Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

I remembered an additional thing I read about when I was playing Infitech 2. New Horizons comes with GT5 Unofficial and has a nerf where the solar boiler slowly calcifies over time and reduces its output the longer you leave it active. Because I guess that was a thing that needed to happen.

I... don't know why that needed nerfing. The solar boiler is garbage.
edit: wait nevermind, it's because obviously people were building like a hundred of them to get free steam and lagging poo poo up because of course they did.

EDIT: OH GOD THIS MODPACK IS AWFUL
Crafting table requires flint. Furnace requires flint. Can't make charcoal in the furnace, you need a BLAST FURNACEcoke oven for that.
E2: HAHA WHAT infinite water is turned off!
E3: oh you're supposed to farm cactus for water. 8 cactus juice can fill a bucket with water.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

It's spherical, and it's any player spawn point. So both world spawn and your spawn count. So, yeah, having it directly above you is almost certainly interfering. You need to either make it taller or move it.

w e l p

:suicide:

i think i'll just start over then -- the idea of tearing down this mob tower is pretty awful

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

w e l p

i think i'll just start over then -- the idea of tearing down this mob tower is pretty awful

Just use gamemode c to tear it down/rebuild it it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Glory of Arioch posted:

w e l p

This is the point where you bust out MCEdit, and either move the world spawn to someplace else, or copy/paste the offending construction to a different spot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Does that GregTech mod have AE2 in it? Because it sounds like the perfect thing for autocrafting.

Which of course means that it probably doesn't. Though I'd love to look at the even more grindy version of the AE2 mods just to see how absurd they can take the already sometimes frustrating AE2 recipes

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Does that GregTech mod have AE2 in it? Because it sounds like the perfect thing for autocrafting.

Which of course means that it probably doesn't. Though I'd love to look at the even more grindy version of the AE2 mods just to see how absurd they can take the already sometimes frustrating AE2 recipes

It does, but you need to progress to Gregtech MV-tier to do stuff with it. Which is a huge pain, but not as much of a pain as getting past bronze age at least.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
is there a equivalent of bukkit or something for 1.9 server hosting

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I AM BRAWW posted:

is there a equivalent of bukkit or something for 1.9 server hosting

1.9 was released yesterday or today so probably not

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
this sucks!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Spigot/CraftBukkit/Bukkit updated to 1.9 yesterday and they fixed a bunch of bugs overnight between then and today so it's usable now. https://www.spigotmc.org

You have to build from source (I guess that's how they get around the whole Wolvereness DMCA thing?) but it's pretty easy (the download page has all the info & links you need to do it) and so far it seems to work quite well.

Edit: I've been running 1.9 on my server for the past few days because I'm sick to death of 1.7.10 and 1.8.9 just isn't different enough from it. 1.9 is seriously good, I hope Mojang gets past the bullshit security and bugfix updates quickly and MCP/Forge catch up to it. (this isn't gonna happen so i look forward to trying out thermal expansion 6 and applied energistics 4 in 2017)

Fortis fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 1, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tried that Gregtech modpack just because I was curious to see what the HQM stuff was like. After taking a loving obscene amount of time to finally load up, I got into the game and realized my UI was cluttered as hell. I went into the controls menu and mapped "WAILA Show/Hide" to E, and the game instantly hard-crashed to the desktop.
Cool.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Alkydere posted:

The ME controller requires GT titanium plates and advanced circuits from either GT or IC2. Also, I've found they used the GT: New Horizons core mod to do ridiculous things to the Railcraft coke oven brick recipe.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Repeat 26 times, or until your knife breaks.

Bonus: My New Horizons base 3 hours in.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 2, 2016

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Vib Rib posted:

I tried that Gregtech modpack just because I was curious to see what the HQM stuff was like. After taking a loving obscene amount of time to finally load up, I got into the game and realized my UI was cluttered as hell. I went into the controls menu and mapped "WAILA Show/Hide" to E, and the game instantly hard-crashed to the desktop.
Cool.

That's what you get for trying to cheat the process.

Next time, follow this 15 step, improved realistic process for changing your settings: :words:

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

EDIT: OH GOD THIS MODPACK IS AWFUL
Crafting table requires flint. Furnace requires flint. Can't make charcoal in the furnace, you need a BLAST FURNACEcoke oven for that.
E2: HAHA WHAT infinite water is turned off!
E3: oh you're supposed to farm cactus for water. 8 cactus juice can fill a bucket with water.

Have you seen the recipe for doors and beds yet?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

The ME controller requires GT titanium plates and advanced circuits from either GT or IC2. Also, I've found they used the GT: New Horizons core mod to do ridiculous things to the Railcraft coke oven brick recipe.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Repeat 26 times, or until your knife breaks.

