Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Cat Machine posted:

that http://sfv.fightinggame.community/ site owns for starkly exposing what your worst matchups are on a personal level, apparently i've only won 20% of my vs. necali matches

The sfv.fightinggame.community/ matchup vs. 502 Gateway is brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Foodahn posted:

It's the animation of a particular move. Each move (and thus animation) in the game has 3 parts to it:

1) Startup, the animation of the move before it is able to hit.
When someone says "Necalli has a 3 frame jab" it means that Necalli's jab (LP) has 3 frames of startup animation. (Actually it gets complicated there, but I'll keep this simple)

2) Active, the animation of the move while it is able to hit.
Active frames are basically never referenced by anyone, but generally, the more active frames, the easier it is to perform a meaty attack.

3) Recovery, the animation of the move after it is unable to hit.
Lots of recovery frames are bad, and makes a move easier to whiff punish. With many moves, you can CANCEL the recovery frames by immediately performing a special move. The recovery of a move (in combination with its block-stun or hit-stun) determines if a move is at frame advantage or not. If a move is -3 on block, that means it can be punished by a move with 3 frame startup, or you can do whatever you want for 3 frames because they're still in recovery.

Disable HDCP in settings>system. It should be disabled by default when the game is being played though sooooo

Alright so lots of frames on startup will mean it's easier to dodge and lots of frames on recovery make it easier to punish when you miss. That's about as deep as I think I need to go with that right now. I appreciate the explanation.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

The sfv.fightinggame.community/ matchup vs. 502 Gateway is brutal.
true to the street fighter v online experience

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
short active frames are a pretty consistently lovely part in sf 4 and 5

cams
Mar 28, 2003

you can search for matches while watching replays. did not know this. that is a real game changer for me.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Decided I want to invest most of my time into learning Bison, as he is the obviously the best character in any SF game. Also hopefully that focusing on a charge character will overcome my inherent instinct to mash. I can do a few bnbs in training quite reliably - df+HP, cMP xx blast / HK, cMP xx inferno. I'm not good enough to actually land these often in matches yet but I figure that will come with time.

My problem is in a match I have no idea what to do. What's my gameplan? From watching videos it seems to be 'use his mobility like an rear end in a top hat, lots of hk scissors and normal pressure' which I try to emulate but I really struggle at putting out consistent pressure and almost always end up on the defensive and getting stuck there.

I am pretty sure I am a victim of my knowledge far exceeding my ability to actually play the game (probably due to having watched and read a shitload but only played maybe 75 matches of sf4+5 combined) and I end up freezing and overthinking everything. gently caress it's so frustrating. I'm guessing the obvious advice would be to 'just play' but if possible I'd like to have an idea of some key, simple thing to focus on.

Nique fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 1, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cat Machine posted:

The league system in SFV is actually pretty good, I think. It's never gonna be perfect (especially in its infancy when there are still killers who just haven't put in the ranked time yet) but I feel like 90% of my ranked opponents are within fair margins of more/same/less skilled.

Yeah. I'm like dumpster tier so it's hard to judge, but I'd say the ranked matches I get into are mostly an "even" match. I still lose the match, mind you, but I often win one round or lose with their health such that I would have won with a confirmed combo.

My 5-game winning streak this past weekend was a major fluke. I wish I could run into some more of those kinda chumpy players, haha. I think for most people I am the kind of chumpy player :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Alright so lots of frames on startup will mean it's easier to dodge

Easier to interrupt is the one you need to worry about, here. If you have a move with 4f startup and someone does a move with 3f startup, you'll get hit and your move won't come out.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there anything cheeky I can do after ending chun's bnb with legs? LK is +3 on hit, HK is +1, so I'd still have initiative but I think the pushback probably rules out a lot of stuff

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there anything cheeky I can do after ending chun's bnb with legs? LK is +3 on hit, HK is +1, so I'd still have initiative but I think the pushback probably rules out a lot of stuff
If it's LK legs I usually end up at the right range to try for a cr.MK.The space between characters after a landed legs is usually wide enough that I can get it without contention from a light attack. Try following the legs with cr.MK -> HP kikoken, which is safe. You can then get pretty cheeky again after a point-blank blocked kikoken because of pushback.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is the fighting commander 4 pad any good

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

jHK, crHP xx LK Legs, crLP xx LK SBK

That's your max damage punish combo. Use it on dizzied opponents or grapplers after neutral jumping out of their SPD.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yup it's very good

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

anyone know about streaming stuff? My friend who occasionally streams ST and SF4 can't capture his PS4 because of the hdmi encryption layer(or something like that, hes getting a "Game is copyrighted" error) on his avermedia device. Is this something easy to get around?

