Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I found a +2 vampiric dagger with my Spriggan stabber. Since I'll be switching a lot to my rapier of electrocution, I assume it's not worth it to stay full all the time to use this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Go Tornado (+Darkness if possible) so that when Xom starts swapping and teleporting everything around, well, you're a goddamn tornado. Tornadoes don't care where they go.

Xom teleport won't scuttle a tornado?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

You found the Lair entrance after only 72k turns? For shame.

code:
259117 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
I got a bunch of cool stuff and didn't want to get banished like a bunch of my previous attempts did :(

Edit: nevermind, banished to Abyss:5 and dead :shepicide:

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 1, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Geez PF, you've been busy... I'm quite curious about the dynamic between the devs. Every so often one of you seems to go through and do clean ups and general code maintenance. Do you take turns doing this or just go as the whim strikes you?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hempuli posted:

I found a +2 vampiric dagger with my Spriggan stabber. Since I'll be switching a lot to my rapier of electrocution, I assume it's not worth it to stay full all the time to use this?

It's a complete waste of time. You're almost always near full hp when you're stabbing things, since the target is either asleep or somehow hexed. And when you're not stabbing the HP you get from the dagger is going to be less than all the HP you lose from taking 5 times longer to kill things.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Unimpressed posted:

Geez PF, you've been busy... I'm quite curious about the dynamic between the devs. Every so often one of you seems to go through and do clean ups and general code maintenance. Do you take turns doing this or just go as the whim strikes you?

Purely based on whim/whimsy, just like the rest of DCSS development.

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007
Does a Vine Stalker's bite proc more often with faster melee weapons? If so, can I as a VsBe move on extended with a quickblade to coast on the bites, or should I be looking into moving to Long Blades instead? I did find a great sword of holy wrath in Elf

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more you attack, the more bite opportunities you will have. So bite frequency is directly tied to how fast your attacks are. Quick blade vine stalkers are strong for this reason, but I wouldn't rely solely on a quick blade. They reach min delay at really low exp, so you can put some exp into long blades to have a better weapon against enemies with really high AC like hell sentinels.

PleasingFungus posted:

I dunno why but I've found your recent avatars to be really amusing.

Itaipava
Jun 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The more you attack, the more bite opportunities you will have. So bite frequency is directly tied to how fast your attacks are. Quick blade vine stalkers are strong for this reason, but I wouldn't rely solely on a quick blade. They reach min delay at really low exp, so you can put some exp into long blades to have a better weapon against enemies with really high AC like hell sentinels.

Thank you. Follow-up question: Does Regen 3 stack with, say, the amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Itaipava posted:

Thank you. Follow-up question: Does Regen 3 stack with, say, the amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}?

All regen stacks with all other regen. The one exception was trolls wearing troll-leather armor in older versions, but even that stacks now.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Itaipava posted:

Does a Vine Stalker's bite proc more often with faster melee weapons? If so, can I as a VsBe move on extended with a quickblade to coast on the bites, or should I be looking into moving to Long Blades instead? I did find a great sword of holy wrath in Elf

the anti-magic bite fucks over so much dangerous poo poo in extended. it rules with something fast. lom lobon cast 1 tornado and just sat there while i holy whipped his rear end to death. if you converted to tso you should bless a demon blade and start collecting demon parts as trophies.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

you forgot spite

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno why but I've found your recent avatars to be really amusing.

:)

kaschei posted:

you forgot spite

Excellent point! I'll be sure to include more of that in future commits.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

:)

Excellent point! I'll be sure to include more of that in future commits.

This is an excellent commit as long as you follow up with replacing all instances of banishment with that charge spell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Charged banishment would be a nice change though I doubt its gonna be applied to older monsters. Plus my main source of banishment is still getting poked by an enemy with a distortion weapon I didn't notice.

Speaking of which, is there a way to make reapers in hell not banish you with distortion? By that point being banished is a complete waste of time cause abyss:1 isn't anywhere near as dangerous as hell. The distortion brand itself can be dangerous when it randomly blinks you so removing it entirely from hell wouldn't be desirable. I just remember old hell effects used to be able to banish you but the devs changed that so maybe it should be extended to the brand in hell.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Charged banishment would be a nice change though I doubt its gonna be applied to older monsters. Plus my main source of banishment is still getting poked by an enemy with a distortion weapon I didn't notice.

Speaking of which, is there a way to make reapers in hell not banish you with distortion? By that point being banished is a complete waste of time cause abyss:1 isn't anywhere near as dangerous as hell. The distortion brand itself can be dangerous when it randomly blinks you so removing it entirely from hell wouldn't be desirable. I just remember old hell effects used to be able to banish you but the devs changed that so maybe it should be extended to the brand in hell.

Well, don't worry because they'll send you deeper than Abyss:1 now (based on HD of monster)! For reference, I got hit by a Deep Elf Blademaster with distortion and got sent to Abyss:5; not sure where reapers are in comparison, but it's probably not good!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

btw, you don't have PMs, so: accept my steam friend request already, jerk!!!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

Well, don't worry because they'll send you deeper than Abyss:1 now (based on HD of monster)! For reference, I got hit by a Deep Elf Blademaster with distortion and got sent to Abyss:5; not sure where reapers are in comparison, but it's probably not good!

Oh.

