Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
How does your balance look? Dyson spheres and ringworlds are great and all, but in most MoO2 inspired 4x games the winner is determined by the mid point and you either mob up and get your victory screen, rendering those techs pointless, or you coast along and play SimGalaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Couldn't care less about the combat honestly, the changes I want from MoO2 are better balance and cut down the micromanagement, which gets massive by the mid to late game in the original game.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Atarask posted:

Well one announcement is that we're switching to a real-time combat system, a bit reminiscent of Sword of the Stars 1.

Well, there goes my enthusiasm for the game. :(

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Demiurge4 posted:

How does your balance look? Dyson spheres and ringworlds are great and all, but in most MoO2 inspired 4x games the winner is determined by the mid point and you either mob up and get your victory screen, rendering those techs pointless, or you coast along and play SimGalaxy.

Well our big changes to the end game compared to other 4x games is adding two elder species that have an active role, plus grand menaces. Those will avoid the hitting the mid game and calling it done since reaching parity with the elder races is incredibly difficult.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not familiar with the types of RTS combat you're talking about, but I'm willing to see how your implementation goes.

I mean, this is a far cry from the fannish moral support that you'd probably thrive better on, but I figured you could do with a little something to balance out the "gently caress this!" you're always gonna get when remaking or re-imagining a franchise.

Make the game, make it fun, make it how you like!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I really prefer Endless Space's flavor of RTS for combat, but you have to really design for it since there's a bunch of R/P/S and tech stuff to worry about also.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
We're avoiding the Endless Space and GalCiv "watch" type of combat. It'll be directed by the player like a Total War game. The goal is to have something, fun, engaging, and where tactics do matter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Wait, you're going to real-time combat?

Please don't. Real-time combat in a 4X inevitably invites comparisons to pure RTSes, which is one of the absolute worst/hardest genres to get good gamefeel in, even if you don't fall into the trap of aiming for realism or scope instead of responsiveness.

e: I mean if you're announcing it I guess it's probably too late to change, but yeah, I'm with Sunflower on this one. :(

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 18, 2016

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Atarask posted:

Well our big changes to the end game compared to other 4x games is adding two elder species that have an active role, plus grand menaces. Those will avoid the hitting the mid game and calling it done since reaching parity with the elder races is incredibly difficult.

Distant Worlds did the "two elder races end game" schtick but it doesn't work very well. Either you don't prepare properly and get easily smacked around (probable for new players), or do you and then it's just more of an annoyance. Even ignoring that it gets very samey facing down that sort of "Mongol Invasion" unless you add good randomisation factors to these two species (their traits, where they pop up, what tech they favor, what their diplomatic AI is like/their goals etc etc).

As for tactical real time combat, player controlled combat... that's another thing that doesn't scale well into late-game. Either you got lots of fleet and have to fight half a dozen battles each "turn" (Total War) or it just favors massive doomstacks and drag-click sort of resolutions (because it's not gonna be worth the effort to "tactically" command that mess).

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Pimpmust posted:

Distant Worlds did the "two elder races end game" schtick but it doesn't work very well. Either you don't prepare properly and get easily smacked around (probable for new players), or do you and then it's just more of an annoyance. Even ignoring that it gets very samey facing down that sort of "Mongol Invasion" unless you add good randomisation factors to these two species (their traits, where they pop up, what tech they favor, what their diplomatic AI is like/their goals etc etc).

As for tactical real time combat, player controlled combat... that's another thing that doesn't scale well into late-game. Either you got lots of fleet and have to fight half a dozen battles each "turn" (Total War) or it just favors massive doomstacks and drag-click sort of resolutions (because it's not gonna be worth the effort to "tactically" command that mess).

The elder species are active participants in the game diplomatically from the start locked in a cold war. So it's not a case of "the ancient evil returns." What will tend to happen though are proxy wars or potentially World War 1 level binding treaties. That being said, one grand menace at least is a vanguard for a mongol type invasion.

We're going to be taking a lot of time to balance large ships, the Titans and Behemoths, to try to balance out task forces. If a Titan is 10km and a Battleship is 1km, then it needs to feel like it's 10x more costly and powerful. So it won't be doom stacks of them.

Edit- Speaking of Titans:

Here's one and an artificial planet.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 18, 2016

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I want more SoTS style combat so I'm all in unless it turns out to be terrible.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

More like "Master of Orion 2.5. Not really!" Heh am I right guys?

Nah but seriously I like the real time aspect if you make ships feel different from each other as they move and attack. Like a fast corvette fleet with front mounted weaponry should play (and move) very differently than a fleet of big ol broadside cannons, on both offense and defense.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

OxMan posted:

More like "Master of Orion 2.5. Not really!" Heh am I right guys?

