Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This looks like the place to ask, In Only War if you're going to Push your Psychic power is there any reason to not push for +3 rating? It makes the test easier and increases the power of your ability with zero downsides, well other than the Phenomena table but if you're Pushing you're already going there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

snare mine is in Hammer of the Emperor. basically it's a grenade that you don't need to throw

One of the Only War rulebooks had minefield rounds you could use with rocket launchers and mortars as well. They would travel to their destination and burst open, scattering smaller anti-personnel munitions in an area. I'm pretty sure any grenade can also be rigged up like a traditional mine using the same damage template as well.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Drone posted:

Has FFG said anything about whether or not they'll be putting out a 2nd edition of any of the 40k RPG's besides DH?

No, they haven't, but the other games don't need a 2nd Edition as badly as DH did. I wouldn't mind a 2nd Edition Rogue Trader, but BC and OW are pretty fine.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

No, they haven't, but the other games don't need a 2nd Edition as badly as DH did. I wouldn't mind a 2nd Edition Rogue Trader, but BC and OW are pretty fine.

Rogue Trader and Deathwatch both pretty direly need a second edition. DeathWatch in the style of in Black Crusade (Astartes and Inquisitorial/Support humans working together) could be pretty interesting, and I kind of want to see what you can do with an aptitude system combined with Rogue Trader's character generation and an armory/combat system that doesn't encourage "All Full-Auto Storm Bolters All the Time".

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Ooh I forgot about Deathwatch... haha, that's not a good sign :v:

Yeah DW is kinda hosed with it's wonky squad rules

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
DW is hosed from the moment you try to make a character.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

DeathSandwich posted:

Astartes and Inquisitorial/Support humans working together

The problem here being that Deathwatch as an organisation is basically Tier 1 Call of Duty Space Marine operators all day long. Little space for humans.

goatface posted:

Please expand. DW is the one I'm probably least familiar with after BC.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There are about 3 or 4 different tables containing different options for your advances all in different parts of the book, or in multiple places in the other book if you're using that. It's just really irritatingly laid out and overcomplicated.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

goatface posted:

There are about 3 or 4 different tables containing different options for your advances all in different parts of the book, or in multiple places in the other book if you're using that. It's just really irritatingly laid out and overcomplicated.

And yet it is still better laid out than Shadowrun

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I haven't played Shadowrun and I sure as poo poo won't be playing that table-n-modifier hoedown that's called Fifth edition. I have never been put off of playing a game by a prettier book before.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, and some of the tables contain the same things but at different xp costs, so you better make sure you check all of them before you spend any.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Aramoro posted:

This looks like the place to ask, In Only War if you're going to Push your Psychic power is there any reason to not push for +3 rating? It makes the test easier and increases the power of your ability with zero downsides, well other than the Phenomena table but if you're Pushing you're already going there.

Yeah, I don't think there is any reason for player psykers to not push all the way if they are pushing at all. Unbound psykers make the phenomena roll worse per level they push so they might want to think about it.

Re: a second edition of 40k RPGs. A second edition would be a total conversion to the BC/OW ruleset more than anything else so a 2nd edition of BC/OW wouldn't really make sense other than to be more nicely laid out, which would still be cool but not as needed as the other thing.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 24, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DeathSandwich posted:

One of the Only War rulebooks had minefield rounds you could use with rocket launchers and mortars as well. They would travel to their destination and burst open, scattering smaller anti-personnel munitions in an area. I'm pretty sure any grenade can also be rigged up like a traditional mine using the same damage template as well.

Yeah, but they don't adequately explain how they activate.

Anyway, I really just wanted to play nam with imperial guard, so I wrote up a space Claymore myself :3

A snare-mine, using a souped-up frag grenade that fires in a 60 degree arc once it's snared( also, jams mean it sprays backwards :getin: )

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

goatface posted:

I really need to finish my FATAL and Friends for Deathwatch but yes, essentially this.

goatface posted:

Oh, and some of the tables contain the same things but at different xp costs, so you better make sure you check all of them before you spend any.

And that's the case in point. To buy a skill/talent, you need to consider no less than three different tables to find the right cost. You need to refer to your Chapter advances, General Space Marine advances, and Class advances. In addition, the system heavily favors ranged combat over melee combat because only one class (Assault Marine) starts with a multiple melee attack skill (Swift Attack) and even then it only allows you to attack twice instead of scaling the way semi-auto attacks do (which they fixed for Black Crusade). Librarians also have a habit of invalidating boss monsters thanks to their starting Force Weapon.

