Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I was exploring in The Witness and found a statue with a penis. Between this and Firewatch , is this the beginning of 2016 the year of the penis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I was exploring in The Witness and found a statue with a penis. Between this and Firewatch , is this the beginning of 2016 the year of the penis?

There's a penis in Firewatch?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

al-azad posted:

There's a penis in Firewatch?

Right at the start. Can't miss it.

Mandatory Man Meat.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Sometimes I wish there really was a conspiracy to end all Gamers.
Why not start your own? All of history's greatest conspiracies started as just one person with an agenda.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Right at the start. Can't miss it.

Mandatory Man Meat.

Oh yeah, the sketch. Henry is a funny character. He's portrayed as a bear but his model has funny little stub legs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Woffle posted:

You're arguing with someone who isn't here. I haven't played it, I'm just going by what I've heard (from people who played, and loved, the game). So, now I have heard from them that a lot of the puzzles are sequential dinner tray puzzles (good term!) and from you that it's 100% wrong. :shrug: I don't care enough to argue about it, definitely not before playing it.

Your feelings towards The Witness are valid because they're based in what the game is about. I just started to listen to VGHD, and they had a good small segment about it last week. There are 500+ "dinner tray" puzzles, but Jon Blow insists that the game isn't about that; he says that the game is actually about the environmental ones and the pillars. But it's Jon Blow doing what Jon Blow does: (Jon) blowing hard.

I like the game, I think it's great. I'm fairly agnostic towards Jon Blow's thesis about video games and think that he's a good designer not because of or in spite of his philosophical stance on video games. I think he's an interesting guy and he could be significantly worse (see: Ken Levine, Chris Roberts, etc).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Woffle posted:

You're arguing with someone who isn't here. I haven't played it, I'm just going by what I've heard (from people who played, and loved, the game). So, now I have heard from them that a lot of the puzzles are sequential dinner tray puzzles (good term!) and from you that it's 100% wrong. :shrug: I don't care enough to argue about it, definitely not before playing it.
Basically this exact conversation happened when The Phantom Pain came out and you hadn't played it but had borrowed opinions that you put across as truths and people said "No, actually, that's not the case" and you repeatedly played exactly the same card of "That's just what I heard so..."

When this becomes a pattern maybe you shouldn't act like people are "arguing with someone who isn't here" yet stick to your initial guns while claiming to not care enough to argue. Your sources are unreliable, or reductive with their impressions enough to mislead.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

Basically this exact conversation happened when The Phantom Pain came out and you hadn't played it but had borrowed opinions that you put across as truths and people said "No, actually, that's not the case" and you repeatedly played exactly the same card of "That's just what I heard so..."

When this becomes a pattern maybe you shouldn't act like people are "arguing with someone who isn't here" yet stick to your initial guns while claiming to not care enough to argue. Your sources are unreliable, or reductive with their impressions enough to mislead.

You realize the horrible strident opinion you're railing against is:

quote:

I'm scared off by the price tag, Jonathan Blow's personality, the fact that it's solving a bunch of puzzles that could, for the most part, be done on paper and the fact that apparently there's an optional puzzle that requires listening to a GDC speech that JBlow likes. It has an air of patronizing that stokes my contrarian streak. That is a cocktail of turn-offs for me.

That said, I'd like to try it when I"m more economically sound or it goes down in price. But I'm not in a rush.
Like literally the entire rest of the "argument" is other people.
And TBF most of that is exactly why I don't want to play the Witness in any great hurry too. Come at me.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 29, 2016

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Akuma posted:

Well written.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Akuma posted:

Your sources are unreliable, or reductive with their impressions enough to mislead.

What qualifies you as a reliable source?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Holy gently caress this is not debate class, it's just a guy articulating why he hasn't played a game (yet). Who cares about his "sources", he could've just answered "nah not interested" and it would be an equally valid point.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Gary has committed crimes against the honor of podcasting and we won't rest until he serves time in pod jail.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I wonder how you decide if you're interested in things. Is it by hearing people say things about them? That's my guess. How do you handle the dissonance when two people tell you different things? How do you handle it when it's one person you trust and have interacted with versus another person that you haven't? I bet it's the same way I do.

Also, "qualified source."

I'd also like to remind you I didn't just jump in here to say, "HEY EVERYONE, I"M NOT INTERESTED IN THE WITNESS!" We were asked if we planned on covering it so I explained why.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 29, 2016

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Please bold and underline 10 reason why you have not played this game. DO NOT forget the notations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's okay to separate the artist from the art.

Unless it's Jason Rohrer.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Does anyone use a desktop podcast manager? It's getting kind of tiresome manually downloading all these podcasts. I use to Ziepod but for some reason one day it started downloading files slowly.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

Does anyone use a desktop podcast manager? It's getting kind of tiresome manually downloading all these podcasts. I use to Ziepod but for some reason one day it started downloading files slowly.

Clementine works okay for this. I use it to catch podcasts and toss them into my Plex server so I can listen while playing PS4 games.

