Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014
if you think spamming 'hilarious' shitposts is 'trolling' i think you might be better off trying your luck on 4chan

also eonwe is actually funny when he posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

panda clue posted:

if you think spamming 'hilarious' shitposts is 'trolling' i think you might be better off trying your luck on 4chan

I never said I was trolling. You did.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

"i think you will find that i am in fact a big idiot, it is you who prescribed intelligence and malice to my posts"

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

NecroMonster posted:

"i think you will find that i am in fact a big idiot, it is you who prescribed intelligence and malice to my posts"

This one gets it.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

you need the legacy version of his posting for there to be any intelligence. unfortunately it is no longer available, so the Good Posting build is dead in the water.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ezekeel posted:

Having OP legacy items that are best-in-slot and better than anything you can find in the game nowadays ruins gear progression for me which is a large part of the motivation to play this game.

It may have been posted in a dismissive tone, but the recommendation of Diablo 3 is honestly a good one. PoE is about rerolling often and trying new builds, and while striving for and farming for dozens of hours for the Perfect Character or best-in-slot gear, never actually attaining it. Hell, they deliberately left out the achievement for reaching level 100, while there is one for 90. While Diablo 3 is very much geared towards getting to max level, farming post-endgame content until you finally work your way up to the designated Best Items, and then waiting for the next content update to push the goal even higher.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm gonna play blade vortrex first since it looked cool last league but I didn't get a chance to try it. Was gonna go assassin for max crits unless anyone has a better idea to throw out.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

voltron lion force posted:

I'm gonna play blade vortrex first since it looked cool last league but I didn't get a chance to try it. Was gonna go assassin for max crits unless anyone has a better idea to throw out.

scion berserker + assassin would also be a good pick. less crit, but more damage and free life leech (rodent dont read this)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Someone on alpha was playing Blade Vortex, can't remember who, but it was pretty good. There's even a helm enchant that adds a solid amount of increased AoE for it which is pretty huge. Assassin should be really good as Blade Vortex(even with the nerf) attacks so fast that the 10% chance of power charge on non-crit should work great. Though weirdly enough it might be one of the few spells where picking Ambush isn't worth it and you likely want Toxic Delivery instead.

Other good options include about a million picks from Scion, Inquisitor, Occultist and Pathfinder.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 2, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I did a full physical damage + poison blade vortex build in talisman and it ended up being strong as loving hell. But a pathfinder build with some crit and some increased aoe is probably way way stronger than what I did. Potions are just loving crazy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I find I keep going back to a necromancer style build when there are new spectre minions and skills for it, and the necromancy class looks bonkers with offering effecting the player.
Minion builds are always great when starting fresh for building up your stockpile and knowledge for a second build.

Last time I played, Reave with a statstick unusable weapon was fun in a screenwide AOE cone and crazy fast whirling dashing everywhere sorta way.

I've never actually played a totem focused build, always seemed a bit boring and that's from someone who played a lot of minion builds, is it boring or just my impression?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cinara posted:

Someone on alpha was playing Blade Vortex, can't remember who, but it was pretty good. There's even a helm enchant that adds a solid amount of increased AoE for it which is pretty huge. Assassin should be really good as Blade Vortex(even with the nerf) attacks so fast that the 10% chance of power charge on non-crit should work great. Though weirdly enough it might be one of the few spells where picking Ambush isn't worth it and you likely want Toxic Delivery instead.

Other good options include about a million picks from Scion, Inquisitor, Occultist and Pathfinder.

Nugi's running blade vortex with MoM & permaflask

how does Instruments of Virtue interact with stuff like CoC, mjolner, etc.? Do those triggers count as "casting" a spell?

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Moddington posted:

It may have been posted in a dismissive tone, but the recommendation of Diablo 3 is honestly a good one. PoE is about rerolling often and trying new builds, and while striving for and farming for dozens of hours for the Perfect Character or best-in-slot gear, never actually attaining it. Hell, they deliberately left out the achievement for reaching level 100, while there is one for 90. While Diablo 3 is very much geared towards getting to max level, farming post-endgame content until you finally work your way up to the designated Best Items, and then waiting for the next content update to push the goal even higher.

