Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

the truth posted:

You have more of a say in what happens at some key moments in the second half of the game. The main character is a weirdo for the first part of the game, so it wouldn't make sense for him to act like a normal person. He's definitely not some voiceless avatar for the player. The emails can be ignored unless you are going for the true ending or getting trophies.

Virtually no Telltale game or visual novel that I have played gives the player any real agency, so I don't know what you were expecting. There is a predefined story with set character arcs, so there can't be that much deviation.

It's difference between Walking Dead having a button where I can tell the person I'm talking to I agree with them or to go gently caress off, versus me hitting a "respond" button and it randomly having my character say one of those things.

Like you said, Telltale games are structured so that in the long run it doesn't make any difference, but it still feels like you're making decisions, at least in the moment. Steins;Gate just gives you a couple keywords to choose from in an e-mail and then sends a response that doesn't match either of them.

If you could back up from the response, look at both of them and decide which one to send, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If the keywords actually match your decisions better in the second half of the game, though, I might as well pick it back up. It did have a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Cool Area", indeed.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope Miku takes over the world someday

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I can't think of a better presidential candidate than Hatsune Miku

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't think of a better presidential candidate than Hatsune Miku

Hatsune Miku represents Big Music, Big Radio and royalty collection societies! :argh:

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

voltcatfish posted:

I hope Miku takes over the world someday

That's already happening: http://www.ticketmaster.com/hatsune-miku-chicago-illinois-05-25-2016/event/07005044E9B77C82

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Just to make sure: final fantasy five is a crappy port with long loading times and I should just pay the extra money to get it on iPad, right?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Just to make sure: final fantasy five is a crappy port with long loading times

Yes

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I've got my tickets for the April show in Seattle. This is gonna be awesome. :slick:

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Just to make sure: final fantasy five is a crappy port with long loading times and I should just pay the extra money to get it on iPad, right?
Same for FF Tactics, sadly.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

I should just pay the extra money to get it on iPad, right?

The iOS FFs look like this though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
In DT 2, are there any way to respec other then a level reset, and can you change your class if you reset below the change level?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrashCat posted:

There's a lot more that it lacks compared to Roku than 1080p.

poo poo, what video can you even play on it? Crunchyroll, Crackle, right? Maybe Snagfilms? I think that's it.

edit: super beaten

What else do you need

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Megalixir posted:

The iOS FFs look like this though.

FF III/IV look rad-as-gently caress on iOS.

5/6/diminsions are gross. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah because 3/4 are ports of DS games that were full retail priced not cheap zero efort mobile ports.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

U-DO Burger posted:

I've got my tickets for the April show in Seattle. This is gonna be awesome. :slick:

Pls post your experience.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Anora posted:

In DT 2, are there any way to respec other then a level reset, and can you change your class if you reset below the change level?

No and it depends. It resets everything when you level reset (including magical skill garnish and subevent stats) to base so if you reset to 1 you can't class change until 15/30 but if you reset at 50 you keep all the skill points up to 50 and can do both class changes.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The first half of this is correct, but also don't give them money for the turd they put out on iOS and called "Final Fantasy V".

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Stanos posted:

No and it depends. It resets everything when you level reset (including magical skill garnish and subevent stats) to base so if you reset to 1 you can't class change until 15/30 but if you reset at 50 you keep all the skill points up to 50 and can do both class changes.

Hmmm, I guess I have to live with my horrible choices then.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Pls post your experience.

I'll be sure to do this. I haven't been to an event with swarms of anime fans in a looooong time, I can't wait to find out how the crowd is going to traumatize me.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Anora posted:

Hmmm, I guess I have to live with my horrible choices then.

Well, Until you hit level 30 anyway. You can pretty much rebuild completely once you hit there. fYI, You should hit about level 50 just before the last story line boss, so feel free to experiment between 30-50 and make sure you keep your quest rank leveled for cool stuff in optional dungeons.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

U-DO Burger posted:

I'll be sure to do this. I haven't been to an event with swarms of anime fans in a looooong time, I can't wait to find out how the crowd is going to traumatize me.

