Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I always liked the link but a buck fifty? To get from 10th and Commerce to the Dome? Suck me sideways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

So much for the Oregonian's whining, sniveling article. Looks like the mayoral debate is back on with more than two candidates. http://www.wweek.com/2016/02/29/willamette-week-street-roots-jefferson-smith-team-up-to-host-portland-mayoral-debate-tonight/

Now their whinefest is even funnier because it looks like everybody but the Oregonian is participating. It's worth it to read through the comments in the original Oregonian article and read Erik Lukens' temper tantrum.

quote:

Erik Lukens |
2 hours ago

@David_B @poodlem The debate is certainly not going on. It is being replaced with a campaign stunt.

quote:

Erik Lukens |
3 hours ago

@David_B Looks like Ted Wheeler is conceding our point: "Their eagerness to pull out suggests, rather, that they were looking for the slightest excuse to cancel their involvement in what had become a controversial event. That opportunity came in the form of our decision not to proceed with a live audience." Now, instead of a substantive debate, Portland will be treated to a campaign stunt.

quote:

Erik Lukens |
4 hours ago

@Guntotingliberal Yep, we canceled the debate ... by proposing to hold a safe and uninterrupted debate.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Actually I am more expecting the event to be flooded with libertarian Super Bernie Bros straight from Reddit / Amazon.
Ah yes, the libertarians who want higher tax rates on the wealthy, a financial transaction tax, free public college, single-payer healthcare, and paid family leave. Y'know, libertarians.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Cicero posted:

Ah yes, the libertarians who want higher tax rates on the wealthy, a financial transaction tax, free public college, single-payer healthcare, and paid family leave. Y'know, libertarians.

There is a subset of Sanders supporters who don't exactly represent a coherent political worldview. This subset is large and loud on the internet, and especially makes the intersection of the tech sector and Sanders supporters look dumb. Lots of these people were also on the Ron Paul hype train somehow. 'Outsider candidate' status and etc.

Look, I like Bernie's platform more than any other candidate's platform (I mean, if we're picturing a world where a presidential candidate's platform actually became law), and would have voted for him in the caucus if I wasn't going to be working that Saturday.

But I really mostly care about the general election and who's gonna pick the next three or four supreme court justices, because that's the biggest actual difference a president is going to make. I'm kind of sick of this primary already, and preemptively sad about all the sandersistas who have decided to be so disgusted by Clinton's candidacy that if she wins they'll just feel disenchanted and stay home in November.

Which is all to say that even though I'm technically in the bernie brigade, I'm in line with those rolling their eyes at the bernie brigade.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 1, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

SedanChair posted:

I always liked the link but a buck fifty? To get from 10th and Commerce to the Dome? Suck me sideways

On the other hand Tacoma BIA was paying just $30k/yr to 100% subsidize fares on a rail line with ~74k riders/mo--one can see how in the boardroom of ST that starts to seem untenable.

Though just as a reminder we are talking here about the city that built a $57mil convention center without checking that there'd be enough hotel rooms in town to accommodate its full capacity.

(Also, for the interested, in looking up those figures I found that the largest cargo ship to visit US waters is currently in our port :toot:...?)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

Most of them are in there for the free college.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I really want a pet goat. Like I'm going out of my way to buy a place able to stable a pair of goats.

My mom (who keeps chickens and an extensive garden and stuff, lives in a small town, and works only half time) tried keeping a couple goats to keep ivy and brush down, and she gave up after a year, because they're too much work. And that's for someone working half-time. They can't be left alone if you go out of town, even moreso than dogs. And even when you're having them eat foliage they go through feed super fast.

They're super cool animals, fun and useful to have around, but long term they're just not worth it unless you're on an actual farm.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Man, I had tickets to the debate but I had no idea about the controversy or the time change. I just assumed they thought BLM was going to disrupt, which in retrospect was dumb on my part. Now I am drinking at a bar and taking a bus is much less attractive.

