Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Please tell me that is either a not-very-good joke or somebody hacked his account :psyduck:

Notch's existence is a not-very-good joke. He spends all his time alienating his friends and moaning about having too much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

chitoryu12 posted:

Today, I heard from the CEO at work that the slaves were better off being enslaved because it got them out of Africa and let their descendants grow up in a first-world country.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tetracube posted:

Notch's existence is a not-very-good joke. He spends all his time alienating his friends and moaning about having too much money

Look, man, it's just so hard being rich you don't understand. He had to outbid superstars to get that mansion he lives alone in. Do you have any idea what that's like? :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He also didn't know what AD and BC meant (and didn't actually know how the calendar works) and thought the Hebrew slaves built the Egyptian pyramids.

This wouldn't be quite so funny if he didn't have an academically useless theology degree from a religious diploma mill.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

chitoryu12 posted:

He also didn't know what AD and BC meant (and didn't actually know how the calendar works) and thought the Hebrew slaves built the Egyptian pyramids.

This wouldn't be quite so funny if he didn't have an academically useless theology degree from a religious diploma mill.

I want to watch a documentary about this person.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cash crab posted:

I want to watch a documentary about this person.

As someone who works with him 5 days a week, it can be tiring. He's an old Alabama redneck with an ego bigger than the cranes he used to operate in the 70s. He constantly seems to forget that I'm not a 16-year-old intern.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

chitoryu12 posted:

Perhaps he is simply a student of the noted historian and documentary film maker Cecill B DeMille.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkwQhQZWG8

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if Stephen King will play himself when Roland and that kid travel to his dimension to save him from getting hit by that van. Boy those books got bad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Karma Monkey posted:

Perhaps he is simply a student of the noted historian and documentary film maker Cecill B DeMille.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkwQhQZWG8

Why does every boy in 1950s and prior film sound exactly like? Did Eugene Mazzola just play the kid for every Hollywood movie?

Snake Toddler
Jan 11, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

change my name posted:

Haha holy poo poo, I had to make sure that was real, and yepppp. I think being a billionaire broke his brain.

It's made kinda awkwardly since it's not even a reply to the password tweet but "hunter2" is a reference to the original bash.org quote or whatever that a lot of people probably first saw that on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tetracube posted:

I don't think it's physically possible for notch to get any more pathetic, at this point

A response to this tweet:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Garrand posted:

It's made kinda awkwardly since it's not even a reply to the password tweet but "hunter2" is a reference to the original bash.org quote or whatever that a lot of people probably first saw that on.

I was gonna point that out, but the last time I referenced anything from bash.org I got ragged on :(

Mak0rz posted:

At this point, I can't decide which story is sadder: Notch's, or Jack Whittaker's...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BobbyK posted:

I wonder if Stephen King will play himself when Roland and that kid travel to his dimension to save him from getting hit by that van. Boy those books got bad.

Yeah, the series jumped the shark big-time right around then.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mezzanine posted:

At this point, I can't decide which story is sadder: Notch's, or Jack Whittaker's...

Notch makes it a lot harder to feel any sympathy for him

By this time next year he'll have been caught running around a park naked swinging a sword at ducks and we'll just be like "lol"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mezzanine posted:

I was gonna point that out, but the last time I referenced anything from bash.org I got ragged on :(

It's really hard to be sympathetic to Notch's story because I've never seen anything said by him that made him not look like an rear end in a top hat.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

NotAnArtist posted:

It isn't. It's implied or outright stated (I can't remember, it's been forever since I read the books) that Roland's lineage is Arthurian, which would mean a sort of European ancestry, but neither can I remember his skin being described as white, though it probably was. Either way his race in not an important footnote, and honestly since the choice of actor is so different from what I envisioned I'm more interested than I would be with some Daniel Craig-esque image.

Eh, Europe didn't necessarily even exist as a continent in the universe Roland came from (though America did, or at least the Citgo Petroleum Corporation did)

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
If they got rid of Susannah's jive-talkin' alter ego entirely, it'd be all for the better. As well as her pregnancy and King's lame attempt to reference Arthurian legend. I don't get people who think Wizard and Glass was the worst book. It had a solid plot and was entertaining. The fifth book was only passable, and it was downhill from there.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Practical Demon posted:

If they got rid of Susannah's jive-talkin' alter ego entirely, it'd be all for the better. As well as her pregnancy and King's lame attempt to reference Arthurian legend. I don't get people who think Wizard and Glass was the worst book. It had a solid plot and was entertaining. The fifth book was only passable, and it was downhill from there.

Goddamn Honkey Motherfuckers

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Nuebot posted:

It's really hard to be sympathetic to Notch's story because I've never seen anything said by him that made him not look like an rear end in a top hat.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any sympathy for him either. I just imagine that before his windfall, he wasn't exactly a terrible guy or anything, just like Whittaker that I mentioned. They each were suddenly given more wealth than any one single person deserves, and they both couldn't handle it. Maybe their respective jerks were there all along, who knows.

