Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

crunk dork posted:

Nah, I opened an issue and am waiting to hear back on whether they will award me a pass (doubtful) or at least give me a free voucher (possible)

No he meant did your friend pass that brain dumped the test? Even if the brain dump covers the old test, if it makes the test passable maybe at this point you can just get your degree and move on from Cisco's bullshit. You clearly know the material and are being held back by exam errors, which shouldn't stop your professional growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
No he still failed. I'm guessing the sim is worth 70-100 points, and if you only get the half that is able to be done correct that leaves you with 4-5 questions you can miss out of 64 others. Bad odds especially when you take the poor grammar on some questions into account.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well my plan was to use the CCNP security exams to refresh my CCNP RS, but at this point I might as well just take the damned CCIE written rather than waste more time and money on a broken exam.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

Well my plan was to use the CCNP security exams to refresh my CCNP RS, but at this point I might as well just take the damned CCIE written rather than waste more time and money on a broken exam.

Wait are the CCNP security exams hosed too?

I saw some people on the Cisco learning forums talking about skipping the CCNA Security and shooting for CCNP to get around the bugginess. A lot of the material seems out of scope for an associate level exam too.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

DirtyFalcon posted:

Anyone here have OSCP course/certification experience?

I'm actually taking the OSCP course right now. I haven't done the cert attempt but I can answer any questions you might have about the lab/class.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Can anyone tell me about SOC reports. Mostly:

-How intense are these audits?
-How long do they take to be finalized.
-How much do they normally cost (hundreds?, thousands?)
-Is there a simplified “checklist” available that I can use to make sure we would pass before requesting an audit?

Sorry if this isn't the right thread! I hope it is though!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Wait are the CCNP security exams hosed too?

I saw some people on the Cisco learning forums talking about skipping the CCNA Security and shooting for CCNP to get around the bugginess. A lot of the material seems out of scope for an associate level exam too.

Taking a CCNP security exam requires that you already have a current CCNA security certification. The only time they'll let you go straight for it is if you already have a CCIE.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So... gently caress everyone who wants CCNA Security and up. Neat. That was my next planned cert after CCNA R&S in a month or so. Wonder what I'll pick instead.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I really, really hope by the time the CCNA Security comes up in my WGU track it's fixed. I have to imagine they'll release a fix within three months (since nobody is passing it), and I shouldn't have to do it until late this year, but I'm a little worried Cisco will permanently gently caress this up and say it's good as it is and exam takers need to get better.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I really, really hope by the time the CCNA Security comes up in my WGU track it's fixed. I have to imagine they'll release a fix within three months (since nobody is passing it), and I shouldn't have to do it until late this year, but I'm a little worried Cisco will permanently gently caress this up and say it's good as it is and exam takers need to get better.

"It's working as intended. We would like our users to automatically get points deducted so they can truly prove their skill"

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I heard back from Cisco today and they are reviewing my claims and will let me know within 7-10 days if I qualify for a free voucher. I'm going to wear those fake glasses they use in cartoons to sleep in class and write the answers on the inside of them.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So... gently caress everyone who wants CCNA Security and up. Neat. That was my next planned cert after CCNA R&S in a month or so. Wonder what I'll pick instead.

If I weren't "locked down" by my degree I would've just shot from CCNA R&S to CCNP R&S. I can't say for sure but I'd assume having a single CCNP trumps having two CCNAs in a hiring manager's eyes.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
WGU Students -

I'm trying to estimate completion times for various courses to know how I need to budget my time (and how hard I need to bust my rear end to finish on my schedule). Courses like "Data Management Foundations" and "Data Management Applications" are pretty self-explanatory, foundations is learning and applications is doing. I imagine the applications side of things would take a week of serious work at 3 to 5 hours a day, but does the foundation side take longer? Can I expect 2 weeks as sufficient to read all the material and pass the final when I'm working on it 5 days a week?

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

WGU Students -

I'm trying to estimate completion times for various courses to know how I need to budget my time (and how hard I need to bust my rear end to finish on my schedule). Courses like "Data Management Foundations" and "Data Management Applications" are pretty self-explanatory, foundations is learning and applications is doing. I imagine the applications side of things would take a week of serious work at 3 to 5 hours a day, but does the foundation side take longer? Can I expect 2 weeks as sufficient to read all the material and pass the final when I'm working on it 5 days a week?

yes

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

If I weren't "locked down" by my degree I would've just shot from CCNA R&S to CCNP R&S. I can't say for sure but I'd assume having a single CCNP trumps having two CCNAs in a hiring manager's eyes.

Yes. Partly because the body of knowledge is so much greater and partly because they can meet vendor requirements or charge a higher rate from customers. Get any CCNP before you go for additional CCNAs, unless you have a legitimate reason like your degree or an employer.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 25, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

Yes. Partly because the body of knowledge is so much greater and partly because they can meet vendor requirements or charge a higher rate from customers. Get any CCNP before you go for additional CCNAs, unless you have a legitimate reason like your degree or an employer.

There's also an economical decision to make. Getting a second ccna is only $300 and can return pretty good results. Getting a ccnp is $900, takes much longer, but the return is way higher.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I got the old CCNA Security because it qualified as a DOD cert and I didn't want to take Sec+. I assume that still applies.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

crunk dork posted:

As someone who does technical interviews for my employer, yes. CCNA means you can probably tie your shoes and figure out easy subnet masks without assistance and would be someone I'd recommend to hire for a "paste the config someone else built" position. CCNP is where I usually expect to see people who I want actually touching routers for troubleshooting and building configs. Or a resume showing the experience even without the cert of course.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Doug posted:

I'm actually taking the OSCP course right now. I haven't done the cert attempt but I can answer any questions you might have about the lab/class.

