Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone agrees Mormons are total bullshit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone agrees Mormons are total bullshit too.

that's all religions bro

Only real difference between most sects of Christianity is age. If the age of your cult makes you more valid, then Zoroastrianism is the most valid cult.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Historical fun fact: "hermetic order" is a fancy name for a swinger's club that scams money off people who believe in magic. For example, JPL founding member and (in)famous rocket scientist Jack Parsons was taken for a ride by the Ordo Templi Orientis. He lost a load of money with tithes to Aleister Crowely in the dying days of the OTO, and more locally to his temple (AKA his house), lost a lover or two and more cash to none other than L Ron Hubbard.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Mar 1, 2016

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

So the post about Franklin's lost expedition sent me on a four-hour Wikipedia surf last night.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition

The blood-spattered letter in the cairn gave me chills. Franklin's everything is okey-dokey message sharing the page with the we are so hosed message penned by the survivors, both written haphazardly on the same Navy form letter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Historical fun fact: "hermetic order" is a fancy name for a swinger's club that scams money off people who believe in magic. For example, JPL founding member and (in)famous rocket scientist Jack Parsons was taken for a ride by the Ordo Templi Orientis. He lost a load of money with tithes to Aleister Crowely in the dying days of the OTO, and more locally to his temple (AKA his house), lost a lover or two and more cash to none other than L Ron Hubbard.

It's also worth noting that Gardner was a Rosicrucian before creating Wicca and generally didn't have a good opinion of hermetic orders. He thought they were mostly stupid, bureaucratic cults run by jerks who just wanted to control people.

I don't give a poo poo if people want to practice Wicca but boy howdy does it get frustrating explaining that their origin story is completely bogus. It also doesn't help that 90% of the contemporary pagans I've met have been self-absorbed white people who have a shallow understanding of paganism and only practice it to be a special, unique, rebellious snowflake whose religions is TOTALLY OLDER THAN YOURS, gently caress YOU DAD.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

:mil101: Every bomb needs safeguards to prevent detonation while in the plane or after an aborted bombing raid. In WWII, Japan had the lowest rate of dud bombs because they had the fewest of these safeguards. No statistics are available on how many armourers or planes returning from unsuccessful raids were lost.

:eng101: This might be limited to Australasian interest, but the infamous jingle in the spray 'n' wipe commercials is actually a 1977 pop song by Ian Dury called 'Billericay Dicky'. The real lyrics start:

I had a love affair with Nina
In the back of my Cortina
A seasoned up hyena
could not have been more obscener

and go on to brag about all the times Dickie has got his leg over.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Geniasis posted:

So are you backing off of your claim that it can claim "direct lineage" to ancient tradition?

That depends on what you thought I claimed. All I'm saying is that it is directly influenced by hermeticism, which goes back many hundreds of years and is in turn influenced by greek mysticism, gnosticism and animist techniques.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

See! So smug! You're the spherically fat harry-potter-kin here, Megyyyn with three Ys and also it's in ye olde timey script or you're spelling it wrong, DAD, so the burden of proof is on you. I bet you're exactly this insufferable about people with Wrong Opinions about Dr. Who

Were you dropped on your head as a kid a lot, or did you do it to yourself because you liked the feeling? :frogout:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tias posted:

That depends on what you thought I claimed. All I'm saying is that it is directly influenced by hermeticism, which goes back many hundreds of years and is in turn influenced by greek mysticism, gnosticism and animist techniques.

When you write words down on the internet other people can read them, smugwitch:

Geniasis posted:

So are you backing off of your claim that it can claim "direct lineage" to ancient tradition?

Tias posted:

Yeah, no.

Wicca was conceived in the fifties, but can claim a direct lineage to hermetic magic orders (one of which Gardner was a member of) as well as greek mysteries, and some of their workings are the exact same as animist shamans have used for thousands of years.

I get that you may not like new age thought (a lot of pagans don't either, fyi), but don't present your speculation as certainty :p

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Tias posted:

You have to disregard the existence of the Golden Dawn and Ordo Templi Orientis, where, you know, he learned them.
Happily.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My favorite Animism was the one where Liu Kang turned into a dragon.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

When you write words down on the internet other people can read them, smugwitch:

To be fair, that post might just be claiming that the direct lineage is to that specific hermetic order from the 19th century, which could be true and is also not really an impressive claim.

