Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Subjunctive posted:

Can I ask what province you went to school in? I didn't think college degrees went that far back in Ontario, at least.

Alberta.

cash crab posted:

Was this in Mount Royal?

Indeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Hooo boy. Maybe not the best thing to admit to on Facebook.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

subpar anachronism posted:

I don't for a minute think he's literate enough to have authored this but it's stupid regardless. Watch out, cash crab, Trump is coming for you.

Except, in this analogy, he invites the guy to live in his house for four years, and make all his decisions for him.

A better analogy would probably be "The guy you hired to get rid of your raccoons started screaming about the Mexican family next door and tried to poison them instead, then stole all your money."

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Probably not, he is using raccoons to mean both democrats and "left wing republicans"

I thought he was referring to immigrants.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

trapped mouse posted:

Hooo boy. Maybe not the best thing to admit to on Facebook.

Is it implied elsewhere that he actually double-voted? My first impression was that this is the second time he's been old enough to vote.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

LordSaturn posted:

Is it implied elsewhere that he actually double-voted? My first impression was that this is the second time he's been old enough to vote.

"Someone said it couldn't be done" sort of implies that.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

LordSaturn posted:

Considering this is only a primary and my state has had a couple of special elections for senate, he's certainly been old enough to vote a few times. It was the "Some said it couldn't be done" that got me questioning.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

So I scrolled down to the comments, and found this little cherry on top of the shitcake:
https://thedissolve.com/news/5185-our-favorite-ornery-interviews/#comment-1929690801

Ahahaha

The interviewer posted:

We conducted the interview via fax (at his insistence) and in our first couple of exchanges, he scripted a LOT of material for me. When I kicked back over him writing words with my name on them, he grudgingly backed down and let me write my own questions, but insisted on leaving in that one exchange. Since it was so much less of a big deal than some of the other things he initially asked for (like agreeing to publish a 40,000-word interview with him, unedited, over the course of several issues of the paper, or nixing the interview and instead publishing a "comedy piece" he wrote in which I played Cerebus Jeopardy by coming up with questions in response to his answers) I let it slide.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

SpacePig posted:

"Someone said it couldn't be done" sort of implies that.
It would also apply if the dude was just a slacker that got called out for thinking his terrible political opinions are worth sharing because he voted once before.

edit: but yeah, I'm more leaning towards the double-voting thing because people rarely shy from sharing their idiocy online

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Mar 1, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This is why voter ID laws are so important.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Pfft... why doesn't he have 2 stickers then?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Krispy Kareem posted:

This is why voter ID laws are so important.

But he's white?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

mng posted:

But he's white?

Like everyone who has been documented committing voter fraud in the last decade, yeah.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Goosed it. posted:

But here have some IOSM posted by my former aunt. She posts a lot of ridiculous stuff unironically, including an info graphic called "the truth about kale!"

Fuckin' brassica truthers!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Like everyone who has been documented committing voter fraud in the last decade, yeah.

oh yeah

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Nah, I think he's just a regular idiot who doesn't vote. It's funny that you guys are more willing to jump to double-voting than him being part of one of the least likely to vote demographics.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

So a group of people on my fb feed are freaking out over the fact that Idris Elba will play Roland in the Dark Tower adaptation (no picture since it's not in English anyway). Since I haven't read the books, is there a rational reason why Roland needs to be white or are these people just massive pricks?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

So a group of people on my fb feed are freaking out over the fact that Idris Elba will play Roland in the Dark Tower adaptation (no picture since it's not in English anyway). Since I haven't read the books, is there a rational reason why Roland needs to be white or are these people just massive pricks?

In all the art and descriptions, Roland is a kinda tanned white Western dude so I can see why people might be upset that it isn't being kept with the stories. On the other hand it doesn't really matter and it doesn't mean those people aren't massive pricks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Scathach posted:

In all the art and descriptions, Roland is a kinda tanned white Western dude. That doesn't mean those people aren't massive pricks, though.

Well yeah, I meant as in, is his race important to the story, which I'm guessing is not.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well yeah, I meant as in, is his race important to the story, which I'm guessing is not.

Not in the slightest.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well it will be weird seeing a black dude and a Mexican chick banging as underage teenagers but if that's what yall want to see so much go ahead

E: make Roland an effeminate Frenchman imo

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

It isn't. It's implied or outright stated (I can't remember, it's been forever since I read the books) that Roland's lineage is Arthurian, which would mean a sort of European ancestry, but neither can I remember his skin being described as white, though it probably was. Either way his race in not an important footnote, and honestly since the choice of actor is so different from what I envisioned I'm more interested than I would be with some Daniel Craig-esque image.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Mar 2, 2016

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Agreed, race mixing is a sin unto Jesus.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Electrical Fire posted:

Agreed, race mixing is a sin unto Jesus.

All I know is that I will be dead in a couple decades. Doesn’t matter how perfect the society will be for my hypothetical descendants; I will be just as deceased.

I have suffered the torment of multiculturalism each and every day that I have been alive; I had to suffer through this hell of diversity my entire life. And now I am supposed to preserve the very race that allowed this nightmare to come into existence. gently caress them, gently caress them.

