Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Ah, understood then.

Extra time to answer is just one of the benefits of active listening. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
a "poortmanteau" you might say.

Also, another mission, another shiv on the scrapheap. By the numbers.

Also also, that intermission was great, good times all round (except for those who had a less good time).

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

what is this word
I like this word, even if it was intended in a way different to how I'm reading it - that you're forgetting that you're not a Jedi, that the mind tricks aren't real, and no-one is buying your bullshit just because you're being dismissive about it.

This doesn't even fit in the context first used, by I still like it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

You do definitely get a sectoid corpse out of a mechtoid. It's in the description of the autopsy, though usually by the time you get to the point where you're fighting mechtoids you don't really care about sectoid corpses except to sell them.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

seaborgium posted:

You do definitely get a sectoid corpse out of a mechtoid. It's in the description of the autopsy, though usually by the time you get to the point where you're fighting mechtoids you don't really care about sectoid corpses except to sell them.

I believe you only get the corpse if you didn't explode the mechtoid, but you always get the mechtoids wreck whether you blow it up or not?

Not 100% sure though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ProfessorBooty posted:

I don't know why but I find this hilarious.

Thanks

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Tell me if this is a bad place but this is the one thread that is about xcom 2.

I'm locked away with a few buds with tablets only and xcom 2 is available on them.. How's the multiplayer? Does it work?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Affi posted:

Tell me if this is a bad place but this is the one thread that is about xcom 2.

I'm locked away with a few buds with tablets only and xcom 2 is available on them.. How's the multiplayer? Does it work?

It does work. Just not perfectly. It's functional in itself, but it has gigantic delays between actions. So you're basically forced to play with infinite turn timers.

If you can stomach that, though, it works fine. Also, there IS a proper xcom EW/ XCOM 2 thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762067

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

New Stuff

Psi Panic vs. Mind Merge

Psi panic panics the selected unit for 1 + (caster's will/50) turns. If the caster's will is say, 75, then it is a guaranteed 2 turns of panic, and a 50% chance for a third turn (remainder/50 is the chance for an extra turn). The takeaway is that it's important to get the caster's will as high as possible to maximize how many turns the unit is panicked. Watch out for bad guys with Neural Dampening!

According to the tool tip, a 100% chance to panic will always be displayed. This sucks, but it can be worked around. Effectively the chance to psi panic a given unit will always be 10% less than mind fray (for the same caster).

Mind merge gives +25% chance to crit, 25+ (caster's will/10) will, and (caster's will/50) DR. The bonus will is integer division (rounded down), and the DR is floating division (remainder goes into %-chance for one more DR).

Psi panic is arguably one of the most powerful abilities in the game, because it shuts down ethereals. A panicked ethereal cannot reflect. Unfortunately, ethereals have a lot of will. So how we apply bonuses is important, particularly with inspiration/mind merge. I don't know if the 'psionically active' status was intentionally added by long war, or if its some sort of strange hard-coded thing, but it is a huge pain in the rear end. In general, we want to cast mind merge on the intended unit before giving them other will buffs (such as psi inspiration). We'll see this pop up reasonably often even when I do my best to avoid it so it might not be worth spending a lot of time talking about it here.

As powerful as psi panic is, its probably more important to have units with mind merge so we can get those really high %-chances of getting a successful psi panic to begin with. I intended on giving medics and assaults psi panic, and most other units mind merge. There will be exceptions of course.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
So theoretically, what are we looking at for a max buffed psi panic and what does that translate to vs an ethereal?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Rusty Calderon?! :haw:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

At first Seekers made me really sad... but then I went ":swanlake:". Thanks Eggsaile!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Rick_Hunter posted:

So theoretically, what are we looking at for a max buffed psi panic and what does that translate to vs an ethereal?

I did some envelope calculations and we're looking at 60 - 75% chance to panic an ethereal. That isn't great, but that translates to a 70 - 85% chance to mind fray an ethereal. A mind fray is a -25 will debuff, so a successful mindfray will become a >95% chance to panic an ethereal. This requires a lot of setup if we plan on fraying and panicking with two different soldiers, but by using command we can get the fray/panic off with one soldier. A hidden advantage to requiring so many will buffs to perform this is that we're looking at a will of around 170 on our soldier and the ethereal is shutdown for 4-5 turns. This all sounds kind of crazy but I try to go psi heavy on all of my squads, and back in the day I would make it my plan to handle a single ethereal with psi panic, and two ethereals with mind control.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man the universe is conspiring to keep us away from the base assault!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

I did some envelope calculations and we're looking at 60 - 75% chance to panic an ethereal. That isn't great, but that translates to a 70 - 85% chance to mind fray an ethereal. A mind fray is a -25 will debuff, so a successful mindfray will become a >95% chance to panic an ethereal. This requires a lot of setup if we plan on fraying and panicking with two different soldiers, but by using command we can get the fray/panic off with one soldier. A hidden advantage to requiring so many will buffs to perform this is that we're looking at a will of around 170 on our soldier and the ethereal is shutdown for 4-5 turns. This all sounds kind of crazy but I try to go psi heavy on all of my squads, and back in the day I would make it my plan to handle a single ethereal with psi panic, and two ethereals with mind control.

So say an average psi trooper's will is 60 and their mind merger is 60 too.

60 (Psi Trooper) + 30 (Psi Inspiration) + 31 (Mind Merge) + 10 (Aurora Armor) + 25 (Mind Shield) + 25 (Mind Frayed Defender) = 181

But we're probably fighting Ethereals with 120 - 135 will and I thought psi success chance was linear. What am I overlooking?