Nah but seriously I like the real time aspect if you make ships feel different from each other as they move and attack. Like a fast corvette fleet with front mounted weaponry should play (and move) very differently than a fleet of big ol broadside cannons, on both offense and defense.

Well the game has changed a bit since making the original post. Originally we were going for a more 1:1 with updated graphics but from playing, testing, and seeing what did and didn't work and wanting to expand the endgame it's turning into its own critter.

As for corvettes and such, we're keeping the more MOO2 styled ship designer so you can build frigates and destroyers that are fast moving with forward weapons or larger ships with Fx/Bx mounts for broadsides. Destroyers should really feel like DS9's Defiant. The mechanics we've talked about like flanking and subsystem targeting will all be there, so smaller ships should be pretty useful in the late game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I kinda liked the combat in (non-4x) Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. It was such that if your flotilla was pretty powerful you could mostly leave them to their own devices, micro-manage them for more even or harder battles, and were almost certainly doomed to failure if you didn't retreat from the tougher ones. It was simple and not too fiddly.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Space Game Junkie gave us a little bit of coverage:
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2016/01/stellar-indie-venture-lord-of-rigel/

Plus something to show off, a fleet scale of the various economy ships (freighters, colony ships, etc.) in the game:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Atarask posted:

Space Game Junkie gave us a little bit of coverage:
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2016/01/stellar-indie-venture-lord-of-rigel/

Plus something to show off, a fleet scale of the various economy ships (freighters, colony ships, etc.) in the game:

The lack of scale was definitely disappointing in MoO2. Frigates and other small ships were noticeably smaller than the other ships but I found it frustrating to distinguish between battleships and dreadnoughts. The Doomstars were also the same size as a dread even though they would obviously be more massive but I guess that was a limitation of the grids they used.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Speaking of ship scales, here's a Behemoth class ship. We figured ditching deathstar-likes for a giant planet killing gun would work better gameplay wise:

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
So the new Master of Orion is out in early access, and mostly people are just complaining about them not having turn-based combat. Time to reverse the boat and corner the market, right?

Digital Flower fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 29, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
The weird thing being that the combat is probably the best part of the game. It feels just right, with missiles flying, torpedo's popping bigger ships and point defense going everywhere. It's really dense and you can actually get a lot of mileage out of frigates if you just swarm them against smaller fleets with bigger ships, it's great and it looks fantastic too.

The strategic game is meh.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Singing Sunflower posted:

So the new Master of Orion is out in early access, and mostly people are just complaining about them not having turn-based combat. Time to reserve the boat and corner the market, right?

That ship probably sailed a long time ago.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Singing Sunflower posted:

So the new Master of Orion is out in early access, and mostly people are just complaining about them not having turn-based combat. Time to reverse the boat and corner the market, right?

God no. These projects fail because nostolgic dorks think good design is just making a laundry list of "features".

Make the combat engine that works best for your game, not some rose tinted memory.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Honestly MoO coming into early loving access just screams "Stellaris is coming out in two months gently caress gently caress gently caress panic".

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Angry Lobster posted:

That ship probably sailed a long time ago.

Honestly going real time is probably the way to do if you really want to keep moo2's conceits about combat while also having something playable for battles with a ton of ships involved.

If you were okay with thousands of ships just being a stack, you could just do it like moo1(though you'd have to do something to make small ships appealing past the beginning).

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
We're sticking with real time for some of the reasons posted here, it'll actually help with some of the MOO2 aspects of combat (shield facings and positioning, plus diversity from weapon types and mods). Mechanics such as flanking and subsystem targeting will all be there.

Overall feel wise it should be a bit of a mix of how MOO2 and Sword of the Stars 1 combat plays. So slower paced than Stardrive or nuMOO and factors such as positioning should play a bigger role.

We are also working in a pause and queue setup like KotoR and Dragon Age. So that should help with setting up orders, positioning, etc.

Anyway despite being pretty quiet recently do we have a big announcement next week :)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atarask posted:

We are also working in a pause and queue setup like KotoR and Dragon Age. So that should help with setting up orders, positioning, etc.

Pausable real time combat à la Homeworld would be spiffy.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Demiurge4 posted:

Honestly MoO coming into early loving access just screams "Stellaris is coming out in two months gently caress gently caress gently caress panic".
Some loving how I have never heard of Stellaris before, and... dayumn. If their gameplay will live up to the production values in that reveal teaser, it'll sure be something. That video and the music in it were absolutely gorgeous.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

McGavin posted:

Pausable real time combat à la Homeworld would be spiffy.

That's the hope.

To give a sense of how the adjusted tactical system is shaping up, here's an image though:

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
But are there assault shuttles, or at least ship boarding allowed? Because those were my favorite gimmick to run with.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Claverjoe posted:

But are there assault shuttles, or at least ship boarding allowed? Because those were my favorite gimmick to run with.

