Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Smythe posted:

You must be a really cool dude lol

You're the one talking about how people 'pollute their lives' as if anyone has ever legit suffered or had worse lives from buying a Samsung smartphone. I'm just calling you out on your stupid poo poo, is all.

That commercial is legit hilarious and I think it might have convinced me to get an S7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

You're the one talking about how people 'pollute their lives' as if anyone has ever legit suffered or had worse lives from buying a Samsung smartphone. I'm just calling you out on your stupid poo poo, is all.

That commercial is legit hilarious and I think it might have convinced me to get an S7.

It's not stupid to advocate for people to well designed, secure, and best in class hardware and software on a device they not only carry on them 24/7, but interact with hundreds if not thousands of times per day.

The only "stupid poo poo" is pushing people onto devices that suck and will ultimately detract from their quality of life.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

It's not stupid to advocate for people to well designed, secure, and best in class hardware and software on a device they not only carry on them 24/7, but interact with hundreds if not thousands of times per day.

The only "stupid poo poo" is pushing people onto devices that suck and will ultimately detract from their quality of life.

Just give up dude

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Smythe posted:

95% of people don't give a poo poo about anything "well designed" in terms of Android. They only care that Snapchat and Facebook are able to be front and center on their home screen and that's about it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

...but enough about the iphone :smug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

95% of people don't give a poo poo about anything "well designed" in terms of Android. They only care that Snapchat and Facebook are able to be front and center on their home screen and that's about it.

Which is why we, the informed technocrats of the SA forums should do our best to point them in the right direction instead of sending them down Fail Road on the dilapidated OEM greyhound.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just give up dude

I'm going to turn this tepid little flame on its head and suggest that you give up, and accept the simple reality that all these OEM handsets aren't worth the rare earth metals we sucked out of the ground to make them.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Smythe posted:

Which is why we, the informed technocrats of the SA forums should do our best to point them in the right direction instead of sending them down Fail Road on the dilapidated OEM greyhound.

Every single device has some sort of compromise so no matter what somebody gets there will be somebody else bitching about it. So, the end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

I'm going to turn this tepid little flame on its head and suggest that you give up, and accept the simple reality that all these OEM handsets aren't worth the rare earth metals we sucked out of the ground to make them.

counterpoint: the S7 rules, mate

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lblitzer posted:

Every single device has some sort of compromise so no matter what somebody gets there will be somebody else bitching about it. So, the end.

Nexus devices have all sorts of hardware issues and compromises (no SD slot, battery is difficult to replace, 5X is a laggy piece of poo poo, 6P is too big) even though the software is good, and Samsung phones are the other way around. It's just a matter of priorities, and, again, who gives a poo poo

Tangent: if a phone is a bit slower to get security updates, uh, so? It's not like Russia is trying to steal your hacker secrets. You're way more vulnerable to actually physically losing your phone, which is an issue no matter what phone you have.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Compromise of an OEM phone: no patches, insecure, doesnt ever get updates, doesn't get cool new features added to android, comes with carrier and oem bloatware and ugly theming.

Nexus: Limited in software and hardware so that they work well with eachother. The Software is literally designed for this hardware, so there is some lack in diversity.

CLAM DOWN posted:

counterpoint: the S7 rules, mate

It's garbage with bad software that will be abandoned by an OEM that doesn't give a single poo poo about its users.

Daily Forecast posted:

Nexus devices have all sorts of hardware issues and compromises (no SD slot, battery is difficult to replace, 5X is a laggy piece of poo poo, 6P is too big) even though the software is good, and Samsung phones are the other way around. It's just a matter of priorities, and, again, who gives a poo poo

Tangent: if a phone is a bit slower to get security updates, uh, so? It's not like Russia is trying to steal your hacker secrets. You're way more vulnerable to actually physically losing your phone, which is an issue no matter what phone you have.

This laundry list of insanely IYG poo poo is meaningless if you use Android as intended with a quality handset. The SD slot is meaningless with Play Music and Photos spinning all your stuff to and from the cloud. The battery on a quality handset lasts years until the phone needs to be retired naturally. (e.g. my Nexus 4 battery lasted all day with normal use from when I bought it when it was released, until I retired it for a Nexus 6P years later). Regarding "who gives a poo poo": It's OK to give a poo poo about a device you use every day, many times a day. It's a nontrivial part of your life and some care and consideration are not out of order.

