Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My first read of it was a crappy Dutch translation (to the point where I could literally tell what the original sentence in English was and where the translator was lazy/rushed/sloppy) so I really should pick up a copy in the original English sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I can't be the only one who keeps thinking about Greg Stillson from The Dead Zone the longer Donald Trump's campaign goes on, am I?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zwabu posted:

I can't be the only one who keeps thinking about Greg Stillson from The Dead Zone the longer Donald Trump's campaign goes on, am I?

Oh yeah, totally see him holding up a baby to dodge sniper fire

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Nooooope.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Rubio reminds me more of stillson....trump is more of a Randall Flagg type. cruz is big Jim rennie and Jeb is the Crimson King

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can someone briefly explain the connections and references linking 11/22/63 and IT. I'm reading the former, and as my first King book I understand some of the connections from pop-culture osmosis but a lot is going over my head.

What's in the sewers? What lives in the mill / the barrens? Who are the two kids with the jazz music?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone briefly explain the connections and references linking 11/22/63 and IT. I'm reading the former, and as my first King book I understand some of the connections from pop-culture osmosis but a lot is going over my head.

What's in the sewers? What lives in the mill / the barrens? Who are the two kids with the jazz music?

11/22/63's scenes in Derry take place immediately after an inter dimensional shapeshifting demon that feeds off the fear of children and influenced Derry into being a cesspool of secrecy and hatred by killing random kids in brutal ways every once in a while got totally owned by a group of kids who were destined to own him. bev and Richie were among those kids and grow up to own him again. IT lives in the labyrinthine sewers and the area outside town that serves as entry to them

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah, what the gently caress was with that, anyway? I know King likes to reference his other works a lot, but even I was rolling my eyes at Jake's time in Derry, and I absolutely loved It(the novel). Meeting up with Bev and Richie was out of place, it felt weird that they just implicitly trusted him after they had been through this traumatic event, as though they psychically knew he wasn't a bad guy, and then it was weird because I thought Pennywise was supposed to be resting or recovering or whatever but there he is, tempting Jake into coming toward him. Isn't that exactly what It did to Georgie? So how is it weakened or hiding at all if it's still engaging anyone nearby?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kings characters are uniquely alive and I was happy to er....see them again

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Advice posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress was with that, anyway? I know King likes to reference his other works a lot, but even I was rolling my eyes at Jake's time in Derry, and I absolutely loved It(the novel). Meeting up with Bev and Richie was out of place, it felt weird that they just implicitly trusted him after they had been through this traumatic event, as though they psychically knew he wasn't a bad guy, and then it was weird because I thought Pennywise was supposed to be resting or recovering or whatever but there he is, tempting Jake into coming toward him. Isn't that exactly what It did to Georgie? So how is it weakened or hiding at all if it's still engaging anyone nearby?

King can't help himself, he has to tie things into his overarching universe. I didn't think it was jarringly out-of-place, but that's mostly because we've come to expect that sort of thing from him.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Spike orders "The Mist" TV series.

You know, King wrote a LOT more stuff you could adapt.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Spike orders "The Mist" TV series.

You know, King wrote a LOT more stuff you could adapt.

Or stories/movies that are more appropriate for remakes.

I hate the machine that is Hollywood. Why can't we get a Long Walk mini-series? Or a new Firestarter?

Seriously, a Firestarter with a Lynchian aesthetic with all the dream sequences would be awesome, especially if they could capture the paranoia of that novel.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Not that it's the route they'll go, but a TV series set in the word of "The Mist" rather than a straight adaptation would be pretty good, provided the people writing the scripts were competent.

April
Jul 3, 2006

What would be awesome is an anthology series, kind of like American Horror Story, but maybe with shorter seasons, doing different short stories and novellas each cycle. The worst thing about King adaptations is the whole "let's run this poo poo into the ground!" thing that happens, when a fairly short story (Children of the Corn for example) gets stretched into a movie and numerous sequels. Or a single book (Under the Dome) turns into multiple seasons of a show.

Cycle of the Werewolf, for example, would be a perfect single-season, multi-episode show. Or something to do with the story-telling club from Different Seasons (too lazy to look it up right now), a group of awesomely curmudgeonly old farts telling the stories, maybe with some kind of umbrella plotline involving them, but different shorts each episode.