I can't believe how right wing/establishment the Oregonian is - their opinion pieces and recent reporting and now this is astonishingly biased.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Hillary will have it wrapped up by Washington's caucus so does it really matter?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Cool Goon huddles
Thats not a thing.

Drunk Tomato posted:

libertarian Super Bernie Bros
Thats not a thing either.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FRINGE posted:

Thats not a thing.

Yet.

edit: come find me, i'll be the guy holding the "DO YOU HAVE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE" sign

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Man my area was heavily against Sawant so I get the feeling we will be in full swing Hillary. But if anyone wants to bullshit: Olympic Hills Elementary is my caucus location! I am completely not afraid of people from the internet for some odd reason. Just too lazy to show up for the Seattle goon meets.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Thats not a thing.

Uhhh... :gooncamp:

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Mrit posted:

Hillary will have it wrapped up by Washington's caucus so does it really matter?

No way, No how, No hillary!

I heard Washington state is the #1 source of donations to Bernie.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

reading posted:

Is that why his campaign is emailing me every hour?
I don't mind donating to his campaign, but dammit, every time I do I get another increase in the frequency with which I receive update emails.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

reading posted:

I don't make the bad news, I just deliver it. Unless Super Tuesday is radically off from what is projected, Bernie will be too far behind to catch up by tomorrow night.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HookedOnChthonics posted:

(Also, for the interested, in looking up those figures I found that the largest cargo ship to visit US waters is currently in our port :toot:...?)

It was tied up at terminal 18. At one point I saw four news helicopters. Notice all the blue containers. The put all the CMA CGM cans on one side to make the picture better for CMA CGM. For a sense of scale, those are 40' containers. Vessel down the pier next to it was the ZIM Rotterdam. Across the way at T-46 was the Cosco Kaohsiung (not in photo, pretty big itself). At the old Matson terminal next to T-30 was the Lurline (not in photo)

Edit: Way to go Janet Tu. You were not at Terminal 18. The ship was at terminal 18. You were at terminal 30.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 1, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is that why his campaign is emailing me every hour?
I don't mind donating to his campaign, but dammit, every time I do I get another increase in the frequency with which I receive update emails.
Actblue is extremely and notoriously bad at this, but they get results.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mrit posted:

I don't make the bad news, I just deliver it. Unless Super Tuesday is radically off from what is projected, Bernie will be too far behind to catch up by tomorrow night.
Hes in this for a while unless something terrible happens. Just picked up a mountain of money and several big-name delegates.

(Thats not common after something like the media circus pretending Republican SC mattered.)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Ditocoaf posted:

There is a subset of Sanders supporters who don't exactly represent a coherent political worldview. This subset is large and loud on the internet, and especially makes the intersection of the tech sector and Sanders supporters look dumb. Lots of these people were also on the Ron Paul hype train somehow. 'Outsider candidate' status and etc.

Look, I like Bernie's platform more than any other candidate's platform (I mean, if we're picturing a world where a presidential candidate's platform actually became law), and would have voted for him in the caucus if I wasn't going to be working that Saturday.

But I really mostly care about the general election and who's gonna pick the next three or four supreme court justices, because that's the biggest actual difference a president is going to make. I'm kind of sick of this primary already, and preemptively sad about all the sandersistas who have decided to be so disgusted by Clinton's candidacy that if she wins they'll just feel disenchanted and stay home in November.

Which is all to say that even though I'm technically in the bernie brigade, I'm in line with those rolling their eyes at the bernie brigade.

This is exactly how I feel.

Demonizing an inter-party rival to the extent that some Bernie supporters are doing doesn't sit well with me at all.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is exactly how I feel.

Demonizing an inter-party rival to the extent that some Bernie supporters are doing doesn't sit well with me at all.

I keep hearing this, but I'm having trouble finding any Bernie bros, is there like some place people frequent that I'm not seeing that exemplifies this point?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

I keep hearing this, but I'm having trouble finding any Bernie bros, is there like some place people frequent that I'm not seeing that exemplifies this point?

