Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

So yeah, I think I just got an accessory I wasn't supposed to have yet. Magician's Bracelet +10(!) Magic.
That and I got a staff that gave +8. Guess I'll be using the Sorceror as well, a Sorceror this playthrough. If Only I could get a freaking Warhammer Drop for my Abomination though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto II, Stanza 3: Fangs for the Memories

Man. All this stuff is really startin' to run together.

No poo poo. No wonder everyone keeps looking into these crystals.

Ready to go back to the E/N forums, huh?

On second thought I'd rather go mad.

It's about the same either way.

Ooh! Someone brought a balanced party to the fight! Too bad the mage was trying to powerlevel his teammates when we caught them :getin:

Archer, Dwarf, and Man-at-Arms go down in a hurry.

The mage does not last much longer.

And we get some very useful skills for Willow! Phantom Grasp Lvl. 2 can do a fairly decent amount of damage, and it is always good when our heal spells level up.

Chief?

I just got this weird feeling of déjà vu...

:shivdurf: Flipping through the pages, the book opens to a page with a note stuck in it. The note reads, "To change shape is a difficult magic, exponentially more so when the mass of the create you're changing into is different than your own.

So the Spirit of the Book is massively powerful? Big surprise.

I'm just gonna hang on to this. Something tells me it's a secret she doesn't want to get out.

Willow? Why don't you take this one?

What, seriously?

Hey, you were the one bitching about never getting any loot.

Well, it's about time! Let me just reach into the bag here...

GAH

*snicker*

THAT WAS POISONOUS I COULD'VE BEEN KILLED

I thought you liked nature!

How'd you even know that was in there, Chief?

Hell if I know, but it sure was funny!

:shivdurf: As you walk you suddenly hear a faraway voice cry out.

:shivdurf: Followed by the faint sounds of a scuffle.

:mmmhmm:

Ssh! Ssh.

?

My door sense is tingling.

Why do they even bother hiding these things? The rings are friggin' doorknobs at this point.

Here. Don't ever say I didn't give you anything.

This staff is made out of mucus.

Think of it as salty jello!

...no. No, I don't think I will.

The Slimestaff is another one that's always in the same place each playthrough. It is probably the least damaging weapon in the game, but it's not like Willow's going to be delivering the big hits at this point. If she needs to do damage, we can fire off Phantom Grasp a few times.

Gimme gimme gimme

What is this bullshit

Here, lemme take aother look at it.

*click*

I knew I hired you for a reason!

You didn't hire me. You bought a build-your-own-monster kit off a website and put me together.

It's kind of the same thing.

Not really!

Silence, minion

Yes, master. Sorry, master.

...Vlad? Remember when we talked about following his orders?...

Well... I mean, if you want me to break you, game...

Both the Sorceror and Willow have Elvish Leather Armor now! We move the Fur Armor to Frank, because it's somehow better than the base plate mail, and also because Frank is big pimpin'. :slick:

Fighter, mage, and archer here. We're starting to see more balanced parties as we get further into the book. Nothing of real interest outside of this:

The Hedge Mages are too weak to damage our ridiculous, ridiculous armor, but their Frost spells still inflict Slow. If you remember, the Sorceror has Frost Fall, which does the same thing only with more gusto. Slow basically means your guy won't be in the first few actions every round, plus no one's going to miss them as long as they don't have extra debuffs themselves, i.e. blind.

:yikes: (Broom Closet)

I hope they have this year's model! It's supposed to have wifi.

Whole lotta loot up in this piece! We get an extra Restoration Crystal or two, another acid flask, and this:

Ow ow hot hot

Here, give me that.

How come you can handle that stuff? Don't you worship Satan or something?

I'm a wiccan, you idiot!

...so yes?

Water of Life refills everyone's HP and is possibly more valuable in boss fights than restoration crystals. If everything is going horribly wrong, one of these and two casts of Restore Defense can basically reset everything on your side. It doesn't bring people back to life, though, so don't wait too long to use it.

Looks like the guy in charge of this block is up next.

I'm kind of on board with the Goblin we talked to. "Gilex the Decimator" sounds pretty dumb.

