Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkcnVpk85o

The Division is an open world RPG set in post-collapse Manhattan where a weaponised virus stuck to money killed nearly everybody. The combat system is very similar to Mass Effect 3; it's a cover based shooter with RPG elements.

The PvE side of the game revolves around taking back New York, discovering the cause of the plague and helping the Joint Task Force (Emergency services and Army remnant) restore order. You'll establish a base of operations and slowly upgrade it by completing missions. Upgrading the BOO will unlock new skills, perks and abilities.

The PvP area is called the Dark Zone. There's plenty of high tier loot available in this area, with an extraction mechanic where you have to take your loot to a certain place and hold out. This allows plenty of opportunities to grief your fellow players and steal their loot before they can extract it. A lot of people are buying the game based on their Dark Zone experiences in Beta!

Release date is 8th March 2016.

Steam Store
Green Man Gaming

ORGANISATION
Steam Group
SA Discord
Google Form & Spreadsheet (Old Spreadsheet)
Camping The Stairs Mumble

All American Hero Equipment:

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-us/agent-origins/

Instructions:

Redeem this code, "AGENTORIGINS", above to unlock your 4 Free Division Agent Gear Sets inspired by the video series! Each gear set will give your in-game Division Agent a unique look and includes skills that will help you take back New York!

:siren: :siren: :siren: Exceptions: :siren: :siren: :siren:

America and Canada only. If you are unlucky and live off in NZ, OZ, UK, EU or any other corner of the earth, you will need to:

1. VPN to the USA. Many people recommend https://openvpn.net/
2. Make a throw away uPlay account using the VPN. It sets the account location during registration.
3. Go back to the link above, enter AGENTORIGINS and it will give you a standard ABCD-1234-EFGH-5678 type code.
4. Open your uPlay desktop application and activate the code (It's the little gamepad button in the top right next to your friends list button)
5. Be an all American hero!

Thanks to Ajax for the info.

Old thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
One thing I found interesting from this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/47ffmt/a_list_of_clarifications_from_beta_to_full_game/

was this:

quote:

Console versions of the game will be able to adjust graphic settings to increase frame rate. You'll be able to choose Performance, or Visual Fidelity

Has there ever been a console game that has done this before?

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Bardeh posted:

One thing I found interesting from this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/47ffmt/a_list_of_clarifications_from_beta_to_full_game/

was this:

I can't think of any off the top of my head. I wonder how bad the performance gets when you choose visual fidelity.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ugh, this is why I hate hype. This game is all I can think about to the point that I can barely even touch my backlog.

Shooting and looting in a large urban environment is my dream game. Why can't it be March 8th already :qq:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Any eurogoons into this? Just ordered. feel free to pm/whatever.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Bardeh posted:

Battle Arena Toshinden

edit: Thread content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHXNg8-qDE

Blister fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 26, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beta was pretty fun. Looking forward to this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Reminder that if you want this and your PC is in need of an upgrade, all of the gtx 9xx series of cards are currently coming with this game.

It's what i'm doing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like this game was meh in the open beta, but for some reason I kind of want to get the full game.

Maybe I'm just a big fat idiot.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

Reminder that if you want this and your PC is in need of an upgrade, all of the gtx 9xx series of cards are currently coming with this game.

It's what i'm doing.

Only 970's and up according to here, unfortunately: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/tom-clancys-the-division-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ehud posted:

I feel like this game was meh in the open beta, but for some reason I kind of want to get the full game.

Maybe I'm just a big fat idiot.

:yeah:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Bardeh posted:

Dust 514 (lol) did this, i think almost to the extent of a PC game, but I don't recall to what degree it helped with performance. I really wonder how far they'll let console users push the settings down, it'd be neat (and hilarious for the doofy ~hardcore pro~ scene) if it could push 50-60 frames at lowest settings, though I highly doubt it. Regardless, Digital Foundry's gonna have a field day.

