Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the most delegates on Super Tuesday?
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Bernie Sanders
Jim Gilmore
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Nanomashoes posted:

No but I have a vid of Hillary comparing them to animals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0uCrA7ePno

I don't really care about that thanks for your help tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I will also vote for Hillary because I voted for Kay Hagan two years ago, and she's a much worse candidate, so I've already sold out all integrity I have as a voter.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The results are in, baby hitler wins big!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Joementum posted:

I think he stays in and tries to get the Democratic party to adopt campaign finance reform on the party platform.

Weirdly, this is the position on which I disagree with him most.

Out of curiosity, why's that?

And I think he could probably get a bunch of other stuff in the platform that he's already gotten Clinton to agree to in much easier.

Neurolimal posted:

He said start a movement, not resurrect blue dogs.

Yeah man, who needs compromise in a system built on it! gently caress that, only ideologically pure candidates in my party.

:qq: WHY DO THE REPUBLICANS KEEP WINNING CONGRESS AND CUTTING PROGRAMS I LIKE?

I don't give a gently caress if you're Karl Marx or a warmed-over blue dog, if you vote for a Democrat for Speaker and judicial nominees then you're okay by me.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Mukaikubo posted:

No exit polls in Alaska either. RIP in pieces.

Alaska is loving weird.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Homework Explainer posted:

no reason you can't do both

Yes, there is. There's no way to restrict spending in campaigns without also restricting speech.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Homework Explainer posted:

no reason you can't do both

I don't know why the system we're all supposed to be so mad about that just got opened up doesn't work well. The one that lets you give to candidates and fund downticket/local party stuff?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

rear end cobra posted:

How did Friend Ben do tonight?

he won five delegates!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Meanwhile Tea Party McFuckwad wins another two year membership to the Tortilla Coast.

Because they engage with their community and present candidates that their base wants. Blue dogs won by voter apathy and lesser evil pragmatism, and were ousted by exciting candidates. You don't emulate the Tea Party's success by learning none of this.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shinjobi posted:

A Democratic party that continues to push moderates is leaving themselves wide open to be outmaneuvered by Republicans.

Were is the evidence for this. Also taking the stance "all moderates are bad" is what turned the GOP into a flaming shitshow.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah you are. Unless you vote against him your saying "I endorse you, donald trump, to gently caress my rear end because I let you get 1 more vote that wasn't matched with an opposing one".

This is how presidential elections work in FPTP

That's not how elections work but please try your damnedest to convince me otherwise. You're really winning me over.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
This is a beautiful day, and I can say with confidence that the winner today was MAXIMUM CHAOS. He has my vote.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Joementum posted:

Yes, there is. There's no way to restrict spending in campaigns without also restricting speech.

Corporations are people, my friend.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Joementum posted:

I mean, if you look at the results in the party primaries this year, objectively yes.

Look, money is always going to find a way. Any attempt to stop that is going to run head on into free speech issues. Much better to ensure that there's a robust public financing system such that each party can compete in every district, but that's not Bernie's agenda.

Hasn't Bernie made statements in favor of public financing? Aside from the tangible impact of dark money, the appearance of impropriety is pretty bad on its own.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shinjobi posted:

A Democratic party that continues to push moderates is leaving themselves wide open to be outmaneuvered by Republicans.

Where as our "only true scotsman" approach has totally been effective in giving us exactly one branch of government.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Trump, while ruining the GoP, doesn't actually represent the national republican platform. So feel free to vote against the establishment in November. Don't let Hitlery's Eichmann's dissuade you.

God bless.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Were is the evidence for this. Also taking the stance "all moderates are bad" is what turned the GOP into a flaming shitshow.

All moderates are bad.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Joementum posted:

What about additional disclosure requirements?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

Why not

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shinjobi posted:

That's not how elections work but please try your damnedest to convince me otherwise. You're really winning me over.

Do you know what FPTP is?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Where as our "only true scotsman" approach has totally been effective in giving us exactly one branch of government.

The source of democrat ills is identity politics, agreed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lu Yan posted:

What about additional disclosure requirements?

I'm totally in favor of that. Let people give unlimited donations to campaigns and parties and disclose all donations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Noooo Vermont has been declared for Trump! RIP total chaos Kasich win.

Rubio's percentage is going down slightly to 19.3%

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nanomashoes posted:

So does America
http://www.sexycongress.net/
#1 sexiest congressperson.

It's weird how the bottom ~20 are all women. Also who the woman after the first man on the list is.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Powercrazy posted:

The source of democrat ills is identity politics, agreed.

:allears:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
To believe that money = free speech like it's a law of nature is really dumb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Because you can't decide who is and isn't allowed to give support to candidates so even with strict caps and all you're gonna get people maxing out things easily?

Like no matter what Clinton would be having tons of people giving her a large amount of money, you can't say 'no no THESE people are bad' about elections so what are you gonna do make it a fifty dollar cap or something?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also you folks adore supreme court justices too much. They're scum for 2000

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Neurolimal posted:

Because they engage with their community and present candidates that their base wants. Blue dogs won by voter apathy and lesser evil pragmatism, and were ousted by exciting candidates. You don't emulate the Tea Party's success by learning none of this.

Leftism cannot fail it can only be failed.

Blue dogs rolled in on the Obama wave. Then got ousted by assholes staying home in 2010. Get it right.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Rubiowned might be striking out in Texas with zero delegates. Only at 17%. Sad!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/secupp/status/704894866778628098

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Do you know what FPTP is?

gently caress President Trump Preemptively?

Joementum posted:

I'm totally in favor of that. Let people give unlimited donations to campaigns and parties and disclose all donations.

Seems like the only realistic shot at reform to me. At least it brings dark money into the light.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mystic_Shadow posted:

To believe that money = free speech like it's a law of nature is really dumb.

Contributing to a campaign is an act of political speech.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sometimes this forum makes me really glad back in reality the dem base is fine voting for Bernie or Clinton and isn't full of gigantic ideologue babies

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Sanders (and much of the Internet Left) love to focus on CU to the exclusivity of everything else; it's a little myopic. On the merits CU was mostly decided correctly. Money is a form of speech, Congress overreached in setting limits the way they did.

A better campaign finance law would fix the problem but no one is really interested in that, and divided Congress means that it'll never happen anyway.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bernie's brother said in an interview last week that Bernie's ultimate goal is to restructure the Democratic Party in his own vision.

If he concedes, there is 0% chance he gets that done. It's also why he wants to help downticket races.

I think he cares more about the future of the party than about being president. Being president is a means to an end.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Didn't he not campaign at all in any of those states? (oh maybe some marginal stuff in TX)

I mean he's not gonna win LA with two weeks of campaigning either, but if he does campaign there it'll be closer than the 30 point blowout.

LA is on Saturday, there's no time to campaign. This is the issue with all these states, there's no more embedding yourself in a state unless you're willing to concede the others before it. While that might work on the GOP side cuz the field is so split and you have winner-take-all states, it won't work for the Dems because every race Bernie doesn't win by 5+ points increase the lead he needs to make up in the remaining contests.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The margins in CO and MN are pretty nuts I thought those were supposed to be pretty close?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Sometimes this forum makes me really glad back in reality the dem base is fine voting for Bernie or Clinton and isn't full of gigantic ideologue babies

Right but you're trying to win internet arguments, nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Again, recall what "moderate" means in the modern political context. Tacking to the center today means just cutting SNAP as opposed to dismantling it, and other such examples. The GOP's increasing extremism was an effect of a deliberate strategy. There's no reason why the Democrats need to hold on to Third-Wayism.

• Locked thread