Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I'd say "Batman Beyond Batmobile" but that would just involve flying over the course ignoring obstacles because it's a loving jet.

Too be fair, these course are almost F Zero course, like maybe the Beyond Batmobile has a low energy mode where it's just a hover car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mauman posted:

I must have missed something here, but why the problem with Timm?

I can't help but feel a sense of dread as to the answer, but I'm curious.

Timm is a good artist, but has a reputation for consistent, unneccessary (sometimes quite unpleasant) sexualization of all his female characters, at the expense of other activities. The Ivy/Harley concept didn't come from a place of "let's show a functional relationship"-it's not, even in AK- it came from an "ooh, lesbians" standpoint. Hence the prison shower catfights, innuendo, etc.

Timm does this a lot with his female characters, because that's ultimately what they are for him (see also: Batgirl's christmas costume change and the whole idea of Roxy Rocket before it got toned down for release). The things people like about the characters, including Harley, tend to come from other people involved on the projects, or from when he's not involved.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 1, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Too be fair, these course are almost F Zero course, like maybe the Beyond Batmobile has a low energy mode where it's just a hover car.
I'd love to see an Arkham Beyond game, but that particular universe is probably forgotten and as such bad marketing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Acne Rain posted:

on the other hand, looking at how loving cringe inducing grim and tough and gritty every rocksteady character has been (watch the loving calender man video last lp for god's sake)

Calendar Man's role in Arkham City is pulled pretty much directly from The Long Halloween, and its probably the best way to use the character after the Silver Age.

For some reason, I never really liked Tara Strong's take on Harley. Strong is a good actress, but her performance just feels a little....off? Maybe it's the writing.

Nolan North is amazing as the Penguin, its one of the best takes on the character yet..

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

anilEhilated posted:

I'd love to see an Arkham Beyond game, but that particular universe is probably forgotten and as such bad marketing.

Well a Batman Beyond skin was one of the advertised pre-order bonuses, but IIRC it was less "Skin tight bodysuit that's offputing when rendered photorealistically" and more like the Christopher Nolan batsuit on steroids.

But at least they're still aware of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OldMemes posted:

For some reason, I never really liked Tara Strong's take on Harley. Strong is a good actress, but her performance just feels a little....off? Maybe it's the writing.

death .cab for qt posted:

On an unrelated note to that, I absolutely hate Tara Strong as Harley Quinn. She gets a lot work because she's basically the female Yuri Lowenthal of voice-acting, but she can't do a cutesy voice without slipping into a stupid babyish nasally voice. It's especially bad because I had just rewatched Arkham Asylum that scruffy did a little bit ago, which featured the same actress as Batman: TAS, whereas Tara didn't get the role until Arkham City.

Seriously, jump around in the video for Asylum, where she gets nasally in places without going too squeaky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZmUTT6KKIA

And then listen to her voice at the end of the last video Scruffy just posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0__-VIyC6Qo&t=1238s

She can't turn off that super high pitched baby voice at all, and it doesn't help that it's what she does for basically every voice anyway.

It's just so, so bad when Asylum's Harley was so, so good, and even Assault on Arkham had a great Harley from what I can tell in the trailers. Why did it have to be her. :smith:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Man, the Batman Beyond skin for this game is terrible. Pretty much all the other skins are as far as I know pretty faithful recreations, but Rocksteady decided to put their own 'spin' on the Beyond suit.

What is this garbage?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A suit with a mouthguard, that's what. :colbert:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 2, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

From what I heard Arleen Sorkin was the one who wanted out, doing Harley was hard on her voice and she was already cracking at parts in Arkham City.

Veotax posted:

Man, the Batman Beyond skin for this game is terrible. Pretty much all the other skins are as far as I know pretty faithful recreations, but Rocksteady decided to put their own 'spin' on the Beyond suit.

What is this garbage?

I like it better than the Beyond suit from City, which just looked weird with Bruce's bulging musculature.

It probably shouldn't be flagged as the Batman beyond suit, but independent of that I like the design.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 2, 2016

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I wonder why they went with tank turrets being their weak points. I know, realistically speaking they appear to be just an autoloader mechanism and a rudimentary gun shield so it would make sense that they'd be more vulnerable than the presumably armoured hull but it does make the optics weak point kind of superfluous since it's located on top of an already pre-existing weak point that when hit, kills the tank just as fast.

