Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm on unlimited data including tethering for 20€ a month and it's totally unsustainable and only a matter of time before 3 Ireland cop on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Froist posted:

As a UK-er it boggles the mind how much people in the US get shafted on carrier bills. We've past the glory days now (and 3 are now actively booting people off their grandfathered-in packages), but a few years ago we could get unlimited data including tethering for 15 quid a month.

Quids are impossible to find over here anyway.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Anyone know where my wifi signal bars went? Not jailbroken or anything. Feel like it might have something to do with the carrier update I received a few days ago.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you have Wi-Fi assist on?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do you have Wi-Fi assist on?

Sure, but I'm right next to my router and it's never done this before, even on the fringes.

I've rebooted and flipped every setting I can think of.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I have some photos I've taken and edited on my iPhone, but when I try to transfer them to my computer, I get the original image and a file that I assume tracks the edits I've made, so that I can always revert back to the original photo if I decide. Is there any way to get an image file of my edited version?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Try emailing it to yourself instead?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah if I want something off my phone quickly, I just iMessage it to myself and save. Useful for quick grabs, don't know if it preserves all the quality (don't tend to use my iPhone for anything important).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I wasn't even aware iOS had non-destructive editing, I mean these aren't RAWs in a big fancy Adobe application they're just literal JPEGs. What application are you using that does non-destructive editing to iPhone camera JPEGs? Whenever I grab a photo off my camera roll, it's literally the latest one, I'd need to dig up a backup to find an older one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pivo posted:

I wasn't even aware iOS had non-destructive editing, I mean these aren't RAWs in a big fancy Adobe application they're just literal JPEGs. What application are you using that does non-destructive editing to iPhone camera JPEGs? Whenever I grab a photo off my camera roll, it's literally the latest one, I'd need to dig up a backup to find an older one.

He never said it was non-destructive editing? Even the default camera app lets you revert changes after editing. He's probably talking simple crap like rotation, crop, and color fixing, which thousands of apps can do.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just iMessage it to myself and save. Useful for quick grabs, don't know if it preserves all the quality (don't tend to use my iPhone for anything important).

it doesn't , it compresses them a good bit

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it doesn't , it compresses them a good bit

Saves me having to do that then, ha! If I'm taking something on a phone, it's going to be for sticking on Facebook or something like that anyway, and if you're putting the image on here you have to remember to down res the crap out of it before being shouted at.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Saves me having to do that then, ha! If I'm taking something on a phone, it's going to be for sticking on Facebook or something like that anyway, and if you're putting the image on here you have to remember to down res the crap out of it before being shouted at.

That's what [timg] is for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The images still load in full res though yeah? Where's my "56k No!" tags... but my point is that 99% of the time if I've taken a photo on my phone, I don't need in in full res/quality, and the iMessage method gets it onto the computer quick and easily.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

if you have CC Lightroom will automatically sync your camera roll to CC, also iCloud will sync your camera roll too if you let it, you can also use AirDrop if you're near your laptop

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So new Apple event March 21st or so. Are rumors in full stupid mode yet?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

This is the iPhone thread yeah?

In the Mac Hardware thread people were saying that Apple discounting Macbooks means they're going to drop new Macbooks soon, I tend to agree with that assessment that's usually how it goes. iPhone event is usually in the fall. But hey anything can happen.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Boris Galerkin posted:

We already know the event is about a new iPhone with the same size/shape of the 5s, but with some upgraded internals, and a smaller version of the iPad Pro which is basically just an Air 3 but with Pro branding.

The new iPhone isn't the 7 or anything, it's a new low-end budget option that isn't going to be as good as the 6s or probably even the 6, which is why they aren't waiting until the Fall.

They might also throw in some new MacBooks as an afterthought. Wouldn't be surprising.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 29, 2016

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Michael Scott posted:

He never said it was non-destructive editing? Even the default camera app lets you revert changes after editing. He's probably talking simple crap like rotation, crop, and color fixing, which thousands of apps can do.

Yeah, just the stock camera/photo apps and rotation/crop/filter edits. I'll try emailing them to myself and see how that goes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Get hyped for some new expensive Apple Watch bands.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Anyone know how to fix this poo poo? Without individually going through and deleting it all or using my laptop. It seems to have happened with music I had on my laptop but put on phone thats also on Apple Music. Like can I just click something to fix this l

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Turning on iCloud Music Library fixed that issue for me, YMMV, however.

For clarity, iCloud Music Library somehow got turned off on my phone and I was seeing the duplicates like that. Turning it on made it right again.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Klungar posted:

I have some photos I've taken and edited on my iPhone, but when I try to transfer them to my computer, I get the original image and a file that I assume tracks the edits I've made, so that I can always revert back to the original photo if I decide. Is there any way to get an image file of my edited version?

