Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

BgRdMchne posted:

Suing someone for chipped paint sounds like a really good idea!

That's fair, I think I deserve that, but my counterpoint is that I feel the cement truck company is likely genuinely at fault just based on the bounce and the size of this rock. Am I so wrong, though? I'm pulling the video now, I'll admit I haven't watched it yet, I just know well enough whether the camera's wide-angle lens will catch the details, so I expect the rock hitting me will be captured or at least most of it, but my recollection isn't good enough to really decide if I'll be able to see it leave the truck in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm thinking that if you were driving in an adjacent lane behind a box truck, and the truck's back door was open and an unsecured dolly rolled out into the road, bounced and tore up your car, you might have something going for you. A rock, not so much.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
its a brand new car, give your insurance company their license plate number and file the claim

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Thanks again; as frustrating as all this is, and as conflicting as all the advice I've been given, I'm most likely to follow Wickerman's advice. I'm planning on getting clear bra material to protect the front-facing bits, just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Oddhair posted:

Thanks again; as frustrating as all this is, and as conflicting as all the advice I've been given, I'm most likely to follow Wickerman's advice. I'm planning on getting clear bra material to protect the front-facing bits, just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

There is universal agreement among the legal experts in this thread that you should have bought a used car.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
he should have bought a motorcycle so that when the rock hit him and forced him to put his bike down, he could sue for hundreds of thousands. (million(s) if he died)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Depends on your damages. Call your insurance company, tell them you have a video, get an estimate to repair. Assuming you have collision/comprehensive coverage, decide whether you want to pay your deductible and hope they recover it for you.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Depends on your damages. Call your insurance company, tell them you have a video, get an estimate to repair. Assuming you have collision/comprehensive coverage, decide whether you want to pay your deductible and hope they recover it for you.

Dont do what Phil says, he practices the Napoleonic code.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If I sued someone every time a rock hit my car and did damage to it, well, I'd probably be pretty poor.

The 4 chips in my windshield cost $75 to repair total.

You should probably never drive your new car in Canada in the winter if you're afraid of rocks hitting it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
live in a bubble dont ever go outside dont breathe dont eat gmo poisons

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wickerman posted:

I only eat non-gmo poisons. All natural for me!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Wickerman posted:

Then you'll never die, which means your federal student loans will never be discharged.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

Then you'll never die, which means your federal student loans will never be discharged.

You could always just pay them o.......

Oh.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

BgRdMchne posted:

You could always just pay them o.......

Oh.

tell that to my 140k valparaiso law degree

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In Ohio, what is the status of a lease if a mom-and-pop landlord sells their rental property to another small landlord? Does it matter if the new owners mail an informal and very general letter notifying the tenants that they don't plan on changing anything, but don't actually send new leases for the tenants to sign?

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
You should read the current lease. It's unusual for a commercial lease to restrict the Landlord's ability to assign the lease upon sale or as part of a financing. Generally a lender or purchaser will be obligated to honor the existing terms of your lease, since they will be at least on constructive notice of your tenancy, assuming you are in physical occupancy of the space. Typically there would be no need to sign a "new lease," although you may be asked to sign some form of acknowledgement of your tenancy or estoppel certificate. If you don't know what any of this means you should have a quick conversation with a small business real estate lawyer in ohio.

Leopold Stotch fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 29, 2016

Azide
Oct 12, 2013

Azide fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Are you worried about getting a ticket in the mail for your illegal drugs?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Are you worried about getting a ticket in the mail for your illegal drugs?

This is what I'd be worried about. Make 100% sure your ticket doesn't have a court date.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
For half of that post I thought that "kiss the white line" was a euphemism for doing coke and was waiting for it to take a hilarious turn.

Azide
Oct 12, 2013

Azide fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 31, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not a lawyer, but you're dumb for having modafinil when adrafinil is completely legal. It just takes a little longer to kick in.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah watch your mail, especially if that's how you order your controlled drugs.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah watch your mail, especially if that's how you order your controlled drugs.

so you can make sure to pick up your next shipment

KillHour posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but you're dumb for having modafinil when adrafinil is completely legal. It just takes a little longer to kick in.

there is no reason to be driving around with any significant quantity of drugs, legal or illegal. a cop who is having a bad day can make the next few months of your life hell if it hits on their reagent kit, even if they end up dropping the charges later after it goes to BCI (state crime lab in columbus OH)

even if its prescription, driving around with it in not tucked away in your possessions (aka not in the trunk) can potentially make a circumstantial case for drug trafficking if it's a CII, you have a pill count that's off, and you have some cash in your wallet. This has actually happened to someone I know, so.