It's a mess. I don't even remember what I did, but you have to find an HDMI hub or whatever that is "bugged" and doesn't transfer over the encryption. I had to read all these Amazon reviews and google a lot to find the "right one" and even then there was a risk they'd ship me a different version that "worked" and carried over the encryption.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

angel opportunity posted:

It's a mess. I don't even remember what I did, but you have to find an HDMI hub or whatever that is "bugged" and doesn't transfer over the encryption. I had to read all these Amazon reviews and google a lot to find the "right one" and even then there was a risk they'd ship me a different version that "worked" and carried over the encryption.

You don't have to do this on PS4 right, can't you turn off HDCP in settings?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Oh...really? I just assumed it was the same as PS3...sorry :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I thought the PS4 had native streaming? :confused:

Does it not work with Street Fighter? Or is he just trying to run it through the PC so he can get a scarecam and layout?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can anyone who's picked up Rashid suggest a couple of B&B combos I should really focus on learning? He seems pretty fun so far but I have no idea what I'm doing.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Can anyone who's picked up Rashid suggest a couple of B&B combos I should really focus on learning? He seems pretty fun so far but I have no idea what I'm doing.
Lp

throw

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Yup it's very good

I need to do something unless I can bring a keyboard

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

MP, Cr MK xxx MP Spinning Mixer seems to be his go-to combo string. You can also do EX Eagle Kick into MP Mixer, I think?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Nique posted:

My problem is in a match I have no idea what to do. What's my gameplan?

Certainly against Zangief, seems to be go on the defensive and just counter any pressure, keeping things purely reactive, but in different ways. All Zangief is trying to do is get close, so just holding away all the time works in your favor. Once you get vtrigger just teleport all over the loving show going for throws.

At least that's what hosed me up every time. But then I'm pretty bad.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Nique posted:

Decided I want to invest most of my time into learning Bison, as he is the obviously the best character in any SF game. Also hopefully that focusing on a charge character will overcome my inherent instinct to mash. I can do a few bnbs in training quite reliably - df+HP, cMP xx blast / HK, cMP xx inferno. I'm not good enough to actually land these often in matches yet but I figure that will come with time.

My problem is in a match I have no idea what to do. What's my gameplan? From watching videos it seems to be 'use his mobility like an rear end in a top hat, lots of hk scissors and normal pressure' which I try to emulate but I really struggle at putting out consistent pressure and almost always end up on the defensive and getting stuck there.

I am pretty sure I am a victim of my knowledge far exceeding my ability to actually play the game (probably due to having watched and read a shitload but only played maybe 75 matches of sf4+5 combined) and I end up freezing and overthinking everything. gently caress it's so frustrating. I'm guessing the obvious advice would be to 'just play' but if possible I'd like to have an idea of some key, simple thing to focus on.

Note that Bison actually has the slowest walk speed in the game, and that while his forward dash is cool and a useful tool, it does not actually make up for his poor walk speed. I wouldn't say that "use his mobility like an rear end in a top hat" is a good distillation of his play in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXry0gIkdKg

Caveat that I don't have this game but know FG fundamentals pretty well. I may have some of the buttons for the normals wrong in the below stuff since I've never used Bison.

Skip to grand finals and I'll point out a few things I notice about the overall gameplan as I watch:

-At 30:36 you see a good button to throw out meaty. Notice he takes a super small step forward after this and holds down back. Necali DPs here, expecting either a throw or continued pressure. Just from seeing this, you know that you can pressure after this meaty, or you can block a DP. This is a good setup to copy and a good mixup to use after. Try to watch more videos and look for what specific pressure he uses after this meaty.

-After the crush counter combo, Bison has a good opportunity to pressure, but baits instead. You can see him suffering from lovely walkspeed here. He does manage to bait out a throw attempt, but he's not looking for it and fails to punish.

-Forward dash is almost always after a knockdown, or with an EX fireball in front of it, or otherwise has something making it safe. You can teleport right into them during neutral game (see opening gambit at start of round 2), but he spent round one never doing it and conditioning the opponent. He earned that teleport forward into hit, and he correctly guessed that it would get him in range in time to basically whiff punish.

