Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Isn't the marathon on USA?
Yes. I always get these mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Time for another nail in Person of Interest's coffin, Sarah Shahi was cast in another show. She'll play Nancy Drew on a new all grown up Nancy Drew show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

Time for another nail in Person of Interest's coffin, Sarah Shahi was cast in another show. She'll play Nancy Drew on a new all grown up Nancy Drew show.

Also the PoI novel by Peter Watts was cancelled because a fairly uncritical blog post about the difficulties of balancing a novel's production around the show's crazy scheduling pissed off one of the higher-ups.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I think Supergirl is pretty decent, but if I were a casual viewer that just happened to stumble upon the show and listened to the entire opening, I would laugh and change the channel.

Having a lovely one-minute origin story intro is the worst thing about this show. I think there are other things, but the show is not as bad as the other superhero shows on right now.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lol peter watts is a kook.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Speaking of cape shows is Gotham any good yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

I think Supergirl is pretty decent, but if I were a casual viewer that just happened to stumble upon the show and listened to the entire opening, I would laugh and change the channel.

Having a lovely one-minute origin story intro is the worst thing about this show. I think there are other things, but the show is not as bad as the other superhero shows on right now.

It's a very messy show in a lot of ways, but Benoist is soooo good and they've been handling the emotional beats well, so I'm willing to put up with the cheesy effects and goofy dialogue.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
God, Better Call Saul is so loving good and so loving agonizing.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Lady Naga posted:

I have liked Gotham since the beginning so I'm probably the wrong person to weigh in on it, but I do think season two is better than the first.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nancy Drew.....as a grown-up???? OH BOY

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's Sarah Shahi so you know it'll be a SEXY Nancy Drew.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Veronica Mars

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Blindspot's second half started last night on NBC.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Gonz posted:

Oh I.... must have missed it

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Gonz posted:

Call me crazy but I like this show. And basically it kinda hits the same beats and themes as Total Recall (main character gets memory wiped, wonders if previous life was doing things right, etc.) and its ilk. I mean it's not prestige TV, but the action is pretty decent and there's fairly good character work for a show I wasn't expecting it to for a network show.

But yeah sometimes looking from outside (and honestly from someone who likes the show) it totally looks like the kind of show a tv character who works on a tv show might work on (if we also count CSI:Cyber).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a very messy show in a lot of ways, but Benoist is soooo good and they've been handling the emotional beats well, so I'm willing to put up with the cheesy effects and goofy dialogue.

I really like her as Supergirl. But the show around her is just so boring and lousy.

muscles like this? posted:

After last season I don't really care much about the show anymore, besides just wanting to know how it will end.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The thing about Supergirl is that, uh, she's pretty hot

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

blue squares posted:

The thing about Supergirl is that, uh, she's pretty hot
Does that mean we should be watching Quantico?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news old people, NCIS got renewed for 2 more seasons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Sometimes you think you remember that NCIS was a spin-off of JAG and have to look it up because it couldn't possibly be that dumb right

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

GreenNight posted:

Hey, that means I get to a whole new set of final five minutes and last freeze frames before Monday Night RAW for a couple more years!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Sometimes you think you remember that NCIS was a spin-off of JAG and have to look it up because it couldn't possibly be that dumb right

Oh my god it is. I never really watched either show, so I don't really feel bad not knowing that.

edit: I am enjoying Lucifer entirely too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Does that mean we should be watching Quantico?

He's making a JEB! joke.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

He's making a JEB! joke.
That was like 5 months ago. Jeb is out of the consciousness. It's all about small hands now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Neat!

Lady Naga posted:

It was always good, it just depends what you want from it. Season 2 is definitely stronger though. Not much in the way of goofy poo poo like season 1, but if you had a stick up your rear end about young bruce wayne/catwoman or whatever that's still around.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

That was like 5 months ago. Jeb is out of the consciousness. It's all about small hands now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7bT0ik3Wg&t=57s

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder what percentage of the NCIS fanbase who watched it from day one will still be alive when the finale airs.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder what percentage of the NCIS fanbase who watched it from day one will still be alive when the finale airs.

