Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

When do presidential candidates usually announce running mates? Only if they get the nomination, or could they potentially pick them in the next couple months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

El Jeffe posted:

When do presidential candidates usually announce running mates? Only if they get the nomination, or could they potentially pick them in the next couple months?

If you're the presumptive nominee (ie, convention hasn't happened, but you have the delegates) then you announce your running mate before the convention since you're effectively already running your general campaign. If you're coming into a contested convention (ie, hasn't happened in forever), you still might announce a running mate beforehand to try to woo some delegates.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

If you're the presumptive nominee (ie, convention hasn't happened, but you have the delegates) then you announce your running mate before the convention since you're effectively already running your general campaign. If you're coming into a contested convention (ie, hasn't happened in forever), you still might announce a running mate beforehand to try to woo some delegates.

Makes sense, thanks!

Elliot2lazy
Jun 9, 2015

by Cowcaster

what do you think of my new well whatever you call it...meme i guess?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elliot2lazy posted:

what do you think of my new well whatever you call it...meme i guess?

maybe dont post genitals inline in the thread for one

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I really hope this doesn't appear as a troll post / I've posted in the right place.
I was watching the Nye / Ken Ham debate on the 'differences' between observable science and historical science. My degree is chemistry and so this bullshit washes over me, but my friend who was watching too believes there's a chance Ham might be right.
She asked how we knew that processes such as rock formation, snow-layer buildup. light distances travelled, have always occurred at the same rate. How do we know they haven't slowed radically down? Is it possible that the speed of light could have ever been different? That conditions on earth could have been such that rocks could form quicker?

My only answer is "Well, surely someone would have seen this slow down", but I haven't got enough physics knowledge to talk about stuff like the speed of light and its potential to change.
I talked about diamonds and how people could tell the difference between artificial and natural specimens because the crystals are so subject to conditions that they couldn't've been formed in a rapid way. Of course, there's no way for me to prove this negative; I can't prove the crystals couldn't be made quickly.

What I am fundamentally asking is how can we know that the natural laws have always been the same.

I really hate that I am unable to find an answer myself, and that I am having to convince someone of something that is so logical. So thanks for your patience of this kind of stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fruit Smoothies posted:

What I am fundamentally asking is how can we know that the natural laws have always been the same.

I don't think we can know that natural laws have always been the same - especially since they aren't really laws at all but rather descriptions of our current understanding of how the universe works, necessarily framed in the context of our observation/perception - but since there is an absence of any evidence that said laws have changed during the period in question (from Earth's formation to the present) and an absence of any reason that such a change might have occurred, we can assume that things functioned as they do today. Until contrary evidence emerges.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I really hope this doesn't appear as a troll post / I've posted in the right place.
I was watching the Nye / Ken Ham debate on the 'differences' between observable science and historical science. My degree is chemistry and so this bullshit washes over me, but my friend who was watching too believes there's a chance Ham might be right.
She asked how we knew that processes such as rock formation, snow-layer buildup. light distances travelled, have always occurred at the same rate. How do we know they haven't slowed radically down? Is it possible that the speed of light could have ever been different? That conditions on earth could have been such that rocks could form quicker?

My only answer is "Well, surely someone would have seen this slow down", but I haven't got enough physics knowledge to talk about stuff like the speed of light and its potential to change.
I talked about diamonds and how people could tell the difference between artificial and natural specimens because the crystals are so subject to conditions that they couldn't've been formed in a rapid way. Of course, there's no way for me to prove this negative; I can't prove the crystals couldn't be made quickly.

I really hate that I am unable to find an answer myself, and that I am having to convince someone of something that is so logical. So thanks for your patience of this kind of stuff.

The short answer is yes, some physicists do believe that it is possible that the "constants" of physics have not always been constant (see for example the fine structure constant), but certainly not to the extent that young Earth creationism could in any way be validated.

You might get a better answer for this in the Physics questions thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My line of of thinking goes:

1)Assume there is an all knowing, all powerful god
2)God made man in his image
3)Thousands of years of data show mankind is capable of being a huge rear end in a top hat
4)Therefor, God is a huge rear end in a top hat who likes loving with us

This theory really explains everything.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
PS: my new startup "Church of the Enormous rear end in a top hat" has meetings every Tuesday at the YMCA locker room, all are welcome. Bring money.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

My line of of thinking goes:

1)Assume there is an all knowing, all powerful god
2)God made man in his image
3)Thousands of years of data show mankind is capable of being a huge rear end in a top hat
4)Therefor, God is a huge rear end in a top hat who likes loving with us

This theory really explains everything.

Alternatively if you don't want to pore through thousands of years of data, you can just read the Bible in which it is plainly obvious how much of a huge rear end in a top hat God is from His own actions.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's a good discussion and put-down of any Creationist bollocks on RationalWiki, which basically exists to counter pseudo-science, in the case of the speed of light, you'll want their page on Creationist theory of c-decay which does do a little to explain why such a proposal is not merely unlikely but would have terrifying consequences.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

Alternatively if you don't want to pore through thousands of years of data, you can just read the Bible in which it is plainly obvious how much of a huge rear end in a top hat God is from His own actions.