-He's going for frametraps after knockdowns. Notice the meaty jab into attempted frametrap, but it eats a DP. At 31:15 he gets the EX scissor knockdown, which doesn't give him great pressure, so he goes for some "soft pressure" of walking back and forth and threatening to throw out a poke. I think he's trying to get Necali to press a button here so he can whiff punish it, but Necali doesn't bite. Notice how Bison's lovely movement speed hinders him in this situation; he really struggles here to do what a character like Chun or Cammy could do easily. If he did a forward dash here, the risk is that Necali would punish him super hard, so he just does something relatively safe that doesn't completely cede pressure. There's a lot of back and forth and whiffed pokes, so Bison maintains some very soft pressure and doesn't lose at the neutral game. The jump-in he goes for is a little bit impatient looking, but he guesses correctly that Necali is at least going to throw a poke out and will unlikely be able to anti-air. He's pushed Necali into this back and forth whiff-punish baiting mode, and he does the jump-in to try to punish that. Necali DP's though after blocking the jump-in...Necali has DPed a lot at this point and many have worked. Bison won round one mostly from baiting a DP, and he's likely going to be trying to bait a DP in the future now.

-At 31:23 notice the pokes he's using after scissor kick is blocked. Also notice how he's doing low forward into scissor kick. There is a set thing you can copy for your gameplan. Do cr. MK xx scissor, then after they block, do st. MK . You see that is hitting Necali attempting to throw out a poke. You don't want to always immediately press st. MK, sometimes you'll want to bait a reversal, other times you may want to back up a bit and look for a whiff punish. Watch him more to see what else he does after blocked scissor kick.

-Now he does max range st. fierce xx scissor kick, and after it's blocked he goes for another st. fierce to try to catch something. Necali neutral jumps though so nothing hits. Now you have several straightforward things to try in your gameplan: cr. mk xx scissor, st. mk after they block, and st. fierce at max range xx scissor kick, st. fierce after they block. Mix up with not pressing stuff after blocked scissor kick. They might DP, they might back up, and when you see here that he neutral jumps, if Bison hadn't pressed the st. fierce, he likely could have reaction AAed the neutral jump if he'd been looking for it.

-31:37 he's cornered and V-reversals. I see a lot of Bison's doing V-reversal...much more than I see v-trigger. Bison has three bars so it's harder for him to get v-trigger, and he otherwise struggles to get out of corner pressure. You probably want to make good use of V-reversal as part of your game plan. Don't just blow it, but in a situation like this where you are cornered and could be near death in one combo, it's worth it.

-Necali rolls back on the knockdown from V-reversal, and Bison dashes forward and presses knee just late enough to bait Necali into pressing what is probably jab or an attempted throw tech. I'm guessing it's a throw tech here, but people like to mash jab on wakeup out of a roll back sometimes. This setup would beat either of the two, but keep in mind he could also have done a dash up throw here, so this is a nice mixup you can work into your gameplan. Keep in mind you need to press the knee just late enough that they actually react with a throw. If you dash up too early and press it super early, they are much less likely to react with a throw tech attempt.

-The knockdown from the crushcounter combo gives you time to dash up and setup for whatever kind of pressure you want. You see meaty cr. jab into cr. lk, the cr. lk hits, meaning Necali was probably worried about a tick throw or was trying to catch Bison's slow walk-speed with some kind of fast low.

-The EX scissors that follows is using meter to maintain pressure. If Necali had pressed something he would have been punished by EX scissor, and even though he didn't press a button, now Bison is on him again and preventing him from doing what he wants. It also presses Necali further toward the corner. After the EX scissors is blocked, you see st. lk into cr. MP xx scissors. The st. lk pushes to a good distance that will make a lot of moves whiff, and the cr. MP is fishing for a counterhit. Necali doesn't take the bait and doesn't eat a CH, but he has to block another scissors now.

-31:50 you see what to do if you think your opponent is going to risk a dash into you for pressure. You throw that button out and look for the hit confirm. If he doesn't dash, that button is fast and safe enough that you aren't taking too big a risk.

-31:56 you see how to punish a neutral jump that you are looking out for. Scroll back up to where we saw him do scissor pressure that forced a neutral jump out of Necali. He probably remembers this habit and is now looking to actively punish it.

