Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's what they told me. A big part of me hopes it was just a scheme to fire me without hurting my feelings and they 5498'd all those funds into another retirement account at another brokerage house or something. I doubt it, but in like 30 years I'm sure as poo poo gonna be checking the obituaries and real estate notifications for their house to see if I can buy it and find the modern equivalent to buried pirate treasure.

Great story Solice Kirsk. Their will is going to have to include a literal treasure map or their heirs are going to have to get an archaeological team in to find their inheritance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't there an easier way to find buried gold? I know it's not magnetic so a standard metal detector wouldn't work, but maybe sonar? Especially if they bought a lot, so it's probably in bar form.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
edit: nvm, forgot it was posted already

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 1, 2016

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't there an easier way to find buried gold? I know it's not magnetic so a standard metal detector wouldn't work, but maybe sonar? Especially if they bought a lot, so it's probably in bar form.

Sonar or metal detecting would work.
http://www.metaldetector.com/learn/buying-guide-articles/gold-prospecting/whats-the-best-gold-prospecting-metal-detector

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cicero posted:

Yelp fired another person who is both poor and stupid: https://medium.com/life-tips/yelp-fired-a-single-mother-today-me-fe9c87e71be9#.ej49jxrsm

Huh that sucks, I wonder if

Wait what? Why would you

:stare: :psyduck:

uh, too late, check the last page.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

r0ck0 posted:

uh, too late, check the last page.
Whoops.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Series DD Funding posted:

This is an America-centric forum, you wouldn't expect to hear much from elsewhere...

There's a lot of crazy that comes out of America but it's skewed due to large population and Florida. Unfortunately some of the crazy freeman on the land and conspiracy ideas are being exported from America to the rest of the world. It turns out that the internet really does make people stupid.

Some crazy nonsense came out about New Zealand's flag change and there was some crazy stuff about the flag change that you would expect from someone ranting about maritime law and gold fringed flags. There was even a recent prosecution by someone who hadn't paid taxes on his farm for 5 years claiming he paid tax to some other organisation.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

After last weeks Full Sail animation retard I did a search on /r/personalfinance and turned this classic up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2i1zea/finances_versus_passion/

quote:

I signed up for this because a friend told me this community would be honest. I am at a crossroads: I am halfway through my Master's degree for MFA 3D Modeling (a Midpoint Review scheduled to be in a month), but modeling is not where my heart is. I now know this. I draw more than model, and so I feel visual development and storytelling is where I want to direct myself. But at this point I have put myself in a very VERY deep hole.
My parents thought they made too much money for me to get federal aid for college, so I received my Bachelor's of Science in Media Arts & Animation from the Art Institute on mostly private loans. After I turned 24 I was able to receive federal aid. I tried making payments, but every time I did the principles went UP, not down, and thus I became depressed and stopped making payments. Instead, I went back to school hoping to earn my Master's degree, and prolong payments. I have an assortment of private loans ($36,439.15 @7.25%, $26,032.85 @10.25%, $29,214.42 @8.25%, $34,243.09 @8.25%, and $56,550.97 @10.25% totaling to $182,480.48) and federal (7 amounting to $86,165.90). I am $278,167.35 in debt to student loans as of today, and have been so stressed in building my skill as an artist I have lost the motivation and fun in it. I DO want to be a great artist, and I love the processes and learning it, but I feel school may not be the way to go. I am also planning to move states with my boyfriend in 8 months, as I do NOT want to be stuck in the city I am in.
I would feel a failure to drop out of school, especially halfway through when the next step is a thesis project on which I can choose, and if I decide to stay I am thinking of switching majors from 3D Modeling to Visual Development, where I believe I'll find the love of the process again. But continuing school is just prolonging a storm of payments, and I have become so stressed and depressed about the process of art I have lost a lot of my love for it. But if I drop out, the payments may be too much to carry right now, especially wanting to move states.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

280K in mostly private loans for art school to learn you don't like computer animation. Holy poo poo.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sepherothic posted:

280K in mostly private loans for art school to learn you don't like computer animation. Holy poo poo.

A lot of higher education is learning what you really don't like doing. $280k is a pretty drat expensive lesson to learn.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
She needs to move towns for sure...to Europe or somewhere else.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

cowofwar posted:

She needs to move towns for sure...to Europe or somewhere else.

As someone in that thread pointed out, good luck finding a first world (i.e. European) country that wants broke foreigners with no employable skills. Her only hope really is that her boyfriend somehow ends up rich and that he doesn't leave her along the way as the reality of what a financial anchor she is going to be sets in.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Nail Rat posted:

As someone in that thread pointed out, good luck finding a first world (i.e. European) country that wants broke foreigners with no employable skills. Her only hope really is that her boyfriend somehow ends up rich and that he doesn't leave her along the way as the reality of what a financial anchor she is going to be sets in.
If my significant other had $300k in non-dischargeable debt and no skills I would try to find some sort of way to be together but have no legal connection to them financially. So I guess not live together and definitely not get married.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There's something to be said for sports stars being bad with money. Probably not in massive debt but this guy tried to play contract mercenary and ended up missing out on $149m.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/77455887/us-baseball-player-ian-desmonds-contract-gamble-costs-him-149m

quote:

American baseballer Ian Desmond should be celebrating a NZ$12m one-year deal with the Texas Rangers.

