Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
poo poo happened.

Added a 1985 and 1987 Audi 4000CS Quattro pair to the family, one is a flood car and will need an engine replacement. Also needs a new rear window.

Still have a ton of parts to pick up from the PO, but he's still sorting them out.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Work day:

Bad shifter bushing on the 87 4kQ, replaced the entire shifter arm with one that had a new bushing, and I'm planning to either rebuild the shifter arms from both the flood car and the white Audi with new bushings or, if no one makes them, 3D print some nylon ones.

Starting the process of removing the destroyed engine from the flood car, which means removing the harmonic balancer. Which is quite a task on an Audi 5 cylinder, as it is torqued to 330 ft lbs (150 nm). My breaker bar was not up to the task, time for some quick work:

That did the trick.

Taking measurements to prep a 3D printed bushing for the shifter in case it is no longer made.

And needed a light for the workbench.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

We're prepping to have half the back yard leveled and a slab poured for just such things, as well as our driveway expanded and a possible roundabout if the county signs off on it.

You think gwinnett county is going to sign off on this in a residential area?

Also, my friends and I are planning a Helen driving day around the same weekend that SoWo was last year since we're not planning on going to Savannah this year since Chris' wedding is the beginning of April. I doubt we're spending the night, probably just be a day trip. I'll text you about it when I know more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

You think gwinnett county is going to sign off on this in a residential area?

They already did. They said it will increase drainage which they encourage and the CE already signed on the plans. We also are ripping up the back deck to pour a slab for either a deck or a sunroom.

SuperDucky posted:

Also, my friends and I are planning a Helen driving day around the same weekend that SoWo was last year since we're not planning on going to Savannah this year since Chris' wedding is the beginning of April. I doubt we're spending the night, probably just be a day trip. I'll text you about it when I know more.

Sounds fun! I'll be out of country for a couple months upcoming, so let's see what we can arrange.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Installed new injector lines, and broke an injector in the process.

Rust claims another victim:

Cleaned up the intake manifold and installed cleaned up hardware.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rebuilt the shifter bushings.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Is that fixture a T8? Lights up the whole garage really well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Is that fixture a T8? Lights up the whole garage really well.

T12, but I'm going to replace them with LEDs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CIS is rebuilt and cleaned up, new injector lines, replaced a bad injector, and cleaned the intake.

Engine still runs rough, backfires during idle. Checked distributor timing with a timing light, and it was off a little but its still running bad. Going to assume cam angle is off, will adjust in the AM.

All clean.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Do you have a proper CIS pressure test kit? I've got one that's just sitting here... probably needs new seals, but it was super useful when I had my 16v Rabbit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Do you have a proper CIS pressure test kit? I've got one that's just sitting here... probably needs new seals, but it was super useful when I had my 16v Rabbit.

I do not. But I know the CIS is working normally, because if I do get the engine running smooth, it idles fine and revs easily. Also: If I try to get the distributor timed towards TDC, it starts to backfire and sputter. So cam timing is my likely suspect.

But I'd be interested in your test kit!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I do not. But I know the CIS is working normally, because if I do get the engine running smooth, it idles fine and revs easily. Also: If I try to get the distributor timed towards TDC, it starts to backfire and sputter. So cam timing is my likely suspect.

But I'd be interested in your test kit!

It looks like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151939082087
Same as: http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/544452-fuel-injection-tester-for-cis-k-jetronic-bosch-systems-2.html

All 6 adapters, 100PSI gauge, etc.

\/\/ Cool. $50 shipped work for you? PM me your address, and I'll ship it over. If it still works, then we can exchange funds.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Awesome! Yeah, I've been rebuilding the CIS stuff without a tester for a long time. Never had many issues.

I gotta get Platinum back to PM you.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 5, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Timing party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeQ3DLDWk0E

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Awesome! Yeah, I've been rebuilding the CIS stuff without a tester for a long time. Never had many issues.

I gotta get Platinum back to PM you.

username at gmail works too

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

username at gmail works too

Cool. Email sent.

Spent the day cleaning/repairing the black Audi. Swapped wheels/tires with the flood car because they are in better shape. Then I started removing chassis rust since it was a northern car.

NorthernCar.jpg

Also rebuilt the parking brake lever since the actuator adjustment had rusted away and snapped

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Someone hit my 90 in a parking lot. Not bad, but dented the quarter panel :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Had issues with the black Audi where the parking lights and dash lights would not come on, turns out it was the switch.

Now I have to learn how to rebuild the light switch...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Had issues with the black Audi where the parking lights and dash lights would not come on, turns out it was the switch.

Now I have to learn how to rebuild the light switch...

I saw this on the 5000. Turn signal switch will also buzz, then burn up and emit smoke once the internal copper grease gets ate up.

I would not be surprised if the headlight portion of the combination switch is the same way.

Get a spare on hand, also take it apart over a very powerful magnet inside a box because it will explode like nothing else as soon as you open it up.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 8, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw this on the 5000. Turn signal switch will also buzz, then burn up and emit smoke once the internal copper grease gets ate up.