I definitely will try D3 at some point when I can get it cheap bundled with the addon.

But I also will give PoE another chance. Download is almost finished and I might as well soak up the free content. Last time I played was the season before Aztiri.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I wanted to do Inquisitor crit Shock Nova first but I watched mathil try out a simple Berserker 2H RT Earthquake build and it looks really fast and fun so I might go for that. The initial hit already does a good amount of damage and has good AoE so for most trash you don't even need to 'wait' for the actual big hit.

Also have a vid of Pohx being Pohx by smoking some dank kush right before streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZV7hZmIuhI

I have no idea what Texas drug laws are like but that seems like a Bad Idea.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Could you stack for instance the aoe from hierophant with an aoe gem and get screenwide blade vortex

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Rashomon posted:

Can we start talking about what everyone's first build is gonna be?

I'm super boring, and have heard or seen no notice of nerfs incoming so I'm going ele bows into voltaxic with pathfinder and the ranger flask nodes. It should be even better than last this league.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Ekster posted:

I wanted to do Inquisitor crit Shock Nova first but I watched mathil try out a simple Berserker 2H RT Earthquake build and it looks really fast and fun so I might go for that. The initial hit already does a good amount of damage and has good AoE so for most trash you don't even need to 'wait' for the actual big hit.

Also have a vid of Pohx being Pohx by smoking some dank kush right before streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZV7hZmIuhI

I have no idea what Texas drug laws are like but that seems like a Bad Idea.

Why Smokers are Obnoxious 101.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
All I know is I want to do something ranged; bows have been fun before. Beyond that, I'm not sure what all there even is these days, I'm still trying to get caught up from when I played before...

e: and I'm not terribly interested in the flask stuff in Pathfinder

Hauki
May 11, 2010

also per chris w just now, expect patch notes "early this afternoon"

its like 8am in their moontime, so

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Cinara posted:

Oro's Flicker Strike with Slayer - Have never played this before but saw a lot of very promising info from last league. There's other good Ascendancy classes for it, but you want to stay on the left side of the tree.

I think the Chieftain Oro's Flicker build is probably better than the Slayer build.

Chieftain would be something like this (POESkillTree url): https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...vMRY_2xQkbXUEc=

Slayer something like this: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...-0g4XOiAASzwGY=

Jewel socket below Duelist is for a Fireborn Jewel to turn the two-hander stuff nearby into fire.

I think the Chieftain build will be able to maintain full Endurance Charges and that will be the big difference. Chieftain could put Melee Splash on Flicker for clearing trash in the slot Slayer puts Fire Pen and then swap in Fire Pen on bosses.

Flicker Strike-Multistrike-Weapon Elemental Damage-Fire Pen/Melee Splash-Chance to Ignite/Faster Attacks/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun/Stun/Empower for 5 and 6, depending on where you have issues. I'm pretty sure Empower is better than Enlighten if you're rich. Empower gets you Base Attack Damage, More Attack Speed, More Elemental Damage from your key gems. Enlighten gets you Increased Damage, Increased Melee Physical (worthless), Increased Elemental Damage.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Could I get away with running an attack build with no RT and minimal accuracy investment if I'm running Poacher's Mark with Blasphemy? With the curse effectiveness nodes I'm taking, it should result in about 50% less evasion for everything I'm hitting. I'm not even making a crit build, I just want to take Elemental Overload for that sweet 40% more elemental damage to my purely elemental attacks. But then, less hits means less life and mana on hit, and this also makes me even more screwed against curse immune enemies. Maybe this would be an excuse to take Juggernaut.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I saw the guy running pathfinder blade vortex and it did look strong, but seemed like it wouldn't really shine until you get a taste and vinkters. I like the berserker/assassin suggestion though as I was planning on taking vaal pact anyways.