NCIS's entire audience is people who have died while the TV was on

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blue squares posted:

NCIS's entire audience is people who have died while the TV was on

I'm not dead :mad:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The part of your brain that controls judgment is

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

IRQ posted:

I'm not dead :mad:

I'm with you buddy. And I even watch all the spin offs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm with you buddy. And I even watch all the spin offs.

I wouldn't go that far. Those are legit bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So when people say Gotham is good....what is 'good' exactly

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Going to be odd for them to continue without Weatherly.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

The actor who they got to play Penguin is pretty much the exact perfect guy. Nobody's going to recreate what Devito did with the character, so he doesn't go that direction and doesn't even try. It's a good, subservient, low-on-the-totem-pole portrayal but he always managed to carve out something for himself. And later on in the 2nd season (skip the first, honestly. Don't even bother.) he becomes good friends with proto-Riddler(just a schzophrenic GPD medical examiner right now) and the two just hang around Nygmas apartment singing showtunes. These two insane outlier weirdos lucked into finding eachother and everything about those two together is really good.

Also Gordon just straight up kills people when it suits him, none of this "We need to be better than them." nonsense when you live in loving Gotham. The show has a bunch of problems but I watch for Penguin and Riddler.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Going to be odd for them to continue without Weatherly.

Haha, what?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

It's pulpy but you know the worst thing you can say is the show has gone 'full retard' but at least it goes all out and sometimes comes out better for it. It's a lot better than the sorta wishy-washy just-a-cop-show in Gotham City it was at the start. A lot of the show is still villain attacks -> Gordon and the cops investigate -> shootouts but now it's supervillains instead of regular schmucks with a crappy gimmick and more iconic Batman villainy.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Also Gordon just straight up kills people when it suits him, none of this "We need to be better than them." nonsense when you live in loving Gotham. The show has a bunch of problems but I watch for Penguin and Riddler.
I mean Gordon is still like inherently a 'good' character but yeah I think they decided to jump away from moral paragon that he's usually associated as being (I don't read the comics, so whatever) and it's interesting watch someone who's slowly fighting the urge to become more of a pragmatist that people in Gotham have become while trying to take the moral high ground and inspire people to be better than that.

Also he now acts alongside his baby momma who plays his girlfriend and 1) it's funny how they don't keep secrets from each other that it's so refreshing and 2) this is like the first person I've seen Morena Baccarin act opposite of and actually have chemistry with.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The actor who they got to play Penguin is pretty much the exact perfect guy. Nobody's going to recreate what Devito did with the character, so he doesn't go that direction and doesn't even try. It's a good, subservient, low-on-the-totem-pole portrayal but he always managed to carve out something for himself. And later on in the 2nd season (skip the first, honestly. Don't even bother.) he becomes good friends with proto-Riddler(just a schzophrenic GPD medical examiner right now) and the two just hang around Nygmas apartment singing showtunes. These two insane outlier weirdos lucked into finding eachother and everything about those two together is really good.

Penguin's story is pretty much the best plot lines in the show. Nygma's slow fall into a delusional state is also well done.

The show is good at being incredibly campy, the dark humor is pretty fun, and and Donald Logue is a blast as Gordon's partner. Season 1 is a mess, but I enjoyed it, and Season 2 ups the crazy while reigning in some of the mess so it's definitely an uptick in quality. I like Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith), but she's pretty reviled by other posters here so I'm an outlier there.

Sober posted:

I mean Gordon is still like inherently a 'good' character but yeah I think they decided to jump away from moral paragon that he's usually associated as being (I don't read the comics, so whatever) and it's interesting watch someone who's slowly fighting the urge to become more of a pragmatist that people in Gotham have become while trying to take the moral high ground and inspire people to be better than that.

Gordon's descent from idealist to pragmatist was pretty well written I thought. It's slow baked, probably more to due to the writer's struggling with how far they will push Gordon's morality boundaries, but interesting.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I didn't like Mooney but I didn't hate her either. Fortunately she was only ever signed on for one season so she doesn't outstay her welcome.

• Locked thread