Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tempus Thales posted:

For The Division having a reported "6.8 Million" players online I really didnt feel any lag in the game. I'm wondering how it will be at launch.

Same, but anyone expecting a video game launch day to go well is generally not going to have a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Destiny had a big launch and I remember zero reports anywhere about server issues. And I looked.

The Division uses dedicated servers, though, not just login/account stuff.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

DR is damage resistance. A bunch of medic skills apparently have that built into them, so a team could, in theory, stack medic skills and enjoy facetanking everything. Maybe.
Until they tweak the percentages?

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
This isn't 1999. The beta was pretty flawless both closed and open weekend. I don't know how many people they had and how big of a server farm they were running, so who knows. But I doubt the game will be unplayable. Will there be lag spikes and maybe a slow connection at t-minus zero? Sure.

Still won't stop me from trying to play the game at midnight on release night.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Billy Elliot posted:

This isn't 1999. The beta was pretty flawless both closed and open weekend. I don't know how many people they had and how big of a server farm they were running, so who knows. But I doubt the game will be unplayable. Will there be lag spikes and maybe a slow connection at t-minus zero? Sure.

Still won't stop me from trying to play the game at midnight on release night.

6.4M total participated in open, I think? Or 6.8, something like that. Had zero lag on my end, so it was pretty drat respectable for an OBT stress test.

I think the reason people are making fun of the midnight thing is that it releases at like 1800 GMT. No midnight release.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Naturally Selected posted:

6.4M total participated in open, I think? Or 6.8, something like that. Had zero lag on my end, so it was pretty drat respectable for an OBT stress test.

I think the reason people are making fun of the midnight thing is that it releases at like 1800 GMT. No midnight release.

That may be the total but there's no way that is concurrent. I'd bet at it's highest during beta no more than 30-40k were on a single platform at a time. Which is still awesome. I hope launch goes well

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Naturally Selected posted:

We'll it's midnight somewhere. Is it 1800 though? I know stress tests were 7am my time, so 1pm my time is good. I've got a blood donation scheduled at work for 2:15, so I'll be home right after that. I doubt anything will be super bad mid day on a work day.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Pretty sure they are doing rolling launches like I think Destiny did. EB games in Australia is doing a midnight launch on some areas and praise the dark lord there will be AU servers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Don't get baited into losing your whole group DZXP kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PLDoGBr4Y

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Raged posted:

Pretty sure they are doing rolling launches like I think Destiny did. EB games in Australia is doing a midnight launch on some areas and praise the dark lord there will be AU servers.

In that twitch stream the devs did during the closed beta they said that there was Australian servers. I ran into a 50/50 mix of other aussies and SEA players.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

comatose posted:

In that twitch stream the devs did during the closed beta they said that there was Australian servers. I ran into a 50/50 mix of other aussies and SEA players.

Glad to hear there are aussie servers. I just hope it doesn't constrict you to aussie servers only, like Halo Master Chief and Battlefront did, ensuring there was never anyone online, ever.

In the beta the first night i seemed to be in a server full of Canadians and Americans. The next night I seemed be to around Aussies.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The podcast I listened to from the devs talked about shifting players onto servers based on population, at one point during the beta they shut down east coast us servers and saw everyone migrate to the west coast seamlessly or something like that

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SneakyFrog posted:

so do i lose my master race awesomecard if i played the beta on pc with a controller?

I mean yeah cool mouse yay, but the interface seemed kinda garbage on m&k

Oh no.
That is so Boooo-ring!
You played on pc with a controller. :siren:
You are the knight of the comfy couch.
You are killing pc gaming.
And maybe a rare species of lizards is going extinct right now because of you.
:argh:

(Just kidding)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

limaCAT posted:

Oh no.
That is so Boooo-ring!
You played on pc with a controller. :siren:
You are the knight of the comfy couch.
You are killing pc gaming.
And maybe a rare species of lizards is going extinct right now because of you.
:argh:

(Just kidding)

I bought the game on PS4 because I had Amazon credit and there were more Aus/NZ players on there.

I'm killing PC gaming via laziness.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Glad to hear there are aussie servers. I just hope it doesn't constrict you to aussie servers only, like Halo Master Chief and Battlefront did, ensuring there was never anyone online, ever.

In the beta the first night i seemed to be in a server full of Canadians and Americans. The next night I seemed be to around Aussies.