Kind of appropos when you think about it.

Wha?

You're judging a book by its cover.

... No, I'm judging your face by your shutting it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Here. Don't ever say I didn't give you anything.

This staff is made out of mucus.

Think of it as salty jello!

...no. No, I don't think I will.

That reminds me, my priest in the Avernum LP is still wearing the "Slime-Covered Tunic" that the party found in the third town in the game. You'd think I'd've found something better for her by now!

Does this game get more varied environments at any point? I mean, this is better than Wizardry, but it'd be hard for it not to be.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me, my priest in the Avernum LP is still wearing the "Slime-Covered Tunic" that the party found in the third town in the game. You'd think I'd've found something better for her by now!

Does this game get more varied environments at any point? I mean, this is better than Wizardry, but it'd be hard for it not to be.

Somewhat. The third cell block is pretty drastically different but the second one isn't all that memorable IIRC.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I find it amusing that because of all the super-armor you've been finding your supposed tank character now has the worst defense in the party.

Also your new av is even more horrifying than the last one, Chokes. :gonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jagged Jim posted:

Also your new av is even more horrifying than the last one, Chokes. :gonk:

Such is the 2016 Republican Primary.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Silegna posted:

So yeah, I think I just got an accessory I wasn't supposed to have yet. Magician's Bracelet +10(!) Magic.
That and I got a staff that gave +8. Guess I'll be using the Sorceror as well, a Sorceror this playthrough. If Only I could get a freaking Warhammer Drop for my Abomination though.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

dots are solid, but I have some issues with straight up magic damage in this game. Too many times I've gotten zero for damage on a target. It get's annoying after awhile :downs:

Silegna posted:

So, I have a question: Why can't the Sorceror equip the Steel Claymore I picked up? Can he not equip it?

Yes, the sorcerer class cannot equip the claymore or heavier weapons in general (or Katars, or chains).

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 5, 2016

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

mauman posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

dots are solid, but straight up magic damage has some issues in this game.

So, I have a question: Why can't the Sorceror equip the Steel Claymore I picked up? Can he not equip it?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:allears:

So it begins.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Would equipping both give a set bonus? :v:

(great picture)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh hey, you're catching up to where I am.

Guess I'd better play some more of this.

... Just one more day in Stardew Valley first. I don't have to play it, I just want to. I can quit anytime I want.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Interesting that even enemies that can't hurt you can still disable you enough for their mates to get some real licks in.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Chokes McGee posted:

Also the puppet levels up.

i'm getting stronger

:gonk:

I drifted over here from the Avernum LP, and I'm not sure why, but this exchange made me laugh for a good five minutes.

Maybe it's just been that kind of day.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Silegna posted:

the sorcerer at the start can only use daggers, maces, longswords and staves.
there is a choice later on that can change that but by then you'll have better equipment.

Nope, and it's probably on purpose for the atmosphere, the possibility of being stuck in a monochrome world for eternity is enough motivation for the sorcerer to escape, and not stay in sanctuary for the rest of his life.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 6, 2016

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

RickVoid posted:

Oh hey, you're catching up to where I am.

Guess I'd better play some more of this.

... Just one more day in Stardew Valley first. I don't have to play it, I just want to. I can quit anytime I want.

It's gotten so bad for me that I've started using Stardew Valley as a reward for doing things. "Go take a shower and you can play some Stardew Valley." "Look throughTake out the rubbish and you can play some Stardew Valley." "Call your mother to let her know you're still alive and then you can play some Stardew Valley."

It's very addictive.

As for Paper Sorcerer, I had started this game and got curbstomped by the second boss and stopped playing even though I meant to go back to it. Now, knowing that items are randomised, I feel the need to pick it back up again. The prospect of getting random stuff is something I like to play in a game (even if it's not great game design because lol balance).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shiva Asori posted:

the sorcerer...

Chokes is doing this blind.

That might qualify as a spoiler, just saying.

Either way, it feels wrong to talk about it till we actually get to that point.

silversatyr posted:

Stardew Valley

What's this? Haven't heard of this one. Better check steam.

gently caress, better get my wallet :shepspends:

Thanks for the info.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 6, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mauman posted:

Chokes is doing this blind.