If they had the more common in real life set up of the turret having more armour than the hull but kept the optics hole and added some kind of reward to hitting it like an emp blast from shorting electronics or something, you'd have an actual reason to shoot every part of it, the hull for a reliable kill or the turret for a more risky but also more rewarding bonus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Veotax posted:

What is this garbage?

Batman Beyond Good Taste In Character Design

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kurieg posted:

I like it better than the Beyond suit from City, which just looked weird with Bruce's bulging musculature.

Isn't that how it looked in the pilot of Beyond?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Really, any proper Beyond skin would have to replace Alfred with Grouchy Old Man Wayne as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes but in Beyond's art style you couldn't count the muscles on his torso or see the veins on his arms.

It looks more like Bruce got hit by the Venom Symbiote than he's wearing a costume, and something just seems... off, about his head, like it's slightly too big? I don't know. If I were them I would have smoothed out the muscle definition some and gotten rid of that weird hexagon pattern they've got going on too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upF7buAngDU

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 2, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm glad the Replica from F.E.A.R. were able to find new employment as Scarecrow's militia henchmen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, a proper Batman Beyond game would rock. Cyberpunk Batman? Hell, just envision a good boss fight against Inque. One of the most agile shapeshifters I've ever seen animated.

Also, they killed off Mr. Freeze, but in the best/most tragic way. :smith:

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
A little late, but I wanted to say thanks for the LP, scruffy. I enjoyed the other Arkham LPs even though I'd played the games already. This one? Apparently my controller was broken just enough that every other game worked fine but the Batmobile wouldn't get up to full speed. The opening chase sequence? Took forever since I went at about the same speed as the military vehicle. Didn't realize what was happening until I got to that first Riddler race and the Batmobile wouldn't stick to the wall, even with the afterburner.

Even after figuring out the problem, it'd really soured me on the game as a whole and I never went back. Looking forward to seeing whether that was a good decision, and what I missed either way.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Speedball posted:

Man, a proper Batman Beyond game would rock. Cyberpunk Batman? Hell, just envision a good boss fight against Inque. One of the most agile shapeshifters I've ever seen animated.

For some reason I'm imagining something similar to the Laughing Octopus fight from MGS4.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They'd need to make Inque the best boss fight in the game. I think Terry beat her on his own exactly once in the entire series.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

First time Bruce froze her, second time she got distracted by the guy she inqued, third time her daughter injected her with a solvent, fourth time Superman splattered her into chunks. So, he's beat her on his own exactly never.

That's one of the things I liked about Beyond, even though he was strong enough to benchpress an armored car, so were half of the people he fought, requiring him to think his way out of fights. Still Terry killed a lot of people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Those people fell on their own sword. Terry did nothing wrong. Dont OD on animal DNA.

A Beyond Game is worth it if we get to see Mad Stan.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Veotax posted:

What is this garbage?

Clearly, what this game needs is Nomura Batman

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would like to play a Platinum Games Batman game very much and I did not realize I had this want until just now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
S

A

M

E

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

I would like to play a Platinum Games Batman game very much and I did not realize I had this want until just now.

Really, I can't think of a series I enjoy where I would NOT enjoy a Platinum take on it.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I'd love a Batman Beyond game myself, though I imagine it would be hard to mesh Arkhams gameplay style with the abilities that the Bat-Suit in that series had (cloaking device, jet boots, etc).

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 2, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brovstin posted:

I'd love a Batman Beyond game myself, though I imagine It would be hard to mesh Arkhams gameplay style with the abilities that the Bat-Suit in that series had (cloaking device, jet boots, etc).

CJacobs posted:

Platinum Games

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Platinum Games
Good point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

First time Bruce froze her, second time she got distracted by the guy she inqued, third time her daughter injected her with a solvent, fourth time Superman splattered her into chunks. So, he's beat her on his own exactly never.

That's one of the things I liked about Beyond, even though he was strong enough to benchpress an armored car, so were half of the people he fought, requiring him to think his way out of fights. Still Terry killed a lot of people.