Bonus: My New Horizons base 3 hours in.

Don't forget the recipe for the blank pattern!
Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

EIGHT LOGS PER BLANK PATTERN

CoreDuo posted:

Have you seen the recipe for doors and beds yet?

The bed recipe is okay, you just need a wooden hammer and like, twice as much wood and wool. Wooden door is loving LOL

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

McFrugal posted:

To become a truly awful Minecraft modder you must ask yourself, "how do I make this already tedious thing even more tedious!"

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Oh Christ, I'd seen the paper and assumed it was normal.

McFrugal posted:

The bed recipe is okay, you just need a wooden hammer and like, twice as much wood and wool. Wooden door is loving LOL

Fair enough, I didn't know that you could make GT hammers out of wood. Backpacks require tanned leather from TiCon and a steel ring. And a TiCon drying rack requires a screwdriver and wood screws. :suicide:

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 2, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Everyone knows that mulching an entire tree down into paper yields 4 sheets.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Wow, okay, that poo poo looks tedious as loving hell. Screw that.

Report on the update for Sky Magic: Because ACE had updated, I was going to simply add a way to craft and place the portal to the Thaumcraft Outer Lands dimension so that you could get the primordial pearls the normal way. However, deciphering how to put together an ACE config file is a torturous mess of JSON scripting, and on top of that, the Outer Lands dungeons aren't generating so when you load in, you're stuck inside a solid mess of Starry Void blocks. So gently caress it. I'm just going to add crafting recipes for the two Thaumcraft boss spawn eggs and people can spawn them wherever the hell they want.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
More then two, but im not sure how many work. Should be the giant tainticle, the "robot" guardian. the "giant eldrich ghost" and the crimson cult portal/praetor.

Sorry, you'll have to figure out the names. :shobon:

quote:

Gregtech

This is causing me undo distress. Please stop. :stare:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm playing the Gregtech pack. Mostly to see how HQM handles it.

Honestly, the worst part so far -- far and away -- is hunger. I've managed to build a bed (which makes a huge difference, since night is pitch black) and a little hovel and a few chests and I've got a decent supply chain going, but food is a nightmare. Cooked steak fills 1.5... hamhocks? Hunger units. Hunger memory is 21 food items, anything more than once in that period will reduce its effectiveness. However, since it requires 0% effectiveness to give 0 hamhocks, really cheap but common food is actually very useful, and can flood out better foods from your hunger 'memory' more easily. You can eat like 12 melon slices for 6 hamhocks total before it gives you nothing, and then you've cleared over half your hunger memory and filled more hunger than 4 steaks would. It's incredibly stupid.
There's a quest unlocked at the start that can give you the healing axe, which fills up your hunger/saturation meter just by holding it. You need 8 of every garden to get it, which isn't terrible, except that includes Nether gardens, so that puts it a long ways off.

You do burn through supplies fast, but yes, so far, hunger is the most infuriating part by a longshot. Not to mention it drains constantly, even if you're standing still. And if you get too hurt/hungry you get really slow and weak, so fights that go bad or desperate scrambles for food literally prevent you from running at the time you'd most want to. So I'm just gonna tweak some of that stuff out. Looking forward to where the true breaking point will be because I haven't even gotten into all the complex recipes mentioned earlier. I guess my biggest problem with mods like Gregtech isn't even the insane cost, it's the stupid amounts of sub-recipes. Like, yeah, 8 logs for a blank pattern is stupid, but I would be much more okay with that if I could just throw down 8 logs and get my pattern. It's all the intermediary recipes that bug me.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I wish Ticon didn't use blank patterns at all. They seem like the most boring part of the whole thing.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I wonder why people continue to give GregTech any focus seeing as it's --as I understand it-- some whiny brat's way of making sure no one else can make any progress on his server.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

I guess my biggest problem with mods like Gregtech isn't even the insane cost, it's the stupid amounts of sub-recipes. Like, yeah, 8 logs for a blank pattern is stupid, but I would be much more okay with that if I could just throw down 8 logs and get my pattern. It's all the intermediary recipes that bug me.

I'm making a clay bucket. It needs clay dust. Clay dust. You make clay dust by crafting 4 small piles of clay dust. You make small piles of clay dust by using a mortar. You need 20 of it. A flint mortar breaks at 16.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Danny Glands posted:

I wonder why people continue to give GregTech any focus seeing as it's --as I understand it-- some whiny brat's way of making sure no one else can make any progress on his server.

