Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the most delegates on Super Tuesday?
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Bernie Sanders
Jim Gilmore
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Venom Snake posted:

I was replying to a post about how voting can gain you influence I was not saying that were going to see a huge amount of young leftist turnout.

All the evidence points towards Bernies base being more than happy to vote for Clinton so this makes no sense.

Sorry I'm just snarkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If you have the arrogance to think you not voting is going to matter, there are going to be a ton of Republicans who stay home instead of having to vote between two new York liberals

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Homework Explainer posted:

if you take money = speech as a given, maybe, but i do not.

Ok random internet dude. In the mean time, the law works differently.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

How about tie the maximum campaign/PAC donation to 100x the minimum wage

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

We can't get rid of FPTP because extremists are going to have a few seats in congress! We can't have public financing because public money is going to be used for a racist's campaign!

e: o wait

You can't get rid of FPTP because it's baked into our how 200+ of political elections and representation in this country's political makeup.

We can't have public financing for, well, starters, because good loving luck ever actually getting the funding mechanism to work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Money isn't speech but support of a candidate is.

Money is/isn't speech is a red herring issue, literally all it effects is if you're allowed to put a cap on money or not. Even if we decide it isn't speech again and the caps come back on you still have issues with some candidates getting donors that max out contributions in a day and some that struggle to.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Philip Rivers posted:

You aren't addressing my point whatsoever, but whether or not leftists vote for Clinton in the general will have no discernable impact on the race and do nothing to influence party politics. If leftists get involved in pushing the party towards progressivism at the state and local level then sure, but it's still lovely to demand that people vote with your candidate they don't like because the other one is worse.

I'm sorry I was being salty. But I get really riled up when it comes to voting because I hate how low turnout is amongst young voters. But yeah it's obvious with Bernies run that there is a movement to shift the Democratic party to the left. I'm not really demanding anything, more trying to emphasize that voting against the GOP is also important.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

babypolis posted:

its gonna be a bad year for dems

primary turnout has no correlation with GE turnout.

nor do polls of head-to-head matchups prior to the conventions. otherwise we would've had president dukakis, h.w. bush's 2nd term, president kerry, etc.

Shinjobi posted:

That's my point exactly. I don't send a message by voting for her. I don't send a message by not voting for her.

you actually do send a message by not voting for the candidate ideologically closest to you and that message is "gently caress trying to appeal to whatever i'm supporting because i won't vote when the chips are down unless you give me 100% of what i want and even then maybe not". this is why you don't see any non-insane candidate running on a platform that appeals primarily to 18-30 year-olds because they dont vote.

the evangelical wing didn't get influential in the GOP by constantly acting like some amazing prize to be won. they voted and then by wielding influence in the primaries they pushed candidates in the direction they wanted. it took decades but they now have substantial influence in the party. sitting at home jerking off to your ideological purity gets you nothing.

axeil has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Mar 2, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Trump is the least horrible republican candidate. That speaks less to Trump being a good potential president and more to the fact that a neoliberal with energy is better than neoconservative sleep aid spokesmen.

Carson cant even stay awake on stage jfc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I don't understand how your differentiate between spending you like versus spending you don't like.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Epic High Five posted:

How about tie the maximum campaign/PAC donation to 100x the minimum wage

We already limit PAC/Campaign donations to less than that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Quorum posted:

the candidate I like is Jesus and the other candidate(s) is mega hitler, so anyone who votes for any candidates other than mine in the primary is at least microhitler, and should be banished from the party

Microhitler doesn't sound that bad, honestly. Like, at that kind of a scale he's probably just got a bit of a temper and ambivalent feelings about Woody Allen.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Maybe MN is the troll state. We gave Rubio a win, which keeps him in it longer. More entertainment for everyone! :buddy:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

Drumpf is the least horrible republican candidate. That speaks less to Drumpf being a good potential president and more to the fact that a neoliberal with energy is better than neoconservative sleep aid spokesmen.

Carson cant even stay awake on stage jfc

Hahahahahahahahaha

Joementum posted:

I don't understand how your differentiate between spending you like versus spending you don't like.

Also this, how do we do this without also, say, crippling unions' ability to support leftwing options?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

axeil posted:

the evangelical wing didn't get influential in the GOP by constantly acting like some amazing prize to be won. they voted and then wielding influence in the primaries to push candidates in the direction they wanted. it took decades but they now have substantial influence in the party. sitting at home jerking off to your ideological purity gets you nothing.

I'm not sitting at home.

If anyone is going to respond to me please try to actually read what I'm typing please.:3:

Minsky
May 23, 2001

heh gj bernie

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You can't get rid of FPTP because it's baked into our how 200+ of political elections and representation in this country's political makeup.

We can't have public financing for, well, starters, because good loving luck ever actually getting the funding mechanism to work.