In 2014, Desmond snubbed a seven-year NZ$161.21m deal to stay at the Washington Nationals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Devian666 posted:

There's something to be said for sports stars being bad with money. Probably not in massive debt but this guy tried to play contract mercenary and ended up missing out on $149m.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/77455887/us-baseball-player-ian-desmonds-contract-gamble-costs-him-149m

Well, not quite, because it was $12M for one year, and the $161M one was for seven, but still not a great move.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
At best he could have made $23m this year instead of $12, so best case he's down $11m in income this year. As you say not a great move.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Sepherothic posted:

After last weeks Full Sail animation retard I did a search on /r/personalfinance and turned this classic up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2i1zea/finances_versus_passion/

Those numbers only add up to 268k, but I guess whats 10k here and there once you reach a quarter mil in debt accruing 8% interest.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Sepherothic posted:

I don't even think she has comprehended how screwed she is with that private debt load. The gist of her post is angst about whether switching majors in her MA program (I didn't know you could even do that??) will allow her to rekindle her passion for Art. The debt component is just a sideshow.

With any luck she's very talented and can make a good career out of her skills. Then she might have a chance of paying that down with help from family or a partner. More likely she's perma screwed and will just try to ignore the payments indefinitely until something hits the wall. She might as well switch majors and just try to ride this wave for as long as she can.

Forget Europe--she could probably eek out some sort of living teaching in Latin America or elsewhere where the immigration laws aren't strongly enforced.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Devian666 posted:

At best he could have made $23m this year instead of $12, so best case he's down $11m in income this year. As you say not a great move.
Maybe he's a Sufficiently Frugal Athlete such that where he lives and what team he plays for has a larger effect on his life than another ~11m per year. Probably not but I can hope.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Thesaurus posted:

I don't even think she has comprehended how screwed she is with that private debt load. The gist of her post is angst about whether switching majors in her MA program (I didn't know you could even do that??) will allow her to rekindle her passion for Art. The debt component is just a sideshow.

With any luck she's very talented and can make a good career out of her skills. Then she might have a chance of paying that down with help from family or a partner. More likely she's perma screwed and will just try to ignore the payments indefinitely until something hits the wall. She might as well switch majors and just try to ride this wave for as long as she can.

Forget Europe--she could probably eek out some sort of living teaching in Latin America or elsewhere where the immigration laws aren't strongly enforced.

Talented artists don't go to The Art Institutes.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
TTC is plastered in advertising for for-profit bullshit colleges run by numbered corporations.

Really inspires confidence. I guess they collect tuition, declare bankruptcy and start a new numbered corporation and cycle repeats

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sepherothic posted:

My 4 year degree from Art Institute (3D Animation/Industrial Visualization) cost $52k, no grants or parent loans. How in the hell did she spend so much? The important schadenfreude is that I'm doing something completely different with my life, most of that money is down the drain.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
She's in her mid-20's and has probably never had a real job. So 6 years of loans for both tuition and living expenses. I doubt that's all college debt.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

Deadspin wrote about this yesterday as well with a little more depth. Worth a read: http://deadspin.com/ian-desmonds-cautionary-tale-keeps-getting-sadder-1761922513

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its strange that I feel bad for a multi-millionaire missing out on becoming an even bigger multi-millionaire, but here we are. The Rangers may have just scored the deal of a lifetime with him though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

They told me they had used all but a "small" amount of cash they kept in their house to buy gold and they buried it all over their property in caches.

So, they've got all this gold because they think society's going to collapse and money will be worthless. But if that happens, who's going to want to trade them useful products for gold? Why would anyone still want gold in that scenario?

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Series DD Funding posted:

This is an America-centric forum, you wouldn't expect to hear much from elsewhere...

I don't know, you just don't find a significant number of preppers in other civilized countries, not even in those where the economy actually is going down the drain (like Greece).
I'm willing to admit that my perception might be skewed, though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tiggum posted:

So, they've got all this gold because they think society's going to collapse and money will be worthless. But if that happens, who's going to want to trade them useful products for gold? Why would anyone still want gold in that scenario?

That's always been my question. Why not stockpile things like toilet paper and shampoo if you really think society will collapse?

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

CombatInformatiker posted:

I don't know, you just don't find a significant number of preppers in other civilized countries, not even in those where the economy actually is going down the drain (like Greece).
I'm willing to admit that my perception might be skewed, though.

I forget where it was but I remember reading an interview with a guy who survived the rioting during the economic crisis in Argentina in the early 2000s. He said there were some people who bugged out to the countryside and did the prepper thing, but they tended to fare worse than those who stayed in the cities - the government restored order after a few days or so and after that the gangs took to the hills as well and wrecked the preppers' poo poo.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Solice Kirsk posted:

Its strange that I feel bad for a multi-millionaire missing out on becoming an even bigger multi-millionaire, but here we are. The Rangers may have just scored the deal of a lifetime with him though.

