Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Holy gently caress.

This is the worst this thread has ever made me feel. :smith:

Edit: And now i have no new page content. gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
From PYF Dangerous chemicals/etc, talking about how and why metals taste the way they do, or don't.

Deteriorata posted:

Try chewing on some aluminum foil. You'll taste it (particularly if you have any metal dental work. :unsmigghh:)

Someone tried it

Basically, when you bite on foil, you set up a battery in your mouth and the electrical current stimulates nerve
endings in your tooth. Here is what happens:

pressure from biting brings two dissimilar metals (aluminum foil, mercury in fillings or gold in crowns)
in contact in a moist, salty environment (saliva)
the two metals have an electrochemical potential difference or voltage across them
electrons flow from the foil into the tooth (i.e. electrical current)
the current gets conducted into the tooth's root, usually by the filling or crown
the current sets off a nerve impulse in the root's nerve
the nerve impulse is sent to the brain
the brain interprets the impulse as pain

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My mouth hurts just thinking about this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Centripetal Horse posted:

Somewhere, people in a thread about dead babies are reading your missing posts.

Wait, seriously?

There's a dead baby thread and no one told me?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In the abortion thread someone was posting their workout routine over and over again in the middle of a heated debate. It was beautiful.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MisterOblivious posted:

From PYF Dangerous chemicals/etc, talking about how and why metals taste the way they do, or don't.

Someone tried it

Basically, when you bite on foil, you set up a battery in your mouth and the electrical current stimulates nerve
endings in your tooth. Here is what happens:

pressure from biting brings two dissimilar metals (aluminum foil, mercury in fillings or gold in crowns)
in contact in a moist, salty environment (saliva)
the two metals have an electrochemical potential difference or voltage across them
electrons flow from the foil into the tooth (i.e. electrical current)
the current gets conducted into the tooth's root, usually by the filling or crown
the current sets off a nerve impulse in the root's nerve
the nerve impulse is sent to the brain
the brain interprets the impulse as pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4539G-5yUgg

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

prahanormal posted:

Holy gently caress.

Hey, at least the people with the camera picked the kid up.

Fake Edit: FAITH IN HUMANITY. RESTORED!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://i.imgur.com/vP8LnSw.gifv

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/KJEQzjw.webm

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Solice Kirsk posted:

In the abortion thread someone was posting their workout routine over and over again in the middle of a heated debate. It was beautiful.

Someone happen to have links to the relevant bits? I keep hearing about this, but I gotta see it for myself.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I can never tell if the actual intent of this is to hit the fish or not, but either way, it's seriously impressive.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SpacePig posted:

I can never tell if the actual intent of this is to hit the fish or not, but either way, it's seriously impressive.

It's also the actual intent of a Boomerang. They're only meant to return if you miss, and if you miss, why are you hunting with a Boomerang.

Don't think they're intended for fishing, though.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nuebot posted:

I think China is solving the population problem in a very unconventional way.

At least it's not occidentally.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Stuff like this will always be pure strain freude for me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

SUPER
HOT

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What're the rules on this? Does he get a redo, or does that count as a throw cause the ball touched the lane or something?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Skippy McPants posted:

What're the rules on this? Does he get a redo, or does that count as a throw cause the ball touched the lane or something?

Fouls tend to be automatically detected, which he probably tripped.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Rick_Hunter posted:

Hey, at least the people with the camera picked the kid up.

Fake Edit: FAITH IN HUMANITY. RESTORED!

Looks like a real edit to me!

This is the r/politics right now:

The version of reality they're trying to hold on to, it's adorable

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

In China elevators, escalators, and even footpaths are all deadly hazards.

That's how everybody's first return trip to the Undead Asylum goes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If this happened in front of me I'd probably expect to show up on some random prank show.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If this happened in front of me I'd probably expect to show up on some random prank show.

What kind of hosed up prank show would dump kids in the middle of traffic

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Viva La Bam, probably.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Solice Kirsk posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543702&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

prahanormal posted:

Holy gently caress.

I saw a blurb on the news that mentioned the kid (which was a boy apparently) was reunited with his parents.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

It's not a foul since he doesn't officially 'deliver' the ball (let it go) and as such was never an attempt to score. As far as the rules are concerned, he's just walking around like an idiot at some time well before he takes his shot.

quote:

Legal Delivery
In order for a foul to be assessed, you must throw a legal delivery. A legal delivery is made when the ball leaves your hand and crosses the foul line. As long as you don’t let go of the ball, you can run around past the foul line all you want, although it should be obvious you shouldn’t do that.