It's really a shame too because Deathwatch is easily the most killy/80's action movie-esque of the core books.

Another issue I have is with Chapter Relics, specifically the rules requirements (be a member of that chapter) and the fact that they don't actually provide a robust list of relics for all of the chapters. For example the Carcharodons, despite being in Honour the Chapter and getting a ton of fluff, do not get a relic while some of their crapped-out chapters (the half-page Codex-based chapters they put after all of the cool ones) have at least one if not multiple Relics. DW actually needs a seasoned GM to make a lot of key calls on which rules to toss out (most of them) because a lot of what is cool in the system is typically locked behind garbage requirements that few, if any players will ever meet (i.e., There are Librarian Dreadnoughts! They are cool! Oh, did you roll something other than Blood Angels? Well, too bad - you can't become a Librarian Dreadnought).

That being said, Rogue Trader definitely needs a second edition before DW.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
To be honest, a lot of those are GW space marine fluff problems rather than DW the game system problems. Still, DW does need a second edition. The biggest differences are the advance structure and the combat system, and for a high level, combat-focused game those are somewhat important.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make combat in DH2 go quicker? The group I'm in just had a two session fight because of the sheer number of combatants, 6 players and 10-12 baddies and it was hard keeping everyone's head in the game when its so long between their turn.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never use that many enemies. Not as discrete entities anyway.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Reducing is a good idea, pick a lesser number of strong characters.

One thing is to simplify your more mook like enemies. My GM for a Skype game doesn't have the mooks dodge or parry, and has them die upon reading 0, while playing the bigger and badder guys as normal.

Another thing to consider is if your players are to blame. A good player pays attention, plans their attack on the other folks turns, and even figures out the TN of their attack and their turn should just come down to rolling dice.

If you have multiple players who don't even think of what they're doing until their turn that will drag your game out more than having 10 enemies.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Werix posted:

Reducing is a good idea, pick a lesser number of strong characters.

One thing is to simplify your more mook like enemies. My GM for a Skype game doesn't have the mooks dodge or parry, and has them die upon reading 0, while playing the bigger and badder guys as normal.

Another thing to consider is if your players are to blame. A good player pays attention, plans their attack on the other folks turns, and even figures out the TN of their attack and their turn should just come down to rolling dice.

If you have multiple players who don't even think of what they're doing until their turn that will drag your game out more than having 10 enemies.

These are all pro-tips.

I run a game for 6 PCs and regularly do larger size fights, but simply put, a combat shouldn't take even half a session, let alone two whole sessions.

I've had the odd problem with slow players or inattentive players, so if things started to drag, I start giving them less and less time to choose their next actions. If they can't decided what they want to do in the 30 seconds of their turn, how are their character supposed to act in the time it's supposed to represent?

Also, for fights where I want big cinematic numbers of enemies, I've borrowed the Horde mechanics from other systems. For simple enemies like cultists or unruly mobs, they've worked really well - without the need to modify anything really.

If you know you want your players to narratively gun down a dozen guys, just combine them into a single entity. Simple and awesome.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

robziel posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make combat in DH2 go quicker? The group I'm in just had a two session fight because of the sheer number of combatants, 6 players and 10-12 baddies and it was hard keeping everyone's head in the game when its so long between their turn.

Dig up formation rules from BC or OW, use those. Things will still be threatening, but it will be much much simpler to process how enemies work.

As mentioned above, horde rules work for even bigger groups as well, but that's more for mobs of tens or hundreds than for 5-20 baddies.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Thank you all, this is the first game our GM has run in a very long time so I will definitely pass your suggestions along. I especially like not letting mooks parry or dodge. I think she is running a packaged adventure out of one of the books and isn't yet comfortable changing too much but I'll see if I can't change her mind to make things flow faster.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The thing to keep in mind with 40k rp is that generally most mook enemies should be dropping in about two good shots assuming you have weapon useful against whatever it is you're fighting. Generally speaking if you drop an enemy anywhere beyond about crit 4 they are either dead or so hosed up as to no longer be an active combatant.

The tougher, well armored enemies should be more rare since they take so much more focused fire to put down. If every enemy is a brick shithouse in carapace or power armor I can see combat getting long and exceptionally bloody against your guys.

Edit: You can always see if she'll adopt the D&D 4 concept of 1hp minions that die in a stiff breeze too if you don't want to roll formations or hordes, since both can be decidedly deadly.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

One thing a few of my DMs do in various games is fast forward minor fights once PC victory is clearly inevitable. Like once there's one or two nobodies vs 6 PCs, it's "with most of the enemy dead or dying, you're easily able to flank and overwhelm the last two holdouts."