"I claim direct lineage to something within the last century!"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Our tradition can claim descent from a long lineage of frauds.

true of humanity in general

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scorpion's wasn't turning into a scorpion. Isn't that weird?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's nothing wrong with wanting to say, 'gently caress you, Dad!' though, I think we should recognize that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yes? Are you done being a loving idiot now that you can re-read what I wrote?

Geniasis posted:

To be fair, that post might just be claiming that the direct lineage is to that specific hermetic order from the 19th century, which could be true and is also not really an impressive claim.

This is what I meant, so slow your roll.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Geniasis posted:

Sure, if there weren't the whole "as well as" part. There's no such thing as "workings" that are "the exact same as animist shamans have used for thousands of years" for the very good reasons people already addressed in this thread. There's also no such thing as "workings," period, but if magic isn't real what is Tias going to do with all those purple candles?

Tias posted:

Yes? Are you done being a loving idiot now that you can re-read what I wrote?

This is what I meant, so slow your roll.

^^^And this is what I mean, so tighten your corset and slow the undulation of your rolls.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Aphrodite posted:

Scorpion's wasn't turning into a scorpion. Isn't that weird?

He just wanted his opponent to get over there. A chain hook is kind of like a scorpion tail if you think about it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Nice to see that the PYF Historical Fun Fact thread is indeed full of history-minded people who would happily recognise their personal feelings about a patricular religious practice as irrelevant regarding the matter to take a closer look at how the practice came to be and by what school of thoughts it was inspired.

Oh wait no, just a bunch of assholes throwing verbal abuse at some dude who afaik isn't even wiccan, lol

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Callout post: all y’all please cite your sources [and maybe the thread can scoot on to something else before you return :v: ]

Anyways, I thought this was great. In ancient egypt, animal mummies would receive an ‘enema’ of turpentine and cedar oil before being buried in a shitton of natron during the mummification process. Fun times! I always thought it was just buried in salt for a bit and then wrapped up.

Citation of the not really academic kind: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/11/animal-mummies/williams-text/5

Also, my favorite bit from the article: “As an offering, I sketch plump carrots and symbols to multiply the bunch by a thousand. Ikram assures me that the pictures have instantly become real in the hereafter, and her rabbits are twitching their noses with joy.“

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

dobbymoodge posted:

PYF Historical Stultifying Conjecture.

E: for content, there have been at least three famous defenestrations in Prague.

Wanna write a history book about the three defenestrations of Prague their causes and consequences just so I can use the word "defenestration" hundreds of times.

Mods please change thread title to "Defenestration Appreciation Station"

tia

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Take these as you will, knowing their sources

quote:

In 569 B.C., according to Greek historian Herodotus, a single fart sparked a revolt against King Apries of Egypt.

It started when Apries sent one of his generals, Amasis, to quash a rebellion among his troops but the rebels crowned Amasis the new king instead. Apries sent over a popular advisor named Patarbemis to address the issue. According to Herodotus, Amasis honked his rectum and told Patarbemis to "carry that back to Apries." It's not known how exactly this message was relayed, but Apries responded by ordering the nose and ears lopped off his messenger. News of this brutality swayed Egyptians against their king, who was eventually torn apart by a mob, and insured the official reign of Amasis from 569 to 525 B.C.

quote:

A fart in Jerusalem in 44 A.D. led to the deaths of 10,000 people. Josephus (37-100 AD) describes an anti-Semitic Roman soldier who dropped one before a crowd of Jews celebrating Passover. The soldier "pulled back his garment, and cowering down after an indecent manner, turned his breech to the Jews, and spake such words as you might expect upon such a posture." This angered the Jews, the angriest of whom began stoning the soldiers. The Roman leader of Jerusalem, Cumanus responded with force and a riot ensued. Most of the dead were Jews killed as they trampled each other trying to escape the Temple, where they crowded when the Roman Army arrived.

quote:

Benjamin Franklin wrote an essay called "Fart Proudly." Distributed to friends but never published, it includes the lines: "A few Stems of Asparagus eaten, shall give our Urine a disagreable Odour; and a Pill of Turpentine no bigger than a Pea, shall bestow on it the pleasing Smell of Violets. And why should it be thought more impossible in Nature, to find Means of making a Perfume of our Wind than of our Water?"