Once again, it all boils down to "can't change tradition, gotta stick with establishment politics."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Money = speech actually makes a lot of sense to me, but it just makes me think that a country that doesn't provide it's citizens with the basics (house, health, food, education, etc) is actively infringing on free speech by forcing poor people to spend that money on necessities and having none to actually use to make a statement.

Has anyone tried using Citizen's United to argue for socialized healthcare yet?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That is now how the "board of directors" for the parent company for a newsite works.

Yeah, they only have infinitely more power than my boss does. Not that it matters, there are probably lots of pro-clinton shills staffed that she probably doesn't need to make a telephone call or anything.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yoshifan823 posted:

Everyone's political opinions deserve funding, even the horrible racists.

Now let me tell you about my party that is founded entirely upon lowering the minimum wage to 1 cent and requiring all African-Americans to work for me and my industry but DON'T WORRY IT'S TOTALLY NOT SLAVERY I SWEAR oh I get public funding awesome thank you for this money, state of Louisiana.

But enough about the state democratic party being complicit in slavery.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

I'm sorry I was being salty. But I get really riled up when it comes to voting because I hate how low turnout is amongst young voters. But yeah it's obvious with Bernies run that there is a movement to shift the Democratic party to the left. I'm not really demanding anything, more trying to emphasize that voting against the GOP is also important.

I canvas and do GOTV stuff so I also agree that voting is important! I just think the presidential election is a spectacle that distracts people from actually participating in politics and if you'd rather not check a box for either presidential candidate then fine by me, it won't actually matter because your vote is so wildly dilute by how the EC works anyway.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

If it's a race between him and Cruz this is true.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

That is actually true tho. Trump has accidentally argued for a few (very small and kinda inconsequential) liberal positions, such as allowing the government to bargain with pharma companies for Medicare, whereas I think Ted Cruz would not be truly happy until God was elected permanent president/ruler of The Godnited Gods of Godmerica.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I live in Louisiana and everyone is really dumb here

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

uncurable mlady posted:

I lost some of my respect for Vermont tonight, just FYI.

Will still come over for maple syrup and possibly legal weed whenever that finally loving happens.

Republicans in Vermont are basically unicorns.

I guess there are 30,000 of them but still.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Lu Yan posted:

Ok random internet dude. In the mean time, the law works differently.

it's a real shame the law is written in stone, huh

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Also this, how do we do this without also, say, crippling unions' ability to support leftwing options?

Well in theory union members outnumber the capitalists, thus they could maybe "vote" for the candidate they support, and given their superior numbers, they would win vs the fewer, yet richer, nominees.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Joe, for the second Super Tuesday, could you make separate threads for Dems and GOP? Seeing the reactions of Trump speech virgins isn't worth these neverending arguments.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
A vote for the green party is a vote for polio.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yoshifan823 posted:

That is actually true tho. Trump has accidentally argued for a few (very small and kinda inconsequential) liberal positions, such as allowing the government to bargain with pharma companies for Medicare, whereas I think Ted Cruz would not be truly happy until God was elected permanent president/ruler of The Godnited Gods of Godmerica.

tbqf, God would be a pretty good PotUS.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I don't think Kasich or Rubio are as bad as Trump, but it's close.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jewel Repetition posted:

Joe, for the second Super Tuesday, could you make separate threads for Dems and GOP? Seeing the reactions of Trump speech virgins isn't worth these neverending arguments.

I'll not be making any threads for contests going forward, so it's up to whomever else wants to do it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized that Bernie's been winning the primaries in the swing states so far. What are the odds that those former Bernie voters, faced with voting for Clinton, don't vote or--even worse--vote Republican in the general?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you're hoping to make a political statement with a GE vote then you waited way too long. The GE is the payoff. All change is local.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Total Democratic Voters

TOTAL

Total Republican Voters

TOTAL

Hahahaha Jesus. Also I got all of those numbers from here :

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2016/primaries/2016-03-01#AK-GOP

Then just only included states that were Democrat and Republican Primary.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

I'll not be making any threads for contests going forward, so it's up to whomever else wants to do it.

Oh. Did you hate how this one went or just not consider them important anymore since the nominees are clear?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah, they only have infinitely more power than my boss does. Not that it matters, there are probably lots of pro-clinton shills staffed that she probably doesn't need to make a telephone call or anything.

Jesus christ you're an idiot.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Once again, it all boils down to "can't change tradition, gotta stick with establishment politics."

And just how do you propose, in concrete terms, to do either.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

I just realized that Bernie's been winning the primaries in the swing states so far. What are the odds that those former Bernie voters, faced with voting for Clinton, don't vote or--even worse--vote Republican in the general?

0. Every poll so far has indicated his supports are fine voting for Clinton and visa versa.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Getting 25% more voters out is pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

lelandjs posted:

Hillary won virtually every swing state in 2008 and that was a far more divisive election.

• Locked thread