I'm also curious to know more about how the game decides where to put you. I'm not sure, maybe I was imagining it, but I noticed a lot of "brazilian" sounding nicknames while I was at the camp where you can see other players. I live in Germany but I'm originally from Brazil, where I am still registered as being in uplay, so I think that maybe the game is in some way, using the "registered" location it saves when you first create the account.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I bought the game on PS4 because I had Amazon credit and there were more Aus/NZ players on there.

I'm killing PC gaming via laziness.

I bought the game on PS4 because my pc is a piece of poo poo.
I'm killing PC gaming via poverty.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In beta I was once mission-matched with a pair of authentic Japanese with open mics. It was glorious.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Pigbottom posted:

I'm also curious to know more about how the game decides where to put you. I'm not sure, maybe I was imagining it, but I noticed a lot of "brazilian" sounding nicknames while I was at the camp where you can see other players. I live in Germany but I'm originally from Brazil, where I am still registered as being in uplay, so I think that maybe the game is in some way, using the "registered" location it saves when you first create the account.

I actually suspect this is more of a uplay thing than game specific. Apparently uplay locks your country on the day you register your account, without any option to change it. So maybe that is why.

Also: I need more annoying hipster lines to annoy people with. What is a typical NYC hipster thing to say/do?
So far:
- My free trade latte is freezing over
- Do you know where I can charge my Macbook? Starbucks is closed due to the quarantine...
- Have you seen my manpurse? It was dark grey/brown and made from sustainably sourced hemp fiber and willingly given alpaca wool from very generous animals.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TG-Chrono posted:

The podcast I listened to from the devs talked about shifting players onto servers based on population, at one point during the beta they shut down east coast us servers and saw everyone migrate to the west coast seamlessly or something like that

Dont try this in a boat.

Also, does this mean we will not see these [Shutdown in 5 minutes for patch. Please close your game. Expected downtime: 999999 minutes] messages? Because I doubt it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tei posted:

Dont try this in a boat.

Also, does this mean we will not see these [Shutdown in 5 minutes for patch. Please close your game. Expected downtime: 999999 minutes] messages? Because I doubt it.

You'll still see it, having different servers on different versions would be a loving nightmare.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

dogstile posted:

You'll still see it, having different servers on different versions would be a loving nightmare.

Yea, a feature like that would have limited use. But is always welcomed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hopper posted:

Also: I need more annoying hipster lines to annoy people with. What is a typical NYC hipster thing to say/do?
So far:
- My free trade latte is freezing over
- Do you know where I can charge my Macbook? Starbucks is closed due to the quarantine...
- Have you seen my manpurse? It was dark grey/brown and made from sustainably sourced hemp fiber and willingly given alpaca wool from very generous animals.
needing certified organic beard grooming supplies refill.
needing an local artisan-made sharpening kit for his local artisan made shank

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'll probably run around asking other players if they have seen my wife, getting angrier and more unstable in the process before accusing them of loving her and hunting them down, screaming obscenities. Think Charlie from Sunny in Philadelphia on Santa's lap from the Christmas special.

Wait, what are the chances of getting banned for screaming obscenities at other players while hunting them down?

Maybe I'll try to spread the word of our Lord and Savior instead. With bullets.

Or I'll let people know that Donald Trump is responsible for the outbreak.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Hopper posted:

I actually suspect this is more of a uplay thing than game specific. Apparently uplay locks your country on the day you register your account, without any option to change it. So maybe that is why.

You gotta love their logic. In the YooL 2016 a person can't possibly get on a plane and move to another country...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yup, they did also restrict Agent Origin items to NA because they (alledgedly) put them up as a preorder bonus in some countries in Europe. In a time when people order from the cheapest online reseller of digital games, no matter what country this shop happens to be in.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

TG-Chrono posted:

I think it was this episode which had some interesting stuff about their server tests and such:

https://soundcloud.com/thedivisiongame/the-division-podcast-episode-8-alpha-takeaways

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hopper posted:

Yup, they did also restrict Agent Origin items to NA because they (alledgedly) put them up as a preorder bonus in some countries in Europe. In a time when people order from the cheapest online reseller of digital games, no matter what country this shop happens to be in.

I had to install and play siege to unlock the siege jacket, and the origins stuff will probably be added as free DLC down the line.

I tried to get the 20% of code, now I'm 200 uclub points down and I still don't have a code. Anyone gotten it to work?