Fart proudly, goons.

hard counter has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Mar 2, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trying to reconstruct pagan believes through neo-paganism is sort of tough because a lot of the time the original pagans didn't write anything down and at best everything was written down a couple of centuries later by their very christian descendants which leaves a lot of room for distortion. That being said Lithuanian Paganism was strong until the late 14th century while pretty much everyone else pussied out and converted by the dawn of the 11th century and the Sami were still predominantly pagan in the 18th century. There is also the Mari of Russia many of whom combined Christianity with their native traditions to create a syncretic religion where Jesus and God and Mary are worshiped alongside the old gods.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Okay, less of a fact and more of little story:

Agnes Bernauer was a young German woman about whose early years we know next to nothing. She was probably born somewhere around 1410, and as tradition says that her father was an Augsburg-based barber surgeon, it seems likely that she was born there as well. When we follow that notion, she then enters history in early 1428, when Albrecht, eldest son of Duke Ernst of Bavaria-Munich, participated at a tournament in Augsburg where he likely saw Agnes for the first time. We don't know how it happened, but Albrecht must have fallen heads over heels in love with her - no wonder, as we're told that she was incredibly beautigul (a later chronicle describing her thus: "It is said that she was so beautiful that, after she had drunk red wine, you could see the wine going down her throat." Standards of beauty change as well, I guess :v:) - and took her promptly with him to the ducal court in Munich (where she appears as a member of court several months later that same year). By 1432, Agnes had become a influential figure at court due to her connection to the heir, drawing the ire of other players, especially the Duke as well as Countess Palatine Beatrix, Albrecht's sister.

Albrecht and Agnes probably married in secret in 1432 or 1433 (a contemporary of the two, Pope Pius II, denies this. He never came close to Munich, though, and probably heard about the story when he patricipated as a cardinal at the Council of Basel). The two lived together, mostly at the ducal castle in Straubing north of Munich, and when Duke Ernst had at first thought that Agnes was nothing more than a fling or a fancy, he soon had to realise that the marriage of his son and heir to a common-born woman was reality. In Ernst's eyes, this didn't only drag the honour of his family through the mud, it even threatened his entire legacy, as Albrecht was his only son and any offspring of the marriage with Agnes would very likely have been declared illegitimate and unfit to the throne by the rest of the House of Wittelsbach. He also saw how his son, who now spent nearly all of his time in Straubing, grew more bold and independent every day, and in his opinion, the only reason for that was the bad influence of a woman who acted way beyond her station.

In October 1436, Albrecht received an invitation to a hunting trip together with Duke Henry XVI of Bavaria-Landshut, a cousin of his father. Albrecht gladly accepted and immediately set off, leaving his wife behind. Whether Duke Ernst had organised the whole affair with his cousin or whether he simply took the opportunity could never be said with certainty, but the results are known: Ernst's goons arrested Agnes in Straubing and drowned her in the Danube. Or, as the contemporary historian Andreas of Regensburg tells us: "In this same year (1435), on October 12th, an extremely beautiful woman was thrown off the Danube bridge in Straubing on order of Duke Ernst of Bavaria; she was the lover of his son Albrecht, though some say that she was his true and lawful spouse [...] By using the one foot which wasn't chained [probably to a stone or something? He doesn't tell] she swam for a bit and approached the shore, crying in a hoarse and miserable voice: Help! Help! The torturer though, who had thrown her off the bridge, ran to her and, fear the ire of Duke Ernst, wound a long pole into her hair and forced her underwater again."

It's unclear what exactly happened afterwards. We can assume that Albrecht wasn't happy at all, and indeed for a time it looked like he might take arms againsst his arms. What instead happened was that he and his father reconciled - we don't know how - and that Albrecht remarried roughly a year later, this time to a noblewoman of very high standing, much to the joy of Duke Ernst, presumably (the town chronicler of Munich wrote: "Let's all be glad that it wasn't a Bernauer again"). Part of the deal was that Ernst built a chapel in Straubing in the memory of Agnes, where even today, almost 600 years after her death, every year a mass is read for her soul, now paid for by the State of Bavaria as the legal successor to the murderous Duke. The life and death of Agnes Bernauer gave rise to tons of stories, poems, songs and plays, too, many of which are still highly popular in Bavaria today.

Source: Marita A. Panzer, Ermordung der Agnes Bernauer, in: Historisches Lexikon Bayerns, URL: http://www.historisches-lexikon-bayerns.de/Lexikon/Ermordung der Agnes Bernauer (1.03.2016)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Source: Marita A. Panzer,

Now here is German name if I ever saw one

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Franklin's lost expedition, which supposedly died from the solder of their tinned food (though wiki says it was more likely the water pipes on the ship that gave them lead poisoning), reminded me: The tin can was invented and popularly used for 80-some years before the can opener. Earliest known cans were Dutch, 1772; first patent for a can opener was British, 1855.