Edit: Nevermind, found it on the Xcom Long War reddit.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 2, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It looked like there was some lag with the Line-of-Sight Indicator mod. Too bad, it's really helpful in XCOM 2, hopefully they get it working better.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it looks like it has the same issue i had with the one in xcom 2 though, in that it doesn't do you any good if you can't see both the enemy and the position on the same screen

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Only if every mission worked like the last one.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Those mechtoids melted beautifully.

Here's hoping I don't fail to learn poo poo in the tank this time round...

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Now that you're getting started on retaking ground from the aliens, what's your strategy for expanding your air force? Are you going to fill out your air bases with pheonix cannon interceptors or are you going to wait for the next best thing in weaponry/chassis?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Elth posted:

Now that you're getting started on retaking ground from the aliens, what's your strategy for expanding your air force? Are you going to fill out your air bases with pheonix cannon interceptors or are you going to wait for the next best thing in weaponry/chassis?

Depends on what happens with South America. If we still have South America at the start of January I'll consider purchasing more phoenix cannon interceptors, if we lose one of the countries I'll probably call that continent a wash and focus on Asia.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

That map is the worst map in the entire game for long war. I hate it.

also booty are you going to do multiple base assaults in a month or just the one?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Wouldn't multiple base assaults bring multiple base defenses? That would put quite a strain on the barracks.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I would like to do two in December but realistically we will probably only be able to pull off one. Even if we get the 'XCOM threat level' to maximum the aliens need resources to pull off a base assault. Its not possible in a non-dynamic-war playthrough to have multiple XCOM HQ assaults in a month, and depending on alien resource levels its conceivable they won't have the money to do one anyway.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

I would like to do two in December but realistically we will probably only be able to pull off one. Even if we get the 'XCOM threat level' to maximum the aliens need resources to pull off a base assault. Its not possible in a non-dynamic-war playthrough to have multiple XCOM HQ assaults in a month, and depending on alien resource levels its conceivable they won't have the money to do one anyway.

So they're as broke as we are. :waycool:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SaffronKit is terrifying, holy crap. Just casually overkilling a Thin Man three times over, no big deal. :swanlake: indeed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rick_Hunter posted:

Wouldn't multiple base assaults bring multiple base defenses? That would put quite a strain on the barracks.

LW base defense has nothing to do with base assaults; it has to do with alien resources, XCOM's "threat level", and probably RNG. You can have a base defense before you've even launched your first assault.

I know one is guaranteed by March of year 2 if one hasn't happened yet.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm putting together the streams. I have the first video uploaded and ready.

Please note that I didn't take this playthrough seriously at all. I have my beefs and gripes with XCOM 2 but in general its a fun game. I finished a campaign on Veteran and I plan on starting a new campaign on Commander/Ironman. Any game that warrants a replay is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0s4KtyAo-I

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'm putting together the streams. I have the first video uploaded and ready.

Please note that I didn't take this playthrough seriously at all. I have my beefs and gripes with XCOM 2 but in general its a fun game. I finished a campaign on Veteran and I plan on starting a new campaign on Commander/Ironman. Any game that warrants a replay is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0s4KtyAo-I

But Booty, YOU NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND!! :argh:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

maybe YOU never do

Long War question - was the rest of Africa just not worth taking back at this time or?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Veloxyll posted:

maybe YOU never do

Long War question - was the rest of Africa just not worth taking back at this time or?

The Asia bonus is much better for us (discount on foundry projects). We may retake Africa, but its bonus isn't nearly as neat (discount on workshops/labs).

edit: And only one Africa country bonus is remotely attractive.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 3, 2016

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm trying, honest I'm trying. Eventually I'll get promoted.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

ProfessorBooty posted:

edit: And only one Africa country bonus is remotely attractive.
To you right now, or in any game ever? Is there a playstyle that makes the Africa bonuses viable, or does it just suck to be that continent in this game?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Endomorphic posted:

To you right now, or in any game ever? Is there a playstyle that makes the Africa bonuses viable, or does it just suck to be that continent in this game?

Most of the country starting bonuses in Africa are absolutely amazing, there's a great reason to start on any one of the three countries. I would argue that the satellite bonuses aren't that great, and the continent bonus is nice, but not a game changer.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Most of the country starting bonuses in Africa are absolutely amazing, there's a great reason to start on any one of the three countries.

I consistently start in South Africa when I play; one of the available start bonuses there is a straight +1HP for all soldiers. Every time I have someone get shot down to 1HP (constantly, since I'm not really good at this) I feel like my start choice is vindicated all over again.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Perk Talk

Lock N' Load vs. Bombard vs. Sprinter (Gunnery Sergeant Medic).

The only new perk here is Bombard. We've seen enemies with bombard but we haven't seen it appear on our trees yet. Bombard gives +50% throwing distance. For Medics this is a 15 tile throw, and for Engineers (who start with Grenadier) this is a 17 tile throw. This is a ridiculously powerful perk, and it's very frightening in the hands of the enemy. It's so powerful that I wish it wasn't even in the game so aliens wouldn't get it. Also: This perk is why we typically choose indestructible half-cover over destructible full cover.

Kind of simple: For the dedicated overwatch medic (rapid reaction, opportunist), take lock n' load. For the support medic (takes support grenades), go for bombard, for any other build choose sprinter. It is tempting to take lock 'n load for a paramedic medic because of the potential action economy, but using a medkit will end the turn if a reload is performed with lock n' load. For the paramedic sprinter is really nice because you can run in from far away, heal, then run away again, keeping the medic out of danger and the front-liner in the fray.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 4, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just finished the mission before this one. Those two abductors are annoying, I wanted to see a base assault :(

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

The mission splash image makes it look like you're fighting a loving cyber demon. :stare:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that is quite the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Rick_Hunter posted:

The mission splash image makes it look like you're fighting a loving cyber demon. :stare:

Maybe they are :tinfoil:

• Locked thread