Most GregTech mod packs disable his most heinous crimes. One of the default behaviors is to force players into adventure mode for some ungodly reason.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Danny Glands posted:

What I'd like to know is what possibly made him think that MAXIMUM TEDIUM MODE!!!!! was the least bit fun. When I'm playing Minecraft I don't want it to be realistic or like a job. I want to make huge buildings, hook up fancy machines, and beat up monsters.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Has anyone tried to drain an ocean when infinite water sources are disabled?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly, the worst part so far -- far and away -- is hunger.

I'm not having too much trouble with hunger. Just find some berry bushes, gather a shitload of gardens, make a sizable farm, break gardens to eat or make seeds to plant and harvest as needed. Well, to be honest, I lucked out and found one of those Witchery stone circles that had some awesome food in it. Gardens really are common enough to provide for you up to and past the farming stage though.

Serifina posted:

Wow, okay, that poo poo looks tedious as loving hell. Screw that.

Report on the update for Sky Magic: Because ACE had updated, I was going to simply add a way to craft and place the portal to the Thaumcraft Outer Lands dimension so that you could get the primordial pearls the normal way. However, deciphering how to put together an ACE config file is a torturous mess of JSON scripting, and on top of that, the Outer Lands dungeons aren't generating so when you load in, you're stuck inside a solid mess of Starry Void blocks. So gently caress it. I'm just going to add crafting recipes for the two Thaumcraft boss spawn eggs and people can spawn them wherever the hell they want.

Blightfall has a custom map and managed to place obelisks that successfully link to dungeons in the Outer Lands. I think what you want to do is put in a crafting recipe for the obelisk placement doohickey, then instruct the player to transport a Sinister node onto the keystone. IIRC, if there's a non-sinister node at the obelisk, you can put the eyes on the keystone but the portal generated won't lead to a valid Outer Lands dungeon. Oh you'll need a recipe for the crimson book, too.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 2, 2016

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

I'm not having too much trouble with hunger. Just find some berry bushes, gather a shitload of gardens, make a sizable farm, break gardens to eat or make seeds to plant and harvest as needed. Well, to be honest, I lucked out and found one of those Witchery stone circles that had some awesome food in it. Gardens really are common enough to provide for you up to and past the farming stage though.

My base is up in a tree which made food difficult for a little while. I am not a clever man. It's a giant sacred oak so at least there's no shortage of wood. I'll hopefully be getting started on my coke oven soon so that I can have more than one torch.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 2, 2016

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Thyrork posted:

More then two, but im not sure how many work. Should be the giant tainticle, the "robot" guardian. the "giant eldrich ghost" and the crimson cult portal/praetor.

Sorry, you'll have to figure out the names. :shobon:

This is causing me undo distress. Please stop. :stare:

There's only two I'm dealing with right now - the Greater Crimson Portal and the Eldritch Warden. I know these two drop Primordial Pearls. I don't think the robot-thing does (Eldritch Golem), and I haven't tried the giant tainticle or the giant ghost thing (not sure which ones those are).

McFrugal posted:

Blightfall has a custom map and managed to place obelisks that successfully link to dungeons in the Outer Lands. I think what you want to do is put in a crafting recipe for the obelisk placement doohickey, then instruct the player to transport a Sinister node onto the keystone. IIRC, if there's a non-sinister node at the obelisk, you can put the eyes on the keystone but the portal generated won't lead to a valid Outer Lands dungeon. Oh you'll need a recipe for the crimson book, too.

Sky Magic is 1.8.9, so it's TC5, not 4. Things changed a bit. There's no sinister node at the center, instead it's an invisible block called an Eldritch Portal. The problem is that it requires all three parts - the Eldritch Altar, the Eldritch Portal, and the Eldritch Obelisk. If one of those is missing, it doesn't work. The problem isn't those - I could (once I figure ACE out) just make a crafting recipe for the altar, and when it's placed, auto-generate the other two parts above it. Then the player can place the eyes as appropriate, activate the portal, and step through.

The problem is that the actual dungeon on the other side of the portal isn't actually generating. So you appear in a solid mass of Starry Void blocks and die. I don't know why it's not generating. The altar/obelisk set is also not working reliably, either, which makes it even more frustrating. And honestly, I'm tired of trying to track it down just so I can throw players through that dungeon. It's not like it's a major focus of the pack, I just want players to be able to use the primordial pearl-based stuff.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh, I guess TC5 doesn't have a creative mode item for generating functioning obelisks. That's a shame, maybe someone can bug Azanor into supporting that for skyblocks somehow.

In other news, due to the fence (and ladder) recipe in GT: NH, I was very thankful that there was a village nearby to loot said items from. Pressure plates, too.
Never before have I even considered ladders and fences to be items worth looting.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 2, 2016

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

In other news, due to the fence (and ladder) recipe in GT: NH, I was very thankful that there was a village nearby to loot said items from. Pressure plates, too.
Never before have I even considered ladders and fences to be items worth looting.

