Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What triggers Enrage on Berserkers? They didn't move or do anything when shot this time. Also the aliens double fired on guys once, then single fired twice, then never aimed at a civilian again. :shrug:

Zigmidge posted:

treat it like death and leave them behind, now nobody has an issue with the mechanic.

I've never even had it happen. Usually lancers either miss or just fire their gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: BTW someone explain this. It's how the civilian died last time too.

The berserker way far away is highlighted as in-range. I think something increased the explosive range of grenades, and somehow didn't make the area of effect indicator get bigger. That's a HUGE difference, so it's either a mod issue or a bug. Either way, I don't get anything like that.

Edit: I'm still looking for number of pods per difficulty, if anyone wants to throw a tip my way. I can take it from there.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't trust Kill Zone on classes without squadsight. The cone lies about what you'll shoot at.

tbh I find it lies on Snipers too

So many times I've seen an entire pod run through the arc and, nothing happens!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The berserker way far away is highlighted as in-range. I think something increased the explosive range of grenades, and somehow didn't make the area of effect indicator get bigger. That's a HUGE difference, so it's either a mod issue or a bug. Either way, I don't get anything like that.

No mods for explosives are on, based on how it died, I think it actually thought the berserker was at two points at once. It snapped to the mutons once I killed it. I mean literally snapped, it ricocheted. :v:

Moola posted:

tbh I find it lies on Snipers too

So many times I've seen an entire pod run through the arc and, nothing happens!

Yeah I specced this grenadier for it but I may go back to explosives. It's actually a really lovely skill!

And cool just nearly lost my star ranger and had every good unit take a wound because the battle scanner failed to point out the pod it landed on. Again. And half of another pod.

Does it just not work on robotic enemies? Every time it's failed it's been to a sectopod or a mec.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Are rookies assigned a class purely at random, or does their performance in their first mission affect it? e.g. if they travel a load of tiles they're more likely to become a ranger, use a grenade = more likely to be a grenadier, or whatever? I'm assuming it's just random.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Pipski posted:

Are rookies assigned a class purely at random, or does their performance in their first mission affect it? e.g. if they travel a load of tiles they're more likely to become a ranger, use a grenade = more likely to be a grenadier, or whatever? I'm assuming it's just random.

It's almost certainly random, just like the last game (with your first four promotions giving one of each). But now we have the GTS which means you never have to field a rookie again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's random, but it's always fun when a class and nickname line up with what the soldier did.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Unfair my rear end the enemy typically greatly outnumbers you on a given mission and broadly speaking out guns you and had much less of an instinct of self preservation than you do. Your soldiers abilities to break the rules are the only advantage you have.

Fake edit: you know what would be a great alternative to the protect the device missions? Make them hackable. If you can get a dude to the objective they can extract the information after, say, X turns.

Like you can kill all the enemies but after six turns you can grab the data and not worry about protecting it because the AI will suicide gank that fucker every goddamn time.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You also generally outnumber them and always have a free turn when fighting them

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

I would have a lot less problems with Unconscious as a status effect if there was a way to deal with it that didn't compete with Haywire Protocol for a skill slot.
On legendary I am having such an issue even stunning robots that I'm probably going to abandon haywire altogether. 60/40 odds to stun/buff a heavy MEC just isn't worth it, even with my Capt who earned enemy protocol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just passed the bar I needed to disable a turret. It got buffed instead.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Yeah, the bar is, like, at the far left of the UI indicator. Maybe even a little past the little indicator. A perfect hacking roll sends the indicator off the bar.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So, I've never seen this happen in my entire first campaign, but early on I had reinforcements called in on me and instead of getting the red flare effect, this happened. Then it happened again just yesterday.

It's taken me this long to realize this is how the game handles reinforcement drops for enemies that don't have dropship animations, so any non-Advent troops. Both times, the reinforcement pod had an alien leading it, once a Sectoid, and later, a Viper. So it's pretty cool that they have a contingency for this. I think it's based on when you skulljack a story-sensitive enemy, e.g. when the first Codex appears after skulljacking an Officer it'll show up in a portal like this, but it's instant rather than a one-turn delay.
Unless I'm mistaken and this shows up normally? But again, I had never seen this in a whole campaign. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

Either way I thought it was pretty drat cool.

LowellDND posted:

Awesome :D Now, I saw that you said faceless won't be in disguise on standard missions? Why is that?
"FacelessCivilian" is a technically different kind of specific unit. The problem is that if that were included in normal pods, you would get things like 2 mutons, a berserker, and Joe Smith all standing around together, so you'd probably know what was up. Placing a random faceless civilian in each mission, like the Dark Event does, basically requires each mission type to have special inclusions for disguised Faceless pods. You can't just add them to an existing pool, sad to say.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

many johnnys posted:

But now we have the GTS which means you never have to field a rookie again.

That's cute.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Where can I find a list of all the abilities in the game? Even the ones the enemy use?

I want to gently caress around and give stuff to the default classes with some simple ini edits...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Yeah, the bar is, like, at the far left of the UI indicator. Maybe even a little past the little indicator. A perfect hacking roll sends the indicator off the bar.

It got my hopes up and squashed them. :negative:

Thankfully it missed anyway.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Moola posted:

Where can I find a list of all the abilities in the game? Even the ones the enemy use?

I want to gently caress around and give stuff to the default classes with some simple ini edits...

DefaultGameData.ini. Search for

[XComGame.X2PerkPackages]

It starts with the Xcom guys, and then shows you all the enemy lists.

Edit: Side note, has anyone actually let the sectopods use their charge up ability? I don't even know what it does.