I kinda hope more devs do this as this gen rolls on. I'm a PC person so I don't care much, but it'd be cool for console folks to be able to adjust for personal preference like anyone with a midrange PC's been able to do for decades, even if :pcgaming: shitwads will still find a way to be insufferably elitist about it.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Goon Squad Division Bird Hunting Society members, get your hunting outfits ready.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I think I've settled on M249 w/ ACOG and a suppressed Vector with CCO as my loadout. Looking forward to pinning down lots of minorities with suppressing fire and watching my teammates shoot them to death while they are helpless.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Bardeh posted:

Two Worlds actually let you access the developer console

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I think I've settled on M249 w/ ACOG and a suppressed Vector with CCO as my loadout. Looking forward to pinning down lots of minorities with suppressing fire and watching my teammates shoot them to death while they are helpless.

Didn't SMG's have some sort of crazy drop off at range making them only worth while at basically point blank?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dead Like Rev posted:

Didn't SMG's have some sort of crazy drop off at range making them only worth while at basically point blank?
Yeah but less recoil and more crits mean the tradeoff can be worth it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

One thing I was never able to try in the beta was any of the long range / sniper rifles. What did you guys think of that part of the game?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

irrelevant posted:

By now, there is little doubt that the Endless Eight arc in the anime The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is one of the more controversial, if not outright hated decisions. Thus, when I first watched Haruhi a year ago, I watched the episodes that constituted the first season, then watched two of the episodes in Endless Eight, and quietly jumped to the film making episode. This pattern was simply for efficiency, as I was dying to watch the movie at the time. However, a year later, I came across my Haruhi collection and decided to watch Endless Eight in its entirety, where Haruhi’s regrets concerning summer end up causing an infinite loop. However, like all good algorithms, there is a method to force a program to terminate prematurely: in this case, Kyon must find a mechanism to ensure that Haruhi’s regrets are dispelled.

We play has a normal person in a normal environment (a city) under a emergency that while rare, is not unusual (a pandemia).
We shot normal people with normal guns. Mostly hooded thugs that look somewhat like Eminem.

The enemy is violent people from oposing factions. Criminals, other type of criminal, misguided forces and some force that has give himself autority to everyone else.

Our task is to complete the task people exactly like us tried to complete before us.

We don't know how many times this has happened. We call these "the division" agents that where before us "the first wave", but we don't really know if they where really first, or the 8th wave. For all we know we are on a infinite loop cycle.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ehud posted:

One thing I was never able to try in the beta was any of the long range / sniper rifles. What did you guys think of that part of the game?
The maps seemed to be designed with anti-camping in mind for the PvP, but they can be handy in PvE where I would sometimes hang back and plink away at particularly dangerous enemies while someone else distracted them. Since you can have two primary weapons ready it's definitely viable to make them better for different ranges. I put a shotgun in the other slot since even as much as people bitched about them I found them best for dealing with the baseball bat assholes, and once in a while scoring a free hit on a Rogue.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Guess we aren't splitting the thread between PC and Consoles?

Hope the console users enjoy the master race complaining about the various bugs that will inevitably crop up, or how we'll let you know how lovely the inventory screen is because it was designed for controllers rather than glorious mouse and keyboard.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

how we'll let you know how lovely the inventory screen is because it was designed for controllers rather than glorious mouse and keyboard.

Agreed the inventory screen is clunky and bad.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Thor-Stryker posted:

Guess we aren't splitting the thread between PC and Consoles?

Hope the console users enjoy the master race complaining about the various bugs that will inevitably crop up, or how we'll let you know how lovely the inventory screen is because it was designed for controllers rather than glorious mouse and keyboard.

I can't wait to read 17 pages of video card and wall hacks discussion. Maybe we can get into mouse drivers and stuff in here too. :banjo:

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

he1ixx posted:

I can't wait to read 17 pages of video card and wall hacks discussion. Maybe we can get into mouse drivers and stuff in here too. :banjo:

GUYS WHAT INI DO I EDIT TO OPTIMIZE!? I KNOW THERE WAS A PAGE FULL OF INI EDITING DISCUSSION!? WHAT INI DO I EDIT!?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I'll bet you a scarf that what you actually use is the gun with the fanciest rarity color and highest numbers on it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just realized it's launch day is a Tuesday. gently caress.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blacktoll posted:

I just realized it's launch day is a Tuesday. gently caress.