Regarding your tangent: Security is a top priority on any smartphone. It has all your accounts, personal data, and private details. Security and software vulnerabilities are not "shruggable"

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

My laptop has an integrated battery and no SD slot. I also expect it to get software security updates...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Folks, I am emboldened and empowered by the virtue of truth. I draw from the font of purity and shall never be dissuaded from my quest to correct the ills of this thread. I have defeated countless hordes of Android detractors in my home forum of YOSPOS and this thread is no different. The light shall shine upon you and your total conversion to my clean and righteous understanding will enrich your life and purify your eternal soul.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know why you people are responding to or cares so much about what that guy says. There's something wrong with you.

HINT HINT

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Hey, at least we've added a new topic of discussion to the weekly scheduled dumb rants.

Desk Lamp posted:

Yes those poor souls suffering with their working Bluetooth and group mms. Never knowing the joys of banging their phone against the desk to fix a busted power button or scrounging ebay to fix their busted micro USB port yet again the way best in class hardware was meant to be experienced. They'll never know the premium software experience of having your phone reboot when you use the camera shortcut or feel that ultimate Nexus fluidity as the Nexus 6P chugs along on its throttled cores. It's up to you to make sure they get the correct phone.

No phone is perfect dude, your zealous insistence that Nexus phones somehow provide an objectively superior experience is ridiculous.

Remember when Lollipop on the Nexus 5 was absolute poo poo? I was so bummed that I had to revert back to Kitkat

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 1, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Smythe posted:

Yes those poor souls suffering with their working Bluetooth and group mms. Never knowing the joys of banging their phone against the desk to fix a busted power button or scrounging ebay to fix their busted micro USB port yet again the way best in class hardware was meant to be experienced. They'll never know the premium software experience of having your phone reboot when you use the camera shortcut or feel that ultimate Nexus fluidity as the Nexus 6P chugs along on its throttled cores. It's up to you to make sure they get the correct phone.

No phone is perfect dude, your zealous insistence that Nexus phones somehow provide an objectively superior experience is ridiculous.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

I'm going to be generous and assume you were typing this while I made my last post.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

For those with the LG G4, what are your thoughts after using it for a while? Looking at picking up a Verizon LG G4 for $230 and using it on prepaid. Currently rocking the Nexus 4.

My wife has had one since shortly after it was released. Still good camera and at least decent battery (definitely both far better than the Nexus 4), but I'm not holding my breath on it getting the next version of Android. Marshmallow on it seems generally OK, except for some stupid, kinda minor bugs with 6.0.0 that apparently got fixed in 6.0.1, and who knows if or when LG is going to push out anything past 6.0.0.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Guys guys guys.

It could be worse. You could be stuck on a HTC One M7 whose notification pane doesn't even pull down unless you are in landscape mode.

On a related note if anyone picks up a S7 or LG G5 let me know what they think. I need a new phone. Not really interested in a Nexus 6p 'cause that dumb snapdragon 810 thing. Even if it's a dumb reason to discount a phone.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

I use my phone as intended and don't have any of the problems above, nor have I ever.

On the scale of perfection, we have OEM/Carrier phones way, way down the slider.To frame it on a spectrum we understand, the autism spectrum, where more problems is more autistic, an OEM/Carrier phone would definitely be in Rainman territory.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So would this be a good microSD card for my Samsung Galaxy S7 when it arrives?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q4X8OTQ?colid=3O7E0029IPRNE&coliid=I3EATZZQ8LXSSO&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

I know microSD cards don't perform the best but I'd like one that's not complete shite.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

I'm going to be generous and assume you were typing this while I made my last post.

That would be correct.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q4X8OTQ?colid=3O7E0029IPRNE&coliid=I3EATZZQ8LXSSO&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

I know microSD cards don't perform the best but I'd like one that's not complete shite.

Act before it's too late. Return that POS and get a Nexus phone before it metastasizes!

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I liked the part where I get to see other phone manufacturers skins ontop of Marshmallow and ruin the gently caress out of the usability and then have rabid users justify the horrid departure away from the material design language (which is an actual step forward in UI design)

Feels good.

So anyone got any comparisons between the 6p and the 6? I have a Nexus 6 Currently and I am aware that all things come to die. Should I wait it out for this years/next years offering of a 6 inch phone? Is there a noticeable difference in how it handles the OS?