Ooo, can't wait to see the new you :nyoron:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just picked up a oled vita that is on 3.52. I'm mostly interested in psp side of hacks. However, I really want to use remote play and I have a ton of games on my ps plus account. Is it worth it or even possible to get the psp side hacked and if so will I lose access to the aforementioned vita functions? I also have a hacked psp go so I'm not sure it's even worth it to bother.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just picked up a oled vita that is on 3.52. I'm mostly interested in psp side of hacks. However, I really want to use remote play and I have a ton of games on my ps plus account. Is it worth it or even possible to get the psp side hacked and if so will I lose access to the aforementioned vita functions? I also have a hacked psp go so I'm not sure it's even worth it to bother.

It's not worth it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

SnatchRabbit posted:

The Vita is one of the most ridiculously locked down consoles to be made yet. Use it legitly and use an actual PSP for hackery.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Basically Sony got super mad that people clowned on them for eight years with the PSP so they went super Gestapo with Vita security.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

And they're so upset that they still crack down even on the slightest stepping-out-of-line with amazing speed, regardless of how small or innocent it is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SnatchRabbit posted:

it is possible assuming you're willing to never update again

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SnatchRabbit posted:

I looked into this concept and the dev scene is really dead. Just buy a PSP if you want to check out their games. Also you risk breaking the vita.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Attack on Titan is released in japan, so here's some gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWlFfA10ZIo&t=407s

My hips will be the drill that pierces the heavens!

Edit:

And here's the first bit of combat against an actual titan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7UmH4dMaM&t=645s

Edit2:

And a platform comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWdDIZYLYOM

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 2, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I truly do not get these games or how anyone enjoys them (hunting games) and believe me I've tried. I have played monster hunter Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. They just feel like other games but with way less to do and big empty areas with excessive hub worlds and menu screens. Honest question. What is the appeal? What does it take to feel invested in one?

I suppose it was pretty obvious Attack on Titan would be one of them, but drat that looks boring.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tastes are tastes. Personally i find all racing games bar the ones involving guns boring. Most sports action games centering around real life sports are a snooze to me. Similarly i find all of the sports management games boring, despite loving Disgaea and having played lots of economic simulation games as a kid.

Maybe what you're missing is that most of the hunting games involve a lot of planning and preparation and the satisfaction is more in seeing such pan out successfully, and maybe even efficiently, or dare one hope, elegantly. (The Witcher 1 is a game that did this amazingly well; Dragon's Dogma too, to some extent.)

What kind of stuff do you like?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
What do you mean by "Lack of stuff to do?" There's always something to do in MH. Fishing, farming, hunting, mining, crafting and killing. It can get Tedious, but you're never at a loss for stuff to do.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Anora posted:

What do you mean by "Lack of stuff to do?" There's always something to do in MH. Fishing, farming, hunting, mining, crafting and killing. It can get Tedious, but you're never at a loss for stuff to do.
They mean "in battle".

Also looks like they like XCOM, Borderlands, Castlevania, Killzone, Gravity Rush and some of those actionary RE games?

Sounds like the kind of gamer who lives for power, rush and adrenaline and doesn't care for downtime and pondering, in which case MH-type games are kind of the worst, since they're intentionally made to be meaty parts of prep, with managable, but pressure-high parts of rush against an enemy that could easily outmatch the player.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Souls games, P* games, metroid, western RPGs, some shooters...

I guess it's that I like them on paper that bugs me. I like the look of most of them, I like hitting stuff with swords, I like customizing my guy. When I actually play them I feel so bored though. The most I've ever put into one was the most recent MH, which was probably 6 hours. Maybe they hit a point where they feel more engaging, but after I put a few hours in I feel like I should be somewhat invested but I'm just bored.

