Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
They're not used in any bundles, so it is OK to sell the actual minerals, like limestone or whatever. Gemstones, like Topaz and Amethyst, are one of the most widely accepted and obtainable gifts in the game, so you will want to hang on to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

I'm gonna quote this for later just in case I forget and it's not up on the wiki yet. What's the 'try-hard' optimal path for each? I took Rancher on the advice of this thread and I took Forager over Forester which seemed like a no-brainer at level 5.

The +50% chance from Pirate feels multiplicative rather than additive. While it *is* a noticeable increase, especially on lucky days and the chest tackle, it's chests so you're liable to get one bait, or two emeralds and a diamond. I'd just go with angler if you went the non-crab pot talent for a solid income increase.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003
Cheese and mayo seem to sell for the same price, but cows are more expensive than chickens and require the purchase of a milking can. What gives here.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Also with regards to modding, the SV EXE isn't obfuscated at all. Decompiling it gives very readable code (not usually compilable though).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

It felt like my mining was taking forever to level up and I'm lazy so I've been using a lot of cherry bombs instead of mining by hand, so I wanted to know if that was loving me out of XP. I did a little testing:

Mining little rocks (the ones that give stone and occasionally geodes) does not grant any XP.
Mining the big rocks also doesn't grant any XP.
Picking up gems does grant XP, but for Foraging.

Mining ore nodes gives XP, with higher tier ores granting more than lower ones.
And finally, blowing up ore nodes with the slingshot or bombs grants the same amount of XP as mining them.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Sage Grimm posted:

~GOD TIER~
Sam the Man

~GOON TIER~
Sebastian
Abigail
Leah (debateably part of NERD TIER)

~NERD TIER~
Harvey
Maru
Penny

~TRASH TIER~
Alex
Elliot

~??? TIER~
Haley
Haley is TROPHY WIFE TIER. She'll go from homecoming queen to landwhale after a few years of married life on the farm. Emily would be so much better.

DropsySufferer posted:

I am the only one who is slowly being driven insane by that loving dog's barking? :argh: I want to quietly enjoy building my farm but the drat dog won't shut up. Had I known the dog was going to be so annoying I would have taken a cat or no pet at all. I hope there a way to give it away to the pound (yes the dog's barking annoys me that much). Lesson learned here cats for life.
I would not mind it except it my dogs bark like crazy whenever it does. I have to mute the sound whenever I'm at the farm now.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Cantorsdust posted:

Modding is proceeding at a very rapid pace. We have an API out that's halfway functional and being updated daily. Already there are some mods out through it that don't have to touch the game files at all. More traditionally, there have already been some content mods out that overwrite game files. I made a few edits to crops and fishing to allow all crops to be grown from spring to fall (they're hardcoded to die in winter no matter my edits) and allow fishes to be caught at all times of day and in all weathers (the game didn't accept my all seasons part of the edit). There are some really nice portrait overhauls for the bachelor(ettes) that bring back the old graphical style, as well as some to remove harvey's moustache or make him a bear. One guy just started audio modding by adding music to the background rain sound. Very exciting time.

But my favorite mod of all is:

:siren: DURABLE FENCES :siren:

Never have your fences break again.

I keep an updated modding thread at the chucklefish forums.

edit: almost forgot--there's a process to pull out the maps from the game that are modifiable using an existing Microsoft tilemap editor (tIDE). So I expect expansions to maps soon, and new maps at some point once we figure out how to add them in game.

Sorry to be dense, but how do I actually install these? I put the SMAPI exe in the game folder, the mods in appdata\roaming\StardewValley\Mods, and then run the game and that doesn't seem to work and running the modding API just causes error text

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I'm really unclear on why she isn't available

This but Robin. drat you Demetrius :negative:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

I am the only one who is slowly being driven insane by that loving dog's barking? :argh: Lesson learned here cats for life.

The cat exchanges incessant barking for incessant sleeping with occasional periods of movement to look adorable, meow, and collapse in exhaustion because of how much sleep they had.

Much like a real cat.

I'm more worried that the chickens are lulling me into a false sense of security. I don't trust those beady little eyes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is Emily supposed to be too young? But she works in a saloon? Or the game just needed equal numbers, maybe.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Chantilly Say posted:

Is Emily supposed to be too young? But she works in a saloon? Or the game just needed equal numbers, maybe.

I generally like the art style in this game, but it does sort of bug me how everyone basically looks the same age, especially when its parent's and their children. Maru and Robin look the same age. So do Jodi and Sam. Pam actually does look like she could be Penny's mother. Maybe its the low fidelity graphics preventing us from seeing things like wrinkles, etc.

I think this age ambiguity is why romance availability seems to us the end users to have no rhyme or reason.

