to report on if they're not under indictment or there's no obvious paper trail, hence the need to talk to former employees.

Well, The Escapist did that.

What I don't understand though is why the gaming press doesn't report on them blowing their deadlines. That's a quickie post right there and guaranteed traffic. Report the bad news! The only explanation that sounds plausible to me is that the gaming press is foremost an enthusiast press.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tippis posted:

Whathowinthewhynow?!?

How the hell do you lose track of an object just because it's at a given speed? And if it didn't, how did it suddenly realise that it had too many ships? And why does it randomly remove ships when this happen rather than something sane and sensible?

Given that they’re talking about ships and not people, how much do you want to bet that their method for tracking which people are ships and which people are people is by velocity?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Quantum travel not engaged fast enough, better luck next time.

parrp

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

Whathowinthewhynow?!?

Honest answer: It seems the player controller becomes the ship when you enter THE CHAIR! (there can only be one true chair). But when when you go to Quantum Travel your Character/Ship is held in limbo, thus is no longer part of the "official" shipList. Since it is being handed off to another scene/map/parpSpace. I wouldn't be suprised if it's due to their "64bit"* solution.

Think of it as a List with all Ships(let's assume maxShips = 3):

ALL_of_THE_ships_LIST
0 - MyShip
1 - YourShip
2 - ParpShip

Now I go to ParpSpeed in myShip (myShip). Thus the actual List still contains all Ships. But the function to check for (currentShips() < 3) is only counting ships outside of ParpSpeed. Now the server thinks: "Cool, I can create a new Ship" and goes newShip(newShipName);
Thus the list is:
ALL_of_THE_ships_LIST
0 - MyShip
1 - YourShip
2 - ParpShip
3 - newShipName
Since CIG is optimizing the engine it checks for too many Ships. It does this every second/serverTick/whatever. Once myShip exits ParpSpeed: Server says: "WE HAVE TOO MANY SHIPS. QUICK DELETE ONE. OLD SHIPS DIE FIRST!" and does deleteOldestShip(); (Just does ALL_of_THE_ships_LIST[0].Delete();).

And now you end up with no Ship after exiting ParpSpeed. But at least the server is happy!
ALL_of_THE_ships_LIST
0 - YourShip
1 - ParpShip
2 - newShipName

*Wasn't it 32bit + 32bit?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

G0RF posted:

[i](drat this is a long post. I apologize if it bored anybody. The question of 'when will the story break open?' comes up a lot and I figured it was worth examining in detail.

This was a truly excellent post and I learned a lot. Thank you kindly for your efforts G0RF!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AP posted:

Ships stop being ships in Quantum travel, that's why you can't count it. There are a few things I'd assume from this, an easy fix of making QT ships a subset of the normal class of ships for the count isn't actually easy as it will screw up something else. You've never going to be able to affect a ship in QT from outside the ship (it's not a ship anymore) and they worded that very carefully "moving above a certain speed".

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You have to keep track of both the ships in regular space and the ones in quantum travel? Goddamn, that kind of poo poo has never been done before. Luckily, solving this kind of conundrums is why they pay them the big bucks!

Toops posted:

Knowing CIG, their code probably looks like this:

code:
{
	Ship s = ShipFactory.GetShipFromList(shipList, new Randomizer(shipList.Length())).Serialize();
	if (s.Deserialize() != null || (s.object_id > 1e4 && s.favoriteCereal != CerealEnum.CountChocula))
	{
	}
}  

There is already too much geekery in here but you need to do random numbers right.

code:
{
	int rndSeed = 42;  //If EVE can do it we can too. We'll show them!
	Random rndNum = new Random(rndSeed);
	Ship s = ShipFactory.GetShipFromList(shipList, ((int)rndNum.nextFloat(shipList.Length()))).Serialize();
	{	
	}
}  

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Madcosby posted:

I skipped around a lot

he literally promises:

birds
planetary biomes (including streams, clouds, alien wildlife, BIRDS)

I'm so happy for Cobblers :unsmith:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Toops posted:

I love crate and crowbar. The dudes are funny as hell, are really open about likes and dislikes, and really deep-dive into game mechanics and design choices. I've never heard Retsutalk/Chipod, they good?

Well, Retsutalk is just our Slowbeef and Diabetus being a grumpy old man and a rather sarcastic dude talking about goony poo poo.

Chipod and Ironicast are also our Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus being that lovable pair of liking good games and sometimes maybe even talking about them.

Really worth it imho.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Given that they’re talking about ships and not people, how much do you want to bet that their method for tracking which people are ships and which people are people is by velocity?

I'd like to change my answer from :psyboom: to :cripes: and not take that bet because even if I won, the stupidity of it all would mean I lose.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Honest answer: It seems the player controller becomes the ship when you enter THE CHAIR! (there can only be one true chair). But when when you go to Quantum Travel your Character/Ship is held in limbo, thus is no longer part of the "official" shipList. Since it is being handed off to another scene/map/parpSpace. I wouldn't be suprised if it's due to their "64bit"* solution.

