Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Cerv posted:

i have not seen mad max fury road

Neither have I yet; I'm not sure I'll enjoy a silent protagonist. It's just popped up on rainierland so I may spare it a watch this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Manic X posted:

Neither have I yet; I'm not sure I'll enjoy a silent protagonist. It's just popped up on rainierland so I may spare it a watch this week.

Furiosa speaks a load!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Saga I: The Star Wars
Why did he change it to the first one being part IV?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Supposedly, when he decided that Vader was Luke's father when writing The Empire Strikes Back he got so excited at the implied back story he changed it from part II to part V, with Star Wars being renamed "Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope" in its 1981 rerelease.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Given how loving long modern movies are I am always shocked they don't put in intermissions in order to play more ads and sell more lovely overpriced food and drink. It seems like an exquisitely capitalist thing to do, I'm baffled as to why they haven't.

They would sell more refreshments (which have huge margins) but they'd be able to put on less screenings of the film. And there's a lot of pressure from the film companies for cinemas to have as many screenings as possible in a day or else they might not be offered the next release.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Star Wars - rather against expectation - made a fuckton of money.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Alien has some of the best use of silence I've ever heard. Huge oceans of total quiet that push down on you, suck the air out of your lungs and make the moment when the alien finally attacks almost a relief.

The only thing I've seen do a similarly good job recently isLuther. That series gets a bit silly once you realize Luther is basically a superhero, but those silences make me itch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Furiosa speaks a load!

Yeah, Furiosa is the protagonist, and Max is the kind of scary, kind of mysterious muscle who tags along with her.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Mad max fury road was a bit disappointing.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/686689946799845376

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Given Lucas's love for dumb naming I can't believe he didn't have all that planned in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbLqiKg9JkA

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The last film I recall seeing an intermission was that goddamn Pirates of The Carribean film - the film that was three hours long for some reason.

OwlFancier posted:

My favorite films are Alien and The Thing.

I really like practical effects.

Did you ever see that Thing prequel? Ignoring that it's complete fan fiction garbage, they did some really neat practical effects for it...but then the producers or executives or whoever decided to plaster over it in terrible-looking CGI. :smith:

[e]: While on silly Star Wars names; Savage Opress, brother of Darth Maul.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 2, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nothing can match the absurdity that is Kit Fisto

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nothing can match the absurdity that is Kit Fisto

I really love the name Sio Bibble. Kit Fisto is good but man, Sio Bibble.

I just watched last week's question time and people constantly harping on about "losing democracy to the EU" drive me mad. I don't understand why nobody - not even the pro EU people on the panel, few as they are - ever says that if you're mad about Slovakia having a say in the EU parliament and us only having "a little" then you should be mad that Liverpool only has a little bit of say in the Parliament of the UK or any number of smaller bodies having a say in a bigger one.

And then they're all banging on about infrastructre and immigration and not once does anyone ever say "Well we need to spend on infrastructure". It's baffling, what the gently caress is wrong with Question time?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem with the lack of democracy in the EU isn't that Slovakia has a say, it's that bodies like the European Round Table of Industrialists, which seems purposefully named to sound like a cross between a movie supervillain club and perfect conspiracy fodder, gets a disproportionate say. As do many other lobby organizations that purposefully exclude workers, small businesses, and the precariat.

Nobody talks about that though, because it would be inconvenient to the Tories of both In and Out varieties who want the exact same thing in the UK, and already do so via more informal channels.

This is a good thing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Guavanaut posted:

The problem with the lack of democracy in the EU isn't that Slovakia has a say, it's that bodies like the European Round Table of Industrialists, which seems purposefully named to sound like a cross between a movie supervillain club and perfect conspiracy fodder, gets a disproportionate say. As do many other lobby organizations that purposefully exclude workers, small businesses, and the precariat.

Nobody talks about that though, because it would be inconvenient to the Tories of both In and Out varieties who want the exact same thing in the UK, and already do so via more informal channels.