This might be something that photo stream actually does acceptably, but I'm not sure if it propogates the edits out too.

iCloud Photo Library definitely works like this though - both the original and the edits are in the cloud.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bass Bottles posted:

We already know the event is about a new iPhone with the same size/shape of the 5s, but with some upgraded internals, and a smaller version of the iPad Pro which is basically just an Air 3 but with Pro branding.

The new iPhone isn't the 7 or anything, it's a new low-end budget option that isn't going to be as good as the 6s or probably even the 6, which is why they aren't waiting until the Fall.

They might also throw in some new MacBooks as an afterthought. Wouldn't be surprising.

im trading in my 6 for a 5se on day one

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

decypher posted:

For clarity, iCloud Music Library somehow got turned off on my phone and I was seeing the duplicates like that. Turning it on made it right again.
Doesn't that cost a monthly subscription though? There's gotta be a better way to hide non-existent duplicates than to pay a subscription fee to a service some users don't need.

I've got the same problem with my favourite album and I have no idea how to fix it. I've just kinda stopped listening to the album rather than taking my phone out between every song to skip the greyed duplicate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Doesn't that cost a monthly subscription though? There's gotta be a better way to hide non-existent duplicates than to pay a subscription fee to a service some users don't need.

His phone is already on Apple music

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My mistake, for some reason I read Apple Music as in the iTunes Store. Either way, I have the same problem for albums bought through the iTunes store, though come to think of it, all the duplicates songs and playlist fuckery happened when I tried that 3-month Apple Music trial.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have an iPhone 6 with no service that I leave by the bed as a push-email-alert device. I use iCloud for push email, but I've found that it doesn't stay connected to wifi when it goes to sleep, so it's basically useless at alerting me into the wee hours of the night.

I've tried airplane mode and not airplane mode, and install some stupid free VPN that puts the VPN icon in the status bar and is supposed to keep wi-fi alive but neither worked.

Am I missing something here, or is this not possible?

FWIW, I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) with no service that this works perfectly with, but would like my newer iPhone 6 to do it.

Thanks!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The playlist fuckery probably comes from the fact that the Apple Music trial seems to sometimes automatically turn on iCloud music. You can try resetting your iCloud Music Library if you're no longer using it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

dexter6 posted:

I have an iPhone 6 with no service that I leave by the bed as a push-email-alert device. I use iCloud for push email, but I've found that it doesn't stay connected to wifi when it goes to sleep, so it's basically useless at alerting me into the wee hours of the night.

I've tried airplane mode and not airplane mode, and install some stupid free VPN that puts the VPN icon in the status bar and is supposed to keep wi-fi alive but neither worked.

Am I missing something here, or is this not possible?

FWIW, I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon) with no service that this works perfectly with, but would like my newer iPhone 6 to do it.

Thanks!

What's with your weird phone situation? It is a work device?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

What's with your weird phone situation? It is a work device?
My daily driver is an iPhone 6S. But, I don't like having electronics in my bedroom for sleep quality reasons. But, certain nights I do need to be alerted if I get an email to my iCloud account, so I had hoped to use my iPhone 6 as that alerting device.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

decypher posted:

💃🏼💃🏼 thanks!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

dexter6 posted:

My daily driver is an iPhone 6S. But, I don't like having electronics in my bedroom for sleep quality reasons. But, certain nights I do need to be alerted if I get an email to my iCloud account, so I had hoped to use my iPhone 6 as that alerting device.

On call network admin? This seems like it would be as easy as 10 seconds of selective-silent-notification configuration on your daily driver each day the specific config is needed and you could have sold the 6.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

On call network admin? This seems like it would be as easy as 10 seconds of selective-silent-notification configuration on your daily driver each day the specific config is needed and you could have sold the 6.
Isn't DND just for phone calls? I don't want my phone buzzing or lighting up for SMS, other emails, push notifications, etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Isn't DND just for phone calls? I don't want my phone buzzing or lighting up for SMS, other emails, push notifications, etc.

DND mutes everything.

Edit: You can have exceptions for you DND though if one of your favorites calls. I wish that DND would let a text alert for a favorite through as well.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

DND mutes everything.

Edit: You can have exceptions for you DND though if one of your favorites calls. I wish that DND would let a text alert for a favorite through as well.
I'm alerted via email to my iCloud account. I need only particular emails to come through. I could route them to SMS if that was an option, but seems like DND doesn't allow either through.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Heads up for anyone looking for a cable, Amazon UK are selling the Anker cables for £7.99

I just picked one up because my SO keeps losing/breaking her cables and "borrowing" mine. Seems like a steal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't that their normal price through Amazon? I bought the 2x 3ft pack at Christmas for £9.99. Haven't used them much yet, but seem good and I like the packaging they come in.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

MarcusSA posted:

DND mutes everything.

I really, really wish this was a feature/option. I really like auto-DND, but really don't like the follow-up "why aren't you responding" texts from my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
OK so back to my original question...

How do I keep a sleeping iPhone connected to wifi?