The most recent one I tried was SSD (which I guess is a little different) and after a few hours I just quit because it was just spam attacks for 3 minutes at this 1-5 monsters, kill them, repeat. I'm sure it gets more challenging but the journey sure wasn't fun. maybe it's just not my genre. Feels like so much busywork.

Mithaldu posted:

Also looks like they like XCOM, Borderlands, Castlevania, Killzone, Gravity Rush and some of those actionary RE games?

XCOM and Castlevania for sure. The rest are things I enjoy to some degree.

XCOM is a lot of down time too though. If I get really into a game down time isn't problem. It's just actually fighting monsters in these games never really feels fun to me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 2, 2016

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I was hoping they released a demo (unless I managed to miss it while looking at the PSN store). The game looks good but I don't like AoT so I'll pass on importing it.

NESguerilla posted:

I truly do not get these games or how anyone enjoys them (hunting games) and believe me I've tried. I have played monster hunter Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. They just feel like other games but with way less to do and big empty areas with excessive hub worlds and menu screens. Honest question. What is the appeal? What does it take to feel invested in one?

I suppose it was pretty obvious Attack on Titan would be one of them, but drat that looks boring.

Hunting games are an acquired taste. Sometimes you don't really like them at the start but suddenly realize that you have over two hundred hours in your save file.

I'm still not sure how that happens. :suicide:

NESguerilla posted:

I guess it's that I like them on paper that bugs me. I like the look of most of them, I like hitting stuff with swords, I like customizing my guy. When I actually play them I feel so bored though. The most I've ever put into one was the most recent MH, which was probably 6 hours. Maybe they hit a point where they feel more engaging, but after I put a few hours in I feel like I should be somewhat invested but I'm just bored.

The most recent one I tried was SSD (which I guess is a little different) and after a few hours I just quit because it was just spam attacks for 3 minutes at this 1-5 monsters, kill them, repeat. I'm sure it gets more challenging but the journey sure wasn't fun. maybe it's just not my genre. Feels like so much busywork.
Yeah, these games take a while to get used to and can be repetitive when trying to farm materials to craft armor or weapons. Most of the fun is playing online with other people, the rest of the fun is just doing solo missions for the challenge (or if a mission requires it to be offline).

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 2, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

attack on titan does not remotely look like a hunting game

it looks like an omega force game

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

XCOM is a lot of down time too though. If I get really into a game down time isn't problem. It's just actually fighting monsters in these games never really feels fun to me.
That's the point though. XCOM does not have much downtime. It is on fact optimized to minimize downtime to increase demographic appeal.

As for fighting the monsters, yes, it's supposed to feel like a slog at the start and when you stumble over a new challenging element. It's your job to figure out how to make it not one.

Edit: Tried helldivers yet?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I played helldivers it was fun although it wore thin pretty quick.

I guess it's just not my genre. I think if I enjoyed the actual combat more I could get more into the idea of prep work, but as it stands I just don't find them enjoyable enough to justify it.

I'll probably still give SSD some more play when I have I the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mithaldu posted:

That's the point though. XCOM does not have much downtime. It is on fact optimized to minimize downtime to increase demographic appeal.

As for fighting the monsters, yes, it's supposed to feel like a slog at the start and when you stumble over a new challenging element. It's your job to figure out how to make it not one.

Edit: Tried helldivers yet?

XCOM2 has a lot of "downtime" but that's because they somewhat increased base management stuff. It actually strikes a good balance.

My issue with MH initially was that it had a super slow start in terms of getting to the actual monster hunting and the controls were so stiff and it felt like I should be able to target lock monsters. Eventually I got through the slow start and realized the control jank was actually part of the appeal. I never really enjoyed the multiplayer though because it was too chaotic, better-playing or better-equipped players seemed to trivialize battles, and I liked the intensity of fighting a big dangerous monster 1v1.