With the basic assassin though, how worth it is it to spend 3 points to get a 6th power charge? It seems like it would add enough crit to be worthwhile, but you might go over cap even with basic crit gear.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Rashomon posted:

Gonna do my probably-dumb permanent poison/high chance to bleed on hit bow Duelist idea.

Worst case, I'll get far enough to farm something for another character.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Just how vulnerable is EA to reflect? I've never played the build before but want to run it as my first HC attempt.

I want to run as Champ for the permanent Fortify b/c I always die to dumb poo poo and this will probably be better defenses than a Scion zerker/raider w/ VP.

From what I read, VP is the only real way to mitigate reflect with EA...

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Rashomon posted:

Flame totems marauder. The totem nodes on Chieftain look pretty great, plus I did flame totems templar in the last three leagues, so it's time for something different.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Rashomon posted:

With Assassin, the tree and maybe a crit weapon or two you can get any 5% crit chance skill to 95%, which leaves the rest of your gear free for basically anything. I'm using a couple of crit daggers and going MF caster with 95% crit chance and whirling blades, but there are lots of options.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Aegis RF balloon.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I guess I'm thinking maybe a hybrid inquisitor lightning thing for first char, or maybe just CA for mf'ing again

Earthquake/sunder berserker also looks fairly decent so far, and I still haven't actually played BV. There are a lot of ascendancy classes I wanna test though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Quick question while I'm theory-crafting yet another build: I know that generally speaking you should aim for 150% max life from the tree, but how does that rule work for Witches and +%ES?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

whypick1 posted:

Quick question while I'm theory-crafting yet another build: I know that generally speaking you should aim for 150% max life from the tree, but how does that rule work for Witches and +%ES?

200%+

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

whypick1 posted:

CI or hybrid? If you are going hybrid you want 300% between life and ES. If CI I'd try to get 200%.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

so you get a total of 6 ascendancy points right?

why did I think you got 8?

also I'm fairly stoked for new leagues now, unfortunately work is a shitshow and I've got inlaws in town for like the next five days. RIP playtime.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
funman just got me 21 with an aziri kill, thanks :3:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Bugsy posted:

CI or hybrid? If you are going hybrid you want 300% between life and ES. If CI I'd try to get 200%.

Hybrid, I'll never be rich enough to do a CI build. What I've got right now is %233/%89 ES/Life, so I'm good there.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Hybrid, I'll never be rich enough to do a CI build. What I've got right now is %233/%89 ES/Life, so I'm good there.

I don't know the % numbers but I think in the end you'd want around 3000 life and 5000 ES. The life might be a little bit low in your case unless you have good chaos resist.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I'm trying to think of a decent life-based ED/contagion build, and this is what I've come up with. It's triple curse so temp chains, enfeeble and vulnerability on blasphemy, as well as clarity if need be. Hence all the aura nodes. Maybe could get away with less -reserved?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Trying to figure out how much crit chance I might need for a build, how does the critical strike chance actually add up? If I have like 305% increased crit chance from the tree and then 7 power charges, is that a total of +655% chance to crit? So a 6% crit spell would have 45.53% crit chance before any gear/curses/etc.?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Trying to figure out how much crit chance I might need for a build, how does the critical strike chance actually add up? If I have like 305% increased crit chance from the tree and then 7 power charges, is that a total of +655% chance to crit? So a 6% crit spell would have 45.53% crit chance before any gear/curses/etc.?

Correct. You can now also increase the base crit chance with the crit chance gem and the assassin subclass (and the scion variant of assassin)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

100% exactly correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Hauki posted:

Nugi's running blade vortex with MoM & permaflask

how does Instruments of Virtue interact with stuff like CoC, mjolner, etc.? Do those triggers count as "casting" a spell?

I don't think triggers have ever counted as casting a spell.

As for first build, I'm really psyched for Assassin since you can basically run whatever you want and have cap crit chance forever once you get your ascendancies. I'll probably level as ED/contagion and evolve into the crit staff infernal blow build I've been yammering on about in the IRC when I can get hold of a decent staff.

• Locked thread