The existence of god is pretty hard to dispute unless someone can explain why other animals are not malevolent jerks constantly acting against their own self interest.

Serious question:

Why does my dog only seem interested in eating poop when it is frozen? When it is above freezing we can walk past any number and types of turds with just a quick sniff but as soon as it hits 32f he tries to gobble up every loving one. Is the dog God just loving with him or what?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Same reason you don't want a hot whisky that poo poo is painful as poo poo. As-is or on the rocks only.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

The existence of god is pretty hard to dispute unless someone can explain why other animals are not malevolent jerks constantly acting against their own self interest.

A huge amount of animals are indeed malevolent jerks. The few that aren't, are heretics. Those are the ones we eat.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the proper name for this type of Rubik's Cube? Moreover, how can I solve those annoying four squares?

It's called an X-Cube: https://www.vat19.com/item/x-cube-puzzle-toy

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Earwicker posted:

...there is an absence of any evidence that said laws have changed during the period in question (from Earth's formation to the present) and an absence of any reason that such a change might have occurred, we can assume that things functioned as they do today. Until contrary evidence emerges.

That c-decay article from the rational wiki a few posts up is a bit wordy. Regardless of what it says, Earwicker's explanation here is adequate.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 1, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

That c-decay article from the rational wiki a few posts up is a bit wordy. Regardless of what it says, Earwicker's explanation here is adequate.

I suppose I should qualify that RationalWiki is a good place to look for the answer yourself, not to link to other people and say "DIGEST THIS KNOWLEDGE, FOOL." If I hear something that sounds bullshit but I'm not sure, I check RatWik.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hey excel wizards, I have a question about making a crappy implementation tolerable:

So every day here we have to track how many gewgaws we give each client. So like, client a takes a gewgaw on Monday and Wednesday, client b takes one on Tuesday.

We currently have a spreadsheet with like client a and client b in column a then dates from columns b-ak. Then we just total at the end with a sum function.

The problem is that we have like 200 clients a month and it becomes unwieldy to figure out on like day 24 whether a client is new and then add more gewgaws to their tab. We also don't have MS Access or any other DB software.

Is there any way in excel or any other program to like check to see if a client is currently in the sheet and add to their tab if so and create a new entry if not?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

bongwizzard posted:

PS: my new startup "Church of the Enormous rear end in a top hat" has meetings every Tuesday at the YMCA locker room, all are welcome. Bring money.

I assume Kirk Johnson is one of your holy figures?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

bongwizzard posted:

Dicks out from the start, or only once the service starts?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

tuyop posted:

Hey excel wizards, I have a question about making a crappy implementation tolerable:

So every day here we have to track how many gewgaws we give each client. So like, client a takes a gewgaw on Monday and Wednesday, client b takes one on Tuesday.

We currently have a spreadsheet with like client a and client b in column a then dates from columns b-ak. Then we just total at the end with a sum function.

The problem is that we have like 200 clients a month and it becomes unwieldy to figure out on like day 24 whether a client is new and then add more gewgaws to their tab. We also don't have MS Access or any other DB software.

Is there any way in excel or any other program to like check to see if a client is currently in the sheet and add to their tab if so and create a new entry if not?

You can just Ctrl+f search for anything in a spreadsheet if you only have to occasionally find/add a client. You can also use pivot tables to sum up your client list in various ways. You also use conditional highlighting to make any duplicates red.

To add a new entry you'd either have to do it manually, or write a VBA script. Its not too hard to make a weird-excel flavored DB thing if you're willing to spend some time figuring out VBA.

(There's also an excel thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163 if you need more wizardry)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

razorrozar posted:

I assume Kirk Johnson is one of your holy figures?

Saint Kirk split from the church over a dispute about who got the last popper at our easter party last year.

kapalama posted:

Dicks out from the start, or only once the service starts?

Respectfully flaccid to start, then energetically engorged as the service progresses.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Assuming you only want to find out if they're new for the current month, you can use conditional formatting to fill in a month with a colour as soon as a client has started taking a... gew...gew. If you want something to be less manual then you'll probably need VB, in which case the previously linked thread is your best chance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought there was already a Deadpool movie starring Ryan Reynolds like 6 or 7 years ago. I have a pretty distinct memory of him playing Deadpool and being disappointed he didn't even have the cool suit in it. Am I crazy or did he play Deadpool in another movie? It seems pretty obvious that this movie I'm imagining didn't exist.

E: can a mod please edit the vag picture out? I click on this thread at work a bunch since it's usually pretty tame and it keeps popping up on my screen.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 2, 2016

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

NESguerilla posted:

I thought there was already a Deadpool movie starring Ryan Reynolds like 6 or 7 years ago. I have a pretty distinct memory of him playing Deadpool and being disappointed he didn't even have the cool suit in it. Am I crazy or did he play Deadpool in another movie? It seems pretty obvious that this movie I'm imagining didn't exist.

E: can a mod please edit the vag picture out? I click on this thread at work a bunch since it's usually pretty tame and it keeps popping up on my screen.

