Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I was told that One Punch Man saved anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I was told that One Punch Man saved anime

The only way to save anime is to kill it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
OPM is the next massively overhyped thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like it better than Kill la Kill at least.

There's probably DBZ crossover fanart of that too.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

How about instead of posting stuff like this, explain yourself. Or is it another case of goons overhype it.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 2, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shindragon posted:

How about instead of posting stuff like this, explain yourself.

My statement is pretty blunt. I still like OPM as its pretty fun. Overhyped doesn't have to mean bad.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Fair enough.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Supers animation is made worse because its no more detailed than the Z anime was, but is much more crisp in HD.

Makes it look like its drawn in Paint :psyduck:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Veg posted:

Supers animation is made worse because its no more detailed than the Z anime was, but is much more crisp in HD.

Makes it look like its drawn in Paint :psyduck:

I hate whatever effect they use for God Ki though

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

My statement is pretty blunt. I still like OPM as its pretty fun. Overhyped doesn't have to mean bad.
Usually we say "hyped", as "overhyped" means it is a Bad Thing™ getting too much unjust attention.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

SirKibbles posted:

I hate whatever effect they use for God Ki though

I've hated most of everything in Super so far.

I'm sticking to the manga for the foreseeable future.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's a part of me that wants to see super animated the old way in standard def.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Usually we say "hyped", as "overhyped" means it is a Bad Thing™ getting too much unjust attention.

Nah. "Overhyped" applies to a lot of good things that go from "this is good" to "Oh GOD best thing EVER I must never stop talking about it." Also known as the Dark Souls Effect

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Or the Gurren Lagaan effect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Or the "everything a significant amount of people has ever liked" effect that you should really stop caring about

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Now that the anime is ahead of the manga I've started watching it. I heard the animation was bad, but I still wasn't prepared for this. I guess the Super manga will be the definitive version when it's finished.

I'd be surprised if the Manga stays where it finished up considering it's jumped ahead a bit in the past. It'll probably end up jumping around and not being very coherent when finished.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd be surprised if the Manga stays where it finished up considering it's jumped ahead a bit in the past. It'll probably end up jumping around and not being very coherent when finished.

It jumped ahead because the same artist did a manga for RoF already I believe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

Or the "everything a significant amount of people has ever liked" effect that you should really stop caring about

Overhyped is "anything people REALLY like that I either only kinda like or actually dislike". Occasionally you get Spore or something like that tho.

How are they gonna handle the anime/manga divide, actually? Should we expect ridiculous amounts of filler very soon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dias posted:

Overhyped is "anything people REALLY like that I either only kinda like or actually dislike". Occasionally you get Spore or something like that tho.

How are they gonna handle the anime/manga divide, actually? Should we expect ridiculous amounts of filler very soon?

The manga for Super is a tie-in designed to promote the anime, not vice-versa. They probably will just go past it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Also, people constantly complaining about the animation REALLY need to look at the original series.

I did, I watched the entire Buu saga before I started on DB Super, and I found really large difference in animation quality. Maybe if you want to compare it to some old Dragonball episodes or early seasons of DBZ, but against the Buu saga DB Super is decidedly inferior in terms of animation quality.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I gotta say, the most recent episodes of super, I guess I haven't really noticed the terrible animation or whatever. Like I'm not trying to say it's the Miyazaki or anything, but it's not taking me out of the show or anything. That has happened with earlier episodes like the Goku/Beerus fight at King Kai's that my avatar's from but it's been fine recently. Maybe I'm just a moron.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I did, I watched the entire Buu saga before I started on DB Super, and I found really large difference in animation quality. Maybe if you want to compare it to some old Dragonball episodes or early seasons of DBZ, but against the Buu saga DB Super is decidedly inferior in terms of animation quality.

Really? You might want to rewatch the Buu saga because it had some hilariously terrible animation. Characters changed models from scene to scene and while it had different kinds of bad animation it still had really bad animation.

Not that that is anything new.

such high quality animation...

Fortunately dramatic scenes looked goo...

Okay but maybe...

Well they at least...

Okay but the movies...

I mean I dislike the coloring in Super (and generally am not super-fond of cheap digital coloring in general) but the actual animation in the original DBZ was rear end 90% of the time. That doesn't excuse crappy animation but it isn't really new.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 2, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Really? You might want to rewatch the Buu saga because it had some hilariously terrible animation. Characters changed models from scene to scene and while it had different kinds of bad animation it still had really bad animation.

I don't think this one is fair, this is just a consequence of the medium. Its a weekly show, as it was meant to be seen, a person would have 7 full days between seeing those two scenes, so it wouldn't be that jarring. Now of course, it is more noticeable in our modern world of Blu-rays and TV show marathons, but I will give them some slack.

The other ones are hilariously bad :v:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rutibex posted:

I don't think this one is fair, this is just a consequence of the medium. Its a weekly show, as it was meant to be seen, a person would have 7 full days between seeing those two scenes, so it wouldn't be that jarring. Now of course, it is more noticeable in our modern world of Blu-rays and TV show marathons, but I will give them some slack.

The other ones are hilariously bad :v:

:suicide:

Consequence of the medium? Don't try and say that Super is bad because it's just not animated well, and then try and white knight the exact same problem in the saga you claim is animated better. it's not like a week has gotten longer in the time between the Buu Saga and Super.