He's actually doing the right thing by aborting the shot.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
^^^This.

ultrabindu posted:

I watched this live on tv and by rule this is not a foul. And he did get a re-throw. It is ONLY a foul if the ball leaves your hand.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What kind of hosed up prank show would dump kids in the middle of traffic

Just for Laughs's prank segment thing would probably do it, they do lots of ridiculous poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wayfinder posted:

The version of reality they're trying to hold on to, it's adorable

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Guy has $150k in student debt for what is probably an unemployable subject. Maybe suicide isn't a bad choice?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Guy has $150k in student debt for what is probably an unemployable subject. Maybe suicide isn't a bad choice?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Probably political science

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

holttho posted:

It's not a foul since he doesn't officially 'deliver' the ball (let it go) and as such was never an attempt to score. As far as the rules are concerned, he's just walking around like an idiot at some time well before he takes his shot

Huh. Never knew about the rule about the ball leaving your hand. Thought that if you triggered the sensor it was a foul.

But stop the presses. We've got some incoming pure strain early celebration freude. In a high school state championship game no less.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620788-hs-basketball-team-celebrates-state-title-prematurely-loses-on-buzzer-beater

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Is this a real person, or is this some middle-aged republican trying to write some sort of satire? Because I have a hard time believing someone would genuinely say "Bernie was my career plan".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SpacePig posted:

Is this a real person, or is this some middle-aged republican trying to write some sort of satire? Because I have a hard time believing someone would genuinely say "Bernie was my career plan".

oldpainless posted:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ultrabindu posted:

This is beautiful

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

oldpainless posted:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

I'm a left-leaning liberal in godless gay-marrying Massachusetts and I can't help but laugh at this drama queen.

I really do wonder what the lead up is to people getting so deeply into debt. Is a combo of out-of-touch parents ("You'll get a job in pay it off in no time!") and predatory schools/lending programs? I consider myself lucky that I have financially savvy parents and got a fair amount of financial aid to boot but if backstories like this guy's are common then I'm even luckier than I thought.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sudonim posted:

I'm a left-leaning liberal in godless gay-marrying Massachusetts and I can't help but laugh at this drama queen.

I really do wonder what the lead up is to people getting so deeply into debt. Is a combo of out-of-touch parents ("You'll get a job in pay it off in no time!") and predatory schools/lending programs? I consider myself lucky that I have financially savvy parents and got a fair amount of financial aid to boot but if backstories like this guy's are common then I'm even luckier than I thought.

1. High-school diplomas used to mean you were functionally literate, able to do basic math, and could play well enough with others to make it ti 18 without dropping out or winding up in prison, and were therefore basically a prerequisite for basic employment.
2. High-school diplomas are now frequently worthless and are no guarantee of any of that.
3. College diplomas are now the "you meet the basic requirements for employability" certification.
4. Loans for college are readily available, underwritten by the Federal government, and cannot be discharged by bankruptcy (the only other form of debt like that is debt incurred as part of a criminal enterprise).

So you have everybody telling kids "If you want a good job you need to go to college," a big portion of everyone saying "If you go to college you'll get a good job," the pool of money chasing college educations is effectively limitless, and there are no factors encouraging universities to control tuition costs. It's actually pretty much the opposite; since student loans expose the lender to no risk, there's every incentive to increase those costs.

So tuition soars at multiple times the rate of inflation, people take on more and more debt just to graduate with a B.A. in some generic liberal art, and then find that oh, poo poo, there's no job they can get that will let them pay off that debt in a reasonable period of time. It'd be schadenfreude if it weren't such a racket aimed at extracting what little wealth the middle class still has.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I graduated with a bachelors and can barely read or write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sudonim posted:

I really do wonder what the lead up is to people getting so deeply into debt.

If you can't afford the bill, the government offers you a shitton of money in the form of a loan that you'll totally forget you have as soon as you cash your refund check. Hell, most universities practically demand that you fill out a FAFSA (Federal Application For Student Aid) as part of the application process, and doing so is what allows them to make the oh-so-sweet offer in the first place. Interest is deferred while you're in school and the application process and acceptance of the cash are all done digitally. You're just a few clicks away from having your tuition and fees paid and even getting some some beer money every year you're there.

When you're that young, you don't realize that you're actually making a huge financial decision that could potentially stick with you for the rest of your life--all you know is "I don't owe anything right now" and "I will get a fat check in less than two weeks gently caress yeaaaaaaaa"

The schools have no incentive to advise you against taking the loans and in fact every reason to convince you to take them, for reasons covered by Phanatic earlier.

So you end up with some bullshit degree you can't do anything with (political science), finally see the loan totals after you graduate, and think gee I should go back to school so I can get a better job so I can afford to pay them back. Grad school is a good idea, right? Surely a master's degree will get me a killer job! Never mind that it's eighty billion times more expensive than my previous degree--the government says it'll loan me the cash. No problem. Well gently caress that was a bust, can't do poo poo with an M.A. in poli sci, but I can defer my loans if I go back to school for a different degree so I can pay these loans...