Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Risc1911 posted:

Hey everyone, CIG exile here.

Name has been changed to protect the innocent from the stimperor. Lowtax was generous enough to give me an account so i will be spreading dissent against Croberts from here now.

I was really impressed by some of the Art that was posted and i started to make my own series of Book covers.

Here is one of them, i got more but i don't want to blow all of my load on our first date.

This is a good first post.

Welcome commando o7

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

orcinus posted:

Interestingly, the exact opposite sequence is a viable thing.
You can use a laser to trigger a Z-pinch, creating an extremely strong X-ray burst, that initiates a thermonuclear reaction in a target.

Few pages back, but how would this work? Im writing scifi and that sounds awesome :D

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

peter gabriel posted:

I can't play star citizen any more it is just too poo poo

NOOOOO...You have to keep making the videos that I laugh my arse off to.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I am feeling grief

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Turd Burglar posted:

It was probably money that threatened to leave and sandi was forced to take out the tap dancing clause in his contract

I don't know - he doesn't seem high profile enough (although he's on a lot of the shows). Ben would never leave. I'm sure of it. Mrs.Ben though...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Risc1911 posted:

Name has been changed to protect the innocent from the stimperor. Lowtax was generous enough to give me an account so i will be spreading dissent against Croberts from here now.

I was really impressed by some of the Art that was posted and i started to make my own series of Book covers.

Here is one of them, i got more but i don't want to blow all of my load on our first date.

What made you sign up?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Risc1911 posted:

Welcome...what was the final straw for you?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still shake my head when I hear client performance is completely dependent on the server not taking a poo poo and the server is always taking a poo poo. Its like ARMA 3 Life mods, but somehow worse since those can have like 3 times the players and have a poo poo ton more things to do.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

They won :negative:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Risc1911 posted:

welcome, excellent first post

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Pgabz go play a fun game for a bit, something that you can actually enjoy instead of endure.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Pfffff... leaver.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'm curious. And this would also further support the claims of being OPEN DEVELOPMENT. You'd not be the first to do so. But among the forerunners, erm. early adopters uhm whatever. (Space/Medieval Engineers does the same).

Flight Controller for Solar Plebeian: http://pastebin.com/feiDi227

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

So how worse did this game get?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Derek once again humbling the shitizens with his superior googling skills.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I cannot let that happen.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Uncle Derek once again humbling the shitizens with his superior googling skills.

how dare derek smart post completely public information that is morally reprehensible and the spectre of doxxing looms large over his actions

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I like your new av mr hoedown sheriff cat

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

It is ok friend you have fought your war.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Okay, who is taking up the Pgabz mantle? Because we must have more videos.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

Okay, who is taking up the Pgabz mantle? Because we must have more videos.

I heard that Dolvak has some free time now.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

MeLKoR posted:

Look into your heart, what does it tell you?

what is love. Dont hurt me, dont hurt me, no more.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Samizdata posted:

This is why I am more a fan of the particle weapon idea, frankly, even if it does require energy AND ammo/feedstock. Or rail guns.

Oh yeah, flinging poo poo is a lot easier for our level of tech. Plus, rail guns are cool.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think until I get in the new build I should maybe give it a rest, or go find something else to do.
What are the chances of meeting another commando in that other station? If the chance is high I'll try it now and make people feel some grief

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

Yes, the diabolical "search and see if someone is using the same name on Twitter" maneuver.

It should be noted that CIG is equally guilty of such heinous actions...

THOSE MONSTERS.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I think until I get in the new build I should maybe give it a rest, or go find something else to do.
What are the chances of meeting another commando in that other station? If the chance is high I'll try it now and make people feel some grief

Another commando as in any old player or a super secret undercover goon? Because currently even though there's no party join it's entirely possible to sync-drop and get in the same instance, and frequently possible to see an instance someone on your friends list has joined and drop in to that, if you're quick enough.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

xanif posted:

Posting from the past but this is not true. The electrons aren't leaving the flashlight, they are moving from one terminal to the other. The only way the flash light could lose mass, and thereby weight, would be if the tungsten (I am assuming an incandescent flashlight) is exposed to atmosphere and thus loses mass to atmosphere while heating. Tungsten enclosed in a glass bulb would not lose mass to atmosphere.

What you're saying is the equivalent of "Does a 2 pound box weigh more on the ceiling or the floor? It weighs less on the floor because it has less potential energy."

Now, if the flashlight were nuclear powered that would be a different story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo232kyTsO0&t=3m29s

You can actually do the calculations and figure out exactly how much mass is lost, but yes, you are losing mass. This is something about General Relativity that a lot of people are unclear on. There's a series of videos that'll walk you though this on the PBS channel.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Actually doing it in real life requires a dedicated team of engineers (gently caress physicists, they're the reason we got into this mess in the first place), specialized code, and vast quantities of control software to handle all of the minute adjustments. Just look at how much effort it's taken SpaceX to get their relatively simple dongship to do the (amazing) things that it does. Starting off with a piece of concept art and expecting the loving thing to fly is a recipe for disaster and a perfect example of CIG's hubris at the highest level. Toops if you found a way to incorporate modifications to your values based on the damage dealt to the ship (so if a thruster gets blown off it would reduce thrust/torque/etc) it would pretty much be everything people want.

Totally agree with your post. The most amazing thing is, even if you do the impossible and execute mensa-level genius code to do this kind of physics sim, it has no net effect because it's a loving GAME!

