Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is neat, thanks for linking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Gleemax finally gets a playable card

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

That's an angry lookin fat guy who desperately needs to shave whatever that poo poo on his face is.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
G-Glenn?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Everyone's favorite Twitter poster / MTG Spokesman Trick Jarrett posted the question: What's your favorite 2-power creature. All of the old school memories people have been posting made me think of my favorite old school card: Savannah Lions

A rare 2/1 for W, but it was in my first tourney winning deck (White Weenie) and it was such a strong play. Lions with my army of Pump Knights was my only defense against Necro Summer!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Heir of the Wilds, hands down.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Imo the biggest upside of the new card is that you get to cast sorceries at instant speed and for 1 mana. It's potentially cool with something like Day's Undoing

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Brain in a Jar, Rare
Artifact
1,t: Put a charge counter on ~. You may cast an instant or sorcery card from your hand with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on ~.

3, t, Remove X charge counters from ~: scry X.

At last, the enabler Day's Undoing needs to bust this Standard wide open.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Can someone point me in a good direction to acquire a full collection of card images at a higher resolution than what gatherer has? I have a full collection of gatherer images from cockatrice.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they're changing the Pro Tour finals playoffs so the first 2 games are pre-sideboard, that doesn't seem all that great to me

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

they're changing the Pro Tour finals playoffs so the first 2 games are pre-sideboard, that doesn't seem all that great to me

That does seem like a horrible change.

Especially for matchups where the sideboard is made to cripple certain decks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rimusutera posted:

This is the weird thing about this standard, its actually more consistent to run four colours because of the intereaction between fetches and tangos. If you try to run say Abzan, you have access to 12 or more fetches, but many of them end up only hitting one colour. Run Prairie Streams and Sunken Hallows rather than just Canopy Vistas and suddenly your Flooded Strands can get you White, Green, Black or Blue. Deltas can get you White, Black and Blue, and your Heaths can get you Green White and Blue. Which is way better than trying to run Deltas and Strands that can only get you Black and White respectively.

poo poo, even the two color decks end up with a third color tacked on for the same reason.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What was the impetus behind the change even supposed to be, I don't think I heard anybody clamoring for it

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'd rather they have a Best of 5 with the first 2 games sans sideboard.

Edit: Oops, heard this is what they're doing. Now I am confused.

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 1, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

En Fuego posted:

Everyone's favorite Twitter poster / MTG Spokesman Trick Jarrett posted the question: What's your favorite 2-power creature. All of the old school memories people have been posting made me think of my favorite old school card: Savannah Lions

A rare 2/1 for W, but it was in my first tourney winning deck (White Weenie) and it was such a strong play. Lions with my army of Pump Knights was my only defense against Necro Summer!

Even though she's never actually a 2-power creature.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Looking through more Inquest scans, and the ads for random old CCGs are the best.

Check out that artist photo.

I vaguely remember actually owning a deck of this game as a kid and it was really boring.

Sleeves? Pshaw!

Remember when Demonic Tutor and Unholy Strength were actually controversial?

I can't track down the infamous issue (I think it's #4 or #6) with the Ice Age set review where they single out Necropotence as the worst card in the set.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

En Fuego posted:

Well, I didn't realize Savannah Lions was rare until now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It was at uncommon in masters edition which is how some people justify it for their peasant cubes - myself included.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

ShaneB posted:

It was at uncommon in masters edition which is how some people justify it for their peasant cubes - myself included.

Nowadays they print Savannah Lions with upside at uncommon. :v:

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
What's the deal with gp and scg pricing vs payout. Especially the scg thing is rough when you look at total taken in vs payout but with these record attendance events something needs to change. I mean I get that you want to cover venue etc but when you consider that competitive magic is a non trivial product seller (wotc) and probably a primary driver for the secondary market in just suprised they can't up the prizes/hype. The EV is really rough not even considering travel or lodging. At least with my poker tourneys there is at least a chance for some of the optimism. Unlike the current situation of I need to top 8 this 700 person event to cover any trip that I can't drive to and crash at a buddies place.

