Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saints Row 3 was the high point. :colbert:

The thing dragging SR2 down is that it's nearly completely broken on PCs without a lot of mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I read that on Windows 8 or 10 it works fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saints Row 3 and 4 are testament to Volition's amazing ability to put mostly finished games together in a way that they hold up surprisingly well. If they ever get proper development time for one of those again it's gonna be amazing.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

My Lovely Horse posted:

Saints Row 3 and 4 are testament to Volition's amazing ability to put mostly finished games together in a way that they hold up surprisingly well. If they ever get proper development time for one of those again it's gonna be amazing.

For what it's worth, they're developing modding tools for SR4 as we speak. Also, IdolNinja (responsible for Gentlemen of the Row and owner of the biggest SR modding website) was hired by Volition.

https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/

Biggest things to note are the Modding Patch Beta subforum (the beta's a closed beta, and there are no invites, so don't ask) and the fact that IN himself is tagged as a Volition staff member on the site.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Krinkle posted:

I played it a little, my family all got sick and died, I saw this guy with a self drawn passport, I lost. I lost early.
People who describe the second week sound like they're loving with me. Their descriptions of week 2 no longer sound like the same game to where I have to ask several times if they are sure we're talking about the passport stamping simulator game.

I guess I'd watch a let's play who beats the game but I don't want to get better at this either.

It's not too hard a game. Just do the bare minimum required of you for every phase. Don't bother checking discrepancies and interrogating people unless they explicitly tell you to. Either they fit the requirements or they don't. Pass or fail.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kit Walker posted:

It's not too hard a game. Just do the bare minimum required of you for every phase. Don't bother checking discrepancies and interrogating people unless they explicitly tell you to. Either they fit the requirements or they don't. Pass or fail.

Also don't be afraid to skimp on heat and food if family is healthy. It sucks but it's meant to be part of the oppressive mood of the game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I find Papers Please to be difficult if you have a heart and are trying to be nice to the people that come to your booth. You start building up demerits that lead to losing money. If you are a cold, uncaring cog in the machine then you should be able to make enough money each day to keep your family healthy and warm.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Max posted:

I find Papers Please to be difficult if you have a heart and are trying to be nice to the people that come to your booth. You start building up demerits that lead to losing money. If you are a cold, uncaring cog in the machine then you should be able to make enough money each day to keep your family healthy and warm.

That's the point?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Max posted:

Art imitates life.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Max posted:

lol

Hey. I'm having a bit of a problem. I keep playing call of duty, and they want me to shoot people!

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

I mean to be fair, we'd all like a happy ending to 1984 as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yes? I was responding to people finding it difficult.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's a boring frustrating slog but they do it on purpose, is your mind blown yet???? #justindiegamingthings

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Stardew Valley
if you're full on your inventory and you're trying to sort it, the game will automatically fill the empty slot with the nearest drop, so now you've gotta let go of something. i don't think you can just drop an item on the ground anywhere, you have to commit to what you're keeping and what's going in the trash.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RBA Starblade posted:

Saints Row 3 was the high point. :colbert:

High point is either SR2 or Gat Out of Hell, depending on your personal preference. SR3 was worth getting when it came out, but I would no longer recommend it at all. :colbert:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Hey. I'm having a bit of a problem. I keep playing call of duty, and they want me to shoot people!

Luckily for you Papers please has you covered.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Tiggum posted:

High point is either SR2 or Gat Out of Hell, depending on your personal preference. SR3 was worth getting when it came out, but I would no longer recommend it at all. :colbert:

For whatever reason, SR3 has seemingly lost modding support despite being on mostly the same engine as SR4 while SR2 still gets mod updates.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saints Row 2, like Assassin's Creed 2, is no longer playable with advancements made since it came out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Saints Row 2, like Assassin's Creed 2, is no longer playable with advancements made since it came out.
Not true, it actually runs fine on Windows 8 and 10 for some reason

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not like that, I mean the gameplay is way too clunky now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh right. Eh, it’s definitely tough to go back to after the smoother gameplay of 3 and 4, but it’s not that bad once you get used to it. Ugly as poo poo though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Dark Cloud 2, the button to sort your inventory and to re-order your inventory (like, change which category of items comes first/second/etc) is the same button. If things are unsorted, sometimes pressing this button will sort it, sometimes it'll do both, and it's really annoying when this happens.

