Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

:chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zoe posted:

Also, I accidentally clicked a scarecrow and it told me how many crows it chased off.
those bitches do work.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 14, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
How necessary are scarecrows? I have to assume crows become an issue at some point?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just got to the bottom of the mine and unlocked the cutest minigame

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jesto posted:

If anyone wants to compile a list of non-spoily stuff to edit into the OP, PM it to me and I'll toss it in. I'm largely avoiding reading the thread to avoid spoilers. :( You could make a new thread too, sorry, I'm not very active. Enjoying this too much.

Also still regretting wooing Hayley. I thought I'd discover something about her, why she's such a terrible person. Nope. Not yet.

Its not too late to switch the target of your affections! Too bad Haley's sister isn't available, she's much nicer.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I'm at the end of Summer Y1 and I don't really feel like building a chicken coop, barn, or really messing with animals at all right now. I've got my bees and crops and I think I'd rather use the money to upgrade my house. Is it a bad idea to ignore animals for right nowe for whatever reason? I know I have a quest to build a coop but I have a feeling it doesn't matter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ComposerGuy posted:

How necessary are scarecrows? I have to assume crows become an issue at some point?

crows come down and eat a crop tile at random, which is annoying. and potentially terrible if you've got a single super rare plant

scarecrows are cheap so build them, but don't stress out trying to cover all of your fields if you don't mind something going missing every now and then

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I'm at the end of Summer Y1 and I don't really feel like building a chicken coop, barn, or really messing with animals at all right now. I've got my bees and crops and I think I'd rather use the money to upgrade my house. Is it a bad idea to ignore animals for right nowe for whatever reason? I know I have a quest to build a coop but I have a feeling it doesn't matter.

nothing in this game matters. you fled the big city rat rase. just farm, friend :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 14, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jesto posted:

Is it just me or is the bath house a little pointless? It takes so long to get to, and there's several big rooms you have to go through to get to the water. In the last room you can only walk slowly, then once you're actually in the water the EP regens ridiculously slow.

Like it takes a couple hours just to go through all this. When would it ever be useful? So far my infinite supply of crops and mushrooms sustain me.

i water all my crops like a motherfucker in the am then hit the bathouse, so long as you dont walk around in it like some marco polo chump and soak you can pop out with full energy and still have 11 hours to chop wood or mine or w/e

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jesto posted:

Is it just me or is the bath house a little pointless? It takes so long to get to, and there's several big rooms you have to go through to get to the water. In the last room you can only walk slowly, then once you're actually in the water the EP regens ridiculously slow.

Like it takes a couple hours just to go through all this. When would it ever be useful? So far my infinite supply of crops and mushrooms sustain me.
The game pauses when you eat food or harvest stuff so yeah the bath house is pointless from a min-max perspective. It unlocks too late. Especially with the berry flood you get in spring/autumn. It would mostly be useful the first few weeks.

Do any villagers go there? I'm surprised the bath house is relatively unused. It could have had things to do, unique npcs, or things along those lines. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets fleshed out at some point in the future.

The quarry also seems pretty pointless. It should have been the best way to get coal or an efficient way to get something, anything. Even the waypoint thing there is redundant.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I feel like it'd be much more useful if it gave you like a slow energy/health regenerate buff for the the day or maybe like +1 to all skills if you soak for an hour or something. As it stands, I've eaten two of the max energy granting fruits and between that and having gobs of edibles, the springs don't do anything that I can't already by popping some food (which usually also grants me a buff)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the springs are pretty worthless, yeah

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Saxophone posted:

Hnnnggg. Between CA talking about ideas for additional content and the potential for modding I'm so goddamn stoked about this game's future. It's already the chillest game I've ever played. I can't really overstate how much loving character and style this game has. I just love it.

Maybe I should look into learning to mid this thing. Maybe ore plants of some kind or something.

Edit: I know it's way early, but how promising do the modding tools look so far? I've seen API releases here and there so I'm hopeful.

Modding is proceeding at a very rapid pace. We have an API out that's halfway functional and being updated daily. Already there are some mods out through it that don't have to touch the game files at all. More traditionally, there have already been some content mods out that overwrite game files. I made a few edits to crops and fishing to allow all crops to be grown from spring to fall (they're hardcoded to die in winter no matter my edits) and allow fishes to be caught at all times of day and in all weathers (the game didn't accept my all seasons part of the edit). There are some really nice portrait overhauls for the bachelor(ettes) that bring back the old graphical style, as well as some to remove harvey's moustache or make him a bear. One guy just started audio modding by adding music to the background rain sound. Very exciting time.

But my favorite mod of all is:

:siren: DURABLE FENCES :siren:

Never have your fences break again.

I keep an updated modding thread at the chucklefish forums.

edit: almost forgot--there's a process to pull out the maps from the game that are modifiable using an existing Microsoft tilemap editor (tIDE). So I expect expansions to maps soon, and new maps at some point once we figure out how to add them in game.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 1, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

harvey is kind of weird because i don't think anyone cares for the mustache at all. he should have just been a bear from the start.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its not too late to switch the target of your affections! Too bad Haley's sister isn't available, she's much nicer.

I'm really unclear on why she isn't available

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
She's OLD and is getting macked on by Clint in his shy introverted way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Uh, I just fished up a 'Treasure Chest' worth a whooping 7k :stare:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm really bad at both the arcade games. Are there real rewards for beating them?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

She's OLD and is getting macked on by Clint in his shy introverted way.

clint can go to hell

at least mail my loving tools back to me when you're done with them you dipshit, or stay open past goddamn 4pm

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm really bad at both the arcade games. Are there real rewards for beating them?