That might qualify as a spoiler, just saying.

Either way, it feels wrong to talk about it till we actually get to that point.

I don't think it's a spoiler per se as the post was vague enough, but before this gets out of hand:

:siren: No spoilers. Not plot points, not equipment, not anything. Not even in spoiler tags. :siren:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto II, Stanza 4: Decimation is Nine-Tenths of the Law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Ntc8IMwJ4

If you had that much trouble with him, I predict I'll be able to end you in two turns.

I'll take that bet.

Right on!

For or against?

Chief?

Gimme a sec, I'm thinking.

Not surprised. That knight was a moron.

Besides, you'd have to be completely incompetent at your job if no one even knew your name.

I mean, really useless.

Here's our first real boss fight. Our chef today will be Gilex the Decimator.

AAAAAAAAAAAA

He'll be serving up AoEs with a side of pain.

Gilex is a gigantic difficulty jump compared to what you've seen so far. He's not kidding about the Knight—that tin can was a really weak boss, and even he was enough to rearrange most people's faces if you're not expecting it. This guy? He's a million times worse. In fact, it's hard to appreciate just how bad he is because of our guys' ridiculously broken armor drops. That Wide Chop he started out with is probably a good 30-50 damage to the entire party. Remember how I said defense came down proportionally instead of one-to-one? I want you to keep in mind that, even against Fighters, we haven't seen worse than -11 Defense—and that's the max. This is the normal amount of damage Wide Chop does.

Gilex is broken. All the bosses are broken. If we hadn't accidentally broken the game right back, this would be a major hurdle. In fact, this is usually where people drop out of Paper Sorcerer, because the stupid bald cuisinart just will. Not. Die. Loot is so important in this game that it's ridiculous. You will not get God-tier drops like this on most playthroughs. Consequently, this fight will be ugly.

It's not all gloom and doom, though. You can level the playing field somewhat with ~strategy~. There's actually a lot of different ways to approach boss fights depending on your party composition, but here's how our guys usually roll.

First and foremost, debuffs.

Chill out!

Take a break!

Argh! Are all of you this obnoxious?

Witch attack should we use next?

I could go for a bite!

Argh

Debuffs are important for two reasons: One, they almost always hit, and two, they'll lower the big guys' stats enough to take their hits from monstrous to barely manageable. Since we've levelled up our skills, we do a solid -5 to Agility and Strength to start the fight, which isn't too shabby. Debuffs do eventually wear off, but we'll mix that metaphor when we come to it.

Immediately after debuffs are...

A pox upon thee

We're fighting for our lives here, and you give him chicken pox?!

It's smallpox!

That's even worse! It's smaller!

You're an idiot.

...DoTs! (Damage over Time)

DoTs are incredibly important in Paper Sorcerer's boss fights, and you'll make life noticeably easier by having someone who can cast them. Whereas status ailments are a waste of time in other RPGs, in the Librum Clastrum, you can stick a status ailment on just about anyone. This is very good, because DoTs do a certain percentage of HP damage every round. And the kicker?

grrk

It can't be resisted by Defense.

I'm sure you see the implications here, but just to spell it out: hit a DoT and you'll be draining their HP the entire fight without having to worry their armor. In fact, one very valid strategy (if you have the right party for it) is to cast 2-3 DoTs, add a few debuffs, and then play defense until the boss keels over. Like I said, there's a lot of ways to go about this fight, and the best approach will vary by party makeup.

(Side note: in this particular cell block, the game actually lobs a slow pitch over the plate by giving you the Arcanite Staff. If you have someone who can equip it, you can cast Poison as necessary. Here, though, we'd rather use Black Locust to free up the Sorceror for Frost Fall. That way, we can get our debuffs and DoTs in a single turn.)

Observant veterans among us may notice the Sorceror doesn't continue with Focus and then Scorch, another four-Energy DoT. I've noticed Scorch tends not to stick unless you actually do damage with it—and like all bosses, Gilex's Defense is insane. It'll be a bit before we can directly damage him with anything, let alone spells.

We take a quick break for Focus and Charging Strike, during which...