Pretty much any game ever launches on a Tuesday.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

he1ixx posted:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Akion posted:

Pretty much any game ever launches on a Tuesday.

I didn't know that this was a thing and I dislike it.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dead Like Rev posted:

idk, I used a Vector as my secondary to an M1A during the beta and never had any trouble killing anything.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Badfinger posted:

I'll bet you a scarf that what you actually use is the gun with the fanciest rarity color and highest numbers on it.

you owe me a scarf then because as long as I'm able to kill things when I need to idc about either of those things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dead Like Rev posted:

15 to around 30-40ish feet SMG's are great.

Past that yeah you're gonna need an Assault/marksman rifle.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dead Like Rev posted:

SMG's at their optimal range are way easier to control and do more DPS than an assault rifle.

Incoming goony neckbeard post:

I really hate the metrics they use for DPS in the game, they literally just mish-mash all the guns stats together. https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/47b8a2/dps_an_indepth_guide_wip/

How DPS is calculated on a weapon is it's considering that every bullet hits, every bullet is hitting the target's head, and the reload times and all that are factored in. Which in reality will never happen unless you are hacking. Then for some hip fire and weapon accuracy is thrown in to the calculations and included to increase dps. Which makes the DPS number on the weapon completely irrelevant to it's quality because it's such a misinformed attribute. Worst off the quality of the weapon on the item selection is informed positive or negatively by it's DPS.

This showed up to me in gameplay where I got a blue RPK that the game said was worse than my starter M4. Even though it had a great talent, and did 100 more damage. It's true with hip fire, accuracy, and reload speed put into the mix, I'm sure over shooting a boss in the head for 10 minutes with 100% accuracy it would ultimately have less dps than the M4. But the RPK was the better gun in reality because it killed enemies way quicker, and killing enemies would speed up my skill cooldowns. DPS on the guns is basically a noob trap at this point.

I really think DPS should be calculated on a weapon by every bullet hitting the target's chest or something, the damage, the reload time, magazine capacity, and RPM. That's it. Everything else is a random variable.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 26, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also for people concerned about older computers...the beta's all ran perfectly on my GTX 460 on medium and heck even high oddly (texture loading even improved with the open beta). :iiam:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I have a better card, but it was really, really smooth.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Played the beta a bit, it was fun. Getting this game for free with my new video card, cool. See you goons on release day.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I really think DPS should be calculated on a weapon by every bullet hitting the target's chest or something, the reload time, magazine capacity, and RPM. That's it. Everything else is a random variable.

I agree with you in dropping the extra modifiers they included, kinda silly that they even tried to calculate player-skill and convert it into a statistic. Now, the higher the players skill, the less important the DPS number is.

They really should just breakdown weapon dps into several categories. Players who want to min-Max need to know Burst DPS, Sustained DPS, and the damage fall-off ranges.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
New high level video with one of the dev's playing as a lvl 27

http://www.vg247.com/2016/02/25/the-division-level-27-character-look/

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean, you could always do the DPS calculation yourself based on the damage done per shot, number of rounds in magazine, and the RPM of the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That DPS formula doesn't look correct anyway, because assuming it works similar to Diablo +Crit Damage isn't added to your regular damage, it's added to your crits which do a multiplier. A crit with 0 +Crit Dmg isn't 100% damage +0, it's (crit multiplier, assuming it's 200% damage here) +0. Otherwise there's no benefit to having +crit on an item without also have +crit dmg. His example of a 500 dmg per round gun critting with 50% crit damage doing 750 is really wacky. It's possible he accounted for that in the formula but not the explanation, but it's still weird.

• Locked thread