E: except for Robin, you homewreckers :mad:

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2016

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Did someone say Pam? Best wine loving character in the game? Did I mention wine?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
How do people keep up with hay? I only have 4 chickens and 4 cows and I've gone through all the wild grass 1/3 of the way through the first fall and with winter coming up its really going to suck to have to buy 8+ hay per day. If I plant wild grass the cows loving devour it immediately. If you plant grass is it supposed to spread or something? I've planted patches away from my animals and it never seems to

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Magnitogorsk. posted:

How do people keep up with hay? I only have 4 chickens and 4 cows and I've gone through all the wild grass 1/3 of the way through the first fall and with winter coming up its really going to suck to have to buy 8+ hay per day. If I plant wild grass the cows loving devour it immediately. If you plant grass is it supposed to spread or something? I've planted patches away from my animals and it never seems to

Had this issue too. Ended up selling all my animals and never looking back

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Saraiguma posted:

Sorry to be dense, but how do I actually install these? I put the SMAPI exe in the game folder, the mods in appdata\roaming\StardewValley\Mods, and then run the game and that doesn't seem to work and running the modding API just causes error text

Right click on each dll, choose properties, unblock at the bottom. Will be fixed in the next SMAPI.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hah. Started a new game and got a fairy my first night, so glad I made sure to spend all my money on seeds.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Grass does spread, it's just slow so you need a LOT to have the cows not eat it all immediately. It seems to be 1 grass patch = 1 hay, so you need enough that at least 1 new patch is created per day per animal... yeah. If you get behind it's pretty hard to replenish. I accomplished it the first year by planting some grass long before i even bought cows, I bought chickens first but I didn't plant enough grass near them fast enough and they ran out eventually. If you're just starting out it's not a bad idea to just leave the wild grass alone instead of going nuts and clear-cutting the entire field, just clear the area you plan to work in.

But if you have no grass at all and animals already loaded in the barn, you'll probably need to fence them in and just feed them hay until you get a decent sized grass field.

e: here's what my field looked like near the end of fall - it's actually way more than needed I think (there's even more to the south that I just let grow naturally, I only planted like 6 patches or something near the barn). Some of the gaps in there are from where I scythed periodically to put hay in the silo, at the end of the year I had well over 300 hay and had to pull some out of the silo to make room for more. You can tell though there's a circle around the barn where the cows come out and just munch the first patch they find, so it tends to spread the opposite direction.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 1, 2016

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

insanityv2 posted:

Pam actually does look like she could be Penny's mother.

That's because she is, isn't she?

#1 Priority Mod is giving Robin and Shane the single status, thanks. Also Polyamory.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah one of those "What do I need to know before starting the game" things is DON"T cut any grass on your farm until you build a silo. You don't get hay for it until after that's built. I clearcut my farm in the first spring and I'm stuck buying hay in Winter Y1.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Chantilly Say posted:

too old not too young

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

grrarg posted:

Haley is TROPHY WIFE TIER. She'll go from homecoming queen to landwhale after a few years of married life on the farm. Emily would be so much better.

I would not mind it except it my dogs bark like crazy whenever it does. I have to mute the sound whenever I'm at the farm now.

Another nail in the Cats vs Dogs coffin :colbert:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Can animals die?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Replace type="Cat" with type="Dog" (case sensitive) or vice versa in the save file to change pets.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'm in the "gently caress cattle stock" bandwagon, it doesn't have a its own skill, it's resource intensive, and time doesn't stop when you're in the buildings like in Snes HM.

The only upside is it's one of the few ways to make money in winter provided you can make enough hay to last through it.

I think I'll just stick to fishing and pots.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah one of those "What do I need to know before starting the game" things is DON"T cut any grass on your farm until you build a silo. You don't get hay for it until after that's built. I clearcut my farm in the first spring and I'm stuck buying hay in Winter Y1.

Wh-what

:negative:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

Can animals die?

gonna say yes, just had a chicken up and fuckin' vanish on me a few days into Winter, no idea why, but I wasn't paying attention to their health messages much so maybe there was a clue that it was sick or something. I couldn't get heaters until the 3rd day of Winter because loving Marnie can't get her bitch rear end behind the counter on the first loving 2 days of the season and I didn't plan ahead because I just assumed she'd you know BE A loving SHOPKEEP AND SELL ME poo poo

ugh

restarted day 1 several times trying to figure out what the gently caress she was doing, showed up 9 AM sharp, she rolls in at 2pm and immediately goes and stands in front of the microwave for 4 hours until closing time, for FUCKS SAKE

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 1, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't get the people who have turbo poopsocked their field as clean as possible in the first couple seasons. it's meant to be done over time. you're not going to use 80% of it for a while.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm mostly curious about restarting my grass once Spring hits again. I'm guessing I'm going to have to keep my animals in for another season if I want to maintain grass inside their pens.

One thing Harvest Moon has over this is quickly regrowing grass. I believe that in the GBA days it only took two days for a grass tile to go from short to fully grown again, and animals did not completely consume grass tiles.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm in the "gently caress cattle stock" bandwagon, it doesn't have a its own skill, it's resource intensive, and time doesn't stop when you're in the buildings like in Snes HM.