Mother FUCKER

Good goddesses. :stare:

Yeah. That hurt just to watch.

That's... that's a lot of damage. :stonklol: We're talking easily 70+. And that's with the ridiculous Elvish Leather armor drops.

This segues nicely into tier 3 of our strategy.

Buffs! Even at later levels, most of this party's buffs will be temporary Defense boosts. The best part about these? They won't cause your Defense to decrease after they wear off! (Unless, of course, you're over the buffed maximum.) In other words, if you increase your Defense by 10 and then take 15 Defense damage, you don't lose anything extra when the buff wears off. We're going to have that extra Defense clobbered out of us long before the skills wear off, so it's basically extra protection for two Energy. Not a bad deal!

We also have Willow top off our Defense whenever that skill is available. Be preventative about this poo poo. By the time your armor is low enough that regular attacks are doing damage, it's way too late. Most bosses are going to grind you into paste soon after.

Speaking of which, we get the final tier in our strategy:

Kicking the poo poo out of him.

Taking bosses on physically often feels like a fool's errand because of their defense; it's one of the major reasons DoT-and-sit-back is a common strategy. However, there is value in putting in the extra work. Firstly, it opens them up to spells, which allows you to damage their HP and bypass Defense problems altogether. Besides that, it puts your physical skills in play since they're often powerful enough to overcome compromised armor. A general rule of thumb is to beat on an enemy with your weapons until you start doing HP damage. After that, all options are on the table.

Against bosses, you'll want to start dropping four Energy bombs at this point.

Seen here. 70 damage in one attack. Vlad :allears:

The rest is just repeating the cycle: renew your debuffs as soon as they cool down; when Poison wears off, cast it again; use Restore Defense as often as it's available; continue whacking him until you break through and can start wrecking poo poo normally. It sounds so simple—and our guys are making it look easy—but usually, this will be a hectic scramble to keep everyone's Defense and HP up while you figure out some way to take the giant bastard down. Then he hits Wide Chop and everyone's Defense/HP is screwed and oh gods someone do something we're all going to die in this stupid book

Anyway, after 7 or 8 turns...

Hot drat! I did it!

We did it.

Right, isn't that what I said?

I really wish you'd stop doing that.

Yeah, well. I want the Necromicon and a harem of succubi, but we can't always get what we want, can we?

Yup, because that's what we need, game. More defense.

The great part is that it's only +1 :downs:

Oh hey, more skills! Regenerate's ehn right now since it's just Level 1, four Energy, and a six turn (!) cooldown. Curse of Blindness, though? That is absolutely helpful. We'll get to it in a later update, though it's pretty obvious what it does.

Since this is part of Frank's regular rotation of skills, a level-up on it is very much appreciated.

Alright, let's see what this guy kept back here.

Oh poo poo oh poo poo sneak attack he's got a second form

Everybody get behind Frank! I'll make sure our Defense is refilled!

Chill, you guys. He's a hero. He doesn't do second forms.

And they wonder why we keep kicking their rear end when they get to us...

:shivdurf: He falls over dead with a look of genuine sadness on his face.

Well poo poo. Now I just feel bad.

Really?

Nope. Loot time!

He's as much a failure in death as he was in life.

Alright, this is what we came here for. All we should need to do is cast the Chant of Unmaking, and—

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Stop doing that what is wrong with you

Okay. As I was saying, all we should need to do is cast the Chant of Unmaking.

Just point me at the chains. I'm gonna cast the hell out of that spell.

Should your eyes be rolling back in your head when you do that?

hell if I know I'm just winging it

:shivdurf: Just as the tremors are becoming more violent you feel your body getting lighter and everything begins to fade away.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

If you had not put that in a screenshot I would not have believed it was actually in the game. What the gently caress.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glidergun posted:

If you had not put that in a screenshot I would not have believed it was actually in the game. What the gently caress.

This game has a rather quirky sense of humor at times. I rather like it actually.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glidergun posted:

I figured. That's why I explicitly made sure to include it :getin:

I love this game's sense of humor. It's just so completely and unexpectedly off the wall.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Did he just sing "I'm a little teapot" at the anchors of reality?