Locally? Not really. Sanders people like to put on the illusion on Reddit and Facebook that he is inevitable and the Hillary is evil (and is winning because she is evil!), and saturate political feeds as much as possible.

A guy who's platform is essentially "I will break up the banks!" (lol) is still really attractive to Ron Paul types who like the premise but don't analyze the reality.

Very little of the negativity comes directly from the Sanders campaign, though. The only real issues I have with him as a candidate are the viability of his "plans" and the distinct Walter Mondale vibe I get from him. For more about that, see the 1984 election. We've tried the transcendent left wing candidates before (Carter and Mondale), it resulted in thirty years of darkness.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ElCondemn posted:

I run into them in the Seattle for Bernie facebook page quite a bit.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Locally? Not really. Sanders people like to put on the illusion on Reddit and Facebook that he is inevitable and the Hillary is evil (and is winning because she is evil!), and saturate political feeds as much as possible.

A guy who's platform is essentially "I will break up the banks!" (lol) is still really attractive to Ron Paul types who like the premise but don't analyze the reality.

Very little of the negativity comes directly from the Sanders campaign, though. The only real issues I have with him as a candidate are the viability of his "plans" and the distinct Walter Mondale vibe I get from him. For more about that, see the 1984 election. We've tried the transcendent left wing candidates before (Carter and Mondale), it resulted in thirty years of darkness.

Ok, that makes sense, I guess I don't frequent reddit or facebook groups that are filled with hateful people. If anything I see friends like an article and the comments are all about how Bernie sucks and Hillary is a oval office and Obama should be impeached. I'm not really seeing any real in-fighting, other than the infrequent article or two pointing out how Hilary has changed her mind over the years.

Tigntink posted:

I run into them in the Seattle for Bernie facebook page quite a bit.

I'll have to check that out, I keep hearing about it but don't see it, so I'm clearly missing it. Either that or someone is making it up and is really effective at convincing people they exist.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ElCondemn posted:

Ok, that makes sense, I guess I don't frequent reddit or facebook groups that are filled with hateful people. If anything I see friends like an article and the comments are all about how Bernie sucks and Hillary is a oval office and Obama should be impeached. I'm not really seeing any real in-fighting, other than the infrequent article or two pointing out how Hilary has changed her mind over the years.

I'll have to check that out, I keep hearing about it but don't see it, so I'm clearly missing it. Either that or someone is making it up and is really effective at convincing people they exist.

The really nasty ones end up getting taken down. There was a poll on how supporters would react if Hillary got the nom. Turned into a 200+ reply shitfest. Some crazy dude trying to tell me I was wrong for being willing to vote for hillary and then when I explained my "I have a vagina and would like to keep my autonomy over it" he basically told me I didn't know how to use birth control and was just generally a moron. Just looked and the whole thing is gone.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tigntink posted:

The really nasty ones end up getting taken down. There was a poll on how supporters would react if Hillary got the nom. Turned into a 200+ reply shitfest. Some crazy dude trying to tell me I was wrong for being willing to vote for hillary and then when I explained my "I have a vagina and would like to keep my autonomy over it" he basically told me I didn't know how to use birth control and was just generally a moron. Just looked and the whole thing is gone.

I was just browsing through the comments and I see a lot of memes that are pretty graphic and terrible, while aimed at Hillary I see the same people posting anti-Bernie stuff. I'm sure there are Bernie supporters that are crazy, but I don't see a huge amount of them, you'd think they were everywhere with the amount I've heard about them. Most of the ones I saw saying they wouldn't vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination were saying things along the lines of "I won't vote for a liar" or whatever, which I'm not sure if that makes them Bernie bro's.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

I keep hearing this, but I'm having trouble finding any Bernie bros
It was a campaign test by the clinton game. It didnt stick except for her die hard followers.

Kind of like "Bernie is sexist" failed, and "Bernie is racist" failed.

