Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

On mobile, so not a thorough search, but I see nothing specifying aTV4 and it claims to be keyboard input...

Well it says AppleTV (not 4 specifically) but I'm willing to give it a try.

Do Bluetooth keyboards have equivalents to the remote gestures? Like left arrow key = swipe left, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Martytoof posted:

Well it says AppleTV (not 4 specifically) but I'm willing to give it a try.

Do Bluetooth keyboards have equivalents to the remote gestures? Like left arrow key = swipe left, etc.

Bluetooth keyboards aren't supported by the aTV 4. That's my point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Do not get 1Keyboard if you have AppleTV 4. It will not work.

I bought it some time ago to use with previous generation Apple TVs (and it works great with those). But I literally tested it a couple minutes ago, and the ATV4 will not even see it to pair with (you're basically pairing your computer to the ATV via Bluetooth)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh lame. I thought an ATV4 update with bluetooth keyboard support was pending :(

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I've owned every single iPhone model and have yet to break a screen. I've dropped the AppleTV remote once and it completely shattered. Like it's almost impressive how much damage a 2 foot drop did to the drat thing (to be fair, it was onto concrete). Still works, and I'm not shelling out another $80 to replace it, but drat. I'm not even really that upset about it, tbh.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Martytoof posted:

Oh lame. I thought an ATV4 update with bluetooth keyboard support was pending :(

Yea isn't this coming in the 9.2 tv OS update?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Vintimus Prime posted:

Yea isn't this coming in the 9.2 tv OS update?

Supposedly, but after the trackpad disappearing from iOS 9 on iphone 6+ in the transition from beta to GM, I wouldn't hang a purchase on the possibility of future compatibility, especially if they only end up allowing them for text entry and/or games or botch keyboard support in any other way.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

empty baggie posted:

I've owned every single iPhone model and have yet to break a screen. I've dropped the AppleTV remote once and it completely shattered. Like it's almost impressive how much damage a 2 foot drop did to the drat thing (to be fair, it was onto concrete). Still works, and I'm not shelling out another $80 to replace it, but drat. I'm not even really that upset about it, tbh.

It's always a two foot drop. Always.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's always a two foot drop. Always.

Honestly, looking at the table now, it is more like 2 1/4 feet, but still...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
29-30 inches is standard table and desk height, it's not surprising at all that many drops happen from that height. The joke was a swing and a miss.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

29-30 inches is standard table and desk height, it's not surprising at all that many drops happen from that height. The joke was a swing and a miss.

Onto concrete. Which room of the house has concrete floors? Sounds luxurious

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
It's happening

Sling TV App Briefly Appears in Apple TV App Store, Hinting at Upcoming Launch
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/02/sling-tv-coming-to-apple-tv-app-store/

Some poor intern is probably in deep poo poo right about now

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Awesome, that might be what gets me to drop Comcast.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't know about the tv package part of sling, that sounds quite neat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they had USA, I'd be dropping my cable service immediately.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Onto concrete. Which room of the house has concrete floors? Sounds luxurious

A sunroom that used to be a concrete patio with unfinished floors, if you must know. I haven't laid tile yet, but I assume the results would have been similar.

Edit: it could have just as easily been my unfinished basement, where my sunroom setup used to be. Or even possibly my garage where my OG Apple TV is set up, though the drop from my work bench would be about 3 1/2 feet or so. Pretty luxurious, eh?

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 3, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, Apple is fixing the bugs I reported on Apple TV day 1. So that's good. But they want me to install the beta to test them??? I guess they think only devs use radar.

I don't even think I can install the beta.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Re: Sling

Update: The person who submitted the screenshots and information to MacRumors has admitted that it was a hoax.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So what's the go-to method of hooking up the new Apple TV to digital audio?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Feenix posted:

Re: Sling

Update: The person who submitted the screenshots and information to MacRumors has admitted that it was a hoax.

Why do people do poo poo like this? I hate humanity sometimes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ufarn posted:

So what's the go-to method of hooking up the new Apple TV to digital audio?

