Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

reallivedinosaur posted:

Anything that makes the live connection before ground

What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I used to think Monster was overpriced AV garbage until I bought a $12 one on amazon. It is the best made cheap cable I have, while the planet waves and others constantly give me issues. I don't buy into audiophile horseshit, but I am really gunshy on cables now having gone through so many poo poo ones. By poo poo I mean failing to consistently maintain a connection, for the most part the sound quality is a wash between them.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

What does this mean?

The live part of the plug makes contact before the ground part. And if you plug your guitar in with the amp at volume you will hear loud pops which might just blow your speakers up. You know those loud pops and crackles from a loose jack? Those are big problems. It also means if static is going to discharge from your body or instrument, it will discharge down the live path into the circuitry, which isn't good.

It means if you have active pickups in your guitar (or active microphone, etc) make sure the volume is turned to 0 before you plug it in to a live board because big voltage spikes can destroy the house PA system.

If the ground connection was mechanically guaranteed to be made first there would be no such excitement.

Anyways, good practice to keep your guitars volume knob at 0 when plugging and unplugging, and might save you from being murdered by the house sound guy at your next gig.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
also mute your poo poo with a pedal or put your amp in standby when plugging your guitar in, it's not that loving hard.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Or install a kill switch. Lots of things can help you with that issue, to be honest.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There should be an infomercial style black and white video of a bunch of bluesdads plugging in their guitars and cartoonishly covering their ears with their hands at the noise it makes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
WISH YOU COULD PLUG IN YOUR GUITAR WITHOUT LOUD POPS, BUMPS, OR FIZZES? HI, BILLY MAYS HERE WITH THE TONE JACK. NO NEED TO TURN YOUR AMP OFF, DOWN, OR OTHERWISE CEASE YOUR AMAZZING TONE WHEN CHANGING GUITARS. JUST INSTALL THE TONEJACK, AVAILABLE NOW FOR $39.95, YES JUST $39.95.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
angrily defending tradition of using telegraph equipment to connect guitars to amplifiers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

reallivedinosaur posted:

angrily defending tradition of using telegraph equipment to connect guitars to amplifiers

I'm just enjoying the joke that people make a problem out of loving nothing and complain about something that works perfectly fine.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think my main point is every guitar works with every amp and if people were to try a different standard you loving know Gibson would decide to be a special snowflake and have their own loving plug and contract with marshall to make the only amps that work and are so affordable starting at $3,000, but that lester sound you know!!!!!! TONEWOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I go to redco.com and buy bulk mogami cable and switchcraft ends and make my own high quality cables for the price of cheap ones.

they last forever and can be repaired easily if I have an issue, and my guitar cables and pedalboard cables are all a matching bright blue color so mofos can't steal them too easily

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
You can also buy mute guitar cables to cut signal as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Circuit-Breaker-Instrument/dp/B0002NIAAM

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My dad is an audiophile. I'm an electrical engineer. No matter how often or in what detail I explain to him that no, choosing a $3 over a $70 HDMI cable will not impact the fidelity of the signal, he refuses to believe me on the basis that "he can just tell the difference." The man is half deaf and he thinks he can hear static on his 0s and 1s. There is no helping these people.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Shugojin posted:

I think my main point is every guitar works with every amp and if people were to try a different standard you loving know Gibson would decide to be a special snowflake and have their own loving plug and contract with marshall to make the only amps that work and are so affordable starting at $3,000, but that lester sound you know!!!!!! TONEWOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Headphone plug adapters are like a dollar, or would be if musicians weren't artificially limiting themselves to pre-WWI technology.

I know more than one guy who plays through a 50' coiled patch cord at home because Hendrix did, and that's how he got his tone. Guitarists still can't figure out how to get rid of 60hz mains hum believe in mojo and magic.

You try to talk about signal attenuation and how they could just roll off the treble knob on their amp but I guess that takes the magic mojo and soul of peoples lovely covers of Hey Joe.

I'd prefer as close to a purely digital signal path as possible and would probably have DSP chips built right into the guitars electronics, like a higher resolution version of the rocksmith guitar cable, and then go with any one of the many fine high-speed digital interconnects we enjoy in our modern times, and I guess if I really cared I could just roll my own.

Line 6 kind of does that already with those "modelling guitars" and I've seen a few guitars with USB ports so I guess there are people out there still trying to create something better.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

reallivedinosaur posted:

Headphone plug adapters are like a dollar, or would be if musicians weren't artificially limiting themselves to pre-WWI technology.

I know more than one guy who plays through a 50' coiled patch cord at home because Hendrix did, and that's how he got his tone. Guitarists still can't figure out how to get rid of 60hz mains hum believe in mojo and magic.

You try to talk about signal attenuation and how they could just roll off the treble knob on their amp but I guess that takes the magic mojo and soul of peoples lovely covers of Hey Joe.

I'd prefer as close to a purely digital signal path as possible and would probably have DSP chips built right into the guitars electronics, like a higher resolution version of the rocksmith guitar cable, and then go with any one of the many fine high-speed digital interconnects we enjoy in our modern times, and I guess if I really cared I could just roll my own.