Bolded bit: I already have collision and damage systems working, it would take me maybe an hour to just add thrust dampening to a particular axis that's "damaged." I specifically designed the flight model to be flexible and generic, so I wouldn't have to spend 3 weeks ripping apart whatever node/graph force/mass abomination they have going over there.

There's an adage I learned the hard way a long time ago: Clever code is bad code.

Complexity is your enemy. And I honestly believe the technical side of SC just flat isn't feasible unless they either cheat or completely cut features.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Another commando as in any old player or a super secret undercover goon? Because currently even though there's no party join it's entirely possible to sync-drop and get in the same instance, and frequently possible to see an instance someone on your friends list has joined and drop in to that, if you're quick enough.

I just mean like another person, no one in particular - someone to PVP ACTION with against.
I am happy to go there and see what's up, but not if it means me standing around looking at cryengine for an hour on my own

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I just mean like another person, no one in particular - someone to PVP ACTION with against.
I am happy to go there and see what's up, but not if it means me standing around looking at cryengine for an hour on my own

Hmm... I pop on every now and then and usually don't have a problem finding people to make feel grief. Servers usually fill up pretty quick in my experience.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Turd Burglar posted:

Did you get a refund

For those asking, no I haven't gone for a refund. I have gifted two of the ships away. The rest I'll sell off, but I don't want to lose my account and get banned. I did give up on SC, though I still post on occasion. Plus, I like catte pics.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Toops posted:

It's nice to see refactoring being used appropriately in your comments. It pains me to see the way CIG and Star Citizens use the term.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Another day, another patch.

There's yet another fix for that rifle.

Wait, they're still trying to fix the doors in the Million Mile High Club? Hasn't this been an issue for... at least half a year?

Toops posted:

//fuckingStupid30SecWakeup.anim.Start()

That actually made me honest to god laugh out loud.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

This is why I am more a fan of the particle weapon idea, frankly, even if it does require energy AND ammo/feedstock. Or rail guns.

Maybe the energy IS the ammo - think 'futuristic disposable fuel cell type thing'

But fuckit. I'm not providing CIG with handwavium explanations for their lore for free. I have other great ideas, but if CIG are interested, they can PM me, and we'll discuss a 'consultant' role, with my exhorbitant fee being paid into my account in the Cayman Islands.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

LowellDND posted:

Few pages back, but how would this work? Im writing scifi and that sounds awesome :D

I don't know the specifics beyond the vague idea and i think it's purely experimental and not very useful outside of an experimental environment.
But the general idea (i think) is this - you ignite a plasma using lasers and conduct a burst of electrons (extremely high current, extremely short time) through it.
The current induces an extremely strong magnetic field Z-pinching (imploding) the plasma.
The imploding plasma lets out an intense burst of X-ray photons.
X-ray wavelength photons bombard a (suitable) target, initiating a thermonuclear reaction.

e: Try hunting around teh googles for articles relating to this - http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=6781426

e2: Please pardon any/all nonsense in the above post. I've been staring at lovely code and drinking Nikka Red for the past hour.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 2, 2016

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015

Lmao Ohh dear I can just see this memo being sent out from Stimpire HQ now

Q Ben to come in and patronise the very people who pay his wages and then instruction will be passed down to one of the minion mods the lock it and bury it away . Next morning CIG Kraiklyn will receive a email from mein fuhrer saying posting privileges have been removed . RoadMaps = Accountability and we all know that that word scares the stimpire to there very core its like what sunlight is to a vampire

I firmly believe after having spent 3 years in CIG forms that they have a number of paid plants in the forum who are family and other invested party's of some of the devs and upper management .You always see the same faces show up when any probing question is asked and you always see the same patronising response that is designed to try and bait the poster in to a rage post and thus making it easy to ban + lock the topic.

Its like they monitor the forum 24/7 and any sign of a fire get there bullshit hose out and spay all over it .Its the same plebs/plants that post comments under each update ie First are sweet are some other brain dead dribble

moonraker fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 2, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Toops posted:

You mentioned rounding errors making stoping hard. Did you try using doubles instead of floats to store the information? And only casting them as floats very needed. This would also net you the claim to "double precision" :).

From: http://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/25-floating-point-numbers/ (it's C++, but I guess floating points can be a pain in the rear end)

quote:

Rounding errors can have unexpected consequences:
code:
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip> // for std::setprecision()

int main()
{
    std::cout << std::setprecision(17);

double d1(1.0);
    std::cout << d1 << std::endl;

double d2(0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1 + 0.1); // should equal 1.0
    std::cout << d2 << std::endl;
}

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

moonraker posted:

Its like they monitor the forum 24/7 and any sign of a fire get there bullshit hose out and spay all over it .Its the same plebs/plants that post comments under each update ie First are sweet are some other brain dead dribble

You can bet your sweet rear end they monitor that fan fiction forum 24/7. :)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Calling the bigtime leaver EightAce was hinting at to be Tony Zurovec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

moonraker posted:

I firmly believe after having spent 3 years in CIG forms that they have a number of paid plants in the forum who are family and other invested party's of some of the devs and upper management .You always see the same faces show up when any probing question is asked and you always see the same patronising response that is designed to try and bait the poster in to a rage post and thus making it easy to ban + lock the topic.

Could you please name some of the accounts you think are paid plants?

• Locked thread