Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was just the first shot in the war, there'll probably be further shenanigans next week after Trump Drumpf responds tomorrow. But yeah, people are posting that video all over my Facebook feed.

Also BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY
http://donaldjdrumpf.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The problem with going after Drumpf is nothing seems to phase him thus far.

Honestly, the best thing Drumpf can do is ignore it but it would be funny if just attack Oliver too.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sbaldrick posted:

Honestly, the best thing Drumpf can do is ignore it but it would be funny if just attack Oliver too.

It doesn't matter if it phases him or not, the point is to point out how lovely he really is.

On another note maybe rather than protest traditional white people movies and instead go see Tyler Perry movies why not actually go see movies with and about Black people that are quality? Go see Race. It was a good sports biopic.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If I google kanye west finger in butt will I get the joke or should I just ask here? I'd like to not have that in my search history if at all possible, though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah this episode was poor overall, you can't go at Trump by just going "TRUMP! Can you believe it!? isn't he the worst?!" cause it's just banal, it also comes off as pandering to his own liberal leaning audience. It feels more like Trump trolled the Weekly Show into taking a timid swipe at him than anything else, if they couldn't do something which was both entertaining as well as clever they shoulda just let the whole thing rest or give it much less screen time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Krinkle posted:

If I google kanye west finger in butt will I get the joke or should I just ask here? I'd like to not have that in my search history if at all possible, though.

I forget the context and who said it but on Twitter one of his former girlfriends insinuated that she fingered him on his request and he made a super serious reply that he is totally not into that kind of thing, ever, for real.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Krinkle posted:

I can't tell what mental image is funnier. That Drumpf central is on red alert, lockdown, crisis mode all night long on this Drumpf scandal, or that nobody saw the show or cared, and donald is going to get asked this tomorrow until november every time someone shoves a mic in his face and he is going to go "huh? wha? what are you talking about?"

If he had seen it on the night, he would've been up until 3am trashing the show on Twitter because that's how it happened to Megyn Kelly.

sbaldrick posted:

Considering that a lot of people outside the current events and politics bubble haven't really made up their minds yet, consider it an investment in the future.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah this episode was poor overall, you can't go at Trump by just going "TRUMP! Can you believe it!? isn't he the worst?!" cause it's just banal, it also comes off as pandering to his own liberal leaning audience.
Ehh. It may have been banal, but it also felt cathartic. Also, it's good to have this information all in one convenient video. Also, Jon is correct - a big part of Trump is that he does not define himself, so that everyone can see in him what they want. So, it's good to see him defined. And finally, Marco Rubio was making the same 'short - fingered' jokes just yesterday, so LWT may suddenly find itself becoming an accessory Republican attack ad.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

A funny reaction would be nice but the episode seemed more like "what to tell someone who's thinking of voting for Trump" than an attack on the man himself.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Phi230 posted:

It doesn't matter if it phases him or not, the point is to point out how lovely he really is.

On another note maybe rather than protest traditional white people movies and instead go see Tyler Perry movies why not actually go see movies with and about Black people that are quality? Go see Race. It was a good sports biopic.

Everyone already know he's lovely, in his launch he called all Mexicans rapists the media then called him on it and he just kept on going. Drumpf is beyond this so honestly Oliver just have just started making things up about him.

He picked a fight with the Pope and it didn't phase him.

See Dope too, it is very good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah this episode was poor overall, you can't go at Trump by just going "TRUMP! Can you believe it!? isn't he the worst?!" cause it's just banal, it also comes off as pandering to his own liberal leaning audience. It feels more like Trump trolled the Weekly Show into taking a timid swipe at him than anything else, if they couldn't do something which was both entertaining as well as clever they shoulda just let the whole thing rest or give it much less screen time.

John Oliver was actually being pretty fair about the whole thing by focusing on just how utterly incompetent and useless Trump has been in his own dealings rather than how bad his policies are.

There's just not that much you can do to directly confront Trump when he's so totally insistent on not existing in the same reality as everyone else. What do you do when he just directly contradicts everything you say? It's like trying to debate against a brick wall. And then the audience just decides to take one person's word over the other, because god knows nobody ever checks facts. It's like that one Monty Python sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

John Oliver was actually being pretty fair about the whole thing by focusing on just how utterly incompetent and useless Trump has been in his own dealings rather than how bad his policies are.

There's just not that much you can do to directly confront Trump when he's so totally insistent on not existing in the same reality as everyone else. What do you do when he just directly contradicts everything you say? It's like trying to debate against a brick wall. And then the audience just decides to take one person's word over the other, because god knows nobody ever checks facts. It's like that one Monty Python sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

The best way to attack Trump is not respond to the crazy/racist/bigoted poo poo that he says during his campaign, but rather just point out poo poo that he's said years ago. CNN did a great piece today where they pointed out he was lying about not knowing about the KKK leader endorsing him, etc...

He has said and done some pretty reprehensible things in the past like not allowing Black people to rent in his buildings, saying "Laziness is a trait of the blacks" and more stuff including anti-semitism on the racism and bigotry front but really just show that he hasn't made any money since he inherited his father's money, show the people that he fails in business deals and just fails in a lot of his efforts overall, you know, which he does.