Xmen origins wolverine had silent "deadpool" as the villain...it was awful. There were a few scenes with Ryan Reynolds acting like deadpool prior to becoming deadpool, just to rub salt in the wound.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Douche4Sale posted:

Xmen origins wolverine had silent "deadpool" as the villain...it was awful. There were a few scenes with Ryan Reynolds acting like deadpool prior to becoming deadpool, just to rub salt in the wound.

Ok that was what I was thinking of. Thanks. Yeah that was super lame.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

is it weird that i pee at a 45 degree angle to my right

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm a left pee-er so I hope we never meet at a trough urinal.

Jyrraeth posted:

You can just Ctrl+f search for anything in a spreadsheet if you only have to occasionally find/add a client. You can also use pivot tables to sum up your client list in various ways. You also use conditional highlighting to make any duplicates red.

To add a new entry you'd either have to do it manually, or write a VBA script. Its not too hard to make a weird-excel flavored DB thing if you're willing to spend some time figuring out VBA.

(There's also an excel thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163 if you need more wizardry)

It's pretty constant though and has to be updated every day, like a client will collect gewgaws for like ten days straight and then disappear, being shuffled out by new clients, hopefully disappearing before we run out of gewgaws. As it is we just control+f every client on our daily list and add to the tally manually, but this is just the kind of twenty minutes of daily computer task that I'd rather spend twenty hours negating with automation to never have to do again, you know?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ezzer posted:

is it weird that i pee at a 45 degree angle to my right

Many perfectly normal people are right leaning, but if you find that it's actually Cruzing that way then seek political help.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So if Bernie Sanders drops out of the running today and then two weeks from now Clinton is indicted for the email thing or whatever, what happens then? Do the democrats find someone else to run as the leader? Does it default to Sanders?

I don't need snarky "that's not going to happen" answers, I don't really care either way, I'm just curious what happens if someone running for president breaks the law and gets caught and indicted for it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

So if Bernie Sanders drops out of the running today and then two weeks from now Clinton is indicted for the email thing or whatever, what happens then? Do the democrats find someone else to run as the leader? Does it default to Sanders?

I don't need snarky "that's not going to happen" answers, I don't really care either way, I'm just curious what happens if someone running for president breaks the law and gets caught and indicted for it.

He can't 'drop out' necessarily but he would 'suspend' his campaign. Should Clinton somehow have that happen then the Democratic National Convention would either opt to vote Sanders in instead (assuming he's happy to accept the nomination / resume his campaign) or they can vote for any Democrat of their choice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'd say there's a fair chance of the DNC trying to shift it over to Biden in that scenario.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Earwicker posted:

I'd say there's a fair chance of the DNC trying to shift it over to Biden in that scenario.

He is the most likely choice.

And my personal hope because I'll miss his Onion entries otherwise. :smith:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A student at office hours yesterday gave me a flash drive he found in one of the computers, assuming someone had accidentally left it there. I sent an email to the class last night asking if anyone lost a flash drive, but haven't heard back yet. Is there a safe way to look at what's on that drive to sew if I can find the owner without opening myself up to potential nasty stuff? Would a VM be sufficient? I only have Windows machines available but I can do a live Linux CD if that's the way to go.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hooah posted:

A student at office hours yesterday gave me a flash drive he found in one of the computers, assuming someone had accidentally left it there. I sent an email to the class last night asking if anyone lost a flash drive, but haven't heard back yet. Is there a safe way to look at what's on that drive to sew if I can find the owner without opening myself up to potential nasty stuff? Would a VM be sufficient? I only have Windows machines available but I can do a live Linux CD if that's the way to go.

A live-CD is the most sensible suggestion if you're worried about potential bullshit, but even then do it offline if you are properly suspicious.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

hooah posted:

I'd just turn it over to lost and found, you could be opening yourself up to inconveniences if you try to read it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Does anyone know how drug testing works for teachers in Colorado? My girlfriend is going to be looking for a job at a public school for next school year and she doesn't generally smoke marijuana, but she probably would sometimes if she could, plus I think she worries about second hand smoke since there can be a lot of it. From what I can tell it seems like just bus drivers and security officers and whatnot get tested, not teachers, but I didn't know if anyone knew for sure? Maybe I am googling shittily for some reason, but I can't find readily available answers.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Do any tech goons know what might make my PC's internet connection crap out after a few hops, but not impact other devices on the same network? The weirdest thing was happening; my phone and laptop were fine, but the internet on my PC was hosed. When I ran a tracert to google.com, it'd always fail after 7 hops, on the same comcast backbone server:

code:
  7    11 ms    15 ms    10 ms  he-0-10-0-0-pe05.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.87.214]
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
Unplugging my USB wifi and plugging it back in fixed the problem. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I suppose I should qualify that RationalWiki is a good place to look for the answer yourself, not to link to other people and say "DIGEST THIS KNOWLEDGE, FOOL." If I hear something that sounds bullshit but I'm not sure, I check RatWik.

A bit late, but talkorigins.Org has some great readable info as well.