Sorry guys, I'm sleepy and probably not very coherent, but I think most of us agree that some of King's best writing is in his short stories, and almost without exception, they get turned into poo poo adaptations, due to trying to get too much out of something that's like 30 pages long. AHS has proven that the anthology format can work, and I think it would be a lot of fun, especially if there are different directors and styles in play.

Just for the love of all that's holy, keep Ryan Murphy far the gently caress away from it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

April posted:

What would be awesome is an anthology series, kind of like American Horror Story, but maybe with shorter seasons, doing different short stories and novellas each cycle.

I think you nailed it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Or a new Firestarter?

Seriously, a Firestarter with a Lynchian aesthetic with all the dream sequences would be awesome, especially if they could capture the paranoia of that novel.

Hey now, we got a Firestarter 2!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ornamented Death posted:

Not that it's the route they'll go, but a TV series set in the word of "The Mist" rather than a straight adaptation would be pretty good, provided the people writing the scripts were competent.

Well, there's your problem right there!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

April posted:

What would be awesome is an anthology series, kind of like American Horror Story, but maybe with shorter seasons, doing different short stories and novellas each cycle.

They sort of did that with Nightmares and Dreamscapes, albeit they weren't all from the same collection. Results were...mixed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not 100% sold on the 11.22.63 adaptation after the first few episodes, but drat did they cast Sadie straight out of my brain.

Not real pumped about the plot acceleration though.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Idris Elba and Matthew Mcconaughey are confirmed and the movie is a go. Interesting that they're going to start the series somewhere in the middle and fill in the backstory along the way.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Canuckistan posted:

Idris Elba and Matthew Mcconaughey are confirmed and the movie is a go. Interesting that they're going to start the series somewhere in the middle and fill in the backstory along the way.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

McConaughey's also playing Randall Flagg in the upcoming film series of The Stand, which is fitting because the man in black named Walter was one of Flagg's personas.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

mdemone posted:

McConaughey's also playing Randall Flagg in the upcoming film series of The Stand, which is fitting because the man in black named Walter was one of Flagg's personas.

Is that still going ahead? I liked the miniseries even if it couldn't quite escape that 90's teledrama goofyness. I thought Flagg was weak in it though the actor was really trying and got the flippant weirdness down, but I never really bought into him as a towering threat. To be sure his introductions sitting on a telephone pole and saying rubba dub dub thanks for the grub didn't help, neither did the reliance on that weird troll mask thing.

McConaughey should do a lot better though.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
You know, I can get behind him doing the rubba dub dub thing. We know that he's a frequent traveler to other wheres/whens and that seems like the kind of doggerel he would use. It feels cliche here but if it was used on mid-earth it would be perfectly in character. I liked The Stand mini-series overall. I still can't hear 'Don't Fear the Reaper' without thinking of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3gQfMgvVM&t=255s

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
When Stu, Nick, Glen, Brent, and Kojack start their long walk out to Las Vegas, there's a theme that comes up that is absolutely perfect.

Found it! W.G. "Snuffy" Walden's "The Beginning of the End".

https://youtu.be/0fn2xfYiGiE?t=57

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Canuckistan posted:

You know, I can get behind him doing the rubba dub dub thing. We know that he's a frequent traveler to other wheres/whens and that seems like the kind of doggerel he would use. It feels cliche here but if it was used on mid-earth it would be perfectly in character. I liked The Stand mini-series overall. I still can't hear 'Don't Fear the Reaper' without thinking of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3gQfMgvVM&t=255s

Same with me, except I also associate "Don't Dream It's Over" with the miniseries 'cause of the opening to part 2.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
It seems like everyone in this thread has a love/hate relationship with King. I don't know where to The Stand how to feel honestly. I loved The Shining, Misery, Pet Sematary, and The Gunslinger, but I got spoiled on The Stand and the Dark Tower series and those endings just sounded so lame. Is there a good stopping point in either series where it's all downhill from there?

I heard once that a lot of his villains tend to be on the brink of victory and are so busy being evil they trip over themselves and toss a grenade at their own feet. Is that true?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Stephen king's books are about the journey, not the destination.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
are you seriously asking if there are points in the stand or the dark tower where you can put the book down without finishing?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Did you just say you haven't read The Stand because you got the ending spoiled?

Stop reading this. Go buy The Stand. You're welcome.

I'm actually jealous of you for getting to experience it for the first time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Advice posted:

Did you just say you haven't read The Stand because you got the ending spoiled?

Stop reading this. Go buy The Stand. You're welcome.