Oh, also there are times when the game wants you to use a specific item - like a key for a chest, or the level-specific item to move onto the next area. For some dumb reason, probably because it was in the first game, you're forced to search your inventory for this one (and only one, no other items can be used in these situations) item to use it, instead of the game just auto-using it when you press square. It's so dumb.

Can't stop playing this game though. I am so retarded for upgrade systems like this.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Aphrodite posted:

I read that on Windows 8 or 10 it works fine.

For whatever reason my experience was the opposite, it ran just fine on my XP desktop and years later it was unplayable on a 10 laptop. I'm sure there are hardware differences that contributed to it but just a part of the mess that is SR2 on PC.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For rear end Creed 4 ( PC Disc) is it possible to copy your saves elsewhere so that this dreaded Uplay doesn't wipe them? I've never used the service before but I hear it's poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Morpheus posted:

In Dark Cloud 2, the button to sort your inventory and to re-order your inventory (like, change which category of items comes first/second/etc) is the same button. If things are unsorted, sometimes pressing this button will sort it, sometimes it'll do both, and it's really annoying when this happens.

Oh, also there are times when the game wants you to use a specific item - like a key for a chest, or the level-specific item to move onto the next area. For some dumb reason, probably because it was in the first game, you're forced to search your inventory for this one (and only one, no other items can be used in these situations) item to use it, instead of the game just auto-using it when you press square. It's so dumb.

Can't stop playing this game though. I am so retarded for upgrade systems like this.

I hate when the button-mapping puts similar, yet different, actions to one button.

Like the Uncharted series. I love them, but especially in the multiplayer, the fact that the "crouch/take cover" and "dive/slide" button is the same is insufferable.

The game seems absolutely prefect at doing the opposite of whatever action you intended.

Oh, you want to dive through a doorway to avoid gunfire? Nope, you're crouching right in front of it and getting killed.

Want to crouch behind that half-wall to avoid gunfire? Nope, you're diving out into the open and getting killed.

I think that in theory if you're running it should make you dive, and if motionless you should crouch, but it has wonky criteria for that.

"Oh, you let go of the run button because you, naturally, had to stop pressing it to hit the crouch/dive button? Yeah, that's enough reason to qualify you as standing still ,so crouch it is!"

"You didn't stand perfectly motionless for a full three seconds before wanting to crouch? I guess you want to dive, right?"

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Mar 1, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
One of the preorder bonuses for Disgaea PC was a copy of the game's soundtrack, but then a few days before release they announced that it turns out they didn't actually bother to make sure that they had the rights to actually release a soundtrack so, uh, have some remixes I guess? :effort:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

I was eventually so underwhelmed by SR4 that it made me want go back and replay 3. And to be fair, while 3 was a clusterfuck thanks to THQ, it did have its high points.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I really like SR4 but Prototype and inFAMOUS did the open-world superhero gameplay so much better.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For rear end Creed 4 ( PC Disc) is it possible to copy your saves elsewhere so that this dreaded Uplay doesn't wipe them? I've never used the service before but I hear it's poo poo.

I imagine gamesavemanager could cope with that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

razorrozar posted:

I really like SR4 but Prototype and inFAMOUS did the open-world superhero gameplay so much better.

I happen to be playing through Prototype right now, and hoo boy is it a game of its era. Ultimately, it kind of has the opposite problem to SR4. Whereas Saints Row gives you godlike superpowers and then completely fails to escalate the challenge to compensate, Prototype gives you godlike superpowers and then does everything it can to render them meaningless.

Infamous had a few rough edges, but I definitely liked it the best out of the three. Wish I had a PS3 around to replay it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thing that dragged down SR3 (and to lesser degree, 4) is that my first foray into the series was 3. All the pathos about Gat (his death, his return) didn't work for me, because it's just some dude. Same reason why I never played Gat Out of Hell.

I never said it was fair, but it dragged the game down a bit, regardless.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MisterBibs posted:

The thing that dragged down SR3 (and to lesser degree, 4) is that my first foray into the series was 3. All the pathos about Gat (his death, his return) didn't work for me, because it's just some dude. Same reason why I never played Gat Out of Hell.

I never said it was fair, but it dragged the game down a bit, regardless.