Edit: I think scavenging ooze is my favorite 2/2 as it has a ton of random game vs graveyard shenanigans, incidental delve and snap hate, but most of all a high ceiling

dogsupremacy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 1, 2016

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Entropic posted:

Sleeves? Pshaw!

I do remember that for the first few tournaments I went to, sleeves were totally not legal. People would show up with their money cards in the hard plastic sleeves and/or those lucite screw-on bricks and put them beside their deck in a stack, and when their sharpied island card with "black lotus" written on it showed up, they'd have to show they owned the card and pull it out of their stack of money cards.

sleeves were pretty lovely back then too, just thin plastic, no back covering or anything so I dunno it made sense to ban them back then.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If I use Brain in a Jar to cast Lightning Axe and choose not to discard do I still have to pay 5? Or does it count as a mana cost?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Even though she's never actually a 2-power creature.

This is good but I choose Dark Confidant.

For old school best it was Hypnotic Specter hands down.

Edit: also Brain in a jar can make Duress pretty funny if it lets you cast it during their draw step.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If I use Brain in a Jar to cast Lightning Axe and choose not to discard do I still have to pay 5? Or does it count as a mana cost?

quote:

If you cast a card “without paying its mana cost,” you can’t pay any alternative costs, such as awaken costs. You can, however, pay additional costs, such as kicker costs. If the card has any mandatory additional costs, you must pay those to cast the card.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

my favorite two power creature is a face down exalted angel

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Venser, Shaper Savant, as the best man o'war, gets my nod for 2 power creature

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mary Ann Dibari died on the first day of spring, 2015. Is it wrong that I want to send her family 20 bucks worth of copies of revised unholy strength off of TCGPlayer in memoriam?

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

UberJew posted:

Venser, Shaper Savant, as the best man o'war, gets my nod for 2 power creature

I think reflector Mage makes a strong bid for best man o war nowdays

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I remember it being out of my price range when I was like 13. Then I started judging at my game store, and yeah, that's right, I had a set of Revised Savannah Lions. :smug:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Spicy Manipulator is still one of my favorite cards ever. I have my original one I packed in an unlimited booster sitting in my " don't trade these" binders. As generic as it is I always loved the art too.

The ice age art was trash. I have a bunch of ice age spicy's sitting in the "trade this poo poo" binder.

Bone crank was the worst...

Re: Satan's own card game, my gf in high school had her full set of beta cards thrown in the trash by her Best friends crazy jebus nut grandmother.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Gary

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eidolon owns

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

dogsupremacy posted:

I think reflector Mage makes a strong bid for best man o war nowdays

when reflector mage can target the stack then perhaps i will prefer it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lord of Atlantis, or Master of the Pearl Trident, or Merrow Reejerey, or Master of Waves

Do I actually have to pick?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
s..s..snapcaster mage? :shobon:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

They have no incentive to make them any cheaper. GP Detroit is $65 and it is being organized by a zero-effort organizer who is offering little incentive to sign up.

Are PES doing Detroit? I wasn't likely to go but after Pittsburgh, if they're doing it, I'll be 0%.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Abusing a bug in MTGO's programming is a bannable offense?

Intentionally doing so (which his opponent admitted to) falls under a category known as "cheating." So yeah, I hope so.

The best 2 power creature is Delver of Secrets followed by Snapcaster.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

The best 2 power creature is Delver of Secrets

but neither side has 2 power :confused:

The correct answer is Goblin Guide though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Lord of Atlantis, or Master of the Pearl Trident, or Merrow Reejerey, or Master of Waves

Do I actually have to pick?

Harbinger of the Tides is a REAL strong contender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

Are PES doing Detroit? I wasn't likely to go but after Pittsburgh, if they're doing it, I'll be 0%.

What happened in Pittsburgh?

• Locked thread