Line 6 kind of does that already with those "modelling guitars" and I've seen a few guitars with USB ports so I guess there are people out there still trying to create something better.

do you have any single idea how an electric guitar works

like, a single pickup guitar is, electrically, two wires connected to a magnet, and if you have a volume knob it's just a variable resistor

that is IT

you could literally solder your pickup right to the input jack on your amp and it would work, the connection is just metal on metal

yet you want to replace that with what, like, a loving computer? all-digital signal path from the guitar???

you're sounding like more of a cork sniffer than the strawman tone-dads you're raging against

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dewgy posted:

do you have any single idea how an electric guitar works

like, a single pickup guitar is, electrically, two wires connected to a magnet, and if you have a volume knob it's just a variable resistor

that is IT

you could literally solder your pickup right to the input jack on your amp and it would work, the connection is just metal on metal

yet you want to replace that with what, like, a loving computer? all-digital signal path from the guitar???

you're sounding like more of a cork sniffer than the strawman tone-dads you're raging against

That's how a strat single coil pickup works, sure. Active pickups have built in solid state pre-amps, so your metal-on-metal analogy already kind of became obsolete in the 1970s.

I think the Ovation Breadwinner was the first guitar to ship with active pickups?

There are optical transducers, there are piezos, there are MIDI guitars, there's a lot of really cool poo poo out there to be experimented with.

Practically all modern music production is digital, noisy analog signal paths belong in museums next to gramaphones and 8-track players.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

reallivedinosaur posted:

That's how a strat single coil pickup works, sure. Active pickups have built in solid state pre-amps, so your metal-on-metal analogy already kind of became obsolete in the 1970s.

I think the Ovation Breadwinner was the first guitar to ship with active pickups?

There are optical transducers, there are piezos, there are MIDI guitars, there's a lot of really cool poo poo out there to be experimented with.

Practically all modern music production is digital, noisy analog signal paths belong in museums next to gramaphones and 8-track players.

right because no one ever uses passive pickups ever and they should be done away with

you don't even know what obsolete means do you

hint: it doesn't mean "someone invented something more complicated"

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 1, 2016

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dewgy posted:

right because no one ever uses passive pickups ever and they should be done away with

I never said that at all. You can keep your old ways. You can even play a classical lute strung with real cat gut if you want.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

reallivedinosaur posted:

I never said that at all. You can keep your old ways. You can even play a classical lute strung with real cat gut if you want.

you don't even comprehend the argument and yet you're still trying to act elitist

that's fuckin special dude

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Dewgy posted:

hint: it doesn't mean "someone invented something more complicated"

Tell that to people who switched to smartphones in place of their home phone line.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

reallivedinosaur posted:

:crossarms: Almost every electric guitar uses passive pickups. What are you talking about?

Active is is standard on acoustic/electrics, otherwise is it's some basses and like EMGs

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

crashdome posted:

Tell that to people who switched to smartphones in place of their home phone line.

cell phones aren't simply more complex, they're actually functionally way better

mclast posted:

:crossarms: Almost every electric guitar uses passive pickups. What are you talking about?

Active is is standard on acoustic/electrics, otherwise is it's some basses and like EMGs

no no don't you see, it's all cork sniffing you loser, digital is the way of the future

y'know let's discount audio latency, signal processing time, being unable to use analogue effects, significantly increased cost and difficulty to wire, and the fact that if you want a DSP you can just loving plug a 1/4 cable into one because it's literally just two wires and will be compatible with everything you can point a soldering iron at forever

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dewgy posted:

you don't even comprehend the argument and yet you're still trying to act elitist

that's fuckin special dude

What argument? Why are you so upset?

This is the back of an Axe FX-II unit. I want to use the digital part. You can use the analog part if you prefer it, but the world is digital now.

I would like for the signal from each pickup in my guitar to be fed into the unit at once, heck even alongside a MIDI signal and mixed and messed with in that domain. I want to play a piece once, then mix and remaster and gently caress around with it and play with effects and different pickup/transducer combinations after the fact.

That way I'm not limited to just the 5 way toggle switch on my strat (only two of which are hum cancelling and useful to me). There's all kinds of cool stuff that could be done, but I'm not saying everybody has to do it.

I don't know what there is to argue about. Can't we just both do what we want?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I'm not gonna poo poo on digital modelling as a concept, but I am gonna laugh at you if you have a strat and only ever use two pickups at once

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Dewgy posted:

cell phones aren't simply more complex, they're actually functionally way better

lol

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lol like why even buy a strat?? you want humbuckers dawg

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

mclast posted:

I'm not gonna poo poo on digital modelling as a concept, but I am gonna laugh at you if you have a strat and only ever use two pickups at once

I don't have much choice for recording stuff to practice over, the wiring in this building is pretty crap and the mains hum is annoying to me and it's not a problem worth throwing my money at.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

you got a landline in your pocket or something

reallivedinosaur posted:

What argument? Why are you so upset?