Any culture that denies its own tradition truly deserves to die out.

The penalty for liberalism is racial suicide. The end result of tolerance is cultural devastation. Since the European leftists caused the destruction of their very own Western heritage, then the Caucasian race simply deserves to go extinct. If the citizens of America elect a leader like Barack Hussein Obama, then the nation is not worthy of being preserved. You can’t be feeling sorry for illegal immigrants and, at the same time, still expect to have a home for your future grandchildren.

Any race that allowed progressivism to come into fruition doesn’t deserve to be saved. As you sow, so shall you reap.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

racism is bugshit nuts, news at eleven

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Do you remember when Rue in the Hunger Games, who is described as black, was played by a black actress? (I can only find screenshots with a filter on them, I am sorry)

"I had to look at a black person abloo bloo bloo"

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

"We weren't the FIRST country to have slaves, so honestly white people should be getting awards for ending slavery."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kiebland posted:

"We weren't the FIRST country to have slaves, so honestly white people should be getting awards for ending slavery."

This is like congratulating yourself for hitting someone, and then not hitting them a second time.

e: Except in this case, they didn't so much stop, but yeah.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
In the feeblest of defenses of the Elba naysayers, there is a character who is a black woman with a split personality, and her other personality is extremely distrustful of white people; her growing to accept and cooperate with Roland and Eddie is part of her character arc. However, that whole angle of the story is kind of embarrassing, and getting dangerously close to the 'magical negro' trope, which King has had problems with in other places, so any changes to it would probably be for the better.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lamprey Cannon posted:

In the feeblest of defenses of the Elba naysayers, there is a character who is a black woman with a split personality, and her other personality is extremely distrustful of white people; her growing to accept and cooperate with Roland and Eddie is part of her character arc. However, that whole angle of the story is kind of embarrassing, and getting dangerously close to the 'magical negro' trope, which King has had problems with in other places, so any changes to it would probably be for the better.

I completely forgot about that.

Really, I completely forgot about most of what happens outside of the first book and Wizard and Glass, the latter which, having not read the books since ca. 2001-5, I am going to call the best of the series.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

CommonShore posted:

I completely forgot about that.

Really, I completely forgot about most of what happens outside of the first book and Wizard and Glass, the latter which, having not read the books since ca. 2001-5, I am going to call the best of the series.

Having not read the series (except the new one) since 2005 either, I'm going to go ahead and say that Wizard and Glass was the worst for reasons I forgot a decade ago, and The Waste Land was the best.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Having not read the series (except the new one) since 2005 either, I'm going to go ahead and say that Wizard and Glass was the worst for reasons I forgot a decade ago, and The Waste Land was the best.

A good friend of mine hated W&G because it was a side story/flashback. I thought that the side story was more interesting and better paced than the main story.

The Waste Land was good, too.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Lamprey Cannon posted:

This was pretty much what I was going to post. But I'm pretty excited Idris Elba is in it, so I don't really care about this character arc that can be very easily rewritten.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Most of the scenes with this character are incredibly embarrassing to read and I hope they re-write her completely. I don't know if anyone still cares about spoilers for a series older than dirt at this point, but she also gets some of the worst bits of the story what with being knocked up by a demon ghost that spent half the series just carting around roland's increasingly stale cum. Then spending the rest of the series obsessing over the baby, which proceeded to do nothing for the story at all. :shepface: It's also worth mentioning she has no legs I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kiebland posted:

Today, I heard from the CEO at work that the slaves were better off being enslaved because it got them out of Africa and let their descendants grow up in a first-world country.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I don't think it's physically possible for notch to get any more pathetic, at this point

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Duey posted:

This was pretty much what I was going to post. But I'm pretty excited Idris Elba is in it, so I don't really care about this character arc that can be very easily rewritten.

Yeah. The point of those scenes where she's raving at him and Eddie are frothing hatred and distrust, not the race angle. They can adapt it and just have her say different ugly poo poo to him.

He's also described as having piercing blue eyes but eh. Elba has an intense as gently caress gaze so it works.

Stupidest racist dodges are he can't do rolands "accent" right cause he's British (lol) and "Roland was white in the illustrations" like bitch am i expected to take you seriously when it was a picture book to you?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Tetracube posted:

I don't think it's physically possible for notch to get any more pathetic, at this point

Haha holy poo poo, I had to make sure that was real, and yepppp. I think being a billionaire broke his brain.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Tetracube posted:

Please tell me that is either a not-very-good joke or somebody hacked his account :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Otisburg posted:

Yeah. The point of those scenes where she's raving at him and Eddie are frothing hatred and distrust, not the race angle. They can adapt it and just have her say different ugly poo poo to him.

He's also described as having piercing blue eyes but eh. Elba has an intense as gently caress gaze so it works.

Stupidest racist dodges are he can't do rolands "accent" right cause he's British (lol) and "Roland was white in the illustrations" like bitch am i expected to take you seriously when it was a picture book to you?

His blue eyes are played upon quite a bit, but colored contacts exist.