Once we hit a general election all the poo poo that seemingly slides right off Drumpf will tank him. Americans (not the conservative minority we have in this country) will not elect a bigoted, silver spoon, wall street elite to the position of President, not in today's world. This is reflected in the numbers, even the Republican party itself hates him not to mention the majority of the country is literally ashamed of having him be a candidate, let alone a president.

Also yea I really wanted to see Dope but never got the chance but now that its on Netflix I guess I got no excuse.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Some people were claiming that Bernie Sanders supporters would avoid voting for Hillary out of spite or being whiny babies or... something... if Hillary is nominated. I don't think that's really the case at all, I can't imagine people being so disenfranchised over a Bernie Sanders defeat that they'd just let Donald Trump get elected. I'm all for Sanders myself even if I'm under no delusions that he's going to get nominated, but I would still vote for a million Hillary Clintons over Drumpf. At worst, at absolute worst Hillary would just be an extension of Obama's presidency of making things kind-of-okay. We'd continue to coast along on our present course instead of crashing into the sea while the whole world looks on and hates us.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I installed the Make Donald Drumpf again extension so now I have no idea if the people earlier on were actually saying his name or if they've joined with the rest of America and have made Donald Drumpf again. :911:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

King Vidiot posted:

Some people were claiming that Bernie Sanders supporters would avoid voting for Hillary out of spite or being whiny babies or... something... if Hillary is nominated. I don't think that's really the case at all, I can't imagine people being so disenfranchised over a Bernie Sanders defeat that they'd just let Donald Trump get elected. I'm all for Sanders myself even if I'm under no delusions that he's going to get nominated, but I would still vote for a million Hillary Clintons over Drumpf. At worst, at absolute worst Hillary would just be an extension of Obama's presidency of making things kind-of-okay. We'd continue to coast along on our present course instead of crashing into the sea while the whole world looks on and hates us.

Hillary murdered a goon and called my grandma a bitch. Not presidential material.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Less goons is always a good thing and maybe your grandma should stop being such a bitch

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm trying to picture someone who voted for Obama over Romney but will vote for Trump and I'm having trouble.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Babe Magnet posted:

Less goons is always a good thing and maybe your grandma should stop being such a bitch

Wow, rude. I'm not voting for Babe Magnet either.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I've been pretty outspoken about my distaste for HRC, but honestly she voted the same as Sanders on like 93% of bills when they were both in Senate. Moreover, this election has always been about SCOTUS even before Scalia died. I think a lot of Bernie supporters will talk poo poo when he drops out (which he should probably do after he gets crushed on Super Tuesday), but they'll come around.

On the other hand, while I'm not concerned that would-be Sanders voters would vote for ANYONE from the GOP, I do have some concerns that they might stay home instead. Hopefully Scalia's death has been enough of a wake-up call to the Democratic voting base that this election is absolutely critical.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Yeah I would love to see these people eat their words when the next president who appoints Scalia's position is a Democrat. As much as I hate Hillary I would vote for her over Trump in a heartbeat. Overall I thought that sketch was necessary and if nothing else it will make the internet fun for a few days. Can't wait for my hat.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Based off of my Facebook the Drumpf bit had been the most shared LWT clip so far. Whether or not it makes a difference is doubtful, but like you said it should be fun for a few days. I really hope Drumpf responds in some fashion.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I thought Oliver mighy have talked about his daughter more (not in the Daily Show Trump wants to gently caress his daughter sense). She is actually pretty interesting considering she was previously a Hilary supporter, is good friends with Chelsea Clinton, and converted to Judaism when she married. She is also supposedly his main advisor on women's issues, which may explain his reticence to outright take a stance on abortion and the right to choose.

I think its a fascinating dynamic that has potential to either make him more moderate and acceptable to the center, or a liability in the same way Dick Cheney's daughter was where he accepted her but only when directly pressed on the issue and basically ignored that elephant the rest of the time.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The thrust of the piece wasn't really personal stuff but more deconstructing the brand he had built up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lifts cats over head posted:

Based off of my Facebook the Drumpf bit had been the most shared LWT clip so far. Whether or not it makes a difference is doubtful, but like you said it should be fun for a few days. I really hope Drumpf responds in some fashion.

Two of my old college friends unfriended me for thinking the Drumpf thing is going too far. I'm not fond of bullying tactics no matter how vile the target is, I think they just reinforce the echo-chamber and push folks without strong convictions away, making the target more "sympathetic" as much as that word can in any way be used for Trump. I'll talk to them after the election see if things can be mended, people get rather short-tempered.

I liked the rest of the piece, though.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Bruceski posted:

Two of my old college friends unfriended me for thinking the Drumpf thing is going too far. I'm not fond of bullying tactics no matter how vile the target is, I think they just reinforce the echo-chamber and push folks without strong convictions away, making the target more "sympathetic" as much as that word can in any way be used for Trump. I'll talk to them after the election see if things can be mended, people get rather short-tempered.

I liked the rest of the piece, though.