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 2, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Billy Elliot posted:

Unless you want to play the game at midnight release.
I get that, but there are too many unknowns and no other really good incentive. If you gotta have it you gotta have it, but there is so much they could gently caress up that we couldn't tell from the beta. I would recommend most people wait and see, anyway.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

I had to install and play siege to unlock the siege jacket, and the origins stuff will probably be added as free DLC down the line.

I tried to get the 20% of code, now I'm 200 uclub points down and I still don't have a code. Anyone gotten it to work?

Randler did this and had to write to support for them to make the voucher appear it. The uplay software is bugged.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

CrashCat posted:

I get that, but there are too many unknowns and no other really good incentive. If you gotta have it you gotta have it, but there is so much they could gently caress up that we couldn't tell from the beta. I would recommend most people wait and see, anyway.

<More Money than Sense>

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly you can skip 3 and go right to Black Flag. Or Rogue, Rogue is good too.

Syndicate is really good but it doesn't have any ship combat if that's your jam.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I can't recommend AC3 because it's the same old bullshit. But the pirate themed one was just flat out amazing. Blowing the gently caress out of merchants while your pirate crew sings sea shanties never gets old. The whole assassin minigame they tacked onto this great pirate simulator is merely ok, but worth suffering through so you can pirate all of the things.

After reinstalling and playing AC3 yesterday I remember now why I stopped with less than 30% progress.

I might buy up Black Flag since that's the last one I was even remotely interested in and it's coming on recommendation from you guys now. I trust goons. I am a horrible person.

On the issue of the code for extra clothing on launch, can I input that into Uplay now (like I did last night, with no discernible effect on the Uplay client) or do I need to wait until the 8th/launch?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
How many uplay points was the Broker outfit in the store? I can't see a price on it and after being denied my NYPD outfit I need something else that's snazzy

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Mash posted:

How many uplay points was the Broker outfit in the store? I can't see a price on it and after being denied my NYPD outfit I need something else that's snazzy

Is the store a website only thing (or in-game only) or can I access it via the Uplay client? I can't seem to find it on the client itself, which is strangely devoid of a lot of things I'd expect that launcher service to have.

GiantHurtBall
Dec 9, 2013

The Iron Hands weren't loyalists. The Ultramarines, noted for their tricks and deceptions, planted an agent within their ranks claiming to be their long lost Primarch, Ferrus Manus. Thus, the Iron Hands readily turned to Chaos and joined Horus' ranks, all to cover for the Ultramarines' own heresies.

LCL-Dead posted:

Is the store a website only thing (or in-game only) or can I access it via the Uplay client? I can't seem to find it on the client itself, which is strangely devoid of a lot of things I'd expect that launcher service to have.

Just go to the ubi.club website , those goons below me are totally right and I'm a big dumb goon.
:psyduck:

GiantHurtBall fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 2, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I did it by going to the uplay club website and logging in. There you can already see the rewards and claim them. Broker outfit was 40 uplay points IIRC.

Link: https://club.ubi.com

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 2, 2016

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You can get Uplay stuff now on the website.

Broker outfit is 40 uBucks.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

TG-Chrono posted:

This must have happened to me several times either forced or automatic do to amount of players. There were several times during the beta where I would have just murdered a bunch of DZ hobos and right as I am walking out of the building they all instantly respawn behind me and 4-5 other nerds are shooting them. Then there were other times where I went to a location where I knew there were black gang members guarding a DZ key chest. Don't see anyone, walk to chest and loot it only to turn around with 9 hoodied gang bangers standing around. I tried the surrender emote, didn't work, they were out for blood. :(

Edit: There is also something really annoying about playing on East Coast US server (supposedly) since I live on the east coast and the entire DZ is comprised of Russian players that can barely say gently caress you without it sounding like they are talking poo poo to themselves. Same with south american players, I have nothing against Brazil, I just don't want to play with people that I can't understand over voice chat. Although right before going rogue on some brazilians I did the Fast 5? speech Dom gave to the rock, "THIS IS BRAAAASIIILLL"

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 2, 2016

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Unlocking fancy dresses with points for a game that's not even out for another 6 days.

Hey, remember the outcry when you could buy a shiny horse armor for Oblivion a couple of years back? :allears:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Every Ubisoft game I've played gave exactly as many units (ubisoft bucks) as gameplay rewards as it took to unlock all reward items, so this is not really comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If I learned one thing about cosmetics from The Secret World it's that hundreds of people will pay $2 for a loving in-game horse head mask. And I am one of them.

God I hope this game supports ruining others' immersion.

• Locked thread