Edit2: Do Killzone and Guardian interact?

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 1, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Are units capable of using attacks even if they lack animations for them? I remember adding "self destruct" to training roulette in XCOM 1 but my guys refused to blow up. I'm wondering if modding would allow alternatives this time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's just a powerful AOE attack that destroys cover and presumably does a lot of damage, but my guys had moved away quite sharpish. I feel like it has a range of like 4 or 5 tiles, it didn't destroy that much from what I remember.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gharbad the Weak posted:

DefaultGameData.ini. Search for

[XComGame.X2PerkPackages]

It starts with the Xcom guys, and then shows you all the enemy lists.

cheers

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Edit: Side note, has anyone actually let the sectopods use their charge up ability? I don't even know what it does.

You know what it does, it destroys an entire van with a VIP inside, instantly killing him. Thats what it does

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh wow you know what? I think I lost because I hosed the geoscape up and the facilities are in bad places. I need 50 intel to research a facility lead, but I have 24. I need 100 for the nearest one (40 + 60). I have the doom counter at 9. The blacksite only set it back 1 (it was at 10 before), and with Commander it's 11 days.

On the plus side, the game's bugs didn't defeat me, my poor decisions did. :haw:

e: To rub it in an archon spotted me from behind a house and flew up to my squad through three floors.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Side note, has anyone actually let the sectopods use their charge up ability? I don't even know what it does.

Explodes stuff in a line, not even too wide one, rather underwhelming for all the buildup. Shredstorm cannon is way more impressive and you can do it without the chargeup.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pyromancer posted:

Explodes stuff in a line, not even too wide one, rather underwhelming for all the buildup. Shredstorm cannon is way more impressive and you can do it without the chargeup.

Makes for some badass pictures though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ahahahahaha I forgot alien infiltrators was on. So, in the same house the archon cheated and flew through, I killed the pod with no damage taken due to a mimic beacon. Turns out a civilian was inside! And on fire! I didn't think anything of it, I thought they died. Then I thought it was weird I couldn't move to the position they were in. "Another bug", I thought. Then the "dead body" takes more burning damage. Then it becomes a faceless. Then I don't get overwatch because it can't moved because I penned it in. Then I realize I'm on the second floor. Then it attacks and everyone plummets. Despite all that's happened in this doomed campaign that is hilarious. That is peak :xcom:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

You also generally outnumber them and always have a free turn when fighting them

At best they activate on their turn. Usually they it side of maybe one pod I get to ambush on my terms.

I roll with IESS+ on Legendary. Even with eight soldiers out numbering the enemy is an infrequent thing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Away all Goats posted:

Makes for some badass pictures though

That's loving cool. :hellyeah:

So how badly did you get murdered when it fired?

e: courtesy of a goon from FFXIV:

More badass pictures please. :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh thank god, I countered a +2 event, and just scraped by a facility lead to set it back to 75% done. XCOM (still) Lives!

Also lol gently caress you Firaxis, giving me Spy Ring on my starting continent then literally zero intel rewards for missions for all but one.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

No wonder I was having trouble keeping track of my grenadiers. I just realized both of them chose the callsign TANK. Real original, you guys :rolleyes:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh thank god, I countered a +2 event, and just scraped by a facility lead to set it back to 75% done. XCOM (still) Lives!

Also lol gently caress you Firaxis, giving me Spy Ring on my starting continent then literally zero intel rewards for missions for all but one.

Hey it could be worse.

You could be paying only :10bux: for Rookies!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pyromancer posted:

How much damage does it do, and is there any indication of what's gonna blow up? The one time I ever let it do it, the camera did its Hey-Lets-Look-Somewhere-Else-Instead thing and I didn't even see an explosion, I just got a sudden notice that my sniper was dead for some reason.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm using the Engineer2Scientist mod and I think it may be broken. It's supposed to take a scientist out of your pool when you deploy them to somewhere in your base, and affect the research times accordingly, but it doesn't seem to. I have a scientist staffed in both the AWC and the PSI lab and when I remove them both, the completion time on the current research seems to be unaffected. Am I missing something or can someone confirm this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why not ask on the mod page?

So does anyone use the cover shield on the WAR suit?

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
If I can run Enemy Within, will XCOM 2 run or will it make my laptop catch on fire?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Load times are 2x longer, but should be fine if you turn down gfx options.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunethex posted:

Hey it could be worse.

You could be paying only :10bux: for Rookies!

Lmao, I've had midnight raids nearly every month so far. Fortunately I had a lot of rookie recruitment events. Actually my continent bonuses are pretty rad so far. Spy Ring's nice except for the lack of intel available, and I've had Future Combat and the one that gives an extra upgrade slot on weapons. Geoscape-wise I'm in desperate need of cores (I need skullmine and bluescreen rounds back holy poo poo) and intel.

Also, I just got the mission to rescue my captured medic! For 105 intel! I might actually pull this out! I'm building the psi lab and shadow chambers now too. That was incredibly close.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash

SynthOrange posted:

Load times are 2x longer, but should be fine if you turn down gfx options.

Yeah. I gotta run Enemy Within on low settings. Just don't want to drop the cash if the new low will destroy my povertytop.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

Yeah. I gotta run Enemy Within on low settings. Just don't want to drop the cash if the new low will destroy my povertytop.

You might be out of luck. Maybe wait for a sale, game's expensive and may not work...

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

SynthOrange posted:

So does anyone use the cover shield on the WAR suit?

lol no. it's probably one of, if not the most, worthless skills your soldiers have access to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's perfect if you have psiops with the aura. You won't always find two close high cover slots.