The second time around he beat Inque. Aaron happened to be there, though, so he got the Electric Batarang out of her before Terry could apprehend her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHf79BhJ7gc

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I'm one of the "lucky" PC guys - Lucky in that I heard about all the problems with the PC version before I wasted my money (A lesson learned from the last MK game).

I had heard about the major plot spoiler, but wasn't too disappointed that I couldn't play this game.

And then I saw the themed vehicle races.

Are there actual themed Bat-costumes to go with the Batmobiles?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

Are there actual themed Bat-costumes to go with the Batmobiles?

Why yes. Yes there are. I'll take some screenshots and post them with the next update.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Stop getting me excited about things that will probably never happen you jerks! :argh:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The Bat-Curse of ACE Chemicals/Polsy

New profiles: Arkham Knight

Race 3: 2008 - Ashes/Polsy

Behold! The title drop! Also uhh the 2008 tracks are kinda meh. 1966 and 1989 for life.

Here's a bunch of shots from the showcase, where it points out that some Batmobiles can't be used in story mode since you have to be able to go into tank mode. That also applies to the 2008 Tumbler, which doesn't have a tank mode. Despite looking like it really should. Also I got a screenshot of the BATMAN VS SUPERMAN SKIN which is the 2016 one.

1966 Batman
1966 Robin
1966 Catwoman
1966 Combat Batmobile
1966 Race Batmobile
1989 Batman
1989 Race Batmobile
2016 Batman
Classic Harley

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 2, 2016

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

dscruffy1 posted:

Behold! The title drop! Also uhh the 2008 tracks are kinda meh. 1966 and 1989 for life.

Really? I was actually just going to say that I really liked that the track had you bowling through poo poo and breaking through walls because the Tumbler is more of a tank than other Batmobiles. It just feels more powerful.

And we also now see why Scarecrow let everyone evacuate - because it doesn't matter. He's got enough fear gas to bomb the whole eastern seaboard so there's nowhere for them to run anyway and getting everyone out of the city makes it that much easier for him to take it over. Scarecrow's plan is actually really good and it's probably the one good part of the story.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

And we also now see why Scarecrow let everyone evacuate - because it doesn't matter. He's got enough fear gas to bomb the whole eastern seaboard so there's nowhere for them to run anyway and getting everyone out of the city makes it that much easier for him to take it over. Scarecrow's plan is actually really good and it's probably the one good part of the story.

If Gotham hadn't given into its fear of a weapon, it wouldn't be under attack by a weapon... I like it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

Really? I was actually just going to say that I really liked that the track had you bowling through poo poo and breaking through walls because the Tumbler is more of a tank than other Batmobiles. It just feels more powerful.

It might be that I didn't like the 2008 movies as much. Not to mention the music cue of "just keep playing violins frantically" pales in comparison to the other two. There's nothing wrong with the racetrack itself and slamming through stuff is great! But I feel like the other two packs work better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It says something that the 1966 Catwoman looks better than the Arkhamverse one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's good to see you, classic Harley. Looking a bit shiny, but I'll take it over generic gothy punky makeup means it's a clown, right? Harley.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speedball posted:

If Gotham hadn't given into its fear of a weapon, it wouldn't be under attack by a weapon... I like it.

Scarecrow's good at plans like there. There was a DCAU tie-in comic where Scarecrow announces to Gotham that he's going to unleash a fear gas that will send everyone into a panic. Not long after, everyone goes into a panic while Batman and Robin go around in gas masks trying to figure out how he's released the new strain.

Of course, as it turns out, there is no new strain. Just telling people that he was going to do it was what sent them into a panic in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Arkham Knight clearly knows details about Batman's equipment -- weaknesses in his armor, expected weaponry on the Batmobile, etc. This suggests he's a former "inside friend" either turned traitor or mind-controlled (so hey, there's an in for Poison Ivy, right? Or the Mad Hatter! :v:). A former Robin seems likely.

Part of me really wants him to be Batman's mechanic from that one TAS episode. Too bad Lucius Fox seems to be covering that role in this series.

• Locked thread