Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Vasudus posted:

Has anybody had success in using Void Touched Ammo or whatever for a vitality/chaos caster? I'm debating on what I want to use for my filler besides melee autoattack.

Right now my rotation is devouring swarm -> curse of frailty -> sigil of consumption -> wendigo totem -> alternate the Terror relic, Mark of Dreeg (poison nova) and Doombolt. I'm trying to move away from the Mark of Dreeg because I'm presumably going to replace a lot of my insanely awesome +acid/poison gear that is like, level 35 very shortly.

I'm doing a similar thing with a warlock (almost pure occultist) focusing on chaos damage. Curse of frailty, sigil, doombolt, terror + a bunch of doombolt procs. Using chaos strike from the warpstone instead of the void touched ammo as my main attack. It has a sweet charge and hits quite hard. Doing well in elite so far. Currently playing around with solael's flame. It has a sweet 30% resistance debuff, but on the other hand it only last for 1 sec, so im unsure if its worth using. Its spammable however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Has anybody had success in using Void Touched Ammo or whatever for a vitality/chaos caster? I'm debating on what I want to use for my filler besides melee autoattack.

Right now my rotation is devouring swarm -> curse of frailty -> sigil of consumption -> wendigo totem -> alternate the Terror relic, Mark of Dreeg (poison nova) and Doombolt. I'm trying to move away from the Mark of Dreeg because I'm presumably going to replace a lot of my insanely awesome +acid/poison gear that is like, level 35 very shortly.

If the Void-Touched ammo is the one that gives you the chaos bolt attack, it's a solid choice. My own Occultist/Shaman build focused on chaos damage has used that as a filler attack since the char was high enough to use that augment and it hasn't let me down.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I've taken most things to Ultimate except a NB build. Anyone have experience with one that does good damage while being safe? Maybe a shield build?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Nightblade/Soldier Blademaster is a strong and easy class. Basically impossible to fuckup because maxing out both masteries is a very legit option and actually the one I like the most. They usually rely on putting points into the passive abilities and just being a dual wielding blender. You don't really need more than a point or two in most of the attack passives so that is why you can get away with maxing out both. Also Nightblades defensive abilities don't need many points either. Like for one point in Ring of Blades and you can't be touched for 3 seconds. Or a point in Ring of Steel and Ring of Frost and you freeze enemies around you. And you don't need a ton of points in Pneumatic Burst and the Veil of Shadow line which are great offensive and defensive skills. So basically that leaves maxing out points for the awesome defensive passives in Soldier like Military Conditioning, Scars of Battle, Decorated Soldier.

Squad Tactics, Dual Blades and Olerons Rage are offensive skills I like to nearly or max out on. Mistborn Talisman can be had pretty easily for default attack. You have to gear up but I think this class is easier to gear because you generally can just focus on defensive options because you will be making GBS threads damage. Plus your damage is usually pierce then physical which seem way easier to gear for.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 1, 2016

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
Nightblade/Shaman Trickster is p solid too, for much the same reasons defensively. The major difference between going Trickster/Blademaster for dual-wielding is that Savagery's weapon damage modifier affects Nightblade passive procs multiplicatively, which catapults Execution into ludicrous 450% weapon damage ranges with a modest investment. Going for a Lightning-based Savagery build also gives you Stormcaller's Pact's massive crit damage buff, and you have BiS weapons guaranteed from the Stormheart quest.

Pneumatic Burst on any class with %HP passives is basically cheating, is what you should be taking away from this.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

UNATCO Telephone posted:

I've taken most things to Ultimate except a NB build. Anyone have experience with one that does good damage while being safe? Maybe a shield build?

The Mash posted:

There's only two classes in this game now: Blademasters and supports

E: (This is with 187% attack speed and on a Nemesis boss on Ultimate, by the way)

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Caffeine IV posted:

Nightblade/Shaman Trickster is p solid too, for much the same reasons defensively. The major difference between going Trickster/Blademaster for dual-wielding is that Savagery's weapon damage modifier affects Nightblade passive procs multiplicatively, which catapults Execution into ludicrous 450% weapon damage ranges with a modest investment. Going for a Lightning-based Savagery build also gives you Stormcaller's Pact's massive crit damage buff, and you have BiS weapons guaranteed from the Stormheart quest.

Pneumatic Burst on any class with %HP passives is basically cheating, is what you should be taking away from this.