You get the arcade machines to install in your home/where ever you want.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's with the box in the store room at the back of the restaurant? Also the three animal statues scattered around (One on the farm, one below Linus' tent, and one on the beach)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Also the three animal statues scattered around (One on the farm, one below Linus' tent, and one on the beach)

When you level up your Foraging enough you can make [loving consumable jfc why] teleport totems

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I did some more save editing and found the info for all the professions, even the ones not on the wiki yet. The selection of level 10 professions is based on the level 5 profession you picked. If you edit your file, just put these in the "professions" area. To pick a level 10 you need the matching level 5.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
That's funny, your favorite thing reminds me of my dude:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This game is the bomb, I haven't had this much fun since I played It's a Wonderful Life as a kid and couldn't realize how bad it was

But seriously this is really fun, though the spooky noises during rain are kind of weird. Are they supposed to be frogs or the thing in the sewer?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Everdraed posted:

That's funny, your favorite thing reminds me of my dude:

Everdraed when this game gets full modding support let's make a total conversion mod featuring the alien dwarf civilization coming to the surface to wreak havoc with their alien space magicks and maybe some elder god worship praise yoba

Khorne
May 1, 2002
edit: Nevermind. There are 4 dwarf scrolls and there is way more space for minerals than I thought.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 1, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

JerikTelorian posted:

I did some more save editing and found the info for all the professions, even the ones not on the wiki yet. The selection of level 10 professions is based on the level 5 profession you picked. If you edit your file, just put these in the "professions" area. To pick a level 10 you need the matching level 5.

Wait a second... "Special moves"?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

JerikTelorian posted:

This is making me rethink some of my choices.

Farming: I went Tiller > Artisan as I don't really mess with livestock. Just enough for the collectibles and artisan gifts really. This seems to be a no-brainer.
Fishing: I went Fisher but those crab pot L10s are looking good. I don't see enough treasure chest popups to make Pirate worth it, will probably just go Angler.
Foraging: Gatherer > Botanist seems to be the way to go, but I can see the maphack being worthwhile if you just want to turn everything into jams.
Mining: I'm honestly not sure. I went Geologist and am thinking Excavator for more Geodes since I really am just hoarding my gems for gifts.
Combat: Scout > Desperado seems like what I'd go for since I never use specials and the damage buffs don't seem to really be worth it.

Am I missing anything here?

Zodack posted:

But seriously this is really fun, though the spooky noises during rain are kind of weird. Are they supposed to be frogs or the thing in the sewer?

I always assumed the sounds at night and in the rain were supposed to be intentionally bad recreations of 16-bit owls or frogs.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Wait a second... "Special moves"?

If you right click, different weapons do stuff. Swords have a parry, Clubs have an overhead smash, etc.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Khorne posted:

I donated all the dwarf scrolls and still can't understand dwarfish. I donated them out of order because I found 1,3,2 in that order. Is it possibly a bug or is there something else I have to do? I have no reward to claim if that's how you get it.

Dwarf Scroll II was actually the last artifact I found to complete the collection.

There is actually 4 scrolls. The fourth only seem to drop on deeper levels though.

Emalde posted:

If you right click, different weapons do stuff. Swords have a parry, Clubs have an overhead smash, etc.
Oh, thanks. I never use those, so I forgot they even existed.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

I always assumed the sounds at night and in the rain were supposed to be intentionally bad recreations of 16-bit owls or frogs.

Yeah I couldn't really tell, the rest of the sound design is pretty normal so it was confusing.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I may have posted this already, but I work at an Aquarium and we have several different species of exotic frogs. They make the creepiest, most otherworldly noises you can imagine at night; whether that's what the game is aiming for or not it definitely sounds like that.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm gonna quote this for later just in case I forget and it's not up on the wiki yet. What's the 'try-hard' optimal path for each? I took Rancher on the advice of this thread and I took Forager over Forester which seemed like a no-brainer at level 5.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm getting random crashes while working on my farm; the crashes only ever happen on the farm screen, but I can't figure out what's actually causing them because they seem to strike at random. It's really annoying when I've just finished watering things and chopping a couple trees and then the game crashes on me :(

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Emalde posted:

There are "male" (has the dongle on its head) and "female" slimes, but you have to be on screen for them to try and reproduce.

Beyond that, I think it's bugged since it seems like they're supposed to be leaving slime balls around or something and don't appear to be?

Update on this, the "slime balls" they leave behind are actually giant slime eggs that burst into 15-20 of the regular ones. This process took me a couple of weeks, so it might be based on the number of slime you have living together.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it ok to be selling minerals after I've donated them to the museum? I have leftover stuff from geodes like granite, nekoite etc, but I haven't unlocked all of the community center rooms so I have no idea if I'll need it in future.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it ok to be selling minerals after I've donated them to the museum? I have leftover stuff from geodes like granite, nekoite etc, but I haven't unlocked all of the community center rooms so I have no idea if I'll need it in future.

You can gift them to the Wizard, the minerals, and he should accept them as a good, not great, gift. Since his great gifts are relatively easy to get by getting to the lower reaches of the mines, I'd just sell the minerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I am the only one who is slowly being driven insane by that loving dog's barking? :argh: I want to quietly enjoy building my farm but the drat dog won't shut up. Had I known the dog was going to be so annoying I would have taken a cat or no pet at all. I hope there a way to give it away to the pound (yes the dog's barking annoys me that much). Lesson learned here cats for life.