All I can take away from either story is that, however enticing a fortune would be, I would rather live a modest life than be handed the golden ticket and immediately gently caress over the happiness of myself and everyone around me. Granted, Notch giving his coworkers the shaft was objectively not as bad as Whittaker giving his 16-year-old granddaughter an unlimited supply of drug money.

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Mar 2, 2016

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Please tell me that is either a not-very-good joke or somebody hacked his account :psyduck:

Lest we forget the sort of incredible manchild Notch is:

70 million dollar house. Candy wall.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Footage of Notch immediately after selling Minecraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm4EdHTqLhQ

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Lest we forget the sort of incredible manchild Notch is:

how long do these things last can you even finish all of them by yourself in that time

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Please tell me that's a photoshop and an adult man didn't spend actual money on this.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how long do these things last can you even finish all of them by yourself in that time

You've obviously never seen Notch.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is there really any doubt that he can and probably has eaten all of that?

It's supposed to be for visitors but he doesn't get any of those

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I imagine he just lays there using one of the M&M statues as a bed or something and holds his mouth under the slot while he pours the candy straight into his face.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Tetracube posted:

Is there really any doubt that he can and probably has eaten all of that?

It's supposed to be for visitors but he doesn't get any of those

I know I'm not the only one who thought that was kind of cool. It's colorful and would be nice to have right outside of a personal theater or arcade. It's just incredibly impractical for anyone that can't afford to hire a guy specifically to take care of his candy wall.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah just a reminder that this dude is rich as poo poo

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I imagine he only used it once or twice, after the novelty wore off he probably just forgot about it. There are more efficient ways for a billionaire to consume M&M's

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I had a job maintaining those big plastic bins of sweets, chocolates, etc.

If they sit for a while unused you find insects in them.

Don't know the kind of M&M volume Notch goes through.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I had a job maintaining those big plastic bins of sweets, chocolates, etc.

If they sit for a while unused you find insects in them.

Don't know the kind of M&M volume Notch goes through.

I found a baby grasshopper in a self serve icecream machine. Thanks for listening to my story of bribed safety inspectors!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Can I read up on this fascinating Notch character anywhere/could someone do a writeup? I played a bit of minecraft right before or after it was released but I don't know anything about the drama around it and it seems like a good story

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wonder what will happen with his money after he dies.

Which is probably soon, so I guess we just wait and see.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This gem just visited (and possibly liked, but I'm not liking back to find out) my OKCupid profile.

quote:

My self-summary
I am and have always been allergic to small-talk. I try to engage people in deep, philosophic, meaningful conversations as ostensible antidote to general, diffusive modern malaise (and apathy). I am not a fan of generalizations but for the sake of profile simplicity I will say that I am an athletic intellectual. I try to do something amazing every day for my mind and my body (if my soul wins as well that is a magical bonus).

I’m really good at
I have always been told that I am really good at getting people to open up. The amount of times people of all different kinds have said to me "I've never told anyone that before!" is uncanny. I am also great at writing songs and poems that will only be read by me (and maybe you if I so decide). I am a dynamite volleyball player and I also am incredible with animals. So dogs and writing songs on the beach all mixed into a day. Also forever re-reading Nietzsche.

The six things I could never do without
Music. Always. Every day wherever I go.
Notebook for whimsy and profound thought (sometimes this includes both vis a vis my ideas for sketch comedy)
My dog
My low-latent inhibition (it's great for aforementioned whimsy and profound thoughts/ideas)
My imagination
My inner child whom occasionally resurfaces but needs to visit me more frequently- I miss the younger me

On a typical Friday night I am
Reading several books at once whilst berating myself that I should be doing something else but not being able to because I know it won't be nearly as fulfilling

You should message me if
You are also allergic to small talk and know what it takes to be the necessary antidote for this unfortunate diffusive modern malady.
The fact that I'm a 93% match makes me strongly consider taking myself off the market.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nuclear War posted:

Can I read up on this fascinating Notch character anywhere/could someone do a writeup? I played a bit of minecraft right before or after it was released but I don't know anything about the drama around it and it seems like a good story

http://recode.net/2015/08/29/minecraft-billionaire-markus-persson-hates-being-a-billionaire/

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Isn't one of the reasons Notch lost a bunch of friends because he bilked his minecraft developing colleagues (who did a good chunk of the actual work while Notch dicked around with online card games no one cared about) out of a shitload of the microsoft money? I think he was technically entitled to it per the letter of their contracts but he could easily have shared it more equally according to input on the game, but got greedy and decided to keep it all. Then when he had it all to himself and lived in a giant mansion, he finally realised money doesn't buy happiness?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mak0rz posted:

Guy has better self-awareness than this thread.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

This gem just visited (and possibly liked, but I'm not liking back to find out) my OKCupid profile.
The fact that I'm a 93% match makes me strongly consider taking myself off the market.

Are all the threads I bookmark just bleeding together now? Am I about to wake up from a coma or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Do you smell burnt toast?