[etc]

I suppose that would answer the “how” but just raises more “why?!”s. Session and state changes aren't voodoo, and there are well-established practices for doing them. You don't remove stuff from lists until you are really really sure that the transition has worked, and you definitely do not start to randomly delete things if it turns out it didn't.

trucutru posted:

There is already too much geekery in here but you need to do random numbers right.

code:
{
	int rndSeed = 42;  //If EVE can do it we can too. We'll show them!
	Random rndNum = new Random(rndSeed);
	Ship s = ShipFactory.GetShipFromList(shipList, ((int)rndNum.nextFloat(shipList.Length()))).Serialize();
	{	
	}
}  

I think I see where the bug is. CerealEnum is obviously not set or compared correctly.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 1, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Omi-Polari posted:

The Escapist already covered the story. How would another publication do it better? Private companies are difficult to report on if they're not under indictment or there's no obvious paper trail, hence the need to talk to former employees.

Well, The Escapist did that.

What I don't understand though is why the gaming press doesn't report on them blowing their deadlines. That's a quickie post right there and guaranteed traffic. Report the bad news! The only explanation that sounds plausible to me is that the gaming press is foremost an enthusiast press.

Yeah, but ever since the story they have been very quiet.
So all in all it removes some credibility about the "vetted" sources.

This is what I really would love to know, why hasn't there been a follow up on their original story? There has happened a lot since that day.
@GORF : Amazing write up!

And yes the real question is : where are all the blogs asking the right questions?
Take MOP for example, they do an article about ELITE letting you name your planet via the cash shop and the comments section explodes and calling them greedy bastards.
Yet they find it completely normal to have *pre* alpha selling ships and whatnot. Actually thinking about, the shop is about the only thing that truly works.

Elite actually has a game...
Personally, I made a list of all the blogs participating in this see no/hear no/speak no evil attitude and won't give em a click.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
LMAO :
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320510/cig-please-bring-back-the-old-quality
Build 1

Build 2.2

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

I'd like to change my answer from :psyboom: to :cripes: and not take that bet because even if I won, the stupidity of it all would mean I lose.

I suppose that would answer the “how” but just raises more “why?!”s. Session and state changes aren't voodoo, and there are well-established practices for doing them. You don't remove stuff from lists until you are really really sure that the transition has worked, and you definitely do not start to randomly delete things if it turns out it didn't.

I think I see where the bug is. CerealEnum is obviously not set or compared correctly.

You mean like putting the data you want to session/state change into a temporary variable and then checking if the new entry matches the temporary one. And only then deleting the old one. Why would you do that? It works perfectly on my system! And it's just a hand over. What could possibly go wrong. As long as the Application is stable, it will happen withut a hitch :colbert:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Personally I prefer the "newer" version. It's a subjective thing. Besides, the newer textures may be better for performance.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You have to keep track of both the ships in regular space and the ones in quantum travel? Goddamn, that kind of poo poo has never been done before. Luckily, solving this kind of conundrums is why they pay them the big bucks!

What amazes me is how bad everything is. Ships disappear which causes EVA players to get stuck in space with no helmet or jets as the ship is somehow linked to the player, when ships disappear their weapons/items remain and all this is happening because of the spawn limit CIG put in combined with the deceptive mechanic of Quantum Travel. Players still clip through ships that went through their various ship creation pipelines three times.

They have to link the ship to the player for the new punishment mechanics to work, which they absolutely have to do as Citizens demand it, so they are already adding layers of complexity to a pile of broken poo poo.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 1, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does the whole quantum drive removing ships from ship count and leading to spawning bugs situation mean you can grief the entire server by repeatedly warping short distances somewhere far away?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Does the whole quantum drive removing ships from ship count and leading to spawning bugs situation mean you can grief the entire server by repeatedly warping short distances somewhere far away?

If you got a group of a few players together and quantum traveled at the same time, you'd create a situation where new players either couldn't spawn ships or had them disappear randomly when they out of the cockpit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XeeD posted:

Fat kids take time to get up to speed, okay?

i wonder how long they can sprint before falling over and gasping for breath

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

https://gfycat.com/GrayWideeyedGalapagosalbatross

Looks like Chris' long-promised gradual acceleration from walk to jog to sprint has finally been added. Yet another commitment to "immersion" that renders the prospects of VR immersion unlikely...

That's really, really stupid. Humans really don't need gradual acceleration to pick up speed

Someone should tell Chris adding invisible thrusters to their character models doesn't contribute to ~Glorious Immersion~

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i posit that blogs and game journalists dont want to deal with the brown sea flooding into their comments, bringing an onslaught of doxing, racism and mean spirited stupidity to their doorstep. if i was a blogger and wrote about this i would be sincerely terrified of some of that. GORF is spot on when he predicts the first major piece will come from an outside source. at this point since theres no colossal outrage from the majority of the sea, nobody writing about games wants to start that fire.

nobody except d smart and The Goonies, truffle shufflin across the verse

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

Whathowinthewhynow?!?