Also complaints over "its too big", I'm 6 foot 5 and have spades for hands so it don't apply as I am in the 95th percentile for palm width.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I would use that microSD card. Actually since there's no adoptable storage support in the S7 you don't even need one that fast.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rastor posted:

I would use that microSD card. Actually since there's no adoptable storage support in the S7 you don't even need one that fast.

Cheers that's helpful. I'm gonna get a fast one so the phone doesn't have as much slowdown loading photos etc. off the card.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

captain poopfister posted:

I liked the part where I get to see other phone manufacturers skins ontop of Marshmallow and ruin the gently caress out of the usability and then have rabid users justify the horrid departure away from the material design language (which is an actual step forward in UI design)

Feels good.

So anyone got any comparisons between the 6p and the 6? I have a Nexus 6 Currently and I am aware that all things come to die. Should I wait it out for this years/next years offering of a 6 inch phone? Is there a noticeable difference in how it handles the OS?

Also complaints over "its too big", I'm 6 foot 5 and have spades for hands so it don't apply as I am in the 95th percentile for palm width.

Unless a nicer notification light and fingerprint sensor appeal to you (and I can see where they might), I'd wait.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The fingerprint sensor is the best thing to happen to smartphones. I don't know that I could ever go back to a phone without one.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

XIII posted:

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

I went from a budget LG L90 to an LG G4. I thought I would miss the off-screen buttons but after using the phone for about 8 months I'd say on-screen buttons are arguably superior; less bezel, more screen, and you can turn them off on an app-by-app basis for anything that doesn't play nice (hint: old games). It's no contest really.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jacobus Spades posted:

I went from a budget LG L90 to an LG G4. I thought I would miss the off-screen buttons but after using the phone for about 8 months I'd say on-screen buttons are arguably superior; less bezel, more screen, and you can turn them off on an app-by-app basis for anything that doesn't play nice (hint: old games). It's no contest really.

Lol I love this thread :downsgun:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I actually really like physical home buttons because it means I can pull it out of my pocket and hit the button with my thumb at the same time, and it's ready to go right when I'm looking at it. Nice little quality of life thing.

Aside from that it is an advantage that onscreen buttons can change to fit the orientation/app like physical/capacitive cannot.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Unless a nicer notification light and fingerprint sensor appeal to you (and I can see where they might), I'd wait.

Also, a ton better camera. The N6 camera is crap.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Daily Forecast posted:

I actually really like physical home buttons because it means I can pull it out of my pocket and hit the button with my thumb at the same time, and it's ready to go right when I'm looking at it. Nice little quality of life thing.

Aside from that it is an advantage that onscreen buttons can change to fit the orientation/app like physical/capacitive cannot.

In the event your phone is poorly- or anciently-designed and doesn't Ambient Display when drawn from your pocket, at least one of your fingers will fall on the power stud in most phone-in-pocket orientations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Daily Forecast posted:

You can do that using the fingerprint sensor on the back of the Nexus as well.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I turn Ambient Display off (it draws non-negligible battery on an LCD like my Moto G) and I guess I just grab my phone in my pocket different than you do.

And because of said difference I find the Nexus way of doing it honestly super-awkward, like I have to reorient my hand after it's out of my pocket. My fingers don't really naturally go there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Daily Forecast posted:

I turn Ambient Display off (it draws non-negligible battery on an LCD like my Moto G) and I guess I just grab my phone in my pocket different than you do.

And because of said difference I find the Nexus way of doing it honestly super-awkward, like I have to reorient my hand after it's out of my pocket. My fingers don't really naturally go there.

You're thinking of some always-on thing maybe? Ambient Display shouldn't be lighting the screen up at all until it has something to ... well, display. You should be able to turn off notification breathing/pulsing separately, but I don't know if a stock Moto G can manage that.

Unless you have parachute pants or a traveller's purse you'll have to reorient your phone anyway. If you think about how your hand is arranged at rest, it naturally fits with a phone lying on one edge (left edge for righties and vice versa), maybe with the top edge tipped a little down. You probably already shift your phone in your hand, only a little bit and sub/unconsciously, but that little bit matters. I'll give you that top-down is less wrong than base-down, though.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 2, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

The N6 camera is crap.

The Nexus 6 camera is excellent, I took it as my main camera on a vacation last year and it performed incredibly, do you want some samples or something? Just because some other options are better doesn't make the N6 crap.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Touchwiz owns and will be remembered fondly by 00s kids in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Is the system partition on the S7 roughly the same as previous versions? E.g. around 6GB?