I'm actually jealous of you for getting to experience it for the first time.

it won't be the first time.....he clearly posted that he got the ending spoiled. how can u POSSIBLY enjoy the stand if u know how it ends????

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

it won't be the first time.....he clearly posted that he got the ending spoiled. how can u POSSIBLY enjoy the stand if u know how it ends????

I did. Knowing the ending made it better - I think it would've disappointed me if I hadn't known it was coming, so I could appreciate the buildup and foreshadowing of it.

I feel like everyone has a love/hate relationship with King thats epitomized by the Dark Tower. As I read the series, each book till 4 was better than the last. Wizard and Glass was the peak for me. Then Wolves was solid but some signs of badness showed. Then Song of Susannah was suddenly, honestly one of the worst things I've ever read.

And then the final book seemed to vary just as widely in quality as the full series - the good parts were amazing (Callahan's death, the Breakers, the Pennywise-lite monster, the loop ending, which I thought was beautiful in its own way but understand is controversial) and the bad parts were insufferable (Flagg's garbage death, King's awkward self insertion, Mordred being bitched out, the Crimson King being an old Jew throwing bombs who gets hosed over by a new character no one gives a poo poo about (self aware deus ex machina doesn't mean it automatically works King)). I realize this got to rant territory, but drat.

It seems like King's whole bibliography reflects this - more good than bad, and a lot of what's good is brilliant, but the bad can be bad enough to taint that.

DoctorG0nzo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 1, 2016

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Needless the say I'm excited that the series may fix many of the terrible mistakes King made and help highlight those golden moments.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I did. Knowing the ending made it better - I think it would've disappointed me if I hadn't known it was coming, so I could appreciate the buildup and foreshadowing of it.

I feel like everyone has a love/hate relationship with King thats epitomized by the Dark Tower. As I read the series, each book till 4 was better than the last. Wizard and Glass was the peak for me. Then Wolves was solid but some signs of badness showed. Then Song of Susannah was suddenly, honestly one of the worst things I've ever read.

And then the final book seemed to vary just as widely in quality as the full series - the good parts were amazing (Callahan's death, the Breakers, the Pennywise-lite monster, the loop ending, which I thought was beautiful in its own way but understand is controversial) and the bad parts were insufferable (Flagg's garbage death, King's awkward self insertion, Mordred being bitched out, the Crimson King being an old Jew throwing bombs who gets hosed over by a new character no one gives a poo poo about (self aware deus ex machina doesn't mean it automatically works King)). I realize this got to rant territory, but drat.

It seems like King's whole bibliography reflects this - more good than bad, and a lot of what's good is brilliant, but the bad can be bad enough to taint that.

how on earth do you justify referring to the Crimson King as an "old Jew."

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

how on earth do you justify referring to the Crimson King as an "old Jew."

Oh I didn't mean that in an anti Semetic way - I meant it literally reminded me of old shylock esque racist caricatures from the 20s. Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure beady eyes and a hook nose were mentioned. Not trying to say anything about King's perception of race/culture, just saying I was getting some Shylock vibes.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'd love to read that description if you can dig it up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

DoctorG0nzo posted:

the loop ending, which I thought was beautiful in its own way but understand is controversial)

It could not have ended any other way.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mister Kingdom posted:

It could not have ended any other way.

Most criticism of the ending of The Dark Tower revolves more around King trying to talk you out of reading the last chapter right before the last chapter. It was loving amateur hour bullshit and he should have known better.

Well that and colossal letdown the Crimson King turned out to be.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Oh I didn't mean that in an anti Semetic way - I meant it literally reminded me of old shylock esque racist caricatures from the 20s. Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure beady eyes and a hook nose were mentioned. Not trying to say anything about King's perception of race/culture, just saying I was getting some Shylock vibes.

so his description of a decrepit monster with white as snow skin and blood red beady eyes, blood red rose red beady dot little eyes (king emphasizes them a lot) and a hooked nose reminded you of the Jews.......

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

so his description of a decrepit monster with white as snow skin and blood red beady eyes, blood red rose red beady dot little eyes (king emphasizes them a lot) and a hooked nose reminded you of the Jews.......

Checks out, seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah I mean haven't you met one dude

I was a real fan of the way he made him scream "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" like your average shifty-eyed hebe

Seriously though, maybe I'm just latently anti semetic, or maybe I read it a bit too close to reading Merchant of Venice. Relax