Anime in general is a victim of it's own success, and it's been said several times in interviews with animators. There just isn't enough time in the Japanese animation schedule to warrant the production schedules that they adhere to. It isn't a recent problem either.

The speed at which people consume and can give feedback on products is insanely faster than previous generations, exacerbating the problem to the nth degree.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Weekly long-form shows with little in the way of "off-season" time are always gonna have poo poo like this. Hell shows with less demanding schedules have these issues.

Super's animation is okay, it's predictably inconsistent. It does have a different art and coloring style from the original though so I can easily see how people would like it less than the original.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Augus posted:

Weekly long-form shows with little in the way of "off-season" time are always gonna have poo poo like this. Hell shows with less demanding schedules have these issues.

Super's animation is okay, it's predictably inconsistent. It does have a different art and coloring style from the original though so I can easily see how people would like it less than the original.

The coloring I totally agree with. While it doesn't bother me, I can see that argument. However claiming that the animation in the old show was somehow perfect and this is making GBS threads all over it? That is obscene. The problem is that even shows like Attack on Titan have had this issue, and that Anime had a much shorter run. The main problem I see is just the fact that we're in HD now, so you can't hide nearly as much poo poo as you used to be able to get away with, and the fact that the internet let's you bitch about something for minimal effort. It's not like 20+ years ago when you would have to take out a pen and paper, and write out your opinion, mail it to a studio and hope it got read by someone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The coloring I totally agree with. While it doesn't bother me, I can see that argument. However claiming that the animation in the old show was somehow perfect and this is making GBS threads all over it? That is obscene. The problem is that even shows like Attack on Titan have had this issue, and that Anime had a much shorter run. The main problem I see is just the fact that we're in HD now, so you can't hide nearly as much poo poo as you used to be able to get away with, and the fact that the internet let's you bitch about something for minimal effort. It's not like 20+ years ago when you would have to take out a pen and paper, and write out your opinion, mail it to a studio and hope it got read by someone.

Attack on Titan had some particularly hilarious ones.

"Eh, nobody'll notice."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

"Eh, nobody'll notice."

Re-rendering a scene where you accidentally used the old version is probably making everyone at Madhouse cry. I don't think any of these mistakes we show off are really a result of laziness as much as human errors where the cost to fix them don't justify just moving on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Re-rendering a scene where you accidentally used the old version is probably making everyone at Madhouse cry. I don't think any of these mistakes we show off are really a result of laziness as much as human errors where the cost to fix them don't justify just moving on.

To be fair that's true of a lot of things. For some reason people just default to 'they're lazy' when the poor bastard actually responsible for doing poo poo on a tight deadline is probably the opposite of lazy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Not sure if HD is really the main problem, no amount of pixels per inch is going to hide a scene that's just a still frame with talking over it (see: AoT)
I think it's just the industry is too big for its own good and the schedules are too tight for a reasonable standard of quality to ever be maintained by human beings

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The argument for HD being bad for disguising cut corners is that screens are generally much, much larger now so the cut corners take up a lot more real estate and picture quality is a lot clearer than it used to be.

When you're watching Dragonball Z in fuzzy old 480p on a 20inch CRT TV or so, that's going to go a long way to disguising that Vegeta stood over in the corner looks like poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My biggest issue with DBS is the coloring, but I bet they're swamping broke-rear end illustrators with that on top of animation under an impossible schedule. Some people use the "but look at how much money it makes" counter-argument when it comes to bad animation in these series, but it's really not a problem that could be solved just by throwing cash at it - it's just not how production works.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dias posted:

My biggest issue with DBS is the coloring, but I bet they're swamping broke-rear end illustrators with that on top of animation under an impossible schedule. Some people use the "but look at how much money it makes" counter-argument when it comes to bad animation in these series, but it's really not a problem that could be solved just by throwing cash at it - it's just not how production works.

A season system for animated shows would probably help. Having a year-ish to do 26 episodes ought to improve quality.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the 7 year olds this stuff is made for could really really give a flying poo poo

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

"Eh, nobody'll notice."

To be fair, I totally didn't notice.

I guess animation just looks better when you're not dissecting the stills.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Covok posted:

A season system for animated shows would probably help. Having a year-ish to do 26 episodes ought to improve quality.

A lot of anime does that.

Then there are longer shows that just air continuously.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Aurora posted:

A lot of anime does that.

Then there are longer shows that just air continuously.

I know. I'm really just commenting that the "continuous" system is kind of meh. The animation tends to be worse and the workers probably live in perpetual crunch time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the problem is less Super's animation and how you can look at any single still of the show and see something janky and bad.

Even One Piece doesn't have that problem to the degree Super does. It's straight up the bottom of Toei's barrel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

I think the problem is less Super's animation and how you can look at any single still of the show and see something janky and bad.

Even One Piece doesn't have that problem to the degree Super does. It's straight up the bottom of Toei's barrel.

One Piece is a lot worse than Super. At least Super can show movement, One Piece constantly fails at even showing the bare minimum of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

That's a pretty silly exaggeration. "Every single frame of this show is bad" isn't even an argument because there are plenty of frames which look fine.

• Locked thread