I need to find a village so that I can steal all of their doors. I've barely left my base so far.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I ran Opis against the BFSR tutorial world. I did notice the NPCs take up quite a bit of run time in comparison to other things. I think it was averaging 30us per NPC. However, one was taking 150us just standing there with a single dialog. I had no idea why.

Edit: In side news, I noticed enderium Tinkers' Construct weapons have ridiculous damage levels.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 2, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I ran Opis against the BFSR tutorial world. I did notice the NPCs take up quite a bit of run time in comparison to other things. I think it was averaging 30us per NPC. However, one was taking 150us just standing there with a single dialog. I had no idea why.

Edit: In side news, I noticed enderium Tinkers' Construct weapons have ridiculous damage levels.

Yeah, the stats for TE metals are totally out of whack.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

Oh, I guess TC5 doesn't have a creative mode item for generating functioning obelisks. That's a shame, maybe someone can bug Azanor into supporting that for skyblocks somehow.

There is a creative mode obelisk Placer. It only places the obelisk block and not the altar or portal blocks, so it's functionally useless.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

CoreDuo posted:

Has anyone tried to drain an ocean when infinite water sources are disabled?

The gregtech pump will grab water source blocks without a block update, meaning you can drain oceans even with infinite water.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

bigperm posted:

The gregtech pump will grab water source blocks without a block update, meaning you can drain oceans even with infinite water.

Excellent. That will be a project for another time, if I stick with it for that long. In other news, I can finally see outside of my house at night since I was able to get a coke oven made.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i'm pretty sure the people who are into gregtech aren't actually "playing" it, they just sperg out on forums somewhere talking about what they think should be in it to make it more realistic/balanced/etc. and then that sort of thing is factored into the mod as if it was something everything was doing and then the sperging follows it to the next level of insanity and then the mod is rejiggered again and eventually you wind up with a mod where it takes a real-life week to make the equivalent of a wooden shovel and everyone is going "hmmm yes quite this is enthralling" but a grand total of 0 people ever actually go through with that, they just talk about it

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I know a guy who plays and likes gregtech :shrug:

He told me he likes that it takes a while to get through the mod, and from a certain perspective I understand - it's not super hard to blow through most mods' progressions to get to near-creative mode (nigh infinite resources, long-duration flight with good control, rapid removal/placement of large numbers of blocks) within like 10 hours of playing, at which point every other mods' progression is trivialized. Having something that's a solid like 80-100 hour investment to get through is what scratches some people's itch. It's only that long because the content is bloated with grind and tedium, but I guess some people care more about "this took a lot of effort to do so it's cool because it took a lot of effort to do" than "this was an engaging and interesting project."

Also poo poo like that makes for good group content. I'd actually be really interested in doing gregtech with a crew of like 4-5 people who only play together a night or two a week and, as a collective and social effort, chew through content like that. With most mods and that many people you can blitz the entirety of a modpack in like a few hours - it happened with Blightfall with goons, at one point I logged off for the night while we were at the "oh god how are we going to not starve to death" phase and the next day we had endgame tech up and running.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 2, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I'm still trudging through that New Horizons thing, mostly to see how the HQM goes. Partway through the stone age tier stuff it has me collect a lot of sand, gravel, and clay, so I know where this is going already. Then it has me make Tinker tables. So far so good. Then out of nowhere I have to make a knife and cut a brick mold. It literally just says "make a knife" without any tips on how, or what recipe to use. I checked the recipe for the knife and there's like 150 loving recipes for it, all using different materials and metals, and all requiring poo poo I don't have, like screwdrivers and metal plates. I haven't even gotten to gathering metal yet so what the gently caress do they expect of me here? So far the HQM has been surprisingly comprehensive but now it's just "grab some advanced gregtech poo poo" out of the blue. There must be a flint knife or something I'm overlooking.

E: Oh wait there it is. One flint on one stick. It was on page 29 of 54 on the recipe book.

One thing I've noticed in this pack is a lot of the recipes Gregtech adds are really clumsily added in technical terms. Like many recipes were added twice, manually, to have the mirrored version in, even though Minecraft already accounts for that. So now there's twice as many recipes for some things, which are just the same recipes but backwards. And then this knife pattern is not initialized as being shapeless -- it's shaped, so the knife has to be to the left of the pattern to work. But on top of that, it's shaped AND it counts all the blank spaces, so it has to be done in the upper left corner of the crafting table. And you NEED to use a crafting table, because the 2x2 inventory crafting space leaves out 5 of the empty spaces, which the recipe apparently needs.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah the flint knife is a surprising inclusion, and it can even serve as a cutting board!