3 was my first saints row game. The story definitely feels off when you don't know who all these people are and why Johnnys death is such a big deal.

If Volition decides to do more saints row, they should bring back the level of detail and character Stilwater had in 2 (the interior areas and distinct locales like the university) with the presentation of the later games. Also more fights between npcs like in 2 where pimps would have drivebys with cops.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I happen to be playing through Prototype right now, and hoo boy is it a game of its era. Ultimately, it kind of has the opposite problem to SR4. Whereas Saints Row gives you godlike superpowers and then completely fails to escalate the challenge to compensate, Prototype gives you godlike superpowers and then does everything it can to render them meaningless.

Infamous had a few rough edges, but I definitely liked it the best out of the three. Wish I had a PS3 around to replay it.
Prototype was really fun but god I hated Infamous. All the powers just felt like superpower-themed variants on cover shooter weapons and that's pretty much how you had to play most of it. I wanted more superpower fun and got a pretty bad third-person shooter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

This is exactly why I hate prototype so much. "Oh man this stealth section is so fun, I love being able to just eat the whole base!" next time I do a stealth section the whole base is covered with parasite detectors that alert everyone in two seconds and half the guys are huge dudes in armor I can't eat. Thanks, game! Then there's the fact that after the first few story missions every infected part of the city just swarms with the huge fuckoff monster dudes that are an absolute pain in the rear end to fight. It makes even exploring the open world just an obnoxious slog.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Prototype was really fun but god I hated Infamous. All the powers just felt like superpower-themed variants on cover shooter weapons and that's pretty much how you had to play most of it. I wanted more superpower fun and got a pretty bad third-person shooter.

I forgot I even played Infamous until you just reminded me why it was so forgettable. Prototype had some bullshit enemies but at least it was challenging. Plus it's probably the closest thing we'll get to a Hulk:Ultimate Destruction Sequel.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

3 was my first saints row game. The story definitely feels off when you don't know who all these people are and why Johnnys death is such a big deal.

If Volition decides to do more saints row, they should bring back the level of detail and character Stilwater had in 2 (the interior areas and distinct locales like the university) with the presentation of the later games. Also more fights between npcs like in 2 where pimps would have drivebys with cops.

They should just bolt 3's gameplay on to 2 and call it a remaster.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Prototype had a pretty good balance of being challenging while letting you be overpowered. Some of the story missions were quite difficult but whenever you were just running around doing your own thing you were pretty much unstoppable. It's really funny standing between like 10 soldiers firing machine guns at you as your hp ticks down slowly. Then you turn into tentacles and everyone dies

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

This is exactly why I hate prototype so much. "Oh man this stealth section is so fun, I love being able to just eat the whole base!" next time I do a stealth section the whole base is covered with parasite detectors that alert everyone in two seconds and half the guys are huge dudes in armor I can't eat. Thanks, game! Then there's the fact that after the first few story missions every infected part of the city just swarms with the huge fuckoff monster dudes that are an absolute pain in the rear end to fight. It makes even exploring the open world just an obnoxious slog.

I haven't had much of a problem avoiding threats in the open world. The hunters only show up in specific spots, and the military AI is pretty much busted to the point where it's borderline impossible to piss them off unless you're actively antagonizing them.

Kit Walker posted:

Prototype had a pretty good balance of being challenging while letting you be overpowered. Some of the story missions were quite difficult but whenever you were just running around doing your own thing you were pretty much unstoppable. It's really funny standing between like 10 soldiers firing machine guns at you as your hp ticks down slowly. Then you turn into tentacles and everyone dies

I'm not sure I'd call it balance when the game bounces between complete fodder enemies that all die in one hit and can barely scratch you and big hulking sacks of health that relentlessly hound you and stunlock you out of being able to do anything fun until you die. Eventually the current sack of health becomes trivialized by a power or upgrade, so they introduce a new one.

It's honestly a bit puzzling because they put a silly number of moves into the game, but the game lacks any kind of proper mid-tier threat to use most of them on.

VVV They're all capable of stunlocking you into oblivion. Don't forget the guy with the grenade launcher, either! VVV

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Mar 2, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Prototype: the game where the biggest threat to a city-destroying monster man isn't tanks or huge mutant monsters but a random mook with a rocket launcher who can stunlock you into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Prototype was the best The Thing game.