This is the back of an Axe FX-II unit. I want to use the digital part. You can use the analog part if you prefer it, but the world is digital now.

I would like for the signal from each pickup in my guitar to be fed into the unit at once, heck even alongside a MIDI signal and mixed and messed with in that domain. I want to play a piece once, then mix and remaster and gently caress around with it and play with effects and different pickup/transducer combinations after the fact.

That way I'm not limited to just the 5 way toggle switch on my strat (only two of which are hum cancelling and useful to me). There's all kinds of cool stuff that could be done, but I'm not saying everybody has to do it.

I don't know what there is to argue about. Can't we just both do what we want?

this is the stupid music poo poo thread and you're talking some of the stupidest music poo poo i've heard in a while

new amp tech is cool and all but there's actual good reasons why the 1/4 cable is still used

sorry to hear about your lovely building wiring tho~

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

mclast posted:

lol like why even buy a strat?? you want humbuckers dawg

Sometimes, other times what I want is more clarity, like maybe noiseless active pickups like lace sensors.

Anyways I concede, you guys win, guitars and amplifiers should never ever change.

It is wrong to use computers to make music and ridiculous to want to try out new things.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
gently caress it, i'm inventing a dual mode CDMA/GSM guitar

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

reallivedinosaur posted:

I don't have much choice for recording stuff to practice over, the wiring in this building is pretty crap and the mains hum is annoying to me and it's not a problem worth throwing my money at.

So it's not worth throwing money at, but it is worth revamping the standard of every guitar, amp, and effects manufacturer. Ok

Also using computers to make music, literally impossible in tyool 2016. You are a silly dude

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mclast posted:

So it's not worth throwing money at, but it is worth revamping the standard of every guitar, amp, and effects manufacturer. Ok

Also using computers to make music, literally impossible in tyool 2016. You are a silly dude

how do we improve upon a single cable that replaces two wires?

DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING

why is this better?

SHUT UP TONE-SNIFFER

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Dewgy posted:

you got a landline in your pocket or something

no. but I'm also not all
"I'll give you my 1/4" cables when you pry them from my cold dead hands! :argh:"

Cell phones are super overly-complex for their purpose and getting more so everyday. So is the robo-tuner. So is everything at NAMM.

I'm just actually and geniunely surprised no one has replaced the 1/4" connector with a multi-wire connector that supplies power to an active pickup and some wonderous Bluetooth app-controlled digital fx processor built right onto the instrument.

That is all.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well this encapsulates exactly why the standard has never changed

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

crashdome posted:

no. but I'm also not all
"I'll give you my 1/4" cables when you pry them from my cold dead hands! :argh:"

Cell phones are super overly-complex for their purpose and getting more so everyday. So is the robo-tuner. So is everything at NAMM.

I'm just actually and geniunely surprised no one has replaced the 1/4" connector with a multi-wire connector that supplies power to an active pickup and some wonderous Bluetooth app-controlled digital fx processor built right onto the instrument.

That is all.

i'm hardly against new tech, my current GAS for like the last year has been a carvin MIDI semihollow

having wired a guitar though i have absolutely no idea how you would replace the 1/4 cable or why you'd bother, it's a dead simple solution with a lot of flexibility

like, you could use 1/4" cables for any other electrical purpose and they would work, it's just a solderless physical connection between point A and point B

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
how am I going to solder my $50 artisanal bespoke paper-in-oil capacitors into a guitar filled with like serial ATA cables and poo poo like that?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

crashdome posted:

I remember seeing some guitar with like a knockoff Ipad built in, I think it was an Ibanez or some other dirt-rock guitar. you could do bad whammy bar effects by touching the ipad thing

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

City of Tampa posted:

I remember seeing some guitar with like a knockoff Ipad built in, I think it was an Ibanez or some other dirt-rock guitar. you could do bad whammy bar effects by touching the ipad thing

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rgkp6-with-korg-mini-kaoss-pad-2-electric-guitar

and it's not a digital signal path here either, 1/8" in to the Kong thing :v:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dude just doesn't get it. Let's think about this for just a second. We have a universally-accepted standard with billions of products in use around the world. Whoever's the first mover on a new interconnect standard immediately shuts themselves out of the entire existing ecosystem. Even if the entire industry decides to change at once, that still leaves the entire installed base of basically everything ever made still out there and in use. Instruments aren't like computers, where there's an expected replacement cycle and new tech can become standardized basically through attrition. All the old stuff is still perfectly viable for making music. And there's literally zero reason for anyone to upgrade ALL their gear just for the very minor benefits of a slightly better connector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not the benefit of the slightly better connector (although XLR completely shits on jack plugs in every single way), the main benefit of changing the standard would be to make the instrument cable balanced, thus significantly reducing the hum and other noise that is inevitably picked up by the cable from other electrical gear.

I don't give a poo poo if you implement it as an XLR plug or a TRS jack or whatever, just make the drat thing balanced. Every other instrument is balanced nowadays, only guitars are sticking with the stupid unbalanced connections for *REASONS*.

• Locked thread