That's all from one match, and it's probably too much stuff to keep in mind at once. You want to take like a few things from that which you think you can easily copy, I'd recommend:

1) Try to do cr. mk xx scissor in neutral game. After they block it, either sit there and block to wait to see if they panic or if they continue blocking. If they panic with DP, you can crush counter punish. If they jump back, you've just gained a bunch of space and can walk forward. If they neutral jump, look for jumping fierce air-to-air like at the end of round two. If they keep blocking, you can continue on with more pressure in the form of st. MK. This conditions them to want to just block you, or it conditions them to get antsy and try to DP you. If you can force them to be afraid and block, then you earn the ability to move forward further after the blocked scissor and go for pressure that gives better frame advantage and option than just a st. MK.

2) When you land a BnB into the good knockdown, you can do dash forward into very good pressure. I would try to copy that crushcounter setup from around 31:37. Mix that up with dash up throw and just dash up block to bait DPs.

3) Meaty cr. jab into tick throw, or meaty jab into cr. lk to punish the tech attempt.

4) Watch more videos of good player vs. good player and try to find something that sticks out to you about the neutral game. What is something that you notice good Bison players doing in neutral game that you think you can do and that you don't do now? What is something you do a ton of that good players aren't doing? Are you throwing out random sweep all the time and getting blocked and punished? Are you doing devil's reverse for no reason and never really looking for whiff punishes? What does Bison do in the neutral game to either get a knockdown or at least get in on them to do the initial scissor pressure like mk xx scissor?

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 1, 2016

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Why the gently caress does d, f, d, df, f give you super? Is it just impossible to do CR. HP xx Srk with full meter?

E: nevermind, answered my own stupid question, just do df HP, df HP.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Do you always end your srks at 6? Seems like a bad habit

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
my friend said he does dp like f, qcf because gootecks told him to and im like dont do that its a bad habit and he just goes "oh like you know more than GooTecks????"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Most of my DP stuff is 313

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why is it a bad habit other than in this instance? Kind of hard not to on a pad IMO, but I can try, just wondering other reasons it's bad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ZenVulgarity posted:

I love mine, 100% worth the cheap price

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
Why not just DP like it's shown in the command list, a Z in the lower right quadrant of your stick's gate. Everyone knows how to make a Z.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Okita posted:

Why not just DP like it's shown in the command list, a Z in the lower right quadrant of your stick's gate. Everyone knows how to make a Z.

I do it like that, but maybe because the other way is easier for some people?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Playing on PC with an old 360 Fight Stick PRO.
From what I'm reading in here, there's no reason for me to buy one of the new MadCatz sticks because they don't even loving work on PC? :psyduck:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Okita posted:

Because some of us didn't have command lists in 1993 when we learned how to play :bahgawd:. That 3-5-3 wrist flick thing has been perfectly serviceable up until pretty recently and it's hard to unlearn. F-QCF works but it's kind of a goofy motion, so let's try things your way for a bit.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If you learn to do DP the wrong way and go to play another game that requires the proper input, it will really suck and you'll have to re-learn a lot of muscle memory.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I feel really dumb asking but I don't understand the frames references. I understand frames per second and frames of animation for cartoons and stuff. So when people talk about frames are they talking about how many frames of animation a movement is? Wouldn't that vary from computer to PS4 and computer to computer because of video cards and other variables? I googled "Fighting games frames" and got some flip book reference but it's not really clicking for me.

Here are a lot of words about this from the OP of the Fighting Games thread:

Brosnan posted:

Let's face it: to the uninitiated, "frames" is a dirty word. It's a common misconception that people who are really into fighting games sit around all day memorizing frame data, and that this encyclopedic knowledge is somehow instantly accessible and applicable in a real match. They don't, and it's not.

In truth, having a basic understanding of what people mean when they refer to various types of frames is simply useful in comprehending exactly what you're seeing in a game, and it goes a long way toward making the finer points of fighting games easier to grasp. Reading this summary will make it easier to digest some of the advanced terminology you'll see later, so before you get all huffy about not wanting to bother with that nerdy frame-counting bullshit, just relax for a minute and give it a shot.