Well you see in the 'laxy, the speed of light is actually 300 m/s, which is why no ship can accelerate beyond that (because that's totally how acceleration works). When a ship reaches that speed, it becomes impossible for the server to track since according to E=mcsc2 it has lost its rest mass and been converted into photons

Some fantastic physics at play in Star Citizen

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Thoatse posted:

Hi thread. I decided lowtax needed another tenspot as much as I need this thread to rinse the SC residue from my now damaged brainpan.

Should have done it sooner, like 2012-13 when pgi was melting down for the hundredth time and goonibirds became the main source of entertainment once it was apparent giving fucks led nowhere.

I didn't, so after getting like $350 into SC the jokes on me and I missed a few thousand pages of lulz.. but this threads funny and cathartic so better late then Lesnick.

Welcome. Have you attempted to get a refund or tried a chargeback?

quote:

obligatory catte pic

That is a goode catte

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Procedurally ageing birds!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The disconnect between Crobetto struggling to get 16 people in a vaguely workable instance and the fantasies of B'Tak and his chums with their multicrew Star Destroyers visiting countless living, breathing procedural worlds is quite magnificent. If what Crobbolino was promising was Vanilla WOW then what we have right now is 16 Gnomes unable to kill 10 boars in the starter area because their clothes keep falling off

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 1, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

i posit that blogs and game journalists dont want to deal with the brown sea flooding into their comments, bringing an onslaught of doxing, racism and mean spirited stupidity to their doorstep. if i was a blogger and wrote about this i would be sincerely terrified of some of that. GORF is spot on when he predicts the first major piece will come from an outside source. at this point since theres no colossal outrage from the majority of the sea, nobody writing about games wants to start that fire.

nobody except d smart and The Goonies, truffle shufflin across the verse

Yeah. Quite a few high-profile videojuego news sites and blogs did, as I recall, try writing about Star Citizen back in June when the Star Marine module was, or wasn't, indefinitely delayed. I'd imagine some portion of them decided, as the comments rolled in, that critical Star Citizen coverage just isn't worth it

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's really, really stupid. Humans really don't need gradual acceleration to pick up speed

Someone should tell Chris adding invisible thrusters to their character models doesn't contribute to ~Glorious Immersion~

Speak for yourself, character movement being powered by fart propulsion is required for my immersion

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
A week or so ago I change my in game name in Mechwarrior Online to something that included "Derek Smart " to see if if I could bait out some rage. Since it is famous for idiots who spend $500 for gold plated mechs. I had no luck at first since I was bottom tier with all the new players. I just hit tier 3 before my last game tonight and boy did it pay off.

When the match started a player on my team named "Endemic" started screaming at me in the games voice chat. Calling me every name in the book over and over. You could hear him frothing at the mouth about me "trying to ruin his investment" and how dare I say Croberts was scamming him. I never replied via voice because I did not want to give away I was not DS. Heck I barley said anything at all. I did take a stab in the dark and said I bet you paid 10k to play a game. He then proudly announced that it was a donation and he had given more than 10k. He raged for the whole 10 min the match lasted.

It was beautiful. Especially when other players told him to shut up. He apologized to them and 5 seconds later continued to lose his poo poo.

Now for future reference what should I use if I want to record people losing their poo poo in game?

EDIT: Also I forgot to add he threatened to rape me too!!!

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 1, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

darkarchon posted:

that loving gay hipster

You're good at this insult thing

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Don't be silly. It worked for ships and created the most immersifivitous gaming experience ever. So of course it'll work for characters, because they're basically the same thing (or, perhaps more accurately, the other way around).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raged posted:

A week or so ago I change my in game name in Mechwarrior Online to something that included "Derek Smart " to see if if I could bait out some rage. Since it is famous for idiots who spend $500 for gold plated mechs. I had no luck at first since I was bottom tier with all the new players. I just hit tier 3 before my last game tonight and boy did it pay off.

When the match started a player on my team named "Endemic" started screaming at me in the games voice chat. Calling me every name in the book over and over. You could hear him frothing at the mouth about me "trying to ruin his investment" and how dare I say Croberts was scamming him. I never replied via voice because I did not want to give away I was not DS. Heck I barley said anything at all. I did take a stab in the dark and said I bet you paid 10k to play a game. He then proudly announced that it was a donation and he had given more than 10k. He raged for the whole 10 min the match lasted.

It was beautiful. Especially when other players told him to shut up. He apologized to them and 5 seconds later continued to lose his poo poo.

Now for future reference what should I use if I want to record people losing their poo poo in game?

Anyone left that still takes MW:O seriously and tries to be hard core with it is insane. So yeah. That should be fun.

90% of even the hardest BattleTech supporters gave up years ago.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Blazing Ownager posted:

Anyone left that still takes MW:O seriously and tries to be hard core with it is insane. So yeah. That should be fun.

Sadly the game is at its current state in the best state that it was in the last years. I hope it won't die.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Blazing Ownager posted:

Have to admit the game has gotten a million times better than it was in beta and after launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

smellmycheese posted:

16 Gnomes unable to kill 10 boars in the starter area because their clothes keep falling off

That's my fetish.

• Locked thread