Have an amplifier/receiver that takes HDMI input and decodes the audio stream and sends the video via HDMI out?

Either that or HDMI to TV, audio out from TV.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Anyone know how to jump to an inning in the MLB app on a 4? I know it used to work on the 3, but on my 4 I only get fast-forward or 10sec skip, or the highlights when I swipe down.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

empty baggie posted:

A sunroom that used to be a concrete patio with unfinished floors, if you must know. I haven't laid tile yet, but I assume the results would have been similar.

Edit: it could have just as easily been my unfinished basement, where my sunroom setup used to be. Or even possibly my garage where my OG Apple TV is set up, though the drop from my work bench would be about 3 1/2 feet or so. Pretty luxurious, eh?

Please don't make me look bad by posting reasonable responses thanks man.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Anyone else having constant audio-sync issues with HBO Now?

I have to pause it every 10 minutes to fix it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a beef with how some apps handle the ATV4 falling asleep, or maybe waking from it.

If I'm playing an episode of anything in CraveTV and instead of exiting back to the menu I just hold the TV button to put the ATV to sleep, when I wake up and menu out and try to play a different episode I get the generic "this poo poo isn't available in your area" error that every app seems to love popping up every now and then. Same seems to happen with Netflix. I don't know how the apps work behind the scenes. Maybe some some of timebombed cookie or whatever the iOS equivalent is, but it's really annoying. The only way to fix it seems to be to force quit the apps in question and relaunch them. Not the end of the world but c'mon.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Man, the new atv remote would be perfect for Every Extend. I wish a port would show up in the App Store.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ATV remote would be perfect for Rez

Just sayin'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like Rez, but know a guy who literally bled from his eyes after a massive session of it. Made me relieved that I'm really crap at that game.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like Rez, but know a guy who literally bled from his eyes after a massive session of it. Made me relieved that I'm really crap at that game.

Was it the game or the grip of drugs he was undoubtedly on while playing it?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I made it to the last boss of Rez and did not bleed from my eyes. Rez is cool.

I can't speak for Rez VR.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does the touch remote actually have wiimote-style tracking, or did I just remember wrong? That's the part I think would be good for Rez. Using the touchpad for Rez would legitimately make me bleed out my eyes, I think. Too small of a surface. Rez HD is the only reason I still have an Xbox360 in storage. I just pull it out and hook it up whenever I want to play :unsmith:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Does the touch remote actually have wiimote-style tracking, or did I just remember wrong? That's the part I think would be good for Rez. Using the touchpad for Rez would legitimately make me bleed out my eyes, I think. Too small of a surface. Rez HD is the only reason I still have an Xbox360 in storage. I just pull it out and hook it up whenever I want to play :unsmith:

It has an accelerometer and gyro, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't keep track of it's position relative to the ATV.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is why Every Extend would work well. Don't you just need a single button for that game? And drugs?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Was it the game or the grip of drugs he was undoubtedly on while playing it?

I don't think the guy has ever touched anything dodgy in his life, which makes me wonder how he got into Rez in the first place.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think the guy has ever touched anything dodgy in his life, which makes me wonder how he got into Rez in the first place.

I haven't either, but I still like Rez a whole lot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I guess Plex updated last night and today I'm getting an error on my ATV4 about uh oh refresh code didn't work.

Anyone know what the gently caress?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
iOS version of Netflix app updated a few weeks ago and we're still left with this dogshit version for tvOS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
And we will probably have it for a long time because it's basically the same interface on all set top boxes now. I think they were going for UI consistency.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
My RPi2 with Kodi has died and I'm deciding between buying an RPi3 or an AppleTV.

Any thoughts from anyone who has come from Kodi? Would you go back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bigis posted:

My RPi2 with Kodi has died and I'm deciding between buying an RPi3 or an AppleTV.

Any thoughts from anyone who has come from Kodi? Would you go back?

Are you invested in the Apple ecosystem? What was your real purpose for running the Raspberry Pi with Kodi?