Be lucky you didnt get pegged for the expired registration. also stop growing shrooms and pay for your tags dude. a year renewal is only like $35 bucks. https://www.oplates.com

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Piggybacking on the questions about drugs, does TSA give you a hassle about having prescription drugs in one of those pill-a-day things? I am flying with only carryon for the first time in a long time, and take about a zillion things (literally, 9 daily prescription meds at the moment) that I get in 90-day bottles, so I'd rather do the pill-a-day, but if I got my meds confiscated I would be beyond hosed.

Websites about travel are all, "Oh, go to the pharmacy and have them give you little bottles" but the people at my pharmacy are overworked and I don't want to take an hour or two out of my life to do this unless it's absolutely necessary.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Domestic, tsa don't give a gently caress if it isn't liquid.
International, bring the bottles, make sure drug is actually lefal with a scrip (dubai for example, will gently caress with you).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Piggybacking on the questions about drugs, does TSA give you a hassle about having prescription drugs in one of those pill-a-day things? I am flying with only carryon for the first time in a long time, and take about a zillion things (literally, 9 daily prescription meds at the moment) that I get in 90-day bottles, so I'd rather do the pill-a-day, but if I got my meds confiscated I would be beyond hosed.

Websites about travel are all, "Oh, go to the pharmacy and have them give you little bottles" but the people at my pharmacy are overworked and I don't want to take an hour or two out of my life to do this unless it's absolutely necessary.

If your pharmacy won't do this for you, find a new pharmacy because yours is terrible. Don't show up at 5pm on a weeknight and expect it to take 2 seconds, just call ahead and pick them up later or something. Depending on the computer system it could be time consuming but mainly is just something that screws up the flow if they're busy.

If you don't want to carry nine 10 dram vials, ask if they would just reprint the labels or stick them to a sheet of paper for you as a reference sheet (we didn't like to just give out labels but would happily slap them on a vial or assemble a sheet for you). We labeled additional bottles (kids taking school doses, people needing one for work/home, etc) and made reference sheets literally all the time, so do not worry about it. (Also I hope you have a med list somewhere easily accessible should something happen to you, like on your fridge and in your wallet.)

Trust me, it's not as if you're asking them to take something which comes out of an auto-dispenser in giant vials because they are horse pills, then repackage it to 3 tiny little bottles because "they don't fit in your medicine chest" and refuse to transfer the pills yourself if they just give you additional vials.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Domestic they don't give a gently caress in my experience. Loose pills, pills in big bottles of Tylenol, never been a problem. Can't speak for international travel though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I traveled to Australia with a bottle of Ibuprofen and nobody seemed to care.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Geniasis posted:

I traveled to Australia with a bottle of Ibuprofen and nobody seemed to care.

Yes a bottle of ibuprofen and nine different prescription drugs are definitely the same thing.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
well if you put all nine into the ibuprofen bottle you see

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I smuggled 9kg of heroin and nobody cared

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
If I give someone money for a security deposit and they either abscond with it or rent the place to someone else, I'm screwed right? Do I have any recourse besides trying to sue them in civil court?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Umm, if "they" are the landlord and you have some lease signed then uhh yeah they have to give it back - they can't just "abscond" with it. Go to small claims, it'll be cheaper.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
No signed lease. Trying to figure out how to rent a place in one state while still living in another without having my deposit stolen.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Don't put down a deposit without a signed lease.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Where I live landlords request the deposit with the application, to show that the tenant is serious. Otherwise the landlord could pull the property off the market, do the credit/background check, and then have the tenant change their mind.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Check your local tenancy laws? Where I am, giving the landlord a security deposit is the start of your tenancy. If you had proof that you'd paid it and they accepted it, you would have all the normal tenancy rights.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Konstantin posted:

Where I live landlords request the deposit with the application, to show that the tenant is serious. Otherwise the landlord could pull the property off the market, do the credit/background check, and then have the tenant change their mind.

Why do they need to pull the property off the market while they do a credit/background check?

That system you describe seems waaaay open to landlords just raking in money by taking in lots of applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Brennanite posted:

No signed lease. Trying to figure out how to rent a place in one state while still living in another without having my deposit stolen.

Is your communications with the other party in writing?