Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Laser sensors used to all have acceleration, not because of anything inherent to laser tracking but just a defect in the sensors that were available for a long time. I don't know if they still have this problem, and some optical mice have acceleration issues, but there will always be a bias against laser mice for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Would there be interest in quantified sensor acceleration data? I have access to very accurate linear motion devices and could probably store mouse output at different travel rates and pull accel from there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

henne posted:

Would there be interest in quantified sensor acceleration data? I have access to very accurate linear motion devices and could probably store mouse output at different travel rates and pull accel from there.

I'd be very interested purely from a data nerd perspective. You can never have too much hard data, especially when it comes to things like input devices that people love to argue about on the internet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

wolrah posted:

I'd be very interested purely from a data nerd perspective. You can never have too much hard data, especially when it comes to things like input devices that people love to argue about on the internet.

same.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
When things calm down at work a bit I'll try to see if I can make it work. I really just need to figure out how to hold the mouse.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

henne posted:

This would be very cool

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The hard part will be getting a bunch of different mice to compare. The only other hard data I've heard of used mice held in place over a high-speed adjustable-speed turntable. It was good for measuring tracking precision and max speed but didn't accelerate anything like a human would.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Actually, thinking about, it most people care more about whether there is acceleration or not, not the magnitude of acceleration. Detecting the presence of acceleration is easy enough (do a slow motion across mousepad and swipe quickly back. If you don't end up in the same place, there is acceleration) so I don't know how useful a mechanical test would be.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
With quantified acceleration curves it's possible to compensate in software. I figured if it works I'd ask for people to send me mice to test and I'd send them back when done.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kaschei posted:

Actually, thinking about, it most people care more about whether there is acceleration or not, not the magnitude of acceleration. Detecting the presence of acceleration is easy enough (do a slow motion across mousepad and swipe quickly back. If you don't end up in the same place, there is acceleration) so I don't know how useful a mechanical test would be.

It would be more accurate than a human hand for a robot to go .5x speed one way, and 4x speed the other, especially on different mouse pad surfaces.

The ideal setup would be to do the above test, and a drawing test at a couple speeds, for any mouse on bare bench material, a "grippy" and "smooth" mouse pad, both in soft and hard varieties; that way we can begin to quantify the qualities people argue about.

Plus I wanna see wonky robot-performed mouse drawn line art, or even silly stuff like a combined test, where it draws a complex image at different speeds.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The only data I'd care about is "<5% acceleration up to X m/s²"

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

henne posted:

With quantified acceleration curves it's possible to compensate in software. I figured if it works I'd ask for people to send me mice to test and I'd send them back when done.

I can send you a SteelSeries Rival and possibly a G400.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kaschei posted:

The only data I'd care about is "<5% acceleration up to X m/s²"

I want robot drawn dickbutts on a chart for which mouse draws it most accurately.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fractal dickbutts resolving power (FDRP) the best mouse statistic

(http://imgur.com/gallery/DFDL8E2)

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Drawing dickbut as a test would be totally possible and a deviation analysis wouldn't be too bad.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I have not one, but TWO Logitech Performance MX mice (long story) and they're both getting up there in age. The silver trim's pitted, the rubber's flaking off, the feet are halfway worn out and they've gone through numerous attempts to correct double-clicking and mushy click feel issues (by scavenging contacts from similar Omron switches). I think it's well past time for a new mouse.

I want something with the same size and feel as my MX. Any suggestions? It doesn't matter whether it's wireless or not.

EDIT: This, perhaps? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03TU0992

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 3, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay so my MX518 G400 is in the process of dying, am I really stuck with the G502 at this point? Also what the gently caress is a Proteus Core?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just get the G502. You'll love it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I was doing more research on mice but then my middle mouse button stuck down yet again and so I am now the proud owner of an order for a G502. I will spend the weekend right clicking->new tab like some kind of goddamned caveman.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I have not one, but TWO Logitech Performance MX mice (long story) and they're both getting up there in age. The silver trim's pitted, the rubber's flaking off, the feet are halfway worn out and they've gone through numerous attempts to correct double-clicking and mushy click feel issues (by scavenging contacts from similar Omron switches). I think it's well past time for a new mouse.

I want something with the same size and feel as my MX. Any suggestions? It doesn't matter whether it's wireless or not.

EDIT: This, perhaps? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03TU0992

The MX Performance 2, perhaps? It's like the MX Performance and has the added benefit of 2 (or 3?) Bluetooth profiles.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can't 'get' the overlap between the G502 and the G602. Why do both of these Products exist, Logitech?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shockeh posted:

I can't 'get' the overlap between the G502 and the G602. Why do both of these Products exist, Logitech?
Uh... the 502 is wired and the 602 is wireless.

Also the 602 has a bunch of thumb buttons for MMOs.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Just popping in to express my amazement at the 602s battery life. I had a battery charger on my desk I'd use to hot swap my g700 battery daily. Now I can't even remember how long the charger has been unplugged for.

I still prefer the g700 shape, button layout and mousewheel but despite that this is fantastic.