Actually it looks like it was just the runes in alphabetical order but I hope he actually was singing it rather than reciting it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Technically, you're supposed to sing "I'm a little Shoggoth".

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I figured. That's why I explicitly made sure to include it :getin:

I love this game's sense of humor. It's just so completely and unexpectedly off the wall.

After playing this game, I honestly can't tell if what you write you made up, or is ACTUALLY IN THE GAME. Seriously, the humor of this game is...odd, but funny.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Silegna posted:

After playing this game, I honestly can't tell if what you write you made up, or is ACTUALLY IN THE GAME. Seriously, the humor of this game is...odd, but funny.

If Chokes revealed he worked on the script at the end I wouldn't blink an eye.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Silegna posted:

As always, Shivdurf and anything in italics during long conversations is in the game.

Bellmaker posted:

If Chokes revealed he worked on the script at the end I wouldn't blink an eye.

Don't be silly I was too busy writing dialog for Drakengard 3 with Dark Id

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Just found this this

Looks like a combination of wizardry and Shadowrun IN SPACE of all things

Still early access so I haven't decided if I'm going to buy it, but it definitely looks intriguing if you're into this kind of game.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mauman posted:

Just found this this

Still early access so I haven't decided if I'm going to buy it, but it definitely looks intriguing if you're into this kind of game.

This looks very much like Phantasy Star in some places and I am down as poo poo for it.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

mauman posted:

Just found this this

God-loving dammit, now I know what my review budget is going on this month, as soon as I actually have some money. To find out about this the day after my birthday, too, is just plain annoying. Oh well, wishlisted!

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
Starcrawlers is fantastic. I've been following the development ever since it hit Steam. Right now it's primarily just a sort of random dungeon generator, but once the dev builds in more plot quests and the corporate missions it should really be something impressive.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
His only regret is that he didn't get to chop enough things?

Have we ever stopped to consider that, in fact, we may be the heroes?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

That was the direction that Wizardry IV eventually took. There was no real way to unambiguously win and still be evil.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seyser Koze posted:

That was the direction that Wizardry IV eventually took. There was no real way to unambiguously win and still be evil.

Sure there is. It's just the results are "gently caress YEAH NIHILISM" and that's a little less lighthearted than this game is going for.

I'm pretty sure we're going to remain evil, we're just the way lesser of two evils. Regardless of what happens, though, I assure you our horned Sorceror will always be a dick.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Chokes McGee posted:

Regardless of what happens, though, I assure you our horned Sorceror will always be a dick.

As the dark gods intended.

Besides, it isn't like the king was elected or chosen on merit; the Sorceror is practically doing the peasants a favor, he is. Won't even have to pay taxes until someone finds a new king!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thetruegentleman posted:

As the dark gods intended.

Besides, it isn't like the king was elected or chosen on merit; the Sorceror is practically doing the peasants a favor, he is. Won't even have to pay taxes until someone finds a new king!

I'm not sure if this is our endgame or not, but if this doesn't end with us sticking a boot up that fucker's rear end for putting us in here in the first place, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Glazius posted:

We're wearing elfhide armor. It may not be as convincing as a prominent skull motif, but I'm pretty sure we're still the baddies.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
I suspect the endgame will unfortunately and predictably involve the Spirit of the Book betraying us. My guess is that she's the whole reason the book even exists in the first place.

Would be nice if I'm wrong though. But just because everyone else is a dick doesn't mean we're not still assholes too. I'm pretty sure regardless of the King's motivations, we probably deserved to be imprisoned.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Danakir posted:

I suspect the endgame will unfortunately and predictably involve the Spirit of the Book betraying us. My guess is that she's the whole reason the book even exists in the first place.

My gut is telling me they sealed her in here, the King stumbled across it, and was like HAY WE CAN USE THIS TO TRAP THREATS I'M SURE NOTHING COULD GO WRONG.

Basically what I'm saying is he deserves what's going to happen when we bust out of here :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey, all! Just popping in to let everyone know the thread's not dead. I'm currently in Chicago for work and dealing with their restaurants' proclivities towards lovely, lovely food puns.

Update should be coming over the weekend!

• Locked thread