If you know anything about how video game sprites or animation work, you're probably well aware that any given move you're seeing on screen is comprised of multiple frames of animation. Exactly how many frames depends on how fast the move is, whether the game runs at 30 or 60 fps, and so on. For fighting games to function on a technical level, each move has to have some hard-coded properties for what each frame of the move represents: in the header above, if Ryu is just starting to perform a punch, should he mysteriously damage the other player if they're standing next to him? Of course not; the damage should occur when his fist is extended, and the punch (or rather, the hidden hitbox representing the punch) actually connects with the opponent on the screen. The frames of animation leading up to Ryu's fist actually hitting his opponent, then, can be thought of as "startup" frames; they're the frames that happen after you've pressed the punch button, but before Ryu is in a state wherein the opponent will actually be punched. The frames during which Ryu's fist is considered an active, damaging object are the "active" frames. And the frames after Ryu's punch is completed, during which he is recovering from his attempted attack, are "recovery" frames. Not so painful, is it?

So, when you see numbers representing frame data, what you're really seeing are the following:
  • Startup frames: The # of frames before an attack is considered "active."
  • Active frames: The # of frames during which an attack can actually connect with the opponent.
  • Recovery frames: The # of frames after the active frames have ended, but before you are allowed to perform any other actions (including block your opponent's incoming attack).
Based on these three properties, we can discuss a few further concepts related to frames:
  • Block stun: The frames during which your opponent is stuck in their "block" animation if they successfully block your attack.
  • Hit stun: The frames during which your opponent is stuck in their "getting hit" animation if they do not block your attack.
  • Frame advantage/disadvantage: The disparity in frames between your recovery frames and your opponent's blockstun or hitstun frames.
For example, if Ryu goes for a slow, damaging sweep, and his opponent successfully blocks it, Ryu is stuck completing his sweep animation for quite a while, whereas his opponent will recover from blocking pretty quickly. This means that his opponent has ample opportunity to counterattack, and Ryu is powerless to stop them because he's still in recovery from his sweep. Therefore, we would say that Ryu is at a pretty significant frame disadvantage on block for his sweep (otherwise referred to as being at "negative frames," "minus frames," etc). Conversely, let's say that Guile throws a slow sonic boom from across the stage, but follows behind it as it approaches his opponent. His opponent blocks the sonic boom, but while they're still in their blockstun frames, Guile gets right up next to them, able to throw out any attack he likes, such as a nice backfist or overhead attack. In this situation, Guile has frame advantage; his opponent is still recovering from blocking the sonic boom, while Guile has already recovered from throwing it and can throw out a follow-up attack.

Attacks that leave you with frame advantage on block/hit (or at least, a small enough disadvantage that your opponent has no guaranteed way of damaging you) are generally considered "safe." Attacks that leave you at a severe disadvantage on block/hit are considered "unsafe." This means that you shouldn't be throwing out unsafe moves unless you're sure they'll hit in your current situation, else your opponent gets a free opportunity to punish you for the mistake.

Because of the emphasized nature of blocking and punishment in 3D games, you'll often see frames discussed more heavily there than you might in Marvel or Street Fighter. In a game like Tekken, it is somewhat useful to know which of your character's moves will come out quickly enough to punish blocked moves from your opponent, and looking at punishment guides (which use frame data) is sort of a cheat sheet for seeing what those moves are. However, even in this case, learning which moves are useful for punishing mistakes is something you can absolutely learn intuitively by simply playing the game; memorizing numbers is never a necessity.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

angel opportunity posted:

If you learn to do DP the wrong way and go to play another game that requires the proper input, it will really suck and you'll have to re-learn a lot of muscle memory.

"Another game" meaning SF: The Movie The Video Game, Art of Fighting, King of Fighters or Time Killers; I never could DP properly in those games. Wasn't a problem in any of the other SF/MK/Samurai Showdown titles I'd tried.

Maybe the omnidirectional Happ sticks were too forgiving and I'm just spoiled :)

e: Oh hello ironic gang tag :toot:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Are there any decent sticks compatible with PC?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does this apply if you want to do c.HP xx H DP xx Super?

Everything I've read or been told is you should use the DP to buffer into the super, but if you do that you get c.HP xx Super a lot of the time in this game.

I've had the same issue as the guy before, I found that down back heavy into neutral into DP works more reliably.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Are there any decent sticks compatible with PC?

I have an Eightarc that works with both PS3 and 360, and I've had no problems using it on the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

madmac posted:

MP, Cr MK xxx MP Spinning Mixer seems to be his go-to combo string. You can also do EX Eagle Kick into MP Mixer, I think?

I think it's LP mixer since MP might not hit on crouching opponents.