Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Is there a way to cross water?

Not yet.

:ohdear: It is terrifying.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SinineSiil posted:

Also also, do biters attack lone power lines and pipelines? I haven't seen that happen yet, but I want to be sure.

They go after things that cause pollution, but they'll bite pretty much anything around it if it gets in the way. Generally they'll leave power lines and pipes alone unless they're near a mine or factory.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Crimson Harvest posted:

Are oil products still a bitch to deal with? What I mean is, I kept having to delete/rebuild my storage tanks on the output side of the refineries cause I couldn't use up heavy oil fast enough to get it out of the system, so the refineries would stop.

Use red/green wires to connect tanks to pumps, and set the pumps to activate depending on fluid levels. Use this to divert excess heavy/light/gas to cracking/solid fuel/whatever.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They should do a trailer for this game set to Raymond Scott's Powerhouse (AKA the Looney Tunes factory music). Would probably go together pretty well.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Also also, do biters attack lone power lines and pipelines? I haven't seen that happen yet, but I want to be sure.

When idling around the hives, they'll attack things nearby. When they decide to attack, they will follow the pollution until they find a 'peak'. While travelling they will ignore most buildings, but will attack buildings from the military tab (including radar and rocket silos!) on sight. Only once they reach what they think is the center of the pollution (lower pollution in all directions) will they go into an attacking frenzy.

So in general you can protect mines, rail/power/pipe lines, or entire factories by casting an overwhelming cloud of pollution over them, and just protect the center of that cloud (huge steam plants work real well for this). And with vanilla settings, biters won't create new hives within aggro range of your stuff, so you'll rarely need to prune them back.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What does Radar do anyway? Did I forget to check a box for Fog of War because my entire minimap is revealed at all times.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Applewhite posted:

What does Radar do anyway? Did I forget to check a box for Fog of War because my entire minimap is revealed at all times.

Radar will slowly reveal up to a 15 chunk (chunk = 32x32 tiles) radius around where you build it, as well as keep an active view of a 7 chunk radius of where it's placed.

Fog of War doesn't obscure revealed terrain, just active enemies within it.

https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Radar

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Applewhite posted:

There is no such checkbox, so maybe this is just a misunderstanding? The fog of war is slightly darker map tiles that don't show biters or trains. The minimap is about as big as your character's sight range, so you might need to hit 'm' to open the full map to notice it.

Radars will reveal an area as big as your character's sight range, and will gradually scan an area twice as big. So they're good for some passive exploration, but like to chug a lot of power.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moddington posted:

There is no such checkbox, so maybe this is just a misunderstanding? The fog of war is slightly darker map tiles that don't show biters or trains. The minimap is about as big as your character's sight range, so you might need to hit 'm' to open the full map to notice it.

Radars will reveal an area as big as your character's sight range, and will gradually scan an area twice as big. So they're good for some passive exploration, but like to chug a lot of power.

Oh ok. Makes sense.

I wasn't saying there was a check box for fog of war, just wondering about its hypothetical existence as an explanation to why I didn't seem to experience fog of war.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In multiplayer, is it possible for players to make war on each other?

Follow up:
This game needs ICBMs

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Chunjee posted:

Not yet.

:ohdear: It is terrifying.

Welcome to space Australia!

Applewhite posted:

Follow up:
This game needs ICBMs

That would be amazing. I wonder how it would deal with radioactive fallout. Maybe make the biter nests that get hit by the fallout cloud mutate and get worse?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Applewhite posted:

Follow up:
This game needs ICBMs

Someone mentioned earlier that players can be put on different teams using console commands.

What the game really needs is more automation when it comes to combat. My (well, somebody's) factory can churn out hundreds of tanks per minute, yet I've got to climb in one myself to go plink away at biters.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kinetica posted:

Welcome to space Australia!

That would be amazing. I wonder how it would deal with radioactive fallout. Maybe make the biter nests that get hit by the fallout cloud mutate and get worse?

I wanna see two player owned factory cities go to war with one another like the robots in Phillip K. Dick's short story Autofac.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Applewhite posted:

They should do a trailer for this game set to Raymond Scott's Powerhouse (AKA the Looney Tunes factory music). Would probably go together pretty well.

The music in the official trailer sounds a lot like Breakfast Machine, which in turn sounds like Powerhouse, so it's already pretty close.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lowen posted:

The music in the official trailer sounds a lot like Breakfast Machine, which in turn sounds like Powerhouse, so it's already pretty close.