I actually opted to do the eLearnSecurity PTP course as it has a more realistic timeline for me.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

DirtyFalcon posted:

I actually opted to do the eLearnSecurity PTP course as it has a more realistic timeline for me.

Nice, I've heard those are good. I was gifted a barebones PTE or foundations? I dunno, but I didn't want to pony up the $200 for the labs when I was already reg'd for OSCP.

In general tho, poo poo is hard.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Have enjoyed Boson NetSim (purchased the CCNA level) for the most part, but this sucks:

code:
Switch(config-if-range)#channel-group 10 mode auto

Unsupported Command. Command compatible with NetSim for CCNP.
Yeah this is bullshit, EtherChannel's in the CCNA objectives. Not a huge thing but, c'mon guys.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Have enjoyed Boson NetSim (purchased the CCNA level) for the most part, but this sucks:

code:
Switch(config-if-range)#channel-group 10 mode auto

Unsupported Command. Command compatible with NetSim for CCNP.
Yeah this is bullshit, EtherChannel's in the CCNA objectives. Not a huge thing but, c'mon guys.

Knowing what it is, yes, but configuring it, recognizing the configuration for it, or being familiar with any of the commands associated with it are not included in CCNA.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Knowing what it is, yes, but configuring it, recognizing the configuration for it, or being familiar with any of the commands associated with it are not included in CCNA.

So the CompTIA degree of knowledge (strictly for EtherChannel), huh. I see, good to know.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got my 1V0-601, so officially I'm a VMware Certified Associate. Whoopie. Anyways, the moral of the story is that when it's time to pick the exam you want to take, make sure it's the right code. I actually wanted the 2V0-620, which is the preliminary exam for the VCP6-DCV. Booked that and passed it, so no biggie.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I think I'm going to start in on the Cisco certifications, maybe do the CCENT to get a feel for it while I try to figure out what to do next. Would it make any sense at all to try finding classes at a college or something? I'm tired of self-study and would really like to get something hands-on and with a chance to meet people in the field.

So far I've just done the A+ and Net+. I was thinking of the Sec+ next just to have it, but the Cisco stuff is looking way more appealing. I already have a Bachelor's (in a mostly unrelated field of study), and am plugging away at a dull phone/email support type situation currently that is not getting me much practical experience and doesn't pay for any certs, but pays surprisingly well, so I figure I'll take advantage of that to self-fund some more learning while I figure out what I want to do specifically.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Wendell Odom's CCENT book is great and it comes with a CD full of extra goodies like labs and practice tests. Whether you decide to do self-study or take classes, get the book either way as it is the best IT textbook I have seen so far. It is well written and error-free. Can't go wrong with it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Community colleges tend to do the CCENT as a two-semester course that does ICND1 and ICND2 as part of a CCNA program. If you don't mind paying in-state tuition for two semesters, I'd recommend it if it has a lab class that gives you actual equipment to play with.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

HPL posted:

Wendell Odom's CCENT book is great and it comes with a CD full of extra goodies like labs and practice tests. Whether you decide to do self-study or take classes, get the book either way as it is the best IT textbook I have seen so far. It is well written and error-free. Can't go wrong with it.
Awesome, I'll grab that, thanks!

Yow, the tuition fees I wasn't expecting, it's been a while since I was in college. Looked at a couple places that seemed promising and it would be around $1k to do their Cisco courses. It's tempting though, I so badly want to get going on something useful and have hands on experience.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you do sign up for a course, don't forget that tuition most likely will include a voucher for an exam, so that's $200-$300 right there depending on the exam.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Passed my 210-260 and Cisco can suck my rear end and dick!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It is passable! Congrats on living through that ordeal.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Nice work!

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
If anyone else wants advice on how to pass email me at my username at gmail. It's a load of horse poo poo and I'm still waiting on Cisco to get back to me.

If I end up getting a voucher and it isn't tied to my candidate ID I'll sell it to someone in here at a discount.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
NDA violation, reported.

Seriously though, while I have a very strong interest in branching into network security, I think I'll go for CCNP R&S first after CCNA before I look at CCNA Security.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

crunk dork posted:

Passed my 210-260 and Cisco can suck my rear end and dick!

Congrats! :yotj: I hope Cisco has a good explanation for you.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm curious if the sim actually works you just have to use some jankyass command instead

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

SaltLick posted:

I'm curious if the sim actually works you just have to use some jankyass command instead

It's a simulated GUI. Check out the Cisco learning network forum for CCNA security to see other people having the exact same issues with it. Confirmed the same bugs with people in my WGU course as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
And I passed the 70-412! MCSA time!

But first, lemme take a selfie.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

It's a simulated GUI. Check out the Cisco learning network forum for CCNA security to see other people having the exact same issues with it. Confirmed the same bugs with people in my WGU course as well.

It pissed me off extra hard because it's easier and faster to do via the CLI, but obviously that isn't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

It pissed me off extra hard because it's easier and faster to do via the CLI, but obviously that isn't an option.

Studying for this seemed tacky the whole time because the emphasis was on ASDM and not making sure you know the CLI equivalent.. Makes me feel dirty.

Cisco got back to me last night wrt my open case with them and said everything works how it should and that I just needed to study more or something.. Punk motherfuckers