The only upside is it's one of the few ways to make money in winter provided you can make enough hay to last through it.

I think I'll just stick to fishing and pots.

After winter is over I'm thinking of selling my chickens and demolishing the coop. It's not in a good spot since I thought that the "upgrades" were entirely new coops, not actual upgrades to the existing one. I want to put all the ranch buildings in the same corner of the map, fence it off, and let the grass run wild, basically. Or wasn't there a patch note that said you can move the buildings now, but it still costs the time to demolish and rebuild?

Edit: Yeah, grass does regrow extremely slowly and randomly. It feels like having a self-sustaining grassy area is not possible unless you devote half your farm to pure grass or have less than five total animals. Either it has to regrow faster, or when the animals eat it, the patch doesn't completely disappear. If it were more like the regrowing crops it could work out, where there's a stage where the grass is edible, and once it's eaten it goes into a basically 'mowed' state where it takes X days to become edible again.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 1, 2016

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't get the people who have turbo poopsocked their field as clean as possible in the first couple seasons. it's meant to be done over time. you're not going to use 80% of it for a while.

I cleared mine for the resources rather than the space, and to make it easier to walk through to use the south entrance.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm mostly curious about restarting my grass once Spring hits again. I'm guessing I'm going to have to keep my animals in for another season if I want to maintain grass inside their pens.

In my case, when spring rolled back around, a bunch of grass, stone, wood, and shrub tiles randomly popped up all over the farm.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Library book from worm diggin':

"Petting your animals every day makes them happier!"

:geno:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I was kind of worried when I saw time passed indoors because HMSNES and 64 spoiled me on that.

I know pigs are a thing later on in the game and they find truffles for you or something. Do they make ranching more worth it?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh god I'm paranoid now, is there a stardrop fruit to be found at the winter start festival? The old warrior guy hinted at something like that, so I ran up to the mountain to look.

Got Sebastian's 10-heart event though :kimchi:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Facts;

Rancher is dramatically better then Tiller.

Hops is cash crop as gently caress if you save them. I planted a little six row of 'em and I got 70~ or so out of summer. Then I saved them, because they're hops. Farm level seven or eight you unlock brewing! Hops makes 300g booze in a day. If I was smart and went rancher (to be fair to me artisan goods didn't count at the time) that'd be 450 each, instead.

The Ghosts come out when it rains, you can hear their wailing. They wail to warn you they're active that day when you wake up. When you hear the wail otherwise it means they're on the map, somewhere. Ready to start rushing you. Don't let the ghosts get you. Harvey can't help you. The game auto-saves after. Be vigilant.

Don't rush the mines. You don't really have anything else to do in winter and further progression is locked by community/joja bundles.

Copper water can blows, but the steel one lets you shoot five tiles out and that's pretty useful. Gold then is a 3x3 block, which honestly sounds less useful (not that they're all mutually exclusive) for 10k + gold.

no really beware the ghosts

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

LordZoric posted:

I was kind of worried when I saw time passed indoors because HMSNES and 64 spoiled me on that.

I know pigs are a thing later on in the game and they find truffles for you or something. Do they make ranching more worth it?

Ranching also increases the price of artisan goods. Artisan goods are your actual money maker, via honey and jams and so on.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

Ranching also increases the price of artisan goods. Artisan goods are your actual money maker, via honey and jams and so on.

That's really something they should specify in the skill :mad:

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Gamerofthegame posted:

Facts;

Rancher is dramatically better then Tiller.

Hops is cash crop as gently caress if you save them. I planted a little six row of 'em and I got 70~ or so out of summer. Then I saved them, because they're hops. Farm level seven or eight you unlock brewing! Hops makes 300g booze in a day. If I was smart and went rancher (to be fair to me artisan goods didn't count at the time) that'd be 450 each, instead.

The Ghosts come out when it rains, you can hear their wailing. They wail to warn you they're active that day when you wake up. When you hear the wail otherwise it means they're on the map, somewhere. Ready to start rushing you. Don't let the ghosts get you. Harvey can't help you. The game auto-saves after. Be vigilant.

Don't rush the mines. You don't really have anything else to do in winter and further progression is locked by community/joja bundles.

Copper water can blows, but the steel one lets you shoot five tiles out and that's pretty useful. Gold then is a 3x3 block, which honestly sounds less useful (not that they're all mutually exclusive) for 10k + gold.

no really beware the ghosts

Tiller is the path that unlocks +50% artisan goods prices. The only affect Rancher has is that artisan-based animal products (e.g., mayo) also get the 10% boost that the raw product (egg) does.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Wait, I'm confused. If Rancher also gives an artisan goods bump, it's 10%, but if I go Tiller the Artisan choice at level 10 gives me a 50% Artisan bump :confused: I'm not going to restart my game or anything, but I'm not following here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shane hits very close to home for me. Why isn't there a bromance option where he and I can be totally platonic bros with fistbumps and playing video games?