Good. :shepface:

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Should Octopodes be able to use 2 handed weapons and bows with a shield? Maybe not a large shield but I feel like a buckler might be cool

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
This new Beogh ability is cool. I like the part where if you raise St. Roka's corpse he immediately converts.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It looks like Gozag's entrance fee doesn't play well with sprint. At least in linesprint there's a lot of gold on the ground in the "orcish mines" area, and Gozag considers that to be available to the player in his fee calculations. So you end up with a 600+ gold entrance fee that you probably can't pay until after doing the mines.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

I am Otis posted:

Should Octopodes be able to use 2 handed weapons and bows with a shield? Maybe not a large shield but I feel like a buckler might be cool

They're imagined to use their limbs in Squidward-like pairs. Though now that the code is there for formicids, I could see it being applied to them. . . I'm actually liking this more and more as I think about it, particularly if it's just bucklers.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Whoops, just double checked and got my recent games mixed up: the deep elf blademaster sent me to Abyss 3 when I got hit.

It was Margery who sent me to Abyss:5 :shepface:

Edit: Reapers are HD 14 compared to blademasters 16, and Margery is 22. So Reapers will probably send you to Abyss 3 as well.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 2, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prism posted:

This new Beogh ability is cool. I like the part where if you raise St. Roka's corpse he immediately converts.

The farthest I ever got in the game, I walked down into the last level of Orc Mines as a HOPr and immediately had half the screen, including Roka immediately join me. Of course I ended up splatting when I read-ID'd a scroll of immolation by accident and one of my scrub orcs died

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Prism posted:

Oh man, does this mean Beoghites are guaranteed to be able to get all of the uniques now?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Uniques don't always spawn, you don't always see them if they do, if you kill them they don't leave a corpse half the time, and occasionally they kill you. How many uniques are orcs anyway? Roka, Nergalle, javelin dog guy...?

Edit: Blooooork!

kaschei fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 2, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

kaschei posted:

Uniques don't always spawn, you don't always see them if they do, if you kill them they don't leave a corpse half the time, and occasionally they kill you. How many uniques are orcs anyway? Roka, Nergalle, javelin dog guy...?

Urug's the javelin guy, and I think just those four.

And yeah, there's no guarantee that you'll get access to their corpse (you also don't get it if they fall into lava or get exploded, obviously) but if you do you can raise and convert them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

kaschei posted:

Urug is an orc with javelins, Grum is a gnoll with dogs. (Well, wolves now.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wolves are basically just javelins with legs anyways.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speleothing posted:

They're imagined to use their limbs in Squidward-like pairs. Though now that the code is there for formicids, I could see it being applied to them. . . I'm actually liking this more and more as I think about it, particularly if it's just bucklers.

Or maybe their little octo-arms are too weak to hold say, an executioner's axe or a great mace. But work with me here.... what if they wield two "small" class weapons at once??

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've been away for so long! There are so many changes!!

I see there are two new gods, and Pakellas apparently got added to trunk? What about Wulndraste?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

Urug is an orc with javelins, Grum is a gnoll with dogs. (Well, wolves now.)
Oh right, I think I got them on the same level like twice in a row and I keep mixing them up... but dogs would get in the way of javelins so it makes sense.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Trunk doesn't exist anymore. It's all 0.17 now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ugly John posted:

Trunk doesn't exist anymore. It's all 0.17 now.

What? Trunk is the current in-development version. What is 0.17 was once Trunk. Before that 0.15 was the current version and trunk was the in-development version of 0.16. And before that, 0.15.

The current Trunk will eventually become 0.18.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Scaramouche posted:

Or maybe their little octo-arms are too weak to hold say, an executioner's axe or a great mace.

How about if they could constrict with more than one tentacle per target, like how real octopuses attack with all their tentacles at once? Coincidentally it might also make sense to let them constrict large enemies, like wrapping around a yak's neck to strangle it instead of slapping it repeatedly.

Yeah, arbitrarily applying realism to a universe with actual gods and magical elves and sapient antmans and killer klowns is as obtuse as it is gamebreaking.

Scaramouche posted:

But work with me here.... what if they wield two "small" class weapons at once??
Completely screwing game balance is only part of the reason why dual-wielding is on the "things we won't do, ever" list. Gonna go with the standard excuse: laziness.

Joking, especially since someone actually did code in the paired-quickblades artifact, which may or may not be entirely unrelated to my suggestion ~1(?) year prior :v:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's a real shame that gyre and gimble are bad. A quickblade with vorpal brand that carries an evasion and shield penalty, even one with double attacks, is lame compared to a regular one with a good brand.

They look cool though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Brannock posted:

I see there are two new gods, and Pakellas apparently got added to trunk? What about Wulndraste?

Don't play Extended in Trunk at the moment unless you have a way to stop being malmutated to hell like Necromutation or Zin/Jiyva, because rMut is gone (except for on unrandarts). Other than that, I like pretty much every other Trunk change.

E:

Darox posted:

It's a real shame that gyre and gimble are bad. A quickblade with vorpal brand that carries an evasion and shield penalty, even one with double attacks, is lame compared to a regular one with a good brand.

They look cool though.

It's pretty fun if you go Spectral Weapon and worship Dith. So many potential attacks a turn!

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
FR: Allow gyre and gimble to be affect by scroll of brand weapon :getin:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Brannock posted:

Wulndraste is languishing, tragically; iirc the god just didn't work that well in testing. Maybe someday I'll have my own shot at it, another take on the basic concept.

If there are even any letters left by then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What happens when there's 27 gods? Does every new god from then on have to force an old one out?

• Locked thread