Before then, you'd just kinda smash your way into the can with a hammer and chisel, or your bayonet, or whatever. I'm not surprised that the invention of the tool lagged behind the invention of the can, just that it took EIGHTY GODDAMN YEARS for somebody to think "Hmm, I could do this a better way."

ArchangeI posted:

Now here is German name if I ever saw one

You should read HEY GAL's posts in the A/T Military History thread, about the exploits of one Hieronymus Sebastian Schutze (and that's not even the most German name she's come across, just the one with the wackiest stories.)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

You should read HEY GAL's posts in the A/T Military History thread, about the exploits of one Hieronymus Sebastian Schutze (and that's not even the most German name she's come across, just the one with the wackiest stories.)

Oh, I am very much a regular in that thread. And Schutze would inevitably lose in the fight against Julius Caesar von Breitenbach.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I take it you've never heard of Austrian occultist Jörg Lanz von Liebenfels then?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Delivery McGee posted:

Franklin's lost expedition, which supposedly died from the solder of their tinned food (though wiki says it was more likely the water pipes on the ship that gave them lead poisoning), reminded me: The tin can was invented and popularly used for 80-some years before the can opener. Earliest known cans were Dutch, 1772; first patent for a can opener was British, 1855.

Before then, you'd just kinda smash your way into the can with a hammer and chisel, or your bayonet, or whatever. I'm not surprised that the invention of the tool lagged behind the invention of the can, just that it took EIGHTY GODDAMN YEARS for somebody to think "Hmm, I could do this a better way."

Did it take 80 years for it to be invented or to be patented?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nice to see that the PYF Historical Fun Fact thread is indeed full of history-minded people who would happily recognise their personal feelings about a patricular religious practice as irrelevant regarding the matter to take a closer look at how the practice came to be and by what school of thoughts it was inspired.

Oh wait no, just a bunch of assholes throwing verbal abuse at some dude who afaik isn't even wiccan, lol

it's atheists trying to accuse someone of being smug, in the twist of the century

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

queserasera posted:

So the post about Franklin's lost expedition sent me on a four-hour Wikipedia surf last night.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition

The blood-spattered letter in the cairn gave me chills. Franklin's everything is okey-dokey message sharing the page with the we are so hosed message penned by the survivors, both written haphazardly on the same Navy form letter.

Dan Simmons (of Hugo award winning Hyperion fame) wrote a novel called The Terror, which is a fictionalized account of the lost expedition. He's really thorough in his research so all the minutiae of naval life and their fight for survival against the elements are there, but it is a horror novel so there are supernatural elements to the story too. I liked it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I had a book as a kid called Buried in Ice about the Franklin Expedition that had pictures of the ship and items and stuff that was really goddamn rad, now i need to order it off of amazon

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Don't forget the utterly horrifying portrait of one of the searchers for the Expedition:

imagine encountering this thing in a dark house in the middle of the night

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Also, Historical fun fact:Apparently, the Presidential Desk in the White House is made from salvaged timber from the HMS Resolute, which became trapped in the ice, abandoned, but was later freed.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

A White Guy posted:

Don't forget the utterly horrifying portrait of one of the searchers for the Expedition:

imagine encountering this thing in a dark house in the middle of the night

I can't stop laughing about how dewy his eyes look.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

I can't stop laughing about how jewy his eyes look.

Wow.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
The Terror by Dan Simmons was fantastic.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On the positive side, the search for Franklin and his men led to a lot of Canada being mapped.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

he's not a wiccan, he's just defending them

Control Volume posted:

it's atheists trying to accuse someone of being smug, in the twist of the century
system metternich is as atheist as tias is wiccan

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Oh, I am very much a regular in that thread. And Schutze would inevitably lose in the fight against Julius Caesar von Breitenbach.
hey. HEY.

Quirinus Landgraff

And then there are the guys who are somewhat to the east of Most German Name Ever, like my friend and yours, Vratislav Eusebius von Pernstein

edit: I found a Zdekno von Waldstejn in a muster roll once

HEY GUNS has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

burexas.irom posted:

Dan Simmons (of Hugo award winning Hyperion fame) wrote a novel called The Terror, which is a fictionalized account of the lost expedition. He's really thorough in his research so all the minutiae of naval life and their fight for survival against the elements are there, but it is a horror novel so there are supernatural elements to the story too. I liked it.

Didn't know he won a Hugo for that, awesome. I have Illium and Olympus here which were pretty fun reads.