Usual clinton campaign.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

FRINGE posted:

It was a campaign test by the clinton game. It didnt stick except for her die hard followers.

Kind of like "Bernie is sexist" failed, and "Bernie is racist" failed.

Usual clinton campaign.

Except I am a hardcore Bernie supporter / volunteer and i've experienced that poo poo. I've met people who have said that they would vote for trump rather than vote for hillary. Now I personally think those people are just going to stay home on voting day but it's been happening for a while now and it had nothing to do with the Clinton campaign. I've had these guys totally discount my opinions 100% based on horribly sexist reasons.

(this isn't to say that there is anything wrong or bad about anything involving Bernie - everyone has some shithead followers. poo poo, look at some of the people who spew poo poo on the Hillary side. hillaryis44.com? )

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 1, 2016

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I'm a Bernie supporter who plans to vote for Jill Stein in the general if he loses the primary. Does that make me a bad person for 'throwing my vote away'?

edit: vvv that's fair.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 2, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lacrosse posted:

I'm a Bernie supporter who plans to vote for Jill Stein in the general if he loses the primary. Does that make me a bad person for 'throwing my vote away'?

No, it makes you a bad person for supporting a party that's anti-GMO.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

computer parts posted:

No, it makes you a bad person for supporting a party that's anti-GMO.

This.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only moral single issue is my single issue.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Lacrosse posted:

Literally why? In what ways do you think Hillary would be actively Bad rather than just not as Good as you would prefer?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Lacrosse posted:

In the PNW, eh, I don't see Washington or Oregon going red, so whatever. But really as another Bernie supporter, Clinton is not the answer, but between liberals and fascists especially with a serious chance to redefine the Supreme Court and not immediately burn down the federal government in privatization, I'm going to suck it up and vote for Clinton just like I did for Kerry.

Leftists aren't going to break the logjam of Third Way Democrats without becoming more involved in local politics, even as one who has done it in the past, your protest vote doesn't mean poo poo. But neither does my pragmatic one, so dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Lacrosse posted:

You drat well better vote for Democrats down ticket. That realistically matters more for us than anything anyone does on the presidential.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Lacrosse posted:

Anyone considering a vote for Jill Stein is a bad person. "GMO BAD PUTIN GOOD"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Literally why? In what ways do you think Hillary would be actively Bad rather than just not as Good as you would prefer?

Macroeconomic trends have me convinced we'll be an oligarch dominated shithole within my lifetime. Neither the Democratic nor Republican establishment are willing to disrupt those trends so on this basis, Clinton's bad as opposed to less good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Accretionist posted:

Macroeconomic trends have me convinced we'll be an oligarch dominated shithole within my lifetime. Neither the Democratic nor Republican establishment are willing to disrupt those trends so on this basis, Clinton's bad as opposed to less good.

Sure, but on the flip side, I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't do whatever it took to prevent Trump from being president.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Accretionist posted:

So I guess my follow-up question would be to ask what you anticipate a Sanders presidency would achieve in terms of combating this...? Given the assumption that Sanders has a clear-eyed view of the oligarch threat and Clinton does not, and also given that either has to deal with an obstructionist congress and the general massive inertia inherent to our system of government, what do you think he could effect in terms of meaningful difference over Clinton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

No candidate elected is going to disrupt the economic shittiness. (Electing Sanders would send a big cool message, but that's pretty pie-in-the-sky, and it's hard to foresee what results/repercussions it might really have.)

On the other hand, the Supreme Court has a huge impact The Current State Of Things in a wide variety of ways, and the difference between who will enter the supreme court under Clinton and under Trump/Cruz/Rubio/Kasich/whoever will be very, very significant. The next president might choose three supreme court justices, and based on that alone this could be the most important presidential election of any of our lives.

I'm plenty cynical on the similarities between establishment democrats and establishment republicans. But the areas where they do differ are still very important, this year especially.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 2, 2016

• Locked thread