If there's a better catcher though, I'd love to know.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Holy crap, Gary mentioned "War Gods" and all I could think of is a giant green and black character. I just remember all of the Nintendo Power ads/columns, but it came back to me immediately.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Welp. Don't listen to this week's Bombcast if you're trying to avoid Dark Souls 3 location spoilers.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Beard Yawn posted:

Welp. Don't listen to this week's Bombcast if you're trying to avoid Dark Souls 3 location spoilers.

Thanks for the heads-up, it was next in my queue. Over a month to go and already having to avoid spoilers. It may be advisable to spend the first 11 days of April in a Faraday cage.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Beard Yawn posted:

is the episode 20 minutes of "uhhhh lets not spoil it guys" followed by them dancing around it followed by just spoiling stuff anyway

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Nope, Brad just casually drops a pretty huge spoiler with no warning.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They just say the name of an early-game location. I watched a 'first thirty minutes' video and the thing that is spoiled is place you get to maybe 15 minutes in. YMMV if you consider it huge.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

NmareBfly posted:

They just say the name of an early-game location. I watched a 'first thirty minutes' video and the thing that is spoiled is place you get to maybe 15 minutes in. YMMV if you consider it huge.

If that's the case, it's probably the same thing I had spoiled for me by the Dark Souls Facebook entity in a blurb about a video they were posting. Would have preferred not to know, but if people are dropping it casually this early it was probably unavoidable.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If that's the level of information you'd consider a spoiler, go live in a cave with your fingers in your ears

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Milkman posted:

If that's the level of information you'd consider a spoiler, go live in a cave with your fingers in your ears

It won't do any good if Brad's always doing his best to get his fingers in there too

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fawf posted:

It won't do any good if Brad's always doing his best to get his fingers in there too

They say the name of the game they're gonna talk about so if you want zero info whatsoever you can just shut it off when they say something like "So I played Dark Souls 3 today"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If hearing the name of a location in the beginning of a game counts as a spoiler, then it's impossible to have a meaningful spoiler-free conversation

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I hear the name of the game that ruins the experience for me. I only play games truly blind; someone else chooses and launches them for me.

I listen to gaming podcasts for the clever and stimulating interplay between the hosts not the games themselves.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone feels spoiled by the name of an area in a videogame they are a colossal idiot and should probably be euthanized.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Hey guys I'm not sure but I think this new game called dark souls three has Similarities and References to the other games in the dark souls franchise

How do I get ahold of the gametheory guy, this could be a big deal

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

The specific name has pretty strong lore implications for the series though? For an equivalency, before DS2 came out I wasn't bothered by knowing the name Forest of Fallen Giants, but I would have been pretty bummed if someone had told me Ornstein was in the game. :shrug:

I also probably am more bothered by it because Brad is so loving inconsistent about spoilers. This is the same dude who hemmed and hawed for an hour about saying the tiniest things about The Witness.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Does it rhyme with "delight frown"?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If I went into DS3 completely blind then yeah when the title card for Firelink Shrine showed up with the dooonk sound I would probably have done an :aaa: of wonder and excitement for a moment and that moment will now not exist for me, but I assume there will be plenty of other things like that so I can't say it's a big deal to me personally. I'd say things shouldn't count as spoilers if they're in the first half hour or so of a game, but then there's stuff like Firewatch that apparently has significant events in the intro that I don't know because people have been kind enough to to not talk about them too openly. :shrug:

Basically some minor poo poo is going to get spoiled and I'd rather that happen than endless hemming and hawing. Best solution is to timestamp things and include it in the podcast description (ie, 'discussion on X game ends at T time') but that's a bunch of extra effort and note-taking.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can get pretty pedantic about spoilers but c'mon

This kind of reaction is exactly why they dance around the spoiler thing because people always get pissed, and it is why it is never going to change

So either you get people who complain about them talking around spoilers or you get (probably way more) people losing their poo poo because they said something as innocuous as the name of an area, they are probably gonna get a TON of hate mail over this

So either learn to not give a poo poo or I guess ask in a thread like this beforehand if it's that important to you

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beard Yawn posted:

The specific name has pretty strong lore implications for the series though? For an equivalency, before DS2 came out I wasn't bothered by knowing the name Forest of Fallen Giants, but I would have been pretty bummed if someone had told me Ornstein was in the game. :shrug:

Lol. Some people in the world don't have clean water to drink and some people are emotionally distraught from the revelation of a characters appearance in a video game. What a world we live in.

I knew who Keyser Soze was, I knew Bruce Willis was a ghost and I knew Aries died and I still enjoyed each respective media piece as much as I would with blissful ignorance. If your enjoyment of a narrative rests sorely in its mysterious-ness then it mustn't be difficult to keep yourself occupied.

Spoiler warning: life isn't a fairytale, we are all going to die.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Degenerated into There Are Starving African Children comparisons surprisingly quick, not even half a page, impressive

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Degenerated into There Are Starving African Children comparisons surprisingly quick, not even half a page, impressive

I didn't specify African you racist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't make me break out That Ramagamma Quote, Rams ol' pal :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't make me break out That Ramagamma Quote, Rams ol' pal :colbert:

Go for it Invictus, it's going to more entertaining than whatever manga you are peddling to underage kids this week.

• Locked thread