That's less a problem with the EU and more just a general problem with modern capitalism. Or post capitalism or whatever the gently caress you want to call it.

In a similar vein it's annoying that so many people say they don't know and can't make up their minds and need something to come out to look at. There's plenty of stuff to look at about it. But because it isn't just an easy "Yes it's good" or "Yes it's bad" that somehow means there's no answer and we're just flailing in the dark.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just vote to Leave you wusspots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just vote to Stay you oojit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dabir posted:

Just vote to Stay you oojit.

Not emptyquoting

e: How does everyone feel about Ted Baker? Someone at work thinks it's chavvy, which is, err? Maybe?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

By all means vote to stay, I just don't suggest it if you're conflicted.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

e: How does everyone feel about Ted Baker? Someone at work thinks it's chavvy, which is, err? Maybe?

It's a clothing chain. Who on earth gives a gently caress that isn't a Tory?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

It's a clothing chain. Who on earth gives a gently caress that isn't a Tory?

I dunno, just thought it was odd. I mean it's not the first thing that comes to mind. Also I don't think that person votes Tory, I'm pretty sure it's Labour.

e: to be clear I don't think calling anything chavvy is any good really

Also vote stay you idiot.

VVVV
Vote stay if you don't want a whole bunch of people to be really miserable. (may include Coohoolin and me)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 2, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't give a gently caress about the eu, what is the superior voting option?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Then tell them to stop giving a poo poo who made what someone's wearing. Care what it looks like.

I mean if it's made by Hitler Corp then worry but if it's just 'chavvy' then lol gently caress anyone who whines. gently caress them to hell.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of 1981 Clash hits, Corbs set out his stance on the EU yesterday.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

I don't give a gently caress about the eu, what is the superior voting option?

Voting to Leave. We're hosed either way, really.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

gently caress them to hell.

Imagine that my sig is on.

Also mad max fury road is really good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

Imagine that my sig is on.

It always is when I'm readin your poasts.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Add +1 vout to the ukmt vote count

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

I'd very much rather not be hosed even more in the near future thanks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I mean, I'm happy to shift my vote, but your sob story better be drat GOOD *prepares The Voice chair*

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Add +1 vout to the ukmt vote count

Do not vote to Leave.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Private Speech posted:

A very good thing you aren't a child anywhere near government, the BBC, a church....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

Do not vote to Leave.

A strong argument, I can see Vote Leave has a hard game ahead of them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

I mean, I'm happy to shift my vote, but your sob story better be drat GOOD *prepares The Voice chair*

Does potentially slowly being forced out of the country where I have most of my friends and cannot afford (or possibly even get) citizenship from count? Oh and the research sector being hosed with regards to funding, at least from what I can see at work. That's just the personal part.

e: actually you're just a prick, your only argument is that things getting even more poo poo will somehow bring about the revolution and install glorious communism (which will not happen unless we get to literal death camps first)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 2, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dabir posted:

Do not vote to Leave.

I'm gonna trust my friend tessarection on this as the debate splits the Tory party and ukmt apart.

I hope that the UK votes to leave and then the government does what Eire did that one time

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

An epic internal debate as to whether you'd rather make Cameron or ids lose the argument.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Does potentially slowly being forced out of the country where I have most of my friends and cannot afford citizenship from count? Oh and the research sector being hosed with regards to funding, at least from what I can see at work. That's just the personal part.

This does beg a question, though... what IS the recourse for current EU-beneficiaries here on a free-movement basis, should we leave the EU? I agree that a solution that fucks you over would be gross, and if such a thing were to be the guaranteed option I would be much more likely to vote to Stay.

At the same time, research is getting gutted either way. That one is at best delayed due to the EU, not prevented.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Would leaving the eu affect the nhs, specifically services for the learning disabled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Namtab posted:

Would leaving the eu affect the nhs, specifically services for the learning disabled

Probably not in a significant way. Less doctors around maybe? It's still a bad idea regardless.

e: It's a bit like voting for Trump to 'punish' Hillary. Cut off your nose and all that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 2, 2016

• Locked thread