That Trickster build sounds solid as gently caress. I love lightning melee builds. Got a link handy for a guide?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

http://grimcalc.com/build/mX4bRF

Stack OA, attack speed, spirit, flat +elemental damage, +%elemental/lightning damage for offensive stats and the usual suspects for defensives

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've only played a melee character to like level 15, the annoying thing is having very limited AOE and thus trash clearing speed compared to Devouring Swarm or O's Flash Freeze. Ring of Blades or whatever is nice but very short range and has a cooldown. What's the best way for dualwielding tricksters to clear large groups of trash, is there a specific component or item-granted skill that most people use?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
DW passives are good early on for taking out packs of trash.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Whirling Death and the Oleron devotion proc provide decent pbaoe and the rest of the clear speed is provided by the best single-target DPS in the game and the best mobility in the game.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yeah melee is slow going to start compared to other classes but then you become a death blender.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So after lots of back and forth, I'll be building a shaman / occultist tank that smashes things to bits with a 2-handed weapon. Pets will follow me around, but mainly for buffs. I'll be going 50/50 class mastery in each, so YOLO.

Here's my devotion plan I've worked out: http://grimcalc.com/build/XSxnfq

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Anybody got advice for a two-shooty sorcerer (demo/arcanist)? Just started playing this for Diablo 2 dormroom nostalgia but ARPGs seem to be half Excel spreadsheet now. I'm just looking to blast a bunch of loving poo poo with fire and run through the game once, not start a half dozen characters.

I've been following this build. But it's from a few beta versions ago, not sure if it still applies.

I'm at like level 23, straight demo so far, haven't started arcanist (or maybe soldier?) yet. Been putting all my points into physique and the Fire/Static/???-strike line. Plus the canister grenade. It's fun gibbing mobs but I feel like I'm getting hosed a lot on veteran against any kind of boss.

Edit:
This is basically me if you factor in how gear boosts my stats.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 1, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is it still blademasters and everyone else

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

el_caballo posted:

Anybody got advice for a two-shooty sorcerer (demo/arcanist)? Just started playing this for Diablo 2 dormroom nostalgia but ARPGs seem to be half Excel spreadsheet now. I'm just looking to blast a bunch of loving poo poo with fire and run through the game once, not start a half dozen characters.

I've been following this build. But it's from a few beta versions ago, not sure if it still applies.

I'm at like level 23, straight demo so far, haven't started arcanist (or maybe soldier?) yet. Been putting all my points into physique and the Fire/Static/???-strike line. Plus the canister grenade. It's fun gibbing mobs but I feel like I'm getting hosed a lot on veteran against any kind of boss.

Eh I bet you need more defensive stats. You can run through the game once with probably anything. If you went Arcanist there are some really good support skills and Olexra's Flash Freeze, although that won't necessarily help on bosses.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

el_caballo posted:

Edit:
This is basically me if you factor in how gear boosts my stats.

There's an updated thread for that build, here's the link. You can use it as guide, but take it with a grain of salt since it uses cheated gear. My (non-cheat) Sorcerer's doing fine in Elite. Against bosses you want survivability like Maiven's Sphere and Mirror of Ereoctes, but you also want to kill them fast so: Flashbang to reduce DA, Flash Freeze/Blackwater to reduce resists. Focus on the type of damage you want to do and go all in.

Dahbadu posted:

So after lots of back and forth, I'll be building a shaman / occultist tank that smashes things to bits with a 2-handed weapon. Pets will follow me around, but mainly for buffs. I'll be going 50/50 class mastery in each, so YOLO.

Here's my devotion plan I've worked out: http://grimcalc.com/build/XSxnfq

Huh, don't think I ever skipped Giant's Blood. What type of damage are you going for?

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

The Mash posted:

http://grimcalc.com/build/mX4bRF

Stack OA, attack speed, spirit, flat +elemental damage, +%elemental/lightning damage for offensive stats and the usual suspects for defensives

This is pretty much the whole of the build, yeah. Personally, I'd drop Shadow Dance for 10/10 Veil of Shadow and 1/8 Nidalla's Hidden Hand. The -% Total Speed and %Slow should stack, and the Piercing-Acid conversion hardly matters with such little Piercing damage. Phantasmal Armour and Oak Skin also make decent one-pointers.

One major thing is that with the points you'll eventually save from +skills gear, it's quite feasible to go 1/12/1 in Wind Devil. The resistance reduction shores up your damage late-game combined with Manticore/Elemental Storm while Wind Devil provides solid CC and an autonomous proc machine. See, Shaman Totems and Wind Devil (Blade Spirit too, if you want to get ridiculous with it) each get their own instance of attached devotion procs. So, anything with a cooldown immediately gets absurd when you stick it on there; stuff like Scorpion Sting turns each Wind Devil into a homing Flashbang, or you can triple the amount of Reckless Tempests going at once, or just poo poo up the screen with Elemental Storm.