Ship boarding is planned. It'll be a bit like the MOO2 system where you can raid to damage ships by troops placing bombs inside the enemy ship, or can capture. It occurs during main combat so you can abort actions. In terms of how it plays out think the boarding actions in Homeworld 2.

Ships with transporters can also send marines at a distance provided that the shield facing near you is down.

Anyway things like shield facings, boarding, elder species, and grand menaces (let alone no starlanes) should make us stand out even with nuMOO :)

Atarask fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 8, 2016

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6L4QtrA-QA

Today's a pretty big day for us. We're proud to announce a publisher deal with Iceberg interactive. Lord of Rigel is aiming for an end of 2016 release.

The above trailer is all in-game assets and done in Unity.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Nice :3:

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Strong B5 vibes from your vorlon lady. This is not a bad thing.

Congratulations on the publishing deal. :3:

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
We spent quite a few hours trying to get a slightly Kosh vibe out of the VA takes so that's great. Especially after the ribbing we got for the KS video voiceover :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I just discovered that a small team is making basically moo1.5 and it looks really good http://www.pretendstudios.com/home.html
I found it by searching for some classic moo race art. Today I was searching for that stupid goofy meklar spy who is just a post and some how good image search led me to this thread and I'm learning goons are making Moo2.5. Doesn't seem as 1:1 faithful (REAL TIME COMBAT?!?!?!) but looking interesting!

Also I like how the race write ups all list how they were inspired by X or Y star trek race rather than clearly the moo2 race they were based on. If there's some copywrite issue with admitting they are just re-names of a moo2 race why then consistently say "this race is based on X star trek race!". I don't get it. Just say "these are our version of the silicoids"

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 4, 2016

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Baronjutter I would have responded sooner but didn't see the post until now! Well we do have a pretty close to MOO2 style tactical combat system that we developed and released as the tactical combat demo on our website. We switched to real time for a few reasons, one being a pacing issue for combat towards the end game. All of the mechanics we had talked about to enhance the MOO2 style system (flanking, armor facings, subsystem targeting) are in the updated system.

As for influences on species, what we wanted to do was go back to the drawing board a little bit which is why for instance the Katraxi pull more from Niven's Kzin. We also wanted to give our species a bit more of a background and character than you see in the Master of Orion or Star Drive species. So things like where escape pods are placed and deck layouts are informed by a bit of the society of each species. Our lead artist put a lot of thought into the designs and it really paid off. (which wanting to show off proper ship scales and such also lead to some of the design shifts in tactical that moved us over to real time)

Our silicon species, the Tulocks, we're trying to flesh out a little more than the Silicoids were. On our site we have some dev diaries covering each species:
http://www.lordofrigel.com/news/species-series-15-tulock/
One thing with the Tulocks is giving them a bit of a unique life cycle. We're also going to be adjusting a lot of species traits during testing because we had interesting emergent bugs like the Katraxi sitting around and doing nothing (due to cumulative farming and High-G penalties), and the Tharrn literally cannibalizing themselves and engaging in eternal rebellions due to low morale.

Anyway we're looking at a lot of the current titles (nuMOO, Polaris Sector, Stellaris) and taking notes on what seems to work and doesn't work. Despite some shifts we've done we're quite serious about delivering a strategic game that feels more like Master of Orion 2 but expands on the end game (grand menaces, active elder species). There's a lot lessons to take from Star Drive 2 and its expansion on what works and doesn't work for us, which might not be the same as for the community necessarily but we hope it will align :)

Speaking of art, we did do some updates on the Tharrn's color patterning (a little more of a Babylon 5 vibe now).
Tharrn Behemoth (View in 3D)

The Tharrn Behemoth (their planet killer supercap) is probably one of the biggest non-elder species ships in the game (34km). Mostly due to the fact that their tech is a bit behind the other races and so need more space and volume to do the same things.

In a straight fight between this and a Death Star, let's just say that the Tharrn would be taking a lot of Imperial captives to eat.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 18, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm looking forward to having Moo 1.5, Moo 2.5, and stellaris all coming soon. Seems to be a golden age for space 4x suddenly, or at least a lot of supply.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm looking forward to having Moo 1.5, Moo 2.5, and stellaris all coming soon. Seems to be a golden age for space 4x suddenly, or at least a lot of supply.

Just spend $15,000 on a Star Citizen package and command a fleet from the bridge of your big ship or w/e. imo

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Well if we followed the Star Citizen business model it'd be $150 for the Selach Titan!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
That's way better value for the size!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So, a few of us have been playing Stellaris and taking notes on some things we might be doing down the road in LoR, but in terms of big updates we've been working on a second trailer from the Arcturan perspective:

So you'll get to see a few species in action being pitted against each other by the elder species!

• Locked thread