LGS profile fuckery hasn't reared its head since I last posted about it as well!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Josh Lyman posted:

Uh... the 502 is wired and the 602 is wireless.

Also the 602 has a bunch of thumb buttons for MMOs.

Like I said. Why wouldn't you make one, with the option for a cable.

Anyway, I'm basically agonising over it - I've used about 4 Intellimouse v3's, and I finally have a bit of desk space and want to get a good gaming mouse. Most are just too busy for me, I don't need a zillion buttons.
E: Oh, I use a Palm grip and have actual man hands, not the girly babby fingers that apparently some mice are designed for. Hence the attachment over the years to Intellimouse.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Get a Naos 7000 instead then. Less buttons, lighter weight, little more width to it.

Or a Castor, same idea with a slightly different shape.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 5, 2016

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Anyway, I'm basically agonising over it - I've used about 4 Intellimouse v3's, and I finally have a bit of desk space and want to get a good gaming mouse. Most are just too busy for me, I don't need a zillion buttons.
E: Oh, I use a Palm grip and have actual man hands, not the girly babby fingers that apparently some mice are designed for. Hence the attachment over the years to Intellimouse.

the 502 and 602 have a very different shape and are aimed at a different segment of the market (mountain dew guzzling shooter players who want low latency and precise sensors for 360 trickshots vs kayboard-with-ashtray mmo players who just want a ton of mouse buttons to avoid the shortness of breath that comes from the exertion of reaching over the keyboard)

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 5, 2016

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I caved about a week after my last post and bought myself a G502. I use it every day and it's hands down the best mouse I've ever owned. The default settings for the extra buttons are a bit poo poo, in my opinion, but it takes like 2 seconds to set it up how you want with the logitech software.

My wife has since added one weight to it, she finds it more comfortable for her. I haven't bothered, it's great as is.

If anyone cares, here's my review.
http://digitalfleshwound.com/2016/01/20/g502review/

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The annoying thing I've found with the G502 is the mouse feet love to attract every little spec of dust on your mousepad and the hatch for the weights requires you to make sure they're pressed in there very securely.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Shockeh posted:

Why would somebody who is going to only use wired want to pay for wireless? Also like people said they are in fact differently shaped, and tons of buttons appeals to a whole different type of person. Most people that don't expect to use tons of buttons don't want them on there. It's good to have choices available for different preferences.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any words on the Roccat Nyth? Currently have a G400S and I enjoy the optical sensor, but those customisable side buttons seem really useful to me. How is the Nyth sensor in comparison? I usually just use my mouse on a bare desk but might get a desk pad soon.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't have any personal experience with the Nyth. I think it's a recent twineye sensor in there, which is the thing to use as far as laser mice go, but has the same minor issues that any laser does (added cost for uselessly high DPI, kind of picky about surface). The weird left/right switch in the middle is pretty useless I hear, but it's not like you have a shortage of buttons on that thing.

I have used the Kone Pure Military and the (new version of the) Kova. I really like both of those and would recommend the new Kova in particular if you only need a couple extra buttons instead of a dozen. The mousewheel on it works very well as a button so it basically has 5 easily accessible buttons + scroll across the top, plus one more that you have to reach back for, and the 2(+2 opposite) side buttons. I find it works great for stuff like Overwatch or League or whatever where having a few extra things on the mouse is really useful, but you don't need an MMO worth of buttons. While it's not an ergo it is long enough that I think it's decent for palm grip (and also works well for claw, probably not great for fingertip).

In general the recent Roccats are good mice; work well, have solid build quality, are reasonably reliable, not too many firmware issues and the problems that have happened mostly got patched quickly, etc.

breaks fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 8, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've had a G700 for maybe 5 years and I'm occasionally getting this thing where I can't hold down left click long. Dragging files around Windows or trying to hold down auto fire on a gun, it just unclicks itself or something. I saw some people talking about this online and there wasn't really a fix. Anyone know anything? Almost makes me want a new mouse, but I know this is supposed to be a good one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't know if this is a mouse problem or a Windows 10 problem (or maybe even a wow problem?), but I have a Logitech G600 MMO mouse and on this new Windows 10 installation I can't get it to work the way it used to. I have the g-shift button mapped to control, and in wow I have eg a ctrl-1 hotkey. If I hold down both left and right mouse buttons this moves me forward as long as I hold it down. In my old Windows 8 installation using the exact same mouse I was able to hold down both left/right buttons to move forward, and at the same time I was able to hit the g-shift button and press 1 on the number pad on the mouse to activate my ctrl-1 hotkey. Right now in this new Windows 10 installation if I'm holding down left/right to move forward the game doesn't recognize that I'm pressing the g-shift button so I can see from my UI that the game thinks I'm trying to just push my '1' hotkey.

Is there something wrong with the mouse drivers for Windows 10 or something that it doesn't recognize this combination of keys being pressed?

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

KingKapalone posted:

I've had a G700 for maybe 5 years and I'm occasionally getting this thing where I can't hold down left click long. Dragging files around Windows or trying to hold down auto fire on a gun, it just unclicks itself or something. I saw some people talking about this online and there wasn't really a fix. Anyone know anything? Almost makes me want a new mouse, but I know this is supposed to be a good one.