In a battle between multimillionaire players and billionaire owners I'll take the multimillionaire.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

I forget where it was but I remember reading an interview with a guy who survived the rioting during the economic crisis in Argentina in the early 2000s. He said there were some people who bugged out to the countryside and did the prepper thing, but they tended to fare worse than those who stayed in the cities - the government restored order after a few days or so and after that the gangs took to the hills as well and wrecked the preppers' poo poo.
http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/

He's got a couple of good books out, and he's a lot more level headed than most prepper bloggers. He basically says that even when it gets bad you can still rely on good ol' capitalism, democracy, and the social ties you have with family and friends. It only gets REALLY bad when people start throwing those things out -- and in that case your best bet isn't to run for the hills, but to leave the country. He left when it became obvious Argentina was falling apart irrevocably.

Tigntink posted:

That's always been my question. Why not stockpile things like toilet paper and shampoo if you really think society will collapse?

Well, m'lady, in my foresight I have saved these silver quarters that people will value greatly after TEOTWAWKI. *removes fedora to reveal the (never used) leatherman hidden inside*

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I guess it depends on what sort of Obama apocalypse you choose. If it's rampant hyperinflation, then gold is your best option. If it's Obama riding on Joe Biden's back while screaming "Who runs Bartertown!" then your gold is going to lose value, but it'll still out perform paper money.

Everyone loves gold because it has stored value. Sure, a gold bar's worth of toilet paper might be more useful, but you'd need a warehouse to store it and keep it dry. Plus, if survivors decide it's easier to just use pine cones instead, your Quilted Northern won't get you much while bartering. But gold always has value and it's easy to hide.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Gold only has value because others believe that it has value, and it historically has had value to others for metallurgical and jewelry reasons that won't really be relevant in the Terrible Obacalypse.

Gold having intrinsic value is one of those things goldbugs say to others but mostly themselves. Gold won't buy you food when everyone is starving.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Gold only has value because others believe that it has value, and it historically has had value to others for metallurgical and jewelry reasons that won't really be relevant in the Terrible Obacalypse.

Gold having intrinsic value is one of those things goldbugs say to others but mostly themselves. Gold won't buy you food when everyone is starving.

The point is gold has value as long as anything resembling civilization still exists. It's also portable, doesn't rot, lose value as it ages, or require maintenance.

There's a part in the book 'The Road' where the Man finds some gold coins in a bunker and is all like, "meh". That's kind of the part where you realize the world is over. If gold is worthless then everyone is pretty well screwed anyway.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tigntink posted:

Liquor. Tons and tons of vodka and grain alcohol. That poo poo would be super valuable if the world collapsed. Disinfect things, get drunk to forget how horrible everything is, burn it for some sort of fuel. Alcohol is the way to go. And ammo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Socks and shoes are an overlooked part of a well-diversified end of the world portfolio.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Liquor. Tons and tons of vodka and grain alcohol. That poo poo would be super valuable if the world collapsed. Disinfect things, get drunk to forget how horrible everything is, burn it for some sort of fuel. Alcohol is the way to go. And ammo.

Distilling equipment and the knowledge of how to use/repair it then!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If we're to learn anything from Fallout, every tool chest needs some duct tape.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Krispy Kareem posted:

The point is gold has value as long as anything resembling civilization still exists. It's also portable, doesn't rot, lose value as it ages, or require maintenance.

The second sentence makes sense to me. The first one does not.

If "anything resembling civilization still exists", then why is gold any better than US dollars? In that hypothetical situation there is just as much reason to believe that gold would be devalued/impractical/confiscated by goons as a hypothetical where the neo-dollar obsoletes the dollar.

On the other hand if civilization truly falls then the dollar will be useless but I don't imagine gold would fare much better. I'd rather have water, food, medicine, guns, etc. Or do you figure that the cannibal raiders will give you fair market value for your gold in exchange for some food?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe we could pitch a gold commodity ETF to the roaming cannibal hordes? If anyone can see the value of an index following commodity investment it would be roaming cannibalistic hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Magic Underwear posted:

The second sentence makes sense to me. The first one does not.

If "anything resembling civilization still exists", then why is gold any better than US dollars? In that hypothetical situation there is just as much reason to believe that gold would be devalued/impractical/confiscated by goons as a hypothetical where the neo-dollar obsoletes the dollar.

On the other hand if civilization truly falls then the dollar will be useless but I don't imagine gold would fare much better. I'd rather have water, food, medicine, guns, etc. Or do you figure that the cannibal raiders will give you fair market value for your gold in exchange for some food?

I'm pretty far from a goldbug, but civilization doesn't necessarily mean national government (certainly not necessarily on the scale of the US). If there were towns and city-states that were functional but no national economy, gold would theoretically be more valuable than paper currency because there will be a few people who will like to have gold poo poo, whereas you can't really do anything practical with paper money without burning it.

That being said, gold would still not be worth very much. Just more than paper currency.

• Locked thread