I would not be surprised if the headlight portion of the combination switch is the same way.

Get a spare on hand, also take it apart over a very powerful magnet inside a box because it will explode like nothing else as soon as you open it up.

I'm probably going to take a crack at 3D printing a new one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So someone offered me a bunch of CIS stuff from WX Ur Quattros, and with some research and an Audi work manual, I feel confident enough to take a crack at converting the JT block motor in my black Scrap Audi into a turbo.

Reports to follow.

I have a K26 turbo and MC1 exhaust manifold, gonna run new fuel lines and use an MC2 intake manifold. Going to shoot for intercooling since the JT is a non turbo with non-sodium filled valves and no oil squirters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Put a water meth kit on it. Dunno how you'd implement the failsafe though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Put a water meth kit on it. Dunno how you'd implement the failsafe though.

I do have a water meth pump system someone gave me. HM.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
CIS Pressure test kit is on it's way, should be there on Monday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

CIS Pressure test kit is on it's way, should be there on Monday.

I got it! I'll get some funds sent

Removing struts for spring/strut replacement

Ball joints wouldn't separate, so out came the whole thing.

One strut painted and rebuilt before time caught up with me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whoa, painting parts. Someone's going to Pebble Beach.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

More just grinding off rust and sealing the parts so they don't rust into oblivion. Its rubberized undercarriage paint.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

More just grinding off rust and sealing the parts so they don't rust into oblivion. Its rubberized undercarriage paint.

What kind are you using? I used Noxudol 900 for the first time a few weeks ago and it was like holy poo poo but also I can't get any more without making a phone call and waiting a few months.

So much better than the Canadian Tire brand asphalt undercoating.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

lol'd too much at this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

What kind are you using? I used Noxudol 900 for the first time a few weeks ago and it was like holy poo poo but also I can't get any more without making a phone call and waiting a few months.

So much better than the Canadian Tire brand asphalt undercoating.

Its 3M 03584 rattle can rubberized undercoat pain. Picked up a carton of 6 for $45.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03584-Professional-Rubberized-Undercoating/dp/B002H9CMCQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Completed the suspension rebuild this weekend, car is tracking straight and true and drives wonderfully.

Only oddity: Now the steering wheel is cocked to the left, but if I tug it left or right while driving, the tracking is correct and returns to 'center'. Huh. Anyways, I attempted to rebuild the dash due to bad lighting issues, and frankly the VDO flexible circuit board has long since given up the ghost, so I'm cataloging the connections and will break them out into an Arduino and I'll take a crack at making a basic digital dash.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hey I have that on my Subaru. I wonder what it is.

I assumed I had a hogged out front control arm bushing or something. But I've been trying to figure it out for months.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hey I have that on my Subaru. I wonder what it is.

I assumed I had a hogged out front control arm bushing or something. But I've been trying to figure it out for months.

It's bugging me still, I keep wanting to mount a camera on the back to make sure I'm not crabbing, but it drives so well and straight that I'm reassuring myself that nothings wrong.

Really just need to go have the alignment checked due to the strut job anyways.

The stench of corrosion and failure.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Those flexible circuit boards are the devil. It always cracked me up that Volvo thought they were suitable for use in taillights.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zundfolge posted:

Those flexible circuit boards are the devil. It always cracked me up that Volvo thought they were suitable for use in taillights.

They really are. I'm currently making measurements to make a solid PCB replacement with Arduino powered LCD for Tach and Fuel/Temperature.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

It's bugging me still, I keep wanting to mount a camera on the back to make sure I'm not crabbing, but it drives so well and straight that I'm reassuring myself that nothings wrong.

I've had this stupid car for like three years and it hasn't stopped doing it since. At least with two people working on it maybe we can figure it out.

I replaced the ball joints, steering rack bushings, front endlinks, all four struts, bump stops, all four strut tops. The tie rods shake-check-out fine and don't appear to be bent. Steering u-joint linkage is tight, with minimal play through the rack. Front wheel bearings don't fail the shake test.

The only thing I can see left is the steering rack itself, or the rear front control arm bushing is so pooched it lets the car change caster dynamically and scribe a weird line when I turn. But it feels a bit like it stops acting dicky when I lightly touch the brakes, too. If I stomp on the brakes from high speed I sometimes get a clunk that I can't reproduce on successive hard stops.

I know the front sway bar bushings are pooched but that shouldn't matter, it's not like they're in bind.

Since I know this is your standard repair protocol, making the car jealous by buying other cars also hasn't worked.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Since I know this is your standard repair protocol, making the car jealous by buying other cars also hasn't worked.

All it did to the white 4k is scare it up onto jackstands. Hasn't come down since.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Work work work.

Ran the battery cable, only to find out I measure it wrong, but for now it'll work and I'll re-run the cable before putting everything back in.

Cheap lithium ion flashlight by Stanley, got bad reviews on Amazon, but we got two of them for free. I like it. Its got 3 LED 'leaves' that you can fold up and make it like a camping lantern, or you can use it as a standard flashlight. Also charges your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gotta keep things grounded.

• Locked thread