It's because your microswitches have started to go bad. If you're not already experiencing it, you'll also probably see the double-click problem very soon. There's sadly no software fix, but there are two things you can do, and both involve opening the mouse up.

There's already a decent write up on how to open the G700 here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Logitech+Wireless+Gaming+Mouse+G700+Mouse+buttons/27326
You need a tiny cross screwdriver, and should probably order some new teflon feet for the mouse since there's a good chance you'll ruin them. The feet go for like $3 on eBay.

The best solution would involve a bit of soldering: completely disassemble the mouse, and unsolder the microswitches, which are the small black devices with a small white button at the top to either side of the wheel in this picture:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/vTqkFLHJKWOTXYbl.medium
After that, solder some new ones back. Some people have apparently done this and it works, but I didn't do it personally.

A partial fix is to add some material to the bottom of the mouse button so as to increase the force the mouse button applies to the white button on the microswitch. There's a good image of the bottom of the mouse buttons here:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/tLVFar2PTjXD2BDX.medium
The square thingies are what makes contact with the microswitch. Get some electrical tape, cut it to the size of the squares and glue it to them. Put your mouse back together and see if the problem is any better. If not, try adding one more layer of tape.
This probably won't work forever and you'll have to buy a new mouse at some point since yours is out of warranty, but it might hold for a couple of months.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Backyarr posted:

The best solution would involve a bit of soldering: completely disassemble the mouse, and unsolder the microswitches, which are the small black devices with a small white button at the top to either side of the wheel in this picture:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/vTqkFLHJKWOTXYbl.medium
After that, solder some new ones back. Some people have apparently done this and it works, but I didn't do it personally.

I'd try to clean the existing microswitch's internal contacts before doing this because there's something like an array of 12 or 14 metal pins that connect the upper and lower boards, and which are all soldered in in close proximity, and without the right tool, it's non trivial to completely desolder all of these and get the entire upper board free, which you must do to get the needed access to remove the switches. Also, it means removing the mouse wheel, which if you were to do, you should be made aware that a) it comes out in one piece by removing a single plastic pin on the upper back of it, and b) there are two tiny springs that are important and that you should keep track of, which are contained in plastic divots under the front side of the mouse wheel's clear plastic enclosure. I guess you can see some of what is involved here.

I have prolonged the life of my G700 by cracking the sucker open and doing work on it, I've only removed the upper PCB the one time and I don't think it was a good idea even then, so if the existing switches are salvageable I would always suggest trying that first. It looks like frankenstein's monster inside, I should probably take a picture of it some day.

(Honestly one of the most impressive things about it is that it still has that old logitech logo on it, clear, proud and undamaged; never seen a logo stand up to every day use like this one.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
My G602 has started to go bad -- likely the microswitches, getting random button not holding and multiple click issues. I've had it for only 2 years, too.

It should still be under warranty, but the problem is I don't have the slightest clue where I bought it, and I don't seem to have registered it on Logitech's website either. I sadly haven't mentioned this in this thread back when I purchased it. I guess with this little information, there is zero chance of getting an RMA? I heard Logitech's RMA service is actually asking for proof of purchase now.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Mastigophoran posted:

I'd try to clean the existing microswitch's internal contacts before doing this because there's something like an array of 12 or 14 metal pins that connect the upper and lower boards, and which are all soldered in in close proximity, and without the right tool, it's non trivial to completely desolder all of these and get the entire upper board free, which you must do to get the needed access to remove the switches.
Yup, it's a bitch to do, which is why I still haven't gotten around to repairing my old G700 with something more permanent than the electrical tape method. I've never heard of a way of cleaning the internal contacts of a microswitch, so I searched around a bit and found this:
http://www.redferret.net/?p=31008

Do you think this method would work? The switches look to be identical but I could be wrong.

Also, that picture of the insides of your mouse sounds appealing, please do it!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jan posted:

My G602 has started to go bad -- likely the microswitches, getting random button not holding and multiple click issues. I've had it for only 2 years, too.

It should still be under warranty, but the problem is I don't have the slightest clue where I bought it, and I don't seem to have registered it on Logitech's website either. I sadly haven't mentioned this in this thread back when I purchased it. I guess with this little information, there is zero chance of getting an RMA? I heard Logitech's RMA service is actually asking for proof of purchase now.

Check your email archive maybe you bought it online? I just searched through mine and I did an RMA on 4/2015 and from what I remember it was incredibly easy and not a hassle at all. I don't remember if I even has to submit proof or if I just said "I bought it on x date from y website." It's worth a shot?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I have a logitech whatever the gently caress was popular like 4 years ago and it's decided to start dying (constantly disconnects and reconnects). Should I just buy a G502 to replace it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bakalakadaka posted:

I have a logitech whatever the gently caress was popular like 4 years ago and it's decided to start dying (constantly disconnects and reconnects). Should I just buy a G502 to replace it?

Probably, I got one for xmas and they're really good.