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I've noticed it's a good idea to divide the baddies to initiative groups, which makes managing them much easier - instead of 6-10 separate unique bad guys, you have "bossman" "melee mooks" "ranged mooks" "big thugs", or something like that, with the whole group working during their spot on the initiative track. In the first big battle of my campaign the PCs were up against 9 or 10 dudes (can't remember exactly), but they were divided into three groups, one group was the elite enemies, one the mooks and one was just the bad guy leader. It meant that the bad guy turns went relatively quickly.

edit: Also, rules as written, Troop-level mooks die when they hit 0 hp, don't count crits for those guys.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 2, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

DeathSandwich posted:

Generally speaking if you drop an enemy anywhere beyond about crit 4 they are either dead or so hosed up as to no longer be an active combatant.

But from hells heart I stab at thee is fun.

Please ask FireSight about how inactive enemies in crit 7 can be.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nobody wants to be crit-shot by half a gretchin.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pharmaskittle posted:

One thing a few of my DMs do in various games is fast forward minor fights once PC victory is clearly inevitable. Like once there's one or two nobodies vs 6 PCs, it's "with most of the enemy dead or dying, you're easily able to flank and overwhelm the last two holdouts."

Mine usually does the same thing. He also tends to mark down mooks by number of hits to kill vs actually tracking anything. Shoot the guy twice (or crit once) he dies, no dice gods loving with you on low damage rolls and such, and less to track for him.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Waci posted:

But from hells heart I stab at thee is fun.

Please ask FireSight about how inactive enemies in crit 7 can be.

Oh, an enemy can be dangerous when it has gone into critical levels. Like when it is a foul Xeno monster that frenzies when it reaches 0 hp, and that has True Grit and high toughness. Takes some taking down.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goatface posted:

Nobody wants to be crit-shot by half a gretchin.

Oh man, this was in legend so doesn't count, but I once had a PC disarm a kobold, impale it's leg to the ground with it's own lovely pike, have the kobold pull it out and pin the adventurers leg back to the ground. Criticals by something a quarter your size = good times!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I've noticed it's a good idea to divide the baddies to initiative groups, which makes managing them much easier - instead of 6-10 separate unique bad guys, you have "bossman" "melee mooks" "ranged mooks" "big thugs", or something like that, with the whole group working during their spot on the initiative track.

Yeah, the GM I was talking about above also groups all the mooks in the same ini order too and has them all go at once. He might actually place them all at the bottom too, though that might be more a result of our party being pretty good at those ini rolls.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
So I'm running a Deathwatch campaign where everyone is Raptor space marines during the Badab war. I thought the setting was unique and fun so I thought why not, any tips for running a Deathwatch campaign? Any mistakes I should stay clear of?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Talk with your players about whether they want non-combat things, and be prepared to pull an elephant out of your arse if anyone says yes.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Waci posted:

Talk with your players about whether they want non-combat things, and be prepared to pull an elephant out of your arse if anyone says yes.

Just to be clear, are you telling me to ambush them with combat if they don't want combat? Or by pull an elephant out, you mean write a lot of non-combat stuff?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

honestly it's pretty self-explanatory

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

If more than one of them wants significant noncombat stuff, they're playing the wrong game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

While Deathwatch don't have waifus to take care of and Marines don't do much of actual investigating, you can still have them operate operationally.

Just some black ops stories from Afghanistan and replace taliban with Tau. Or Astral Claws militia.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
:siren: I've updated the Dark Heresy 2 advancement cost spreadsheet to include Enemies Without and Enemies Beyond; if you've saved a copy previously, you'll need to make a new one. Get it here. :siren:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Every RPG should have Mook rules. Dispatching Mooks is fun, and occasionally one of them will mess someone up, and that reminds them that yes, they're Mooks, but even Mooks get lucky.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Our Rogue Trader group has a sort of mercantile theme when it comes to our assets (EG the flagship Silkworm, other ships The Unappreciated Deal and The Golden Egg) so what did we decide to call our first personal IG batallion?

Why, the Spice Marines of course :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is there any fluffy excuse for a Techpriest to specialize in combat while not being a skitarii or anything? Just, a member technoarcheological dig whose main talents involve chainswording things?

Also, is there some way to sell things in DH 2.0? Or trade things in in return for other things?