Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

FamDav posted:

you should see what you have to fill out for security clearance

i'm still not 100% sure none of my friends have plotted to overthrow the government

how could i possibly know whether or not one of my friends got really high one time and was all "duuuude i totally know how to take over washington dc"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

wtf do you do that you write both assembly and rest services?

http://coap.technology/ there is a http for udp for small devices it is not that weird

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JawnV6 posted:

is there a different response code that i want to use? or can I just add bytes after the OK so it'd be content-length 4 and say OKGO when there's something fresh at the other endpoint?

200 is better because 300 is "you have to do something else to get this/go somewhere else"

Shaggar posted:

alternatively send the 200 w/ the directive in the message body

there is a link: header, you could add a

Link: <http://othersourc/>; rel="alternate"; title="thingy"

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-5.5 you can also use a url as a relation type if you have more specific desires. there's a bunch built i n though: http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml

the thing about sticking it in the header is that you can hack poo poo together easier if you don't have to decode the body for this information. the downside is most clients hide this header information, so you might as well stick it in the body too.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

passwordissame posted:

std::string should have zero allocations because memory is expensive. Instead, it should use other solutions such as mongodb. That way, Chrome can easily handle massive amount of data and big data ready for 2015. Added bonus is that std::string is now async, which means massive IO, which is impossible with memory allocations because even mmap is bound by virtual space. C++17 is indeed actually working on embedding mongodb and node.js into STL because those should be industry standard and solve 100% of business problems that C++ is aimed at solving at. Already github pull request is made. All you need is 2 thumb ups and will get merged in. Just imagine, std::string is everywhere: network stack, user applications, kernel drivers... And now they all use mongodb. And they will be Actor model massively concurrent paradigm. This is new science Wolfram is talking about. Just accept the PR already.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

quote:

type safe dsl for query generation is way better than raw SQL. Yes, you can do everything in assembly, but if computer helps you RAD in C why not get some help from computer? i'm assuming your DSL has been grown over decades and generates very good hard to beat queries, just like gcc.
or you can go with asm.sql route so that you can transcompile react.sql and redux.sql and angular.gql down to asm.sql for native speed of posgres plus all sql7.next goodness. and of course async/await compatible and type annotation for rock solid software development in sql. Rails on SQL ftw. Don't forget about humongous package repository. spm install <anything you can imagine>.
just imagine bigdata dreams coming true

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thats a markov text generator right?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
either that or someone having a breakdown

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the markov turk

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

thats a markov text generator right?

some guy has been trolling /r/programming for awhile about mongodb, webscale, and node.js.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

is c++ web scale?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is fortran?

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
looks like a psychotic break but not enough random Capitalisations.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
whaterver happened to mr superawesome anyway?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

focal ischemia posted:

whaterver happened to mr superawesome anyway?

He's now a medic in Syria

not really, I'm guessing that he decided we were all natural spies and started telling his ideas to his cats instead

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
for the first time ever, i got to review a couple of demo programs by job applicants

they had both clearly just followed some guestbook tutorial.

one of them threw an exception when you tried to access the actual guestbook tab and the tab that i think was supposed to show all entered (or rather, hardcoded) comments was empty. it had some kind of user account system and logging in worked at least.

the other had a dependency for a database, but i was able to get it working. you could do basic crud operations on comments.

both had lovely ui's and a useless readme

at best they demonstrated that the applicant is able to mostly follow a tutorial they found by googling.

in other words i think we got applications from the top 1% of potential applicants, right?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Wheany posted:

in other words i think we got applications from the top 1% of potential applicants, right?
that depends if your company is scrub tier or not. if so, then yes. otherwise you can probably afford to keep looking a while longer

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

that sounds like quite an involved bit of work for a job application. What level of experience are you requiring? How long is this exercise meant to take?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

that sounds like quite an involved bit of work for a job application. What level of experience are you requiring? How long is this exercise meant to take?

exactly, it's kinda much to ask for much effort from people who are already programming 9-5+

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pointsofdata posted:

i have no loving clue about the details of the application process, my manager just mailed me the github urls and told me to rate them.

sure, i'll do it, anything for an excuse to be unproductive for half a day.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i have some tools that run under sudo

i want to script them & their outputs and inputs

is 'sudo python main.py' horrible for some reason? it'll be really obnoxious no matter how i slice it, but my alternative seems to be bash scripting

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If the tools are compiled programs you can use setuid to make them execute with root permissions without using sudo.

Your python scripts can't use setuid to execute as root themselves (security hole: any user with permissions could change the contents of the script to do whatever they want and execute it as if they were root) but I'm pretty confident that if you're using system() or w/e python calls it on an executable owned by root with the setuid attribute, it'll run as root.

If the tools are scripts, then you'll have to run them with sudo, yes. As mentioned above, setuid is disabled for anything interpreted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid

Edit: Said something wrong

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 1, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you have come to a world called boner extends penis

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
right now it's a VM existing only on my machine and security isn't much of a concern, but that looks like a much cleaner way to do this anyway

they're compiled tools, i'll tip my hand a bit and admit they're hcitool/gatttool and you can probably figure out the rest

thanks!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

:eyepop:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Captain Foo posted:

get back to me when you have something a little more solid to offer

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

get back to me when you have something a little more solid to offer

lol

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Captain Foo posted:

With all the times that penises act as boners without the user wanting them to, I'm pretty sure that in real biology penis extends boner.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

get back to me when you have something a little more SOLID to offer

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my quadcopter flew straight into a wall and broke the protective styrofoam
hows that for terrible programming?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

sounds like user error imo

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i programmed it to do that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

THAT"S THE JOKE

YOUR JOKES ARE NOT VERY DRY

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

new hire at work

"so do you guys use the mvc pattern or-"

nigga i'm p sure we got a few files with sql query strings in the ui event handlers

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yo I flaked out about the jobs I mentioned before, mainly because when I asked for more details about the positions i was getting slightly...cagey replies

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also i am being shunted on to another project that has just had all its developers leave, so i will be working on current project a little, but mostly the new one as the sole developer. two completely different codebases, different languages, and a lot of knowledge on it has just been lost

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
since i'm the only dev left on my team i get to do hiring and i'm scared but i'm sure it will also be funny and depressing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Valeyard posted:

yo I flaked out about the jobs I mentioned before, mainly because when I asked for more details about the positions i was getting slightly...cagey replies

I like to think you literally went to the people in charge and said like "some posters from the terrible programmers thread in your operating system is a piece of poo poo are interested in working here, shall I give them your number"

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Soricidus posted:

I like to think you literally went to the people in charge and said like "some posters from the terrible programmers thread in your operating system is a piece of poo poo are interested in working here, shall I give them your number"

they found the chome video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
you would be surprised

• Locked thread