Link your facebook so I can unfriend you too, nerd

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Donald Trump has tiny rear end hands

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

lifts cats over head posted:

Yeah it's almost at 6 million views on youtube after 24 hours :stonk:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm trying to picture someone who voted for Obama over Romney but will vote for Trump and I'm having trouble.

Reagan Democrats.

Obama's portrayal of Mitt "Looks Like the Guy who Fired Your Dad" Romney was super effective.

Disaffected white voters who want to give the middle finger to the system? There are plenty out there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm surprised John didn't bring it up, but you know who else had a funny last name originally? (Well, his father, anyway) - Adolf 'Hitler' Schicklgruber. :hitler:

Some of his opponents made fun of it at the time. Didn't really stick, as it turns out.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

feedmegin posted:

I'm surprised John didn't bring it up, but you know who else had a funny last name originally? (Well, his father, anyway) - Adolf 'Hitler' Schicklgruber. :hitler:

Some of his opponents made fun of it at the time. Didn't really stick, as it turns out.

Not to mention the ridiculous Joseph "Stalin" Jughashvili :commissar:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah I've been pretty outspoken about my distaste for HRC, but honestly she voted the same as Sanders on like 93% of bills when they were both in Senate. Moreover, this election has always been about SCOTUS even before Scalia died. I think a lot of Bernie supporters will talk poo poo when he drops out (which he should probably do after he gets crushed on Super Tuesday), but they'll come around.

On the other hand, while I'm not concerned that would-be Sanders voters would vote for ANYONE from the GOP, I do have some concerns that they might stay home instead. Hopefully Scalia's death has been enough of a wake-up call to the Democratic voting base that this election is absolutely critical.

I'm not so sure, the rhetoric that Hillary Clinton is no different than a Republican has been pretty strong in the Bernie side. Hopefully it's all just normal primary rhetoric, but if there's an actual belief that Hillary is not different and there's no point, then they'll stay home and effectively hurt their cause.

Also there are an insane number of people who have Trump and Bernie as their number one and number two guys and some of those people are going to flock to Trump. Lots of justified anger is being drawn to the two outsider campaigns and we'll have to see how many people follow their anger on over to Trump once Bernie is out.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I really just don't believe that without some evidence. Bernie supports flocking to the Trump camp!? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Pillow Hat posted:

I really just don't believe that without some evidence. Bernie supports flocking to the Trump camp!? That makes no sense whatsoever.

What's so hard to believe about that? Their campaigns are very similar

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah there are people who have no strong party affiliation either way, who'll vote against "the establishment" which is the platform both Sanders and Dummkopf are running on. Nevermind the fact that Trump is the very embodiment of all the worst aspects of the establishment, there are plenty of people who will vote for the person who's not a political "insider" or whatever.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

The fact that both candidates are anti-establishment does not make them similar in the same way that both George W. Bush and I are anti-Ebola (but quite dissimilar).

One of the candidates is further left than any candidate has ever been in a presidential race and talking about universal health care, higher corporate tax, free college tuition, economic justice, addressing climate change, and holding police accountable. The other is talking about making Mexico pay for a wall to keep out their rapists, defunding Planned Parenthood, trusting the police, and denying climate change. I mean really, they couldn't be much more different. Anyone who believes Bernie is more similar to Drumpf than Hillary is either utterly uninformed (i.e. literally hasn't seen any presidential race news at all) or else incapable of parsing even basic ideas like the difference between "police are mistreated" and "police must be held responsible." And in anticipation of the arguments about the American voting base being a bunch of idiots, sure I agree, but I just don't believe they can't tell Drumpf from Sanders without some actual evidence. It sounds nice to make the argument as a linguistic exercise, but I want to see some polling or something to back up this outlandish claim. :colbert:

The better argument is that would-be Sanders voters will just stay home.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't think it's Sanders' current supporters that will be flocking to Trump.

I can imagine a bunch of LIV that might have voted for Sanders in the general (but don't vote in primaries or midterms anyway) picking Trump over Clinton if they're ambiguously unsatisfied with the status quo. Clinton has postured herself too much as the continuity candidate and for many people Trump's xenophobic posturing isn't a deal breaker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say that by and far the greatest risk is for Sanders voters to not turn up at all on election day because "my pick didn't get nominated, so what's the point?"

Democrats, post primary, REALLY need to hitting the idea of participating in the election over any other idea. The only way to lose the general election at that point is if more racist and crazy hits the polls than normal people.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I would say that by and far the greatest risk is for Sanders voters to not turn up at all on election day because "my pick didn't get nominated, so what's the point?"

I agree with this completely. I would add that Drumpf is the best pick for this scenario because I believe that he is most likely to inspire voter turnout from people who want ANYONE but Drumpf. I will be much more concerned if the GOP nomination ends up going to Rubio, for example. Despite being an utterly detestable and spineless waste of oxygen, he is not as vitriolic as Drumpf and I think people will not feel as compelled to show up to vote for HRC over Rubio.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Whizbang posted:

Wow, rude. I'm not voting for Babe Magnet either.

but my policies! my referendums!! my other things!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

"We are selling these at cost."

"17.50"

um....

• Locked thread