Watching the official trailer gave me the idea. It's very good "busy machine" music.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that players can be put on different teams using console commands.

What the game really needs is more automation when it comes to combat. My (well, somebody's) factory can churn out hundreds of tanks per minute, yet I've got to climb in one myself to go plink away at biters.

Here's a link to get you started on trying out the different teams: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13512&start=80#p92087

code:
game.create_force('force 1')
game.create_force('force 2')
game.get_player('friend 1').force = game.forces['force 1']
game.get_player('friend 2').force = game.forces['force 2']
Could be old information, unfortunately.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

What I would like would be a factory that builds terminator style robots and just sends them out in a cardinal direction, based on the rotation of the factory. Just to get some automatic alien killing action.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

I wanna see two player owned factory cities go to war with one another like the robots in Phillip K. Dick's short story Autofac.

You won't get that far. I play with goons and you tend to get shot, set on fire, run over etc a lot. If you do multiplayer, install the gravestone mod. Losing all your poo poo when you did is 'lol, who cares' at the start but if you've just been gassed/run over by a tank yet again and lost hundreds of alien artifacts plus purple circuits of gear, it's a little more irritating.

Just finished my slapped together blue research. I'm making a sandbox save with the biters on passive so I can experiment with designs to find the 'one true efficient' block and blueprint it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've successfully modded a non-return valve. It takes up one tile, doesn't actively pump or store more liquid than a regular pipe, but only allows flow in one direction. It can also output signals to the circuit network. Everything it does can already be done with the combination of a storage tank and pump, but it's smaller, cheaper, and doesn't require power - and you don't have to wait for the tank to fill if your logic relies on that.

Should I release it as a separate mod or roll it in to the rotatable pipes mod I posted earlier (and rename the mod something boring like Pipe Utilities or somesuch)?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 29, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Toast Museum posted:

Plink biters in a tank? Hell no, you run the bastards over! Full speed into the houses and big fat worms, weeeeee. Just be ready to run back to your defenses if the tank goes phut. If you use a personal roboport with construction robots and carry repair kids, your faithful bots will get out and trail behind your tank frantically fixing it while you continue mowing things down.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This should maybe go in the OP: http://guide.factorio.com/

GotLag posted:

I've successfully modded a non-return valve. It takes up one tile, doesn't actively pump or store more liquid than a regular pipe, but only allows flow in one direction. It can also output signals to the circuit network. Everything it does can already be done with the combination of a storage tank and pump, but it's smaller, cheaper, and doesn't require power.

Should I release it as a separate mod or roll it in to the rotatable pipes mod I posted earlier (and rename the mod something boring like Pipe Utilities or somesuch)?

Separate mod, IMO. They're related but do entirely different things. It'll be easier for users to manage two separate mods, and probably easier for you to development them separately too.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

ianmacdo posted:

What I would like would be a factory that builds terminator style robots and just sends them out in a cardinal direction, based on the rotation of the factory. Just to get some automatic alien killing action.

Distance they travel before breaking down should be controlled by how many batteries/solar panels you cram in them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just picturing a giant pile of robots at exactly 1KM away from the factory.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ianmacdo posted:

Advanced players could have devices that sort the robots into formation, load them up on transport trains and deliver them to the front lines.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

...along with returning trains filled with alien artifacts

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A fast paced competitive multiplayer mode akin to Total Annihilation / Supreme Commander would be quite cool. You can limit resource gain to nodes so that you always have a certain amount of resources going in and it's your job to optimize the output. Add in a few efficiency refinement steps that can multiply base resources and of course defenses and offense and you have quite the mean package. People would come up with "builds" like in Starcraft 2 where you absolutely have to have X up and running before the 8 minute mark. Devoting resources to offense (and having units built beeline straight for the enemy base) would add a certain tower defense element where you have to balance defense and offense so that you force the enemy to spend at least a few resources on defense, you could incentivize this by making offense cheaper than defense so it's a very good pressure investment.

Iron + coal into basic smelters into crawler bots. Starting position is elevated which restricts pathing, higher tier units can climb steep cliffs. Expand into copper in order to make intelligent units that can prioritize targeting, go straight for pollution sources or hit ranged units / fliers. Introduce flowing rivers that bring pollution output to a central lake that gradually brings out radioactives that affect unit behavior and available resources. :getin:

Okay I'm done sperging.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

As an alternative to creating the T-800 hellscape, it would be cool to have pheromone research to let me take over hives and pit bugs against each other.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Demiurge4 posted:

A fast paced competitive multiplayer mode akin to Total Annihilation / Supreme Commander would be quite cool. You can limit resource gain to nodes so that you always have a certain amount of resources going in and it's your job to optimize the output. Add in a few efficiency refinement steps that can multiply base resources and of course defenses and offense and you have quite the mean package. People would come up with "builds" like in Starcraft 2 where you absolutely have to have X up and running before the 8 minute mark. Devoting resources to offense (and having units built beeline straight for the enemy base) would add a certain tower defense element where you have to balance defense and offense so that you force the enemy to spend at least a few resources on defense, you could incentivize this by making offense cheaper than defense so it's a very good pressure investment.

Iron + coal into basic smelters into crawler bots. Starting position is elevated which restricts pathing, higher tier units can climb steep cliffs. Expand into copper in order to make intelligent units that can prioritize targeting, go straight for pollution sources or hit ranged units / fliers. Introduce flowing rivers that bring pollution output to a central lake that gradually brings out radioactives that affect unit behavior and available resources. :getin:

Okay I'm done sperging.

Yes all of this please, except maybe the resource nodes. I could see protecting your drills and refiners and such playing a big part.

I'm thinking a very Phillip K. Dick/Kurt Vonnegut (Player Piano) vibe with robot tanks patrolling perimeters marked by radio antennas and insidious "second variety" type robots that crawl and dig while packs of mechanical hounds scour the countryside to savage unwary travelers.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Foehammer posted:

As an alternative to creating the T-800 hellscape, it would be cool to have pheromone research to let me take over hives and pit bugs against each other.

I don't know about taking over hives, but it's definitely possible to get biters on your team. They're just considered a separate force, so a mod could give you a weapon that converts them to your team. In fact, the wiki's modding tutorial walks you through this -- search for "FriendMaker".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Solumin posted:

This should maybe go in the OP: http://guide.factorio.com/

Separate mod, IMO. They're related but do entirely different things. It'll be easier for users to manage two separate mods, and probably easier for you to development them separately too.

Actually I developed it as part of rotatable pipes, by copying and pasting entity definitions, so it was a little tedious to separate it out.

But it's complete and uploaded:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=20668

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

Actually I developed it as part of rotatable pipes, by copying and pasting entity definitions, so it was a little tedious to separate it out.

But it's complete and uploaded:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=20668

Awesome! How many mods for this game have you made at this point?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I dunno, I just play for a bit, wish I had something, then spend the next day or two modding it in.

I've never actually played long enough to do blue science because I keep getting sidetracked with modding.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
... I'm a moron. I was going through the second level of New Hope, running out of Iron Ore trying to get the materials before realizing I should probably rebuild that railroad... the game probably wanted me to research it for a reason.

buuut I already scrapped a bunch of the railroad infrastructure to make way for stuff to manufacture Science Pack 2's with, so I'll probably just redo the entire level from scratch. Takes forever, though.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Yea i just finished that level. The next one it basically "kill a lot of biters and you don't have a base", but i find it even harder than the previous one. It seems like campaign is really hard

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I cracked green science automation yesterday, and with the leftover parts I built a turret factory. I'll post screenshots of my factory this evening.
It's definitely not as orderly as the Bus. It's very sort of cobbled together.
I wonder if the factories players design are reflections of our own psychology and priorities.

Anyway my next big project is automating red circuits and batteries so I can start building fancy things and blue science modules.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I think in almost 2 years of playing this game, I've automated blue science packs... twice... I'm never happy with my factories so I start over...

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof
Its funny seeing everyone stress over blue science after playing the bobs mod suite. If you want to really twist your noggin check that stuff out. In my latest game though i've neglected to install his Metal/Chemicals/Intermediary and ore mods because they ramp the complexity just a little too much for me to find fun. You can still install the rest of his mods though and get all of the new fun stuff (pretty much everything gets upgraded versions) but without the total headache of the new material chains.

Its worth checking out the whole thing once regardless just for the holy poo poo factor.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Factorio mods are going down the bullshit unfun Minecraft mods route that ramp up the absurdity of collecting poo poo to 11. You need 4 hours to get any basic sort of machinery going, but then it doesn't get faster, no. It only gets more complex.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm sticking to the vanilla version for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The only mod I'd recommend is FARL because laying train track is straight up bullshit right now. Roll on 0.13.

Bob's Mods looks like a crazy hole I don't even want to begin to go down.