Basically, Wind Devil and Blade Spirit are two of the most useful/versatile skills in the game, and they're usually worth a point even if you aren't building for their damage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Speaking of +1 skills from gear, I noticed that once I put a full number of skillpoints into a skill it no longer had a + next to it. I thought it would go over the max amount. Is that not the case? Do I just lose that +1 skill from the gear?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

seravid posted:

There's an updated thread for that build, here's the link. You can use it as guide, but take it with a grain of salt since it uses cheated gear. My (non-cheat) Sorcerer's doing fine in Elite. Against bosses you want survivability like Maiven's Sphere and Mirror of Ereoctes, but you also want to kill them fast so: Flashbang to reduce DA, Flash Freeze/Blackwater to reduce resists. Focus on the type of damage you want to do and go all in.

Huh, don't think I ever skipped Giant's Blood. What type of damage are you going for?

Physical, Lightning, and Chaos, probably

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
What should I pair with Soldier for a pistol + shield build? I originally planned on grabbing this game's Hunting equivalent for my second mastery...but it doesn't seem to have one? Nightblade is the only other mastery that looks to be non-caster, and it seems to be pretty heavily locked into melee. Even pneumatic burst requires a melee weapon despite not actually being an attack as far as I can tell from the description.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Speaking of +1 skills from gear, I noticed that once I put a full number of skillpoints into a skill it no longer had a + next to it. I thought it would go over the max amount. Is that not the case? Do I just lose that +1 skill from the gear?

Is this a +1 for all skills, or a certain skill, certain class? + for skills should turn that skill to a bluish color instead of white, meaning that there is an item increasing it's level. Also, not sure if it is apparent, but you have to invest at least 1 point into a skill, for a +benefit to work.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Caffeine IV posted:

See, Shaman Totems and Wind Devil (Blade Spirit too, if you want to get ridiculous with it) each get their own instance of attached devotion procs. So, anything with a cooldown immediately gets absurd when you stick it on there;

That's one hell of a pro tip. Only downside is the drop in fps.

https://fat.gfycat.com/DizzyMeagerAlleycat.webm

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Was playing on my Demo last night and these dropped: http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Soiled_Trousers

ummm....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maggot Soup posted:

Is this a +1 for all skills, or a certain skill, certain class? + for skills should turn that skill to a bluish color instead of white, meaning that there is an item increasing it's level. Also, not sure if it is apparent, but you have to invest at least 1 point into a skill, for a +benefit to work.

It is a + for all skills of a certain class. The little blue + went away once I hit max level of the skill. I'll have to play around with it and see. I get the "you have to have a point" part, otherwise that poo poo would be super overpowered.

Meydey posted:

Was playing on my Demo last night and these dropped: http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Soiled_Trousers

ummm....

Ha. I am doing a playthrough with my wife and her nephew and we made her wear those. It was a good laugh.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Llednar Twem posted:

What should I pair with Soldier for a pistol + shield build? I originally planned on grabbing this game's Hunting equivalent for my second mastery...but it doesn't seem to have one? Nightblade is the only other mastery that looks to be non-caster, and it seems to be pretty heavily locked into melee. Even pneumatic burst requires a melee weapon despite not actually being an attack as far as I can tell from the description.

Demolitionist? Its not really a caster, more of a ranged physical/fire damage type. I was thinking of doing the pistol/shield combo myself, but I have far too many build ideas and not enough time to play them all right now.

Thing is, I am not sure shield adds much to the gameplay for a pistol build - if theyre getting in close enough to block then a melee weapon does more damage and if they're at a distance the shield does nothing useful apart from gap closing with Blitz (which then nullifies your range advantage) and stunning with Forcewave, but Demo has better stuns IMO.

Now, a dual wield pistol build with the soldier passives could be great.

Edit - but compared to other people in this thread I am a novice so don't take my word for it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammon posted:

Thing is, I am not sure shield adds much to the gameplay for a pistol build

I can see shield gunners being good for if you're soloing and run into walls of ranged enemies whose attacks you can't manually dodge because the projectiles move too fast (like... well, other guns). In mp, even if you're both ranged, you can just trade ducking in and out, y'know? You could argue in favor of Mirror of Ereoctes, but that only lasts a few seconds, you gotta let it recharge, and it assumes you sub Arcanist.

I wonder what the expansion they're planning is gonna have. I hope we get a class that deals with 1h gunners, maybe split its skills into "desperado style" for dual-wielding and "fortress style" for gun + shield. Gun + shield (or gun + caster off-hand) definitely feels underrepresented in terms of skills that make it viable.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 2, 2016

Karnivool
May 28, 2009
Any recommendations for a fast farming build for elite/ultimate?

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

I can see shield gunners being good for if you're soloing and run into walls of ranged enemies whose attacks you can't manually dodge because the projectiles move too fast (like... well, other guns).

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. In Titan Quest it was almost never the melee enemies that killed me anyway. The real threats were the hordes of skeleton archers, which would shred any remotely squishy ranged character not running squall. If this game is similar than extra defenses are perfectly justified even at a distance.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
What's a good secondary for a 2h gun Demolitionist? Right now I'm level 14-ish and fighting is pretty much throw the lightning stun thingies, molotov, grenade, cluster bomb, then mop up with the demo's autoattack skill if there's still anything alive after all those explosions. I usually play melee tanks in ARPGs, but being able to just shoot escaping trash mobs at max screen range is so good.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

You can go 2h gun Demo/Shaman and shoot chain lightning.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

soscannonballs posted:

You can go 2h gun Demo/Shaman and shoot chain lightning.

Wait, you can? What do you need to do that?

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Primal Strike works with 2H range weapons. Also the Kraken devotion gives an insane damage boost...but only as long as you are using a 2H weapon of any sort.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
:aaa:

I had been thinking about going rifle (with fire strike) and canister bombs, but I might have to go for chain lightning if I can figure out the rest of a build that supports it.

edit: Flame Touched boosts lightning damage too? I might be able to do lightning and bombs! Flashbang works with everything, too.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 2, 2016

Karnivool
May 28, 2009

Prism posted:

:aaa:

I had been thinking about going rifle (with fire strike) and canister bombs, but I might have to go for chain lightning if I can figure out the rest of a build that supports it.

edit: Flame Touched boosts lightning damage too? I might be able to do lightning and bombs! Flashbang works with everything, too.

Might be worth looking at this guys ranged primal strike build http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32557

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I'm doing a Demo/Shaman because I wanted to try out Savagery with dual pistols but I have been leveling up as 2h ranged Primal Strike and its working out well.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
2H Primal Strike does work well, although you're still quite a target for fast mobs until you pump Wind Devils or Storm Totem. In fact, Wind Devils are great for clearing tricky dungeons - just fire them off around corners and wait for the XP to roll in.
The main problem was mana regen until I got Revered with Kymon's Chosen and could pick up some gear from them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just got this game as it popped up on my 'wish list' on sale. I don't even remember putting it on my wish list, but I got it, and it seems like a lot of fun, although I need to do a lot of reading on builds and stuff it appears. I started a demo guy with a rifle (since it was the first weapon I found at level 1) and I got to level 9 with it, but there seems to be a lot of depth in the builds so I need to actually read up on some other builds and see what I should be going for I think.

For a $22'ish game, seems pretty awesome!

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I've only played a melee character to like level 15, the annoying thing is having very limited AOE and thus trash clearing speed compared to Devouring Swarm or O's Flash Freeze. Ring of Blades or whatever is nice but very short range and has a cooldown. What's the best way for dualwielding tricksters to clear large groups of trash, is there a specific component or item-granted skill that most people use?

No idea how it'll stack up endgame, but I'm currently playing a Trickster thats mainly focusing on bleed and its going well in elite so far.

I started with Devouring Swarm and put the Falcon Swoop devotion on it asap, then later switched it to the Huntress Rend devotion. Then I maxed Nightblade mastery and got the summon skill, followed by the dual wield skills. Which order you get stuff in depends how much you want to melee, procing Rend with Swarm is the most important thing for killing stuff really. You can use Savagery for melee but I'm currently using the Mistborn Talisman relic to save skillpoints.

I went with this build because I got a few Trickster bleed legendaries on my first char, so there is gear supporting it. The AOE is awesome but a lightning build might be way more single target damage and ultimately stronger on ultimate :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
I got this game this weekend and its fun as hell and i am playing a blademaster and I think I have the skill build down but I am not sure what stats to go for. Go max cunning sounds like the